main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Red Dead Redemption-- Spoiler Discussion Thread (**Spoilers**...duh)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth-Vassago, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I never even finished GTA4 even with using the cheats, and I just finished the game.

2. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I thought the same thing...only problem is, I have no idea where the bounty was. I just entered West Elizabeth when I ran into this problem. [face_plain] It's a bit frustrating, as I know this is all I have left; 2 more bounties in WE and 2 or 3 in Mexico, probably El Presido.

Like I said, I contacted Rockstar, but have yet to hear anything. Hopefully the patch coming out will solve the issue...

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Oh crap...I'll have to look at my inventory and hope a bounty poster is NOT there, but I accepted a bounty down in Chuparosa that I'm pretty certain I never finished due to getting sidetrack with other challenges. I hope this won't cause a 99.7& glitch that will not go away.

I'm stuck with the mellee-knife-a-bear hunter challenge and it's starting to become a pain in the arse. I try to hurt it considerably with some rifle/shotty shots before I pull out the knife but when I do, I'm usually mauled instantly before having any chance to recover. What strategy has worked for you guys?

4. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    Strategy that worked for me when I did it was shooting the bear once in the head with an Evans Repeater (maybe see if he can survive 2 shots?) and then pull out the knife and start swinging before the bear actually reaches you, rather than waiting until contact (which will get you mauled real fast)

I'm sure there are other easier ways to go about it however :p

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    2 shots in the leg with a Henry while on a horse made it shy away from the initial attack, then I managed to get a couple of slashes in while on the horse before the bear killed it. It mauled me but I survived, then it was damaged enough to start running...it ran into a tree, I caught up and slashed/circled/slashed until it was dead.

This was the first time I tried to do it and it took about 2 minutes. :p

6. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I managed to do it. Think it took a shot of the Evans to the trunk or close to the face, then started swinging the knife before he got to close. I don't know why I had such a hard time last night...musta been tired.

I really hate the level 10 Survivalist challenge. I really do. I have to crawl all over the damn map to look for two of the same plants I grabbed on the previous 9 levels?! :mad:

7. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    The best way to get the "knife a bear to death" challenge is to wait until you get the "bear chasing some poor dude" random encounter. The bear will ignore you as long as the dude it's chasing is still alive. I shot it once in the butt with the buffalo rifle, then moved in for the knife kill. You might have to chase it for a while, but you wont get mauled.

Those survivalist maps help immensely with the level 10 survivalist challenge. If you commit to getting it done, you can collect 2 of every herb in the game with the same map.

8. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Yeah, it's much easier than it sounds. I think it took me all of around ten minutes with a survivalist map.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Just make sure you save every so often. I almost had the final challenge done when I got cougared and had to start all over. :(

10. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    For those that don't know, the easiest way to do that is to use a horse deed. Instant quicksave from anywhere on the map. :p

11. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It took me FOREVER to figure that out. I assumed the horse deed's were one time use and kept saving it for emergencies. It wasn't until after I beat that game that I found out you could do it as many times as you liked. :oops:

12. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    This never occurred to me at all, I just kept setting up campsites everywhere and sitting through those darn cutscenes :oops: Thanks.

Finished all the ambient challenges last night and got my Legend of The West outfit, now to work on getting the other outfits/killing one of every animal... Not looking forward to attempting Five Finger Fillet again, the last round of that gets me every time [face_frustrated]

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, the horsedeed + survivalist map combo's a blast. That last challenge was easier than it sounded.

Five Finger Fillet's proving out to be my toughest challenge in this game, which is simply ridiculous. Talk about one annoying and broken minigame. [face_frustrated]

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Hmm...so finger fillet at Torquemada wasn't so tough. All you have to do is to eventually run out of challengers, even if you fail once or twice.

I'm at 99.2% completion (argh) and I'm guessing all that's left to do is a few bounties. Some gamefaqs actually say you have to rack in 45 bounties; others considerably less. How many bounties and on which locations you have to rack up in the Xbox version?

15. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    You get a bit more time if you don't skip the other guy's attempts. Also, just memorise the combinations (there's only a couple for each location I think) and just tap them out on the controller. Don't even look at the screen.

16. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    You have to have done 8 bounties in New Austin, 8 bounties in Nuevo Paraiso, and 4 bounties in West Elizabeth. Don't worry if you start getting question marks, I had five or six bounties done in Mexico when I started getting them but they still counted towards my percentage.

17. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    If you haven't done so yet, remember you need to kill at least one of every animal, which apparently includes seagulls and ducks (there are ducks??)

18. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    You can find 'Gulls in West Elizabeth, near the ocean in Blackwater. I've run across very few ducks. I remember when I took out Ross, he was shooting ducks and they were hanging out after it all; that's where I shot mine.

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I've not come across the Unnatural Selection (kill every animal) thing as a requirement for 100% completion in any FAQ I've browsed. As it is, I think I've killed just about every other beastie in the game I've seen (except ducks?) and I still haven't gotten the 'cheevo. Is there an official beastiary/list for that?

20. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    There's a full list here, just scroll down a ways until you see the section for animals. Ducks can be found around Lake Don Julio, just listen for quacking (the one I killed was flying, achievement popped as soon as it went down).

21. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    The "Mo Van Barr" patch, as it has become known, is live. Should be prompted to download upon launching the game.

Thankfully I didn't run into this problem, yet I had a problem with bounties just the same (see above...) not sure if this was addressed in the patch. Doubtful, but shall see.

22. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    Is it up for both consoles? I might have to go check now.

And now that you mention it, I do remember seeing ducks when I came across Ross for the last time, but can't for the life of me remember if I shot one :(

23. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I just checked. It's not up for 360. I must have read posts from a bunch of PS3 owners, or something.

Really annoyed. I loaded my game just for kicks, even though I didn't get the update prompt, and checked that bounty poster that's glitched in my inventory. So, it's still glitched...and this time when I went to load my game, it crashed. [face_plain]

C'mon Rockstar, get with it. This is really pissing me off. I want to get my 100%.

24. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Check your stats, one of the sections (can't remember which, may be Misc) has a list of all the animals you've killed and how many.

25. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    Ah, well I'm on PS3 anyway so that's good news for me! Too bad my brother is currently on there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.