main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Red Dead Redemption -- Discussion for Rockstar's romp in the Wild West

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth-Vassago, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    Which version will be better? I heard PS3 is going to have exclusive content?

2. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010
    Up until a coupla days ago, R* has been swearing up and down that there would be no content differences, but the link I posted above basically says that the PS3 version will include an extra location (Solomon's Folly Gang Hideout) and an extra outfit (Walton Gang Outfit) according to the packaging exterior. Apart from that, R* hasn't said anything else on the subject.

If I had a PS3, which I may have to invest in for L.A. Noire, I would get teh PS3 version for the free OL multiplayer. As it stands, I gotta go with 360 for now.

3. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    Last I heard, LA Noire will be coming out for the 360 eventually. Probably with less content than the PS3 version, though.

4. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    The GI article said simultaneous 360 and PS3 releases but yeah, I think PS3 will definitely get more content. Last bit o' news I heard from Team Bondi was that the game was becoming too big for 360's DVD space. I'm just hoping a full version gets released and content doesn't get cut just to keep both versions the same. L.A. Noire is definitely a Killer App for me. I'd buy a PS3 just to play it, after reading that article.

5. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I don't see why they can't just include all the extra content either as a second disk that you MUST download to the HD to play, or have it be DLC. Unless you are playing on an Arcade or something you will have enough space.

And in this case it doesn't sound as if the extra content is due to the DVD being too full, but a promotional item for the PS3.

Really excited for RDR, I feel prepared after watching about 15 westerns on Netflix. Oh and I'm already pretty sure I am going to play through it like the Boy Scout I am. Well might go nuts a few times but won't save those.

6. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    I just watched Pale Rider, and High Plains Drifter. Man, the only thing that could'a made this game cooler is if they had Clint Eastwood himself to voice the main character--that would've been spectacular IMO.

7. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I think they were talking about LA Noire, not RDR.

8. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Not a giant deal. I pre-ordered mine for 360 for one simple fact: more friends on LIVE. I have over 50 friends on LIVE and about 6 on PS3. No one has mics on the PSN and the chat/party options on PSN are nill. I plan to play this with a group of friends and I want to be able to chatter and mingle when I do so...not wander in silence.

The hideout and outfit are a nice touch, but I'll live. If they come out for DLC in the future, awesome. If it goes the way of the Joker content, I'll eventually pick up the PS3 version so I can get some gaming in with my PS3 friends (what few I have.)

As for the playing cards, I also heard Wal*Mart is doing them. That's a badass bonus, but I already have it bought and paid for at Gamestop (did so before all these great incentives came out, IE: warhorse, guns, etc). So I'll just stick with it.

Speaking of the Warhorse, it appears it is not a pre-order bonus at Best Buy; you just get the code when you buy the game from Best Buy.

[Edit]
    Sidenote: As far as reviews go, the game seems to be shining. I haven't fully read any (for fear of spoilers, and also that "dampering" effect some reviews give), but so far I've seen 9/10 (Games TM, whoever they are), 9.75/10 (GameInformer) and 10/10 (Official Playstation Mag). I'll be peeking at IGN's on Monday before my midnight pickup, but I don't plan to be reading up too much. A lot of copies got out early and people are streaming (aka ruining) the game, so I'm trying to steer clear.

9. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    360 just RROD'ed. Time to head for the Sony camp methinks.

And yeah it was L.A. Noire that they are saying is becoming too large for DVD format. I'm watching Tombstone right now, Next up, The Three Amigos followed by some Cowboy Bebop...

C'mon tomorrow night...

10. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I'm so paranoid that this will happen. Whenever a big game comes out, I get this feeling like it'll happen. I wouldn't be so upset, since I have a replacement plan, but man would it still be a pain.

Right now, in preperation, I'm reading "Blood Meridian". Great book. A bit hard to get into the flow of, but getting me into the "Western" mood. Once I get off work I think I'll watch a Western, too...maybe..."Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", maybe "Unforgiven", maybe "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"? I just want to get tomorrow's work day over with...

11. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Somehow I just saw this?

As far as outfits go, I think there's [at least] 10. I'd list them, but I'm afraid to go look in the old forums I always went to as they're now littered with fools who have the game. I also believe it was confirmed John can get haircuts/shaves. However, I can't link to this either for the reasons stated above. I think we've all seen the picture of John in the fancy suit with no hat, combed hair and no beard...this leads me to believe that those reports were true.

In any event, just a bit more than 24 hours for those of us lucky enough to get Midnight launches here in the 'States.

12. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Mine did that last night, but I think it was caused by a power surge rather than hardware failure as it's working fine now I've unplugged everything and plugged it back in again.

13. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
  14. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    New York Times review.

In the more than 1,100 articles I have written for this newspaper since 1996, I have never before called anything a tour de force. Yet there is no more succinct and appropriate way to describe Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar rides again

15. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    This game is incredible. The feeling and atmosphere is easily the most immersive I've seen in some time. The physics are head and shoulders better than GTA, as are the cover mechanics and gun-play.

The music is some of the best Rockstar has ever done (as for original soundtracks). The visuals are amazing, as is the voice acting. I'd love to comment on the actual story but I haven't touched it yet. I hopped on MP to roam around with a few friends and have been addicted ever since.

There are some hiccups (flying horses, random booting and occasional invislbe guns) but I'm sure Rockstar is aware and these things will be patched.

Overall, the best game I've had the honor to play in a long line of years.

16. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    The campaign's pretty darn brilliant as well. ;)

17. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    QFT, guys. My thoughts...

Red Dead Redemption is the most immersive game I've played in a very long, long time. I was expecting GUN with a little more freedom and customization but my expectaions were completely blown away. I feel as though this game is a Leone masterpiece that was never made, and you get to live it. I cannot find any flaws with this game yet, some four hours into it.

Graphics - Off the charts. This game is the bridge that spans the Uncanny Valley. Okay...Mass Effect 2, GTA 4, Fallout 3...all very awesome games with beautiful, extremely well done graphics, right? This was better. The draw distance is INSANE. I shot a bird that was a mere distant speck, smaller than the period at the end of this sentence, and could still see the puff of feathers and blood which resulted from my kill. The sky and weather are by far the most realistic I've ever seen in a game. The horses could not possibly have looked more realistic, likewise the other flora and fauna.

Gameplay - Never felt more like a cowboy. Best physics in a game I've ever seen. Ridiculously enormous amount of sidequests that could keep me occuppied for a month. And most were organic and already in progress as I approached them. No load, no NPC saying "Oh Noes! Can you go to _____ and fetch/kill _____?". For example, as I was riding along the trail, I saw a man being robbed at gunpoint by some bandits. I promptly drew my cattleman and took out the first two, jumped off my horse and behind a rock (which did NOT feel as though it had been put there for cover, though that's what I used it for) and popped the last in the leg which flew out from beneath him and caused him to begin to fall forward, aimed and squeezed again, this time hitting him in the chest, causing a sudden momentum shift and spin and resulting in the best kill I've ever seen in a game. And then it happened over and over again, every time I went up against more enemies.
    The man being robbed had been winged in the arm during the fight, but stopped to thank me and give me some cash and honor points before continuing on to his next would-be mugging. Combat in general was the most fun I've ever had shooting. The targeting system, by default, will snap to the closest hostile target when the left trigger is pulled but requires you to continue to follow the target manually, giving the combat a very fluid and natural feeling without ever feeling as though the system is helping too much. Played a few mini games like Texas Hold 'em and Horseshoes and both felt like there was no room for improvement.

Sound - TOP NOTCH. The soundtrack sounds like the best Morricone and it's inuitive. When i was loping along out on the prarie under the moonlight, the music was solemn, very fitting, and changed very nautrally to something fast with electric guitars when I was attacked by a mountian lion, changing again to something I would equate to Final Fantasy's victory tune briefly and back to solemn whistling and single string guitar plucks by the time I was back on my horse and off to find more trouble. Most of the time, on games with soundtracks that change like that, I hit moments where the tempo changes out of synch with the action, but i never once felt as though the music didn't fit the scene to a T.

Story - Not very far yet, but it has pulled me in wonderfully. Cutscenes are perfectly paced and the V/O work could not have been better. Almost a shame they didn't use some big names as R* has done before, but only almost as every charcter felt incredibly real and interacted with each other very, very well. The protagonist, Marston, also feels deep and has great dialogue, not just the "Sure, I can do that" attitude of R*'s previous open world games' main characters.

Counting down the seconds till I'm off work and outta here and back on my horse...

18. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    Just started, so far stunned by the visuals. From what I've seen they've done a great job with the geography, and it is so good I could walk outside my house and this still is just as awesome.

19. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Good thoughts, Gundark. I'm in the same boat.

I'm kicking myself in the head for scheduling a test tomorrow morning, early, when I can think of nothing but trotting along on my horse and causing mayhem (in MP) for the Lawmen.

And to think, there's a whole story and MORE waiting for me...guh.

20. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Thanks! Also, could you post your thoughts on Blood Meridian when you've finished it? I thought about picking that up in preparation for RDR but just kept hearing mixed things and didn't get to it in time. I might still, but would like to know what you thought of it.

ARRGGGHHH!!! three more hours!!!! c'mon...c'mon....tick faster second hand! :p

21. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Sun is sinking in the west
    The cattle go down to the stream
    The redwing settles in the nest
    It's time for a cowboy to dream

Purple light in the canyon
    that is where I long to be
    With my three good companions
    just my rifle pony and me

Gonna hang my sombrero
    on the limb of a tree
    Coming home sweet my darling

Whippoorwill in the willow
    sings a sweet melody
    Riding to Armadillo

No more cows to be ropin'
    No more strays will I see
    'round the bend shell be waitin
    For my rifle pony and me
    For my rifle my pony and me

22. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    So I own Red Dead Revolver and have been a fan ever since it was released back in 2004. Is Red Harlow involved at all in the sequel? I loved how "Clint Eastwood" he was.

[image=http://www.gamercenteronline.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/road01.jpg]

[image=http://thor.mirtna.org/oddities/lookalikes/pics/red_red_dead_revolver_-_clint_eastwood.jpg]

[image=http://www.noe-v.com/images/articles/rdr2004.jpg]

23. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I'm about half-way through 'Meridian and it is unsurprisingly fantastic. A bit strange to get in the "groove" of, what with McCarthy not using quotation marks for converstions and some of the vocabulary being a bit dated, but if you enjoy the Wild West and are enjoying RDR you will no doubt enjoy Blood Meridian. It's a great tale thus far, and Rockstar has stated they drew inspiration from it. And for that, the two go hand-in-hand.

*Stares at clock*

One more hour. Sadly, I won't get much time with it tonight, but I have the next two days to enjoy it.

24. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Great pictures.

However, no. I don't believe Harlow is involved in the story at all. Maybe a mention or something (or maybe Rockstar has kept it a big secret this whole time) but to my knowledge, Red would be a senior-ish citizen about the time this game takes place (1911) as opposed to Revolver (late 1880's). But, to put you at ease, Marston is quite a bit awesome himself. ;)

25. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    You know, At first I wanted a heavy Eastwood influence for the character of Marston but now, oddly enough, after playing a bit I've decided that I'm glad that Marston is not an Eastwood clone. Although he fits the reluctant hero archetype perfectly, I'm struggling to come up with a silver screen analog. Shane, maybe? Kevin Kline from Silverado perhaps, but in background only. Marston really feels like a unique character and doesn't fit any of the above like Harlow mimmicked Eastwood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.