main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Red Dwarf' to Return as a Series?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Story

Sci-fi geeks the world over are rejoicing as news is spreading of a brand new series of cult comedy classic Red Dwarf.

Craig Charles, who has apparently been turning a buck by appearing on something called 'Coronation Street' for the past few years, let slip the shock announcement that he would be returning to his role as the last human being alive, grubby, curry-loving space slacker Dave Lister, later in the year.

The new series is being commissioned by TV channel Dave. Shooting is scheduled for 2011 with broadcast in 2012.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Let it die.

Series 7 & 8 were not great and the 2009 Special was terrible. BBC rightly decided against having anything more to do with it, Dave should do the same (except showing repeats of the old episodes).

Too many comedies suffer from running for too long, the best know when to call it a day. I very much doudt Red Dwarf can get back to being like it was during series 2-6, in which case there is not point in doing more.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Bring it on!

If they're rubbish, then it won't ruin the other episodes. I'll just not watch the new ones again.

But there's always the chance they won't be rubbish...

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Same thoughts here. I'd love to see some new RD. Maybe they will surprise us and make it good.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Nice to see that the new series is coming along. I remember Dave announcing a full new series after the success of Back to Earth (Which I thought was a mixed back but most certainly watchable) and then all went quiet so I had assumed the new season had gone the same way as the movie that was in production about a decade ago.[face_plain]

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I have a bad feeling about this

7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Richie, you have a bad feeling about everything!

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I have a good feeling about Doctor Who & Sherlock coming back as I have faith in the Moff to create quality.

But I have little faith in Dave as anything other than a place to watch repeats of old TV shows, especially when it comes to reviving a classic show that was already failing when the BBC ended it and which Dave did a rubbish special for.

What's next, doing a new series of Dad's Army with the 2 survivng cast members or doing yet another Only Fools and Horses series?
    We should remember the great series as what they were, not try to revive them just because writers aren't good enough to come up with something new and want ratings.

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000

You contradict yourself. You can't have it both ways.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I meant Who coming back for a bew series this year, it's been around since 2005 when it made a comeback.

Doctor Who came back (nearly twenty years after it was cancelled) and it worked, so it continued. Red Dwarf came back and it didn't. Plus Who came back with a new cast and new writers and a completely revised system whereas Red Dwarf is just reassembling the old cast and I would assume will probably continue in much the same manner as it did before.

I wouldn't have been good with Who coming back if they'd attempted to use Sylvester McCoy in the role again and not updated many of the old monsters. Heck they weren't even going to have Daleks at one point which would've been a huge Fail for the show.

If Red Dwarf is to have a successful return I think it will have to be different from how it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.