main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Red Five (Luke/OC) Updated 20 September

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Congratulations on your well-deserved pair of awards!

I'm late here and I apologise - work's been hectic! Especially sorry because you more or less fulfilled my wish and namedropped my personal SW heroine in this chapter. THANK YOU!

This still doesn't change the value of this story, which is now a really, really intriguing AU, I guess?

The parallels between being in tune with the living Force and what I assume are some specific techniques of meditation here on Earth (Vipassana, perhaps?) are very interesting, but the mention of that blindfolded Inquisitor exercise is even more intriguing. For one, it's as much of a leap of faith as the sole fact that Luke is training Valara is. And then, it's also a deliberate, crazy sacrifice for somebody else's ideals, much like Valara's stealing of Death Star plans. Last but not the least, she was blind after the latter, wasn't she? Gorgeously layered, this little vortex of parallels that happen to be juxtaposition at the same time!

And that was just wonderful. For those who are ambitious and who need or feel the need to redeem themselves, sacrifice themselves for whatever ideal et cetera, it works that way! Funny enough, there are all these PT stories with the Old Jedi Order, where this would be frowned upon. But Luke is a trailblazer, he knows Valara deep inside and therefore, he totally knows what he's doing. :)

Now, how would that exactly change Valara's restlesness, which is still present?

...never mind, he already found her another task that requires patience, more suitable for her than simple exercises. Fixing that X-Wing!

And HA! Another great tie with Darth Vader comics and that one certain encounter. APHRAAPHRAAPHRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

...and until then, she's kept grounded, with both of her feet on the soil. Not sure if this was intentional or not, knowing you're a fellow intuitive, it could've come naturally. On top of it, the following also serves to make the flying/grounding contrast even greater.

Good, good, good!

Yet, despite how much of a spiritual guide he is to her, she can make him fly AND keep his feet on the ground, too - all at once.

The very last passage is very dreamy, in a non-romantic and romantic way at the same time. For some reason, it reminds me of @divapilot's story where Rey looks at the skies from outside her know-how home on Jakku and the whole "never stop dreaming" deal is there...solely to be contrasted with Valara prompting Luke to say that he's doubtful every now and then himself.

But the ending totally surprised me! After she makes that remark about blind devotion vs. loyalty, he...almost takes the path of blind devotion.

So many conflicted ideas and emotions all the way through. A wild ride! Can't wait to see where we're going next.

AzureAngel2 and JadeLotus like this.
  2. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Tags: @mattman8907, @EGKenobi @Jedi_Perigrine

11 ABY, Coronet City, Corellia

Luke didn’t get to visit his sister and her family as often as he would like, but when Han contacted him with the news he was entering a swoop-race on Corellia he couldn’t pass up the opportunity to see it. Even though his relationship with Valara had become strained, her expression when he’d mentioned the trip had left him with no option but to invite her along - his self-control wasn’t infinite. They’d spoken little on the journey and once they’d landed she went out to explore the city while Luke headed towards the hotel to meet Leia.

His sister embraced him warmly. “I hope the accommodations are alright,” she said as she pulled away. “It’s the Fifth Circuit so the city is bursting at the seams.”

Luke laughed and headed towards the bedroom. “It’s a palace compared to the Temple,” he said, but stopped short once he’d crossed the threshold. His good mood dissipated as he dropped his bag on the floor and turned on one heel.

“Leia,” Luke said warningly as he stalked back out into the sitting room and glared at his sister. “There’s only one bed.”

Leia smiled sweetly at him. “I didn’t think that would be problem,” she said, cocking her head to one side coyly. “Considering you and Valara share one at the Temple.”

“How...how did you know that?”

Leia laughed and approached, grasping his forearms and peering up into his face. “You aren’t as sneaky as you think you are.”

Luke groaned, wondering who at the Temple had given him away - or perhaps Leia just knew him too well.

“Well your information is out of date,” he grimaced, and in an instant Leia’s smug smile dissolved into concern.

“I thought things were going well between you?” she queried, a deep crease in her forehead.

“They were.” Luke shucked out of her grasp and turned away, rubbing his face tiredly. “She told me she loved me.”

Leia let out a tiny squeal, which she immediately covered with a cough, and Luke turned back to face her. She cleared her throat but couldn’t hide her smile.

“So why am I not planning a wedding?” she teased. “Wait, let me guess,” she held up a hand before he could answer. “You’ve come up with some nonsense reason why it’s too soon, or you have too many responsibilities, or something else equally ridiculous. Honestly Luke, sometimes I wonder if you even want to be happy.”

“That’s unfair, Leia,” Luke said, a little stung by her bluntness. “You don’t know anything about it.”

“Tell me then,” Leia pressed, stepping forward again with her concern returning. But Luke felt warmth in his cheeks - he could share almost anything with his sister, but the intimate details of his relationship with Valara was not one of them.

“Luke.” Leia took his hand led him to sit on the couch. “I see these great burdens you’ve taken upon yourself, and I understand why - it’s our way. But having Han and now Ben - it’s given me such joy, a respite from all the worry of my responsibilities, and a reminder of what I’ve fought so hard for. All I want is for you to have the same - and I’m not saying it needs to be a wife or a family, but you need something other than ghosts.”

“I’m not alone,” Luke reminded her somewhat feebly. “I have my students, and the others at the Temple.”

“But how many of them truly know you, Luke?” Leia pressed. “You are a Master to them, not a man.”

Luke looked down at their joined hands and couldn’t deny her words. “I do want a family of my own,” he said softly, the first time he’d spoken such a wish out loud. “I’ve resigned myself to the possibility that I would never have with someone what you share with Han. But in my heart...that’s what I want more than anything.”

“Then tell me what happened, Luke.” Leia squeezed his hand. “Not the details if you don’t want to, but enough so maybe I can help.”

After Leia left Luke remained on the couch for some time in contemplation. His sister had listened intently to his problems but had not given him much more than comfort - her earlier rebukes and teasing replaced by genuine support. He was sure she was devoting all of her efforts towards solving the problem and would probably have a ten step plan waiting for him the following day.

Luke sighed and put his head in his hands - he was certain that a solution would not be found through will alone, but knew once Leia set her mind to something it was impossible to deter her. The doubt was in his own heart, and he alone had to overcome it.

“Why so glum, Skywalker?” Valara’s crisp voice cut into his thoughts, and Luke lifted his head to see her standing before him with one hand on her hip. Her cheeks were flushed from the outside sun, her hair mussed by the wind and a pleasant smile on her face a galaxy away from the scowl she’d worn the past few weeks at the Temple.

Luke said nothing and followed her as she strode off into the bedroom, ready to explain the reason for the lack of suitable sleeping arrangements. However Valara seemed unconcerned with the room, slinging her bag to the floor and sitting down on the bed, bouncing gently to test the softness.

“I'll find a room somewhere else,” Luke told her.

“Why bother?” Valara asked, shrugging her shoulders.

“Then I'll sleep on the floor.”

Valara laughed. “Why so modest all of a sudden? I promise not to try and seduce you.” Her words were all levity, but then her smile faded as she realised he wasn’t joking..

“I just think it would be...safer,” he said feebly.

“Safer from what?” Valara pressed, shrugging off her jacket and tossing it onto the floor. “Me?” She stood and approached him, her look sultry. The cool air of the room pimpled the bare skin on her arms, and Luke felt his eyes drawn the pulsebeat in her neck and the swell of her breast. Clearing his throat, Luke forced his gaze back up to her face, her expression turned smug.

“Maybe,” Luke said, slightly annoyed at the ease with which she’d drawn him in.

“What are you so scared of?” Valara pressed, leaning closer to him, so that they shared each other’s breath. She ran one hand down his arm, and Luke felt a shiver run up his spine. “I don’t think it’s me at all.”

He held her gaze defiantly, and after a few moments she looked down, her hand dropping back as her sultry air dissipated as quickly as it had come. “When I told you I loved you,” she said eventually, her gaze on the floor. “It wasn’t some ploy to get you into bed.”

Luke sighed. “I know that.”

“Do you?” she challenged him, anger in her eyes when she looked back up. “Be honest, Luke.”

“Alright, fine,” Luke stepped back and waved his hand. “Can you really blame me for being cautious when every step forward we’ve taken over the years has sent you running for the hills?”

“What do you want me to do?” Valara stepped into his personal space again, a scowl back on her face. “Prostrate myself at your feet? Bind my wrist to yours so I can never leave your side?”

Luke’s temper flared. “An apology might be a good start.”

“Oh, I am sorry,” Valara said, her voice brittle. “Sorry because I came back and I told you exactly why. Sorry you let me crawl into your bed and held me and made me believe that this time things would be different.” She breathed in sharply and her lip trembled, cracks forming around her stern facade. “Sorry that you’re scared of what you want.”

She swept past him and out of the room before Luke could even think about a response.

Solo had acquired them a private box above the raceway, and Valara had to admit it was fine indeed - a selection of food and wine and excellent views. Swoop-racing wasn’t Valara’s first choice for entertainment, but it was pleasant enough and she watched the vehicles whip past the viewscreen with a fair degree of appreciation. Or rather, she pretended to while avoiding Leia’s rather probing gaze.

In truth her eyesight was getting steadily worse, and the blur of motion too much for her to focus correctly. Her peripheral vision was all but gone, which for once was a blessing since she couldn’t see Leia’s scrutiny from the corner of her eye.

Luke and Chewie had taken young Ben down trackside to get the “real experience” and given their recent argument Valara hadn’t wanted to intrude. She and Leia had made pleasant chit-chat for a while, both avoiding the last conversation they’d had, years before when Leia had asked her to take the peace treaty to Rakata Prime. Of course Luke would have told her what Valara had intended to do, and she’d been half expecting a severe rebuke from the Senator for almost plunging the galaxy back into war. But it seemed in the intervening years Leuia must have forgiven her, or at least pretended to for the sake of niceties.

“How is Ben doing at school?” Valara asked, counting on a proud mother being unable to resist the temptation to discuss her child at length.

“He’s doing very well,” Leia smiled. “But don’t think you can distract me with my son. Any other time, perhaps, but I’ve set myself a mission today.”

“Oh?” Valara didn’t like the sound of that.

“Yes,” Leia nodded. “And as you well know I always complete my missions, so you might as well give up now.”

Valara was almost amused. “Ah, but as you well know, I don’t surrender easily.”

“A battle of wills would be amusing,” Leia smiled in return. “I could use a decent opponent rather than those half-wits in the Senate. But this concerns my brother, and when it comes to his welfare my focus will not be diverted.”

“Ah.” Valara grimaced. “What did he tell you?”

“Enough for me to believe that the problems between you cannot be unsurmountable.” Leia took a casual sip of her red wine. “I mean you are both adults in your thirties, surely you are beyond this schoolyard nonsense.”

Valara took a melonball and popped it in her mouth, chewing carefully and swallowing. “My teenage years were hardly filled with romantic fancies,” she said idly. “So I suppose I am ill-equipped to deal with such things now.” She’d never truly loved anyone before, and was unsure how to express it properly. She’d tried words, and then to show him physically but he had rejected her.

“I admit even after I talked to Luke I am still unsure what the problem actually is,” Leia said.

“Well that makes two of us,” Valara sighed. “He doesn’t trust me, I guess. I’ve hurt him too deeply too many times.”

“But he loves you,” Leia insisted.

Valara felt the beat of her heart quicken slightly. “Did he say that?”

“No, but it’s obvious,” Leia shrugged. “Why else would he invite you here?”

“I think he felt sorry for me,” Valara said, looking down at her hands. “I was going bit stir-crazy at that damned Temple.”

“No, it’s more than that,” Leia shook her head. “He didn’t want to be without you.”

Valara huffed, downing her wine and plopping the empty glass back on the table. “He can be with me any time he wants. I told him how I feel, I laid everything out there.”

“Are you sure?” Leia’s shrewd gaze studied her again. “Maybe he senses you’re still holding back.”

Valara pondered Leia’s words, gazing out the viewscreen to the racing below. She’d told him about the darkest events in her life, the events she was sure would drive him away and yet he’d met her with compassion and understanding. And yet…

“I never told him why I defected from the Empire,” Valara said softly, her throat constricting.

“Why not?” Leia asked, her voice inviting confidences. Luke had always said Leia was persuasive, a manifestation of her Force abilities, and Valara couldn’t deny it, feeling compelled to trust Leia despite herself.

“The same reason I never told anyone,” Valara said, forcing herself to look up. “Because it was cowardice, not bravery.”

Leia looked intrigued, glancing over her shoulder as if to make sure the door behind them remained closed and leaning in closer to Valara.

“I don’t know how much Luke told you, about the Grand Inquisitor,” Valara began, nervously wringing her hands in her lap to even mention his name.

“A little,” Leia nodded. “He told me he was cruel, and exerted a great deal of power over you.”

“I know I’m responsible for the things I did, but he’s the one who helped make the person who did them.” Valara tasted the bitterness on her tongue, and Leia placed a hand over hers in comfort.

“In truth my faith in the Empire was starting to waver for some time before I left,” she continued, those terrible days flooding back to her. “My Inquisitor sisters and I were sent on a mission to track down a family harbouring Force-sensitive children. And killing them made my sisters so happy - not justified that we’d done something regrettably necessary - no, they’d enjoyed it.”

Leia blinked very hard, no doubt wondering how close she and her family had come to being another problem disposed of by the Empire’s minions. “But you didn’t?”

Valara shook her head - the only consolation of her wicked deeds was that she’d never found pleasure in it. It had been her duty, payment in service for the years she’d been a resource drain in the orphanage.
    “I looked at one of the boys,” she continued. “And he reminded me of...a friend I’d once had. In that moment I realised that there was no difference between me and the boy who’d died, except his purpose had been to die for the Empire, and mine to kill for her. Like the Grand Inquisitor used to say: your life belongs to me, and I will do with it what I will.”

“But you broke free,” Leia insisted, squeezing her hand lightly.

“Only after he was dead.” Valara felt tears burn behind her eyes - ever since the Death Star plans, they had been painful. “I couldn’t bring myself to cleave from his orders until released by his death. So you see?” A tear burned its way down her cheek. “It wasn’t some great defection fueled by a realisation of right and wrong. I was running away, and I’ve been doing that ever since.”

The look Leia have her was so full of sympathy Valara couldn’t stand it. She harshly swiped the tear her face and forced equilibrium to return. “I don’t know why I told you that,” she said, forcing lightness into her voice. “It’s got nothing to do with me and Luke.”

“No, it does,” Leia insisted. “You stopped running and expected Luke to catch you, but you left him too far behind. There’s a distance between you still but he needs to be the one to breach it. Once he knows you’re not going to set off again the moment he catches up, he will trust you again.”

“One more belaboured analogy,” Valara teased, her good mood returning. “And you’re going to start sounding like a Jedi.”

“Oh dear,” Leia laughed. “In that case we need to talk about something else!”

“Wedge!” Luke greeted his friend at the bar, taking a seat on the stool beside him. “I didn’t know you’d be here.”

“I love a good swoop-race,” Wedge told him as the bartender poured them both a glass of whiskey. “And I couldn’t pass up the possibility of seeing Han make a fool of himself.”

“You were disappointed then,” Luke smiled, since Han had come in third - almost unheard of for a first time participant.

Wedge laughed and took a generous swig of his ale. “I saw a good race, and am in a bar which serves 500 year old Whyren’s - it’s impossible for me to be disappointed.”

Luke patted his back in sympathy. “Life as a General that bad, huh?”

“Nah,” Wedge waved his hand. “It’s just peacetime, you know. Lots of patrolling and drills, not much action.”

“Better than the alternative, though,” Luke said, trying to squash his own longing to be back in the cockpit where things made much more sense.

“What’s with all the long faces?” A familiar drawl drew their attention, and Han sauntered over his a lopsided grin. “Not on my day of triumph, I won’t allow it.”

“Congratulations, Han.” Luke’s face split into a wide grin. “That was some damn good flying.”

“Yeah, here’s to you Han,” Wedge raised his glass in salute. “But it’s not much of a party with just the three of us.”

“Chewie said he’d look after Ben tonight,” Han explained as he slipped onto a stool beside Luke. “Leia’s off schmoozing with some Corellian Duke, and Valara gave me a rather begrudged congratulations before heading back to the hotel.”

Wedge laughed. “Not like her to pass up an open bar.”

“You have that in common, then,” Luke needled him, but his thoughts were on Valara. She must be avoiding him - or perhaps just giving him the space and time he’d asked for.

“So what’s going on with you two?” Wedge asked as he nodded to the bartender to leave the bottle and poured them all refills.

“What do you mean?” Luke suddenly found the etching on his glass extremely interesting.

“I mean we’ve all been watching this dance for years,” Wedge said. “But you seem to be hanging out for last call.”

“Not to mention things between you two were pretty frosty earlier,” Han chimed in, and Luke send him a glare of betrayal.

“I’m not sure it’s anyone’s business but mine and Valara’s.”

“Pfft.” Han waved his hand is dismissal. “Please, you left her alone with Leia while the race was on, there’s no way my wife hasn’t already meddled in this real good.”

“I just…” Luke realised avoiding it was hopeless. “This is it. I need to be sure.”

“What do you need to be sure of?” Han questioned him. “You love her, don’t you?”

“Yes.” That, Luke was sure of.

“And you know she loves you?”

“She says she does.”

Han shrugged and took a sip of whiskey. “Well I fail to see the problem.”

Luke had to admit it sounded simple, when said like that. But that underlying fear was still there, that she would run when things got tough. He had so many more responsibilities now, to his students, the the Temple, and while having someone to share those joys with was his greatest wish, Valara was a flight risk in more ways than one.

“Look, Luke,” Wedge put down his glass and turned on his stool to face him fully. “I don’t claim to be an expert when it comes to relationships, and you know I’ve never been Valara’s biggest fan. But I still remember that first night on Yavin - you were so taken with her, and even when I tried to warn you away, you basically told me to kriff off.”

Luke smiled at the memory. “What's your point?”

“You were so certain then, but now you're all doubts.”

Luke paused to take a sip of his whiskey. “I'm not so reckless anymore.”

“I don't believe that,” Wedge scoffed. “Let me put it this way, it's been over ten years since that night. If you're still looking for something in her and haven't found it, I don't think you're ever going to.”

Luke looked down at his drink, mulling the question over. What exactly was he looking for? Trust? She’d been there to watch his back more times than he could count. Honesty? She was right, she’d told him exactly why she came back, for him. Her secrets had been shared with him openly, without reserve as they lay together in the darkness, closer than ever. Love? He supposed it came down to whether he believed her words, and remembering the way she’d looked at him in the moonlight he was certain of her sincerity. They were words she’d never dared speak before, because they left her vulnerable to exactly the kind of rejection he’d given her. So what was left - just his fear that she would leave? All things being equal, it seemed rather a step backwards, to let fear control him and prevent even a glimmer of happiness.

“And if I have found it?” Luke asked, looking up from his glass to see Wedge give him a half-smile.

“If you have, why are you wasting your time talking to me?”

Luke turned to Han, who gave a shrug. “You know what I think, kid.”

Nodding, Luke downed his drink and stood. “Well then, if you’ll excuse me.” He forced himself to walk slowly back up to their room even if inside he was screaming. He took the stairs instead of the lift, giving himself the time to change his mind. But with every sure step he was only further convinced, and by the time he entered the room there were no remaining doubts.

“V?” Luke called but received no answer. He strode to the bedroom and found that empty as well, although heard the rushing water of the shower from the en suite. Luke entered quietly, the room filled with steam although he could see the outline of Valara’s body through the glass partition. She was singing lightly, her voice melodious if a few notes were flat, and although the song was in Basic it was difficult to make out the words.

Luke quickly discarded his clothing, crept towards her and waited for her to notice his presence. It was clear enough when she stopped singing, and for a moment she stayed facing away from him, her shoulders tense as the steam of water pounded against her back. But eventually she turned, and all of her previous anger was gone.

He pressed his lips to hers before she could speak, the kiss deep and full of all his longing. The hot water cascaded over his head but Luke didn’t care, too intent on the feel of her lips, the taste of her tongue. She looked at him quizzically when they parted, but Luke pressed a finger to her lips and shook his head. Later, there would be plenty of time to talk but for now he was desperate for her, and leaned in to kiss her again.

They spent much of the night in each other’s arms, talking as they had once done in Luke’s rooms at the Temple, but this time there were no more barriers between them. Valara recounted to him the tale of her defection, and in turn he’d been honest about his fears which had kept them apart.

“I am sorry,” she told him, tracing his features lightly. “For running when I should have held firm.” Her fingers trailed down over his chin and neck to rest over his heart. “But I always took a bit of you with me.”

Luke smiled and took her hand, pressing a kiss to her palm. “I know.”

“I want to show you something.” She pulled away for a moment, and Luke watched appreciatively as she went to her travelling case and rifled through it, grasping something in her hand. Climbing back into bed, Valara held out a closed fist to him and Luke covered it with both of his hands and gently uncurled her fingers. Something small and smooth dropped into his palm.

It was a jade-green stone, and for a few moments Luke stared at it. Slowly, he traced the smooth ridges and dips, well worn through constant attention. He flipped the stone over to the other side where a symbol was still deeply etched into fibres of the rock.

“I've always wondered,” Valara reached forward and traced the carved symbol with one finger. “What does it mean?”

“You never tried to find out?” Luke looked up from the stone into eyes that were almost the exact same colour.

“At first I didn't want to know,” Valara admitted. “And then after the war, I thought that one day I'd ask you, if I could ever be brave enough.”

“It's an ancient language, from back on Tatooine,” Luke said softly. “It means home.”

“Home,” Valara repeated, a small smile appearing on her face. “I’ve never really had one.”

“I know,” Luke nodded, taking her hand and placing the stone back into her palm and closing her fingers around it. “Neither did I, when gave this to you. I thought maybe it would help you find one.”

Valara’s smile widened, and she gave him an arch look, no doubt remembering that when he’d made the gift they’d only met twice. But then her grip tightened around the stone, and she held it to her chest.

“Did you know then that it would be with you?”

Luke chuckled lightly. “I wasn’t that ambitious. But I knew I liked you - I knew we had that loneliness in common.”

“Not anymore.” Valara reached out to cup his face with her free hand. “I told you once that I didn’t know much about being happy, and that’s because at the time I didn’t think it was possible, at least for me.”

“And now?” Luke asked, keening into her hand as her thumb lightly stroked his cheek.

“Now I know a bit more,” she said, smiling again. “I don’t know what will happen in the future, Luke. I can’t promise that I’ll never hurt you, but what I do know is that I’ll never do it again willingly - I’ll never run when things get tough, I promise I’ll stay and fight.”

“So will I,” he assured her, leaning in to kiss her again. His lips slid over hers as his arms tightened around her again, his heart so free and full that he had no doubt of his promise or hers.

“Well then,” she said as she pulled away, breathless. “I think we should get married.”

He laughed. “What?”

“Married.” Valara repeated, her eyes twinkling with reflected moonlight. “You said once that you wanted to be my family. I was too bitter and angry to appreciate what you meant, but now I know that’s all I want. If the offer’s still open,” she added slyly, looking at him through lowered eyelashes.

Luke laughed again, and lifted her chin so her gaze met his again. “Wait, let me get the holocam,” he teased, kissing the top of her nose. “Otherwise no one is going to believe you said that.”

Valara slapped him lightly on the arm. “So is that a yes, Red Five?”

“Are you sure?” he asked seriously. “This isn’t just to prove a point?”

“No,” she shook her head resolutely. “I love you, and we’ve wasted enough time dithering. Besides,” she touched his face again. “I want to be able to remember what you look like on our wedding day.”

Luke reached down to gently kiss the scars beside her eyes. “Then yes.”

3. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's all I have to say. [face_love]

But wow, I hate you for this. This hurts so good. :_|

Brava for getting them together - at last! A brava for cleaning up all the awards. :D

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved reading about Farnay and Valara being trained - how cool! Luke in teaching mode is just droolicious!

His gift to Valara - teems with caring and confidence in her skilss and future.

The final scene - wow, The secrets shared and her disclosure.
    all those tangled up emotions. =D= Yup, those are valid fears he has but then again whose running, if not with feet, figuratively? :p
    Brilliant characterization and insights into Luke's feelings about choices and did he choose the path he is now embarked on - it's a heavy burden indeed. But Valara's confidence in his abilities and competence - I agree with those.

~~!

The scene with Leia was breathtakingly warm and supportive.

Valara's directness is fantastic. I think Luke will always need a ferocious, outspoken lady to keep his head on straight.

V with Leia - wonderful seeing leia's sympathy and V's unburdening.

Wedge and Han - set things into clarity. What are friends for if not that? ;)

Then the final scene - yuppers, gooified!!

[face_dancing]
    [:D]

5. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Thank you!

In many ways, her training with Luke is a reflection of her Inquisitor training, but this time its the light she's drawing on and developing, in a non-confrontational environment, and this time she's working on techniques that will improve her life rather than make her into a weapon.

By this point Luke has a pretty good idea of how the Old Order worked, and he's smart enough to see the flaws not only in the non-attachment rules, but in the isolation and arrogance in a lot of their teachings. But he also respects the many things they did get right, based on a thousand years of accumulated knowledge, and is adaptable enough to know how to manage each student.

It's something no doubt that has stuck in Luke's memory! And yeah, the X-Wing of course has the personal connection butis also something V would find more productive and enjoyable that other exercises to hone her patience and focus.

The best relationships are complementary, when the characters can add value as well as happiness to each others lives.

Well, I wouldn't call it a path of blind devotion as much as Luke being held back by the baggage of the past, which is considerable. At this point while they're closer than they've ever been, they still to some extent misunderstand and misinterpret each other.

:D:D

But wow, I hate you for this. This hurts so good. :_|[/quote]

Haha, no, you love me for it ;)

Thank you! It certainly took a long time, but as you know, the story is far from over.

He really is a born teacher, despite his doubts about himself.

The X-Wing will certainly be making an appearance again, as V said - it will take years to fix!

I always thought it was rather bittersweet Luke didn't really know what he was signing up for, although I doubt knowing he would have made a different choice. Still, it's meant great hardship in his life, especially knowing what is to come.

Yep! :p

Thank you! Sometimes friends can point out what should be obvious but isn't, because they know you so well.

6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Well, about time!!! I spent so many chapters pulling my hair out with these two, I thought I might become bald.

I love, love, love how you managed the build-up to the great leap forward for them. I don't particularly expect things to become much easier now, but at least they'll be giving it a try.

The way you're integrating elements from the new canon as you go along (and as it is released) is simply amazing. I just finished reading Bloodline, and I can't wait to see what happens when you reach that part of the story.

Oh, and congrats on your well-deserved awards!

7. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

Thank you! Yes, it's taken me a lot longer to get them there than I originally intended, but I stacked the deck with all of their issues and then had to deal with them :p I haven't (yet) read Bloodlines, but I'm trying to keep up and incorporate the new canon as much as I can, and I certainly have a plan which should hopefully fit in well enough.

11 ABY, Organa Memorial Gardens, New Alderaan

The quiet green planet in the Outer Rim wasn’t anything like Alderaan had been, but there were few uninhabited worlds to choose from, and after the war the remaining Alderaanians had grown weary enough of traipsing the stars to finally settle on the remote world. Since then they had devoted themselves to recreating their lost culture, building tall spires of white synthstone that stood among the flat, grassy plains as they once had among the high mountains.

Vast gardens had been cultivated at the centre of the city; a peace park, monument and heritage garden all rolled into one. Leia had been there when it first opened of course, but this was the first time she’d been able to bring Ben and Luke, and she took great pleasure in pointing out the various flowers and plants from her childhood.

“Look Ben,” Leia drew him over to the white marble statues which were the focal point of the gardens. “These are your grandparents.”

Ben looked up at the statue and scrunched up his face. “The King and Queen, right?”

“Not quite, my darling,” Leia squeezed his hand. “My mother Breha was the Queen, and my father Bail was Viceroy.”

“But I thought your father was a Skywalker - a Jedi like Uncle Luke?”

Leia looked over at her brother, who looked down and away, a clear sign that he would let her handle it as she wished. Ben’s dark eyes was upon her, and as always she felt his inquisitive mind grasping for answers - her boy was so clever, in many ways beyond his six years which made it difficult to keep things from him. Leia pushed the thoughts quickly away so he would not pick up on them.

“Yes he was.” Leia stroked Ben’s dark hair. “But I never knew him - and family is more than blood, Ben. Bail Organa raised me, and loved me, and taught me what was truly valuable in life, what was worth fighting for. He was my father, also.” Slightly more tempered words than she truly felt, that Bail was her real father and Anakin a genetic connection only, but they were for Ben’s benefit, and Luke’s as well.

Ben nodded, seeming to accept her explanation. “So why wasn’t he a King?”

Leia laughed, and shared an indulgent look with Luke. “That’s just how things were,” she explained, again brushing back his unruly hair. “The title was inherited through the female line.”

“Oh.” Ben looked disappointed. “So I’m not a prince, then?”

Leia crouched down to Ben’s eye level. “Every little boy is a prince.”

“Mom,” Ben dragged out the word in that way only children can while rolling his eyes.

“Ben.” Leia pierced him with a steely glare, and he was immediately cowed. “I gave up my title because who I am is what is important, not what they call me. And even though this is my heritage, and these are my people, I can do more good back home in the Senate than I ever could as Queen of Alderaan. When I say every boy is a prince I mean that every child is special and should be valued regardless of where they come from, or who their family is.”

“Very well said,” a calm voice spoke up from behind them, and Leia turned to see a tall, blonde woman in a pristine white gown. “Although I’m not sure I can completely agree with the former.”

“Evaan.” Leia rose, moving forward to embrace her old friend. “I wouldn’t have expected anything less.”

“I’m a royalist still,” Evaan said, and then smiled down at Ben. “I’m glad to meet you, young man. I can tell you some stories about your mother from when we served in the Rebellion together.”

Ben looked sceptical - he probably thought Leia had spent her whole life giving speeches. She also knew he was terribly shy and often awkward when meeting new people, to the point where he came across as rude or abrupt. Ben shifted from one foot to the other, and Leia could feel a tinge of his anxiety through the Force.

“Evaan was a pilot, like your Uncle,” Leia prompted, rubbing his back in encouragement.

“That’s right,” Luke chimed in. “She even outflew me once.”

That seemed to get Ben’s attention. “Really?”

Evaan gave an elegant shrug of her slim shoulders. “But to his credit it was only a day after he’d blown up the Death Star, so it pales in comparison.”

“Besides, I don’t think he’d gotten much sleep the night before,” Leia said slyly.

“Indeed.” Evaan gave a pearly laugh. “On that subject, where is your lovely bride to be?”

“Out exploring the city,” Luke told her. “She’ll join us later.” As much as Valara had mellowed over the years, she still had the fierce streak of independence, and had tersely announced she wanted to be out seeing things without assistance while she still could. It pained Leia to think of Valara’s diminishing sight, which she believed struck the woman far deeper than her flippancy would suggest. But she quickly squashed any pity, knowing that Valara would hate to be the object of it.

“I have to say I was surprised that you decided to get married here,” Evaan said, and Leia felt Ben brush against her skirt. Apparently bored with the adult conversation, he took off towards a patch of orowood trees.

“Well we wanted somewhere beautiful, but...private,” Luke explained.

“Well I’m biased, but to me this garden is the most beautiful spot in the galaxy,” Evaan touched his arm fondly. “And you can count on my discretion.”

“Thank you,” Luke told her. “We’re not keeping it a secret exactly, just…avoid the scrutiny of the Core.”

“I understand that.” Evaan nodded. “We live peaceful lives here, and given our history that’s more important than ever.”

Leia forced a smile and looked back at the statue of her parents. They would have liked for nothing more than to live peaceful lives, and perhaps they would have had the chance to, if Vader had never turned. She and Luke disagreed on many things, but they rarely argued to the point where they stopped discussing some matters to avoid conflict. Luke had been persuaded that it was best for everyone if no one else knew the true identity of Darth Vader, but they had argued bitterly over Leia’s choice to also keep the knowledge from young Ben.

Our heritage was kept from us, he’d said passionately. Why do you want to do the same to your child? Leia had pointed out that she’d been quite happy ignorant and she had no desire to cause Ben heartache, especially as strong in the Force as he was - the danger that he would forever worry that his blood was tainted. Which was of course when Luke had grown indignant, again reminding her that Vader had turned to the light in the end, but that final act mattered little to Leia other than that it meant Luke was alive. What Vader had done to her, to her family, the darkness he had wrought across the galaxy - that was his true legacy.

Luke had acquiesced in the end, Ben was her child and so the decision would be as well - and Han’s of course, but he supported her completely. It remained a sore point between them, and Leia wondered how much of Luke’s withdrawal to Devaron, the severing of his official ties with the New Republic to keep his Jedi Temple independent and isolated, was anger with her. Or perhaps Luke had withdrawn from public life because he didn’t trust himself with the secret. Either way, it meant she saw less of him than she would like.

Looking up at the chiseled features of her father’s face, Leia told herself that she’d made the right decision - the same choice he had made. That thought comforted her, although it struck Leia that Luke may very well have children, and she could not force him to keep the truth from them as well. It had not been a proud moment, when they’d argued and she’d said tartly that when he had children he could choose to tell them what he wished. Somewhat a low blow at the time since that had seemed unlikely, and that was when he had conceded at last.

But circumstances had now changed, and although she had not asked Luke or Valara if their future plans included children she hoped that they did. Leia would love a little niece or nephew to spoil, and perhaps a small cousin would help Ben feel less isolated. More than anything, Leia wished she’d had Luke when she was growing up, that constant friend, companion and family her own age that Ben was also missing.

It was with a twinge of acute sadness that Leia pressed a hand against her flat belly, knowing that she could never give him a sibling. Ben had been a pleasant surprise not long after she and Han had married, and the ease with which she had fallen pregnant had made her look forward to more children when they were ready. After the war had ended they had tried, but a simple infection she'd contracted had put an end to those hopes - and the banality of the cause perhaps hurt more than anything else.
    Leia once again pushed aside unpleasant thoughts, reminding herself that the focus should be on her brother's happiness. She looked away from the statue to see Luke gazing at her curiously - no doubt he'd picked up on her disquiet.

"Come," she forced a smile and took his hand. "I'll show you the topiary gardens."

Han was unsurprised to find Valara in one of the downton bars of New Aldera, quietly enjoying a glass of whiskey. He took a seat beside her and motioned to the bartender to pour him the same.

“You found me then.” Valara didn’t look up from her glass, but the corner of her mouth quirked into a small smile.

“It wasn't hard,” Han told her, taking an experimental sip of the whiskey - middle of the range, he noted, the kind to sip and savour, not to get drunk with. “Although this place is a bit more upscale than your past haunts.”

“I don't think Alderaanians do downscale,” Valara noted. “And besides, we didn't have a great deal of choice in the Rebellion.”

“No,” Han agreed, scratching his freshly-shaved chin. “But that was kind of the charm of it.”

“Do you miss it?” she asked.

“Sometimes - but only because they're safely in the past. Besides, a six year old is adventure enough right now.”

“I’ll bet.”

They drank quietly for a few minutes, listening to the gentle trickling of the water feature behind the bar. It felt nothing like old times, which were bawdy and loud, but Han had mellowed over the years and didn’t mind the silence at all. Besides, he’d hoped to find her alone.

“So, the wedding is tomorrow,” he began conversationally. “No cold feet I hope.”

Valara smirked into her drink, as if anticipating exactly what he was going to say. “No.”

“It’s just marriage, you know,” Han leaned casually against the bar. “It’s difficult, and you don’t realise just how much until you’re in there. Even for couples without a cargo load of baggage, it’s hard work. You’d be foolish if you didn’t have a few stray doubts.”

“Are you testing me?” she asked, amused. “Trying to push to see if I'll run?”

Han shrugged. “I like you, Valara, I always have. Luke needs someone like you, and I have no doubt you love him. But I have a long memory, too.”

“Fair enough.” Valara took a sip of her whiskey. “I was expecting the don't hurt him or else speech from one of you.”

“Nah, more like, I hope you're sure, because marriage is a whole different smashball game to whatever you two have been carrying on for years.” Han was serious - he only wanted her to understand. “It takes real commitment, because it's every day, and it's forever. You don't decide to quit one day because you fought over something, or one of those little habits start to drive you crazy, or because you were so swept up in the joy of it all that you never had a proper conversation about how you were going to live your lives or whether you wanted kids.”

Valara narrowed her eyes. “Would it comfort you to know that we have had those conversations?”

“Well...yes.”

“I understand it's difficult to believe, at least for me.” Valara said, putting her empty glass back down on the counter. “You once accused me of not knowing Luke at all, but that's not the case anymore. I think I know him better than anyone else now - even you.”

“Good,” Han smiled, feeling slightly more reassured. “That's how it should be.”

Valara nodded to the bartender, who took the empty bottle of whiskey and replaced it with a full one, pouring her another glass.

“You drink too much, V.”

“Hmph.” Valara took a long swig and shrugged. “Are you going to tell me anything today I don't already know?”

“Yeah.” Han waited until he had her full attention, although her gaze was slightly off centre. “You need to know you're not just marrying Luke tomorrow, you're getting all of us - it's a package deal.”

“I kn-”

“No, you don’t,” Han cut her off. “You need to understand we’re your family now, through all nine hells and beyond. We’ll fight with you, and for you, through every hard day ahead.” Han squeezed her arm lightly. “Hey, I grew up alone too, I know it's hard to accept when people say things like that, because you either think they're pretty, well intended words and nothing else, or otherwise they're lies to establish trust so you can be exploited, but this is real.”

Valara’s throat worked as she swallowed heavily, and she blinked a few times. “Thank you,” she said quietly, turning back to her drink and idly tracing the rim of the glass with one finger. “I don’t know much about being part of a family, and nothing about being a wife.”

“You’ll learn,” Han assured her. “If you put half the determination into letting us in as you did pushing everyone away all those years you should be right.”

He was rewarded with a smile, and she lifted her glass. “Well here’s to the hard days ahead - may they be worth it.”

"Oh, and one more thing." Han clicked his glass lightly against hers and winked. “Don’t hurt him, or else.”

The wedding was a quiet affair, with only Han, Leia, Ben and Chewbacca in attendance. Valara stood facing Luke in a gazebo in the centre of the gardens, white snowblossoms wound through her hair. Their vows were simple and plain, a pledge to love, trust and keep faith.

To seal the union Luke removed a small knife from his belt, making a small gash in his left palm before handing it to Valara to do the same to her right. She made the cut without flinching, and then slid the blade into the sheath sewn into the belt of her dress. It was an old custom from Tatooine, or so Luke had explained to her, to truly join the lovers in blood, the knife passing from husband and wife in a pledge of protection and respect.

Luke held out his hands, a streak of red blood against one calloused palm, and she pressed her own against his, their fingers intertwining as they clasped them together. Through the Force Valara could feel him, Luke’s blood mixing with hers as his clear blue eyes stared into her own, forever and irrevocably bonding them. She had expected to feel apprehensive at such a moment, but instead she felt a wave of contentment - she was no longer afraid.

Their hands remained joined as they came together in a kiss, sealing their union as Leia and Han applauded and Chewie gave a roar. Valara laughed as she finally pulled away, their palms sticking together for a moment before they were able to separate. Leia came forward with a damp cloth to wipe away the blood and apply a bacta patch to their palms, before embracing both of them tightly.

“I always wanted a sister,” Leia whispered as she held her.

“I had three,” Valara said. “They tried to kill me.”

Leia laughed lightly and pulled away, squeezing her forearms. “That’s not how we do things in this family.”

Valara bite back a retort - given the surroundings Leia was probably referring to her Organa heritage rather than Skywalker blood. “I’ll do my best to fit in,” she countered instead.

Chewbacca approached her and Valara turned to smile at him. It had taken her years to overcome the anti-alien bias taught to her since birth, and she was still conscious of it every time she was around the Wookiee, anxious not to say or do anything which would offend him. He reached out a hairy paw and patted her lightly on the head.

“Thank you, Chewbacca.”

Chewbacca let out a few growls, cocking his head to the side as Valara looked to Luke for translation.

“He says if you really want to be part of this family,” Han cut in. “You better start learning Shyriiwook.”

“No he didn’t,” Luke laughed. “He said to call him Chewie.”

“Chewie.” The name was unfamiliar on her tongue, informal and strange. But it seemed to work, the Wookiee pulling her into a fierce embrace that almost took the air from her lungs. She relaxed into it, touched by his acceptance.

Han was next, drawing her into a hug. “Don’t forget what I said,” he muttered.

“The threat, or the welcome?”

Han chucked lightly as he pulled away. “Both.”

Valara looked down but found the youngest Solo absent. Leia touched her arm lightly and nodded towards a cluster of rocks near the rose garden, where young Ben had taken a seat. She understood his reticence - the boy loved his uncle fiercely and didn’t seem him very often as it was. There was no doubt he saw her as an interloper in their family.

He was scuffing his boots against the rocks and pulling at the high collar of his formal tunic as Valara approached, but gave a weak smile as she took a seat beside him. She smoothed out the folds in her skirt, occupying herself for a few moments before speaking.

“I know we haven't always been friends, Ben,” she began cautiously. “But we’re going to be family now.”

“I know,” Ben nodded. “Mom says I have to like you or else.”

“Or else what?”

“I dunno,” Ben shrugged. “But I don't want to find out.”

“Well that we can agree on,” Valara said, buoyed when Ben returned her smile. “You can call me Aunt V if you like.”

“I guess that would be okay.” A concession that felt like a victory. Ben seemed genuine enough, although she had always had difficulty reading him, his mind firmly barricaded. Valara grasped for some common ground other than Luke.

“Your father says you’ve been helping him with Falcon,” she said, and Ben nodded.

“He’s been teaching me how to fix stuff.” Ben giggled to himself. “It’s always breaking down.”

“I have a ship of my own,” Valara told him. “An X-Wing. It doesn’t fly, in fact I’m not sure if it will ever fly again. But I’m trying to fix it - maybe you could help me when you come visit.”

“Really?” Ben perked up. “You’d let me?”

“Of course.” Valara took a chance and touched him on the shoulder, gratified when he did not pull away. “Trust me, you can’t make things worse.”

“Alright then.” Ben smiled again, this time showing his teeth as Valara felt a slight pressure in the back of her mind ease. “Aunt V.”

Luke and Valara spent the evening walking through the extensive gardens, even long after the others had left for the night. The crisp night air was cool on Valara’s bare shoulders but she refused to take Luke’s jacket. She did, however, slip her hand into the crook of his arm as they walked together, since she had difficulty seeing properly in the dark. The moon was a silver orb above, that much she could make out, and several spots in the garden were lit up with ornate lamps although sadly she could not see much detail in the intricate plants and flowers which lined the pathways.

Still, it was peaceful, the only sound the occasional call of nightbirds in distant trees; a low-toned, musical sound. Valara had never really felt a great love for nature, growing up among the duracrete and steel of Coruscant. It was on Jakku she had begun to truly appreciate the living world simply because her surroundings had been so desolate. Finding a desert bloom had been a rare but thrilling occurrence, and in her time on Devaron she had spent much time with Farnay who had taught her much about the connection in the Force between nature and those who lived among it.

“I have a gift for you,” Valara told her new husband as they approached the heritage trees. She’d been counting steps in the back of her mind since the hedge maze and was certain she recognised the outline of the plants which lined the path ahead.

“Leia told me about this garden,” she added, and felt Luke’s eyes on her as they walked. “A contradiction, really. Young plants still, but grown from cuttings taken from the oldest trees in the galaxy.”

“Kind of like the Jedi.”

“Exactly,” Valara said, stopping in front of a small tree with spindly branches and yellow-green leaves.

“Is that...?” Luke crouched down and touched the plant reverently. He didn’t need to finish his question, no doubt sensing the presence of the tree which shone like a beacon in the Force.

“I took a cutting from yours on Devaron,” she confirmed, pleased that he seemed to understand her meaning. “So what you’re building there - a part of it will grow here, as well.”

“What we’re building,” Luke said, and through the Force she felt a wave of his love. He traced one branch lightly, almost reverently. “There’s one on Yavin as well.”

“One where we first met, one where we got married.” Valara smiled, reaching out to run her fingers through his hair. “And one where we live.”

“What’s this?” he asked, picking up a small wrapped package beside the tree.

“Ah, that’s something to remind you of that reckless farmboy you once were.”

Luke stood, unwrapping the package to reveal a yellow jacket with ribbing on the sleeves. It was standard Alliance-issue around the time of the Battle of Yavin, although Luke had kept wearing one long after the style had moved on.

“How did you track one of these down?” he asked with a grin, running the material between his fingers.

“I’m resourceful,” Valara told him, leaning in to accept his kiss in thanks.

“I don't have anything for you.” He was serious when he pulled away, folding the jacket and replacing it back in the wrapping on the ground.

“You've given me something I've never had before,” she told him softly, moving closer to take his hands in hers. “A family - and a proper name.”

She felt a deep warmth in her heart as she smiled again - tinged only with her own sadness that soon she would never see that smile again, she would only feel it.

“You see,” he teased her. “You can be sweet if you try.”

“Well don’t expect anything more than that.” She nudged him playfully. “I think I just reached my lifetime sentimentality quota.”

Luke chuckled, leaning in to kiss her again. “Well I haven’t,” he said, staring deeply into her eyes. “I love you, V.”

“You know that’s the first time you’ve ever said that to me,” she pointed out, squeezing his hands lightly.

“No, it’s not,” Luke protested, and then looked up in the air, his mind clearly working on the problem.

“I mean, I always knew,” she said. “But it’s nice to hear all the same.”

Luke cupped her face in his hands, his thumbs gently caressing her cheeks. “I’ll tell you every day for the rest of our lives.”

“I hope so.”

“Valara Skywalker.” The name sounded right in the timbre of his voice, and she focused on the way his lips formed around the words, etching it into her memory. “It suits you.”

8. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Ahhhhhhhhh, what bliss to read. I love the easy way you write and the fantastic characterizations of the whole Skywalker clan. It's hard waiting for you to post the next segment, but you make up for it in absolute quality.

Super job!!=D=

9. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    So many lovely things to note in this chapter, which you know I adore by default. ;)

1. Evaan! Nice to see her again. You handled discussion of Luke and Leia's conflict over Ben very well - I have no intention of reading Bloodlines and consider that Leia hid Vader from her own child to be something akin to character assassination but the way you wrote it makes the atrocity make sense and painful at the same time.

2. Of course Valara's in a bar, and of course Han finds her there. [face_laugh] But their conversation was funny and sweet - maybe the nicest "hurt him or else" speech ever given, with Han treading carefully and V showing a bit of vulnerability.

3. Can I just say that I like how you didn't go into too much detail about the wedding? It just felt right to have it be private - much like Luke and Valara themselves (to everyone outside their personal bubble). The Tatooine bonding ritual was delightfully non-Western (your own invention?) as it should be.

4. I can't help it - I can't like Ben. Not even in a "look at the cute baby psychopath" kind of way. That's absolutely not a reflection on your writing - I appreciated Valara trying to reach him on her own terms.

5. HE DID IT. LUKE FINALLY SAID "I LOVE YOU." I can't believe he hadn't said it sooner. Her gift of the tree, his gift of a name and family - are you trying to kill me from tears?
    Wonderful wonderful. [:D]

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    You make it look and feel so easy. =D= The gorgeous setting, the characterizations, the dialogue all flowing together into a perfect tapestry!!!!

I agree with Taramidala - Ben doesn't give me the aww, sweet cutesy youngling feels either. :eek:

Loved Han with valara - the acceptance and candor.

Luke with V, of course you know I melted. [face_love] Yes, he does need someone like her in his life and vice versa. :)

I too wanna freeze these moments in my mental vision and never let go. @};- [:D]

11. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Great chapter. :D

But this was RUDE.

12. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

Thank you! I'm trying to give this fic my main focus so I can move onto other things, so hopefully future updates will be closer together.

Yeah, I didn't like it either, so I felt I needed to think out any possible logic to it.
    Of course! There's always been this kind of low-level alcoholism in the background that I don't want to dwell on too much, but I think its one of those things where she's still highly functional and compared to all her other issues it's pretty minor ;)

Writer laziness combined with character simplicity :p I do know that some cultures have had a blood bonding of some kind, but both palms, the specific clasping of the hands and transfer of dagger were things I made up.
    It's knowing what he becomes, I think - everything little Ben does is laced with dramatic irony because even innocent childish behaviours are tinged with his future deeds.
    :D[:D]

Thank you!

Yeah, I don't think Ben was ever a kid like Anakin all YIPPEEE - it's a hard line to walk, and very difficult to write.

The sweetness of this chapter was a long time coming, and very much needed given what's to come...

[face_laugh] Thanks!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

14 ABY, Senate Building, Coruscant

It had taken a while, but Ben had finally found a room within the Senate chambers that was both unlocked and unoccupied, and he closed himself inside. Even though he was tall for a nine year old, the conference table and chairs were slightly too large, but he managed to climb onto a seat and clasp his hands together on the smooth surface.

There had been another incident at school. Ben didn’t know what all the fuss was about, he couldn’t help it if he could read his classmate's minds. Everyone had overreacted anyway, Ben had just wanted to say how sorry he was that the boy’s pet tooka had died, and the kid had just lost it. Apparently he had wanted to keep it a secret from people at school, which Ben didn’t understand at all - why wouldn’t anyone want sympathy when something bad had happened?

His father had given him another lecture about respecting other people’s privacy.

“I know you have these skills, Ben,” Han had said, tense posture indicating his agitation. “And that’s great, but you can’t overdo it. Look at your mother, she has the Force and she doesn’t spend her time rattling around in here.” He tapped his temple.

“Why bother when I can read everything in your face?” Leia rubbed his arm and smiled - at least she wasn’t angry.

“Uncle Luke and Aunt V do it all the time,” Ben argued. “They’re always reading each other’s minds. It’s gross.”

“Don’t listen to them especially,” Han said, his voice still stern but unable to completely clamp down on a smile. “I doubt it’s suitable for young ears. And besides, they’re married, it’s different.”

Ben pouted, not about to give up. “Uncle Luke reads other people’s minds, too. He’s always telling people what they’re feeling.”

“But he would never do it without permission,” Leia crouched down in front of Ben and took his hands. “People go to the Temple for his help and advice.”

Ben scowled, a familiar pressure building in his head as a voice whispered that his parents were being unreasonable. His mother had turned her back on her Force training, and his father didn’t have it at all.

They had argued for a few more minutes until Ben had grown frustrated and accidentally sent a vase smashing into the wall with the Force. He had seen the fear in his father’s eyes - that reaction he always tried to hide but never could. His mother hid hers better, squeezing his hands lightly and telling him it was alright, and he would learn control in time. Still, she’d taken with him with her to the Senate to following day and not school, where he’d had to sit through hours of meetings and negotiations until he’d managed to sneak away and explore.

He didn’t mind being alone most of the time - it gave him the chance to think, and listen. Ben closed his eyes, searching out through the Force but for once the voice didn’t answer.

“Hello young man.” A crisp, formal accent broke through his search, and Ben’s eyes snapped open to see a tall, red and grey-haired man standing in the doorway.

“Who are you?”

“My name is Brendol Hux.” He entered the room, walking with his back straight and his arms clasped behind his back. “And you, I believe, are Ben Solo.”

“Yeah.” Ben narrowed his eyes, dipping into the man’s mind. He was not Force sensitive, but Ben sensed something bitter and vile, like a festering wound. “How did you know that?”

“I know a great deal about you, Ben,” Hux said, his smile chilling. “Or rather I’ve been told a great deal.”

Ben shrugged, unimpressed. “Mom’s always on the holonet, people know stuff because of that.”

“I have a son about your age.” Hux took a few steps closer. “He’s very clever too, although he has more respect for his elders.”

“I got respect for people,” Ben bristled. “Some people.”

“Those who deserve it, I imagine?” Hux smiled again. “The strong command the respect of the weak, I agree with you.”

Ben was confused - he hadn’t meant that at all. His mother had always said it was the responsibility of the strong to protect the weak, and that no matter what he did he should use his abilities to help those less fortunate than him.

“Your Uncle is strong.” Hux took another step forward, until he was looming over Ben. “But he makes weak choices, hiding away in his Temple when he could be bending others to his will. There is much I admire about the Jedi of old, and while he has twice their skill he has none of their discipline.”

It was the first time Ben had heard someone speak badly of his Uncle, and he looked up at Hux, unsure of how to respond. Luke had always said the old Jedi had trained from a very young age, that they were not permitted to have families because they were considered to be distractions. Ben loved his parents but he longed to start his training, not to control his powers, but to enhance them to do the good his mother had spoken of.

“Uncle Luke is the greatest Jedi who ever lived.” Ben crossed his arms over his chest and stared definantly up at Hux.

“And yet he married a woman who is weak and damaged,” Hux said, a glint in his eye. “And my sources tell me she is barren, unable to him give an heir.” He chuckled to himself. “Perhaps that is why he hides her away, keeping his life a secret as if he is ashamed of it. But we have uncovered that which he would conceal from the galaxy.”

Ben didn’t know what “barren” meant, or what it had to do with Uncle luke’s hair but was to Hux it seemed like something important. Sometimes the other kids asked him is he really was the nephew of the great Luke Skywalker, and Ben had been proud to boast. But his mother had always reminded him that Luke wanted to keep his privacy, and not to show too much pride - that his uncle was a man like anyone else.

“So it seems,” Hux addressed him again. “That you, young Ben, are responsible for carrying on his legacy. The question is, what will you do with it?”

Ben often thought about his destiny, ever since he was small he was certain he would be a Jedi. He thought his mother’s job was boring and despite his efforts he wasn’t very good at flying like his father, but the Force came to him so naturally, just like the rest of his family. His grandfather, the Hero with No Fear who had fought and died in the Clone Wars, his Uncle, who had defeated the Emperor and Darth Vader single-handedly. And now Ben, who had yet to prove himself.

“Tell me,” Hux said. “Have you told your parents about that voice in your head?”

Ben’s mouth dropped open and his stomach leapt. He hadn’t told anyone at all about the voice - he wasn’t even sure if it was real, or whether he was just talking to himself.

“Don’t be afraid,” Hux said. “You can trust me to keep your secret. Do you know who it is you talk to?”

“I...think so.” Ben fidgeted in his chair. Uncle Luke had told him that in the past he’d seen Jedi appear as ghosts, including the one Ben was named for. But if the voice was real, he had to believe that it was family guiding him - the grandfather whose bravery and legend he desperately wanted to live up to.

Hux looked like he was about to speak further, but Ben was distracted by the familiar presence of his mother in the hallway outside. It was only a moment before she strode into the room, taking in Ben and Hux in one instant, her worried expression hardening and turning into a sneer.

“Hux,” she said cooly, immediately crossing to room to Ben’s side and placing her hands on his shoulders. “What a surprise to see you - I’d heard you were dead.”

“No more than the Empire,” Hux said, his pointed chin lifting.

“So just defeated and diminished then.” Leia smirked, and Ben surprised to hear her voice so sharp. “So why are you here?”

“As agreed in the Galactic Concordance, the Empire is entitled to send an emissary.” Hux’s features twisted, as if the words were difficult to say. “When I heard the Senate had returned to Coruscant I volunteered, to see what your rabble had done to her. Imagine my surprise to find not much has changed.”

“Everything has changed,” Leia said through gritted teeth. “The Senate is here for now, but in a few years it will move again, according to the will of the people.”

“Always in the Core though it seems.”

“Where the Empire has no business.” Leia took Ben’s hand and led him swiftly from the room. When they were safely back in her office, she turned to him looking worried.

“Are you alright, Ben?” she asked, brushing the hair back from his face. It never worked, and a fringe of hair flopped back over his forehead. “What did he say to you?”

Ben shifted on the spot and looked down. If he told his mother what Hux had said, would she confront him? Then he might let slip about the voice, and that was Ben’s secret, something for him alone.

“He said some bad things about you and Uncle Luke,” he said, closing down his mind and looking back up at his mother. “I didn’t believe him.”

“Of course you didn’t.” Leia smiled and stroked the side of his face, but underneath Ben could still sense her suspicion. “Hux is a cruel man.”

Ben nodded, but he was resolved to think further about his words later that night. He’d never met anyone from the Empire before, and although everyone knew they were evil, some of the things Hux had said made a kind of sense.

He would ask the voice, and find out the truth.

Jedi Temple, Devaron

There were few coveted chores at the Temple, but Laisha didn’t mind kitchen cleanup duty - it was certainly preferable to scrubbing the ‘freshers and there was a certain routine to washing dishes which was conducive to thinking. Unfortunately, her companion that day hadn’t stopped complaining.

Nada Yilu had only arrived at the Temple that week, a young arrogant man from Coruscant. He’d passed the initial Force tests well enough, although Laisha doubted he had the temperament to be a Jedi. She’d told Luke so - her status as his apprentice meant he often listened to her opinions and advice. But this time he’d chastised her, saying that they should give the young man a chance to break free from his privileged upbringing and grow in the Force. Then he’d assigned her to shadow him, and while Laisha understood his point her opinion hadn’t changed. The kid made her montrals ache.

“This is droid’s work,” Nada grumbled, directing the washing hose into the sink full of pans. But he’d turned the pressure up too high and the spray rebounded back to him, soaking his tunic. “Gah!” He jumped back, grabbing a towel and patting himself down.

Laisha couldn’t help but laugh. The Ithorian chef Abelia shook her head and went back to chopping vegetables, her bulbous eyes blinking in amusement.

“The only droid around here is Artoo,” Laisha told him. “And I wouldn’t ask him to wash dishes if I were you.”

Nada threw down the towel on the bench. “My parents own a chain of hotels, I bet I could get them to donate a bunch of old cleaning droids.”

Laisha sighed. “This is a community, Nada,” she told him, taking off her washing gloves and turning to face him fully. “We rely on ourselves and each other, you need to learn that.”

“This place isn’t what I thought it would be.” Nada said, tugging at his still-wet tunic. “I didn’t expect the chores - and I haven’t even touched a lightsaber yet.”

“The first lesson we have to learn is patience,” Laisha said, as much to herself as Nada. Perhaps that was why Luke had assigned her to look after him - even after years of training she still struggled with that aspect. “But once we’re finished here I’ll take you to combat class.”

“With Master Skywalker?”

“No, he teaches the advanced class,” Laisha shook her head, not bothering to remind him to use Luke’s first name. “Have you met Valara yet?”

Nada fiddled with the pressure gauges on the water hose and tried the stream again, this time successfully keeping it in the sink. “No, but I’ve seen her around. You know, I couldn’t believe it when they said she was Master Skywalker’s wife.”

Laisha smiled to herself. “They like their privacy.”

“No, I mean, because she was an Imperial.” Nada shook the excess water off a dish and placed it on the drying rack. “I remember hearing stories about the Inquisitors when I was small. My mother was worried they’d come find me and take me away.”

Hardly an unfamiliar story among those who came to the Temple, and Laisha herself had been wary of Valara when they’d first met. She had softened over the years - not by much, but enough to be approachable in the right circumstances. Laisha warned herself to keep Nada away from her until he’d learned a bit of humility.

“She defected when she was still a teenager,” Laisha told him, protective of her friend. “You know she led the team that stole the Death Star plans?”

Nada looked slightly more impressed. “But she’s blind, how can she teach combat?”

Laisha smiled; perhaps humility needed to be learned sooner rather than later. “Finish up your work and let’s go see.”

Class had already started and Laisha indicated for Nada to be quiet as they sat on the bleachers. Valara was in the centre of the room, sparring against one of the other students with her metal quarterstaff. Laisha had seen her fight enough times to know when she was going easy, deliberately telegraphing her moves and going at a slow pace so not to completely demolish her opponent. Anyone not aware that Valara was blind would be unlikely to guess watching her fight.

“She’s alright,” Nada whispered with soft chuckle. “Guess she can’t be trusted with a lightsaber, huh?”

Laisha glared at him and touched one finger to her lips to remind him again to keep silent. The spar was soon over and Valara stepped back and leaned against her staff in a familiar pose.

“Good,” she said to her opponent. “But you’re still too reactive - there’s a difference between defence and hesitancy.” She took the practice staff from the student and gestured for him to retake his seat. “Remember that combat isn’t about showing off your skills. Use of a weapon should a last resort, but if you’re forced to do so make sure you neutralise your opponent as quickly as you can. Waiting too long for them to make a mistake could be yours.”

Valara seemed to scan the room, a technique that never failed to unnerve people although Laisha knew it was half feint and when the woman’s gaze settled on her, it was because she sensed her through the Force.

“Laisha,” Valara greeted her, and then her cloudy eyes shifted to Nada. “It seems you’ve brought a sceptic with you today.”

Laisha shrugged and gave her a smile. “He’s fresh off the transport, V, don’t be too hard on him.”

“What your name freshie?” Valara stared directly at him, and Laisha saw him squirm a little.

“Nada Yilu.”

“Thank you for volunteering Nada.” Valara gestured from him to join her, and he did with obvious false bravado, taking the practice staff she offered to him and examining it.

“I may be blind, but my hearing is impeccable.” Valara stared at him, and Laisha could see Nada was unable to hold her sightless gaze. “You don’t put a pilot into a snubfighter until they’ve mastered the simulator, and you don’t hand a lightsaber to someone until you know they’re not going to cut their own hand off.” Her voice was stern, and the room was completely silent. “That’s the first reason I teach basic combat skills - hand to hand, stick and staff. If and when you’re ready, and only if I say so, you can move on to lightsaber training with Luke.”

Nada seemed defiant rather than cowed. “What’s the other reason?”

Valara’s smile looked like a baring of teeth rather than an expression of amusement. “I am not a Jedi, and I don’t use a lightsaber. Because while it is a symbol of peacekeepers, it is also a deadly weapon. Not to the extent a blaster is of course, but never forget it's a laser that can slice through skin and bone as if it was butter.”

“You can do a lot of damage with this too,” Nada pointed out, spinning the practice rod around in his hands.

“Yes you can,” Valara agreed. “But I've yet to kill anyone with my staff.”

That seemed to shut Nada up, and Laisha felt a ripple of amusement even if she knew Luke probably wouldn’t have been happy with such a veiled threat.

“Valara?” One of the other students raised her hand and called out. “Why aren’t you a Jedi?”

“Because I know myself,” Valara told her, voice softened. “Not all of you in this room will become Jedi - and there is nothing wrong with that. You are here to learn to use the Force, to discover how it best manifests in you; to control and direct your abilities into something that enriches not only your life but those of others.”

“And for you that’s fighting?” Nada spoke up again, having regained some of his confidence.

“Flying was what I was best at,” Valara told him, her voice even. “But I can’t do that any more, and combat was always a close second - although certainly not in a way the Jedi would approve of.” She smirked, and a small tittering went through the class - her past was an open secret, and she was often willing to use it as a teaching lesson if warranted, and with those she felt needed it.

“I avoided it for years, until I realised that running from my mistakes meant I would never overcome them.” Valara’s gaze turned again to Laisha, and she felt a small touch at the back of her mind, a memory of the first time they’d fought. “This,” Valara held out her staff, “is a happy medium between what I was and what I might have been if not for those mistakes.”

Only Nada seemed unimpressed. “I studied all kinds of combat at the Coruscant Academy,” he said, chin tilting in pride. “I know what my skills are, and I’m beyond basic training.”

Valara visibly bristled. “Then show me.”

The spar took less than two minutes. All of Valara’s restraint with the previous student was gone as she swung her quarterstaff with precision and accuracy. Right from the beginning, Nada had difficulty keeping up, and she almost hit him several times before pulling back and starting the next attack. She was relentless, finally knocking him backwards so he fell onto the rubber mat with a thump. Breathing heavily, Nada looked up at Valara and although she of course could not see his red face, she no doubt she felt his shame. Laisha felt quite sorry for him.

“So many of you have always used the Force perhaps without knowing it - your abilities have been boosted naturally all your life.” Valara stepped forward, reaching out her hand to pull Nada to his feet. “But harnessing the Force is something quite different, and must be learned. I can see you have the skills and the discipline, Nada, but never think they cannot be improved.”

Nada took a seat back in the bleachers and the class continued with Valara demonstrating several techniques with her staff, explaining how she tapped into the Force to sense her surroundings and use all of her remaining senses in combat. They split into pairs and and practiced closing their eyes to try and feel a coming attack, and she told them not to be discouraged by failure - it had taken her years to truly master it. It was easier for Laisha than others; like all other Togrutas the montrals protruding from her skull helped her feel the movement of those around her. They were fully grown now, enhancing her senses like never before.

After the class ended Nada left quickly but Laisha hung back, helping Valara pack up the equipment. “You certainly taught him a lesson,” Laisha said with a slight reproach.

“I promised Luke I would help him teach,” Valara shrugged. “Not that I'd be nice. That boy needed to be knocked on his arse.”

“Perhaps,” Laisha picked up a stray practice staff from the floor. “But in front of his peers?”

Valara sighed. “You’re probably right - I guess I’m still learning too. Speaking of which,” she added with a smile. “You’ll finish your training eventually, have you given any thought to what you’ll do then?”

Laisha shrugged, and then realised that of course Valara would not have seen it. “I don’t know,” she said, taking a seat on the bleachers. “If Luke asks me to stay and help train others of course I will, but…” Laisha touched one lek absently, her thoughts staying her her childhood. She’d been so lonely and although that had changed when she’d come to the Temple, at times Luke almost seeming like a father to her, it wasn’t the same.

“I thought I might go to the Outer Rim - there’s so many of my people still in slavery.”

Valara sat down touched her arm gently. “Find your sisters, perhaps?”

“I know it’s a longshot,” Laisha said. “They might not even be still alive, and even if they’re not, there’s others I can help.”

“I know Luke would say you have to go where you feel you have been called,” Valara assured her, and although when Laisha looked into her clouded-over eyes she knew there was no true gaze back, she still felt comforted by holding it. “He doesn’t want to have dominion over his Jedi like the old Order.”

Whatever she decided, Laisha knew she would have Luke’s support, although it was nice to have her friend’s as well. “Did you ever want to look for your family?”

Valara turned away, her shoulders stiffening slightly. “I want to look to the future to the past. Luke is my family, although…” She stopped abruptly, clearing her throat in obvious discomfort and standing. “We should finish cleaning up.”

Laisha opened her mouth, wanting to say something, to give Valara the comfort in return she’d so often received from her. But words failed her, and they continued the cleanup in silence.

It was almost midnight and Valara found sleep unwilling to find her. She shifted in the cool sheets, telling herself it was just the troubles of the day keeping her awake but deep down she knew the truth. Luke wasn’t there beside her.

After dinner he’d headed towards the Temple roof to meditate and hadn’t returned despite the late hour. Valara thought back to the girl she’d been during the Rebellion - how that fool would have sneered at her life and the notion that she had difficulty sleeping alone. But during that time she’d also been desperately unhappy, self-loathing and with half a death wish. All things considered, Valara thought that a sacrifice of complete independence rather meaningless considering all she had gained in return.

There had been difficult times, of course, living and working in such close quarters, and over the years they had argued but they’d always found a common ground. Rather than familiarity breeding contempt, Valara had flourished under it, not a day going by where she wasn’t thankful for Luke’s love.

Her discussion with Laisha about family kept running over through her mind. While the two of them together was enough to make her happy, Valara couldn’t deny her longing for something more. They’d discussed children before they’d gotten married, and Luke had been surprised when Valara had told him she was open to the idea, particularly when she’d been adamantly against it in the past. She’d reminded him that she hadn’t wanted a husband either, and while the idea of being a mother still frightened her she was willing to see what happened.

That was three years earlier, and wait and see had left them still waiting.

Valara exhaled harshly, throwing aside the sheet and pulling on the robe at the end of the bed. She drew the silk around her and pulled the sash, padding barefoot down the hallways and up the stairs to the Temple’s meditation room, feeling her way by one hand drifting smoothly along the stone walls.

The Force tree shone through her blindness, its strong trunk and reaching branches of light so pure she didn’t even need to concentrate to sense it. She could feel Luke’s presence at the base, entwined with rather than engulfed by its energy. Valara approached slowly, taking her time to feel her way up the steps to where Luke was seated, his form in the Force becoming discernable to her as she drew closer. He sat cross-legged and leaning against the trunk, his mind deep in meditation.

“Can’t sleep?” he asked as she felt him return.

“No,” she answered, drawing closer until her shin brushed against his knee. “You either?”

Luke’s hand found hers, drawing her down onto his lap. Valara traced the features of Luke’s face, the planes and contours of his skin familiar even though she could not see them. But she remembered, and could feel him through the Force.

“I feel uneasy,” Luke said. “And I’m not sure why.”

“Is all well with the Devaronians?”

“Better than ever, I think,” Luke said, and Valara’s fingers brushed against his mouth to feel his smile. “Their lands have finally recovered from the Imperial damage.”

“Have you talked to Leia recently?” Valara pressed, determined to find the reason for his disquiet. “It’s been awhile since they visited.”

“That’s true,” Luke said wistfully. “I’ll comm her tomorrow.”

Valara ran her fingers lightly through his hair. “What would you do without me?”

Luke laughed, squeezing her legs playfully. “Feel desperately alone. You?”

“I’d probably be dead.”

Pulling her closer, Luke kissed her gently. “Have I remembered to tell you today that I love you?”

“You have now.” Valara kissed him again, her fingers toying with the high collar on his tunic.

“1451 days and counting,” Luke teased, nuzzling his nose against hers.

“Come to bed,” Valara whispered to him, tugging on his tunic slightly and giving him a nudge through the Force. “The galaxy’s troubles will still be there tomorrow.”

"No." Luke's gently held her in place, and she felt a warm blossom of his intent. "Stay."

"Here?" she asked, biting her lip as a tremor of anticipation went through her.

"I can feel you so much better here," Luke answered, and through the Force she felt her mind touch hers. "And you can see me."

She could - not in the way anyone else would describe seeing, but the power of the Force tree seemed to entwine and ensconce them. Valara blinked, trying to focus her Force-sight as something beyond illumination and movement into something more tangible. She felt him as she traced his face again, and saw her own hand as tendrils of light blending with his own luminescence, as if they were merging into one.

"Stay," he said again, and Valara let herself be drawn in.

"Of course," she said softly, and leaned down to brush her lips against his. "I promised didn't I?"

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ominous first scene :eek:

Loved seeing Valara instructing - very much a nice contrast to the earlier chapter where she was instructing new pilots but her strong forcefulness remains. :) Enjoy also the confiding with Laisha.

Delightful and comfy scene with Luke. @};- [face_love] Valara has grown wonderfully. She is still "herself" but is giving and loving in a courageous wholehearted way. [face_dancing]

Each of them deserve happiness and a life's worth of sharing through joys and sorrows. Thanks for giving them that, at least as long as circumstances allow. [face_thinking]

15. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    This fic has migrated into something much larger than originally intended, and now we're getting to the point where things start to go wrong it was important to me to actually try and explore that a little bit, especially with all the scraps of information we know about Ben's fall.

V has successfully made and kept a friend! [face_party]But she's still at core the same prickly person who isn't going to go easy on her students ;)

Thank you! I felt that Valara would still struggle, but for the most part she's settled into a good place within herself and in her relationship with Luke.

16. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Great update!

With that first section, I can see where Ben might go wrong. You've begun the creation of that character very well!

As for Valara, I'm glad she put that little turd Nada in his place. Maybe there's a little more dark in me than I thought. ;)

As always, very well written, with stable and consistent characters. =D==D=

17. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Thanks you! It's difficult to see how Ben turned into Kylo, especially knowing he would have had a loving childhood, and I'm doing my best to explore it.

Thanks! I think we all get a feeling of satisfaction when arrogance is taken down a peg ;)

A/N: There's speculation in this chapter based on a few minor spoilers I've read from Aftermath: Life Debt, so if you want to stay completely 100% unspoiled for that, maybe wait to read this chapter.

Tags: mattman8907, EGKenobi, Jedi_Perigrine

14 ABY, Organa-Solo apartment, Coruscant

Han Solo lounged back on the bed, propped up against the headboard as he watched his wife pace the room. Leia had a comm unit attached to her ear and she’d been making a succession of calls all night to her various contacts. Her shoulders were held high with extreme tension, her arms crossed tight over her chest and the skirt of her white gown whipping about her legs due to the force with which she walked.

“I’ve been chasing this through an asteroid field for weeks,” Leia said shortly. “I just need confirmation, I don’t care if it’s official or not. This is not for political purposes, it’s personal.” She pursed her lips as she listened to the response on the other end. “Personal means I don’t want to tell you exactly why.”

Han got up off the bed, walking over to Leia and rubbing her back in comfort, gratified when she stopped pacing and relaxed slightly. Often he felt completely inadequate when it came to these sorts of things - if Leia needed information the unofficial way he was usually able to provide it either through his own knowledge or through contacts he’d made over the years. Han had spent years accumulating favours which had paid off more than once, and even his racing career had yielded friends in high and low places - people trackside liked to show off.

“Alright.” Leia sighed. “No, that’s all I need to know. Thank you.” She unclipped the ear comm and turned to Han with worry. “Brendol Hux has no official position in the Empire - as far as they are concerned he disappeared after the the Accords..”

“Could they be lying?” Han asked. “Trying to save face?”

“No,” Leia shook her head. “I trust this source. Besides, if they were hiding him he wouldn’t have turned up at the Senate out of the blue. Hux didn’t just come across Ben, he was looking for him.”

“But why?”

“Hux ran the secret academies during the Empire,” Leia reminded him, “training grounds for the Inquisitorius and other sinister orders. I don’t know what he’s planning or who he’s working for, but I know in my bones Ben is in danger.”

If there was one thing Han didn’t doubt, it was Leia’s intuition. If she had that proverbial bad feeling, he wasn’t about to argue with her.

“So what do we do?” he asked. The last thing he wanted was to have a security detail following Ben around - the kid had enough trouble fitting in as it was.

Leia sighed deeply, and then lifted her gaze. “We can send him to Luke.”

No, Han corrected himself, that was the last thing he wanted. “Don’t you think that’s a bit...drastic?”

“Yes, it is,” Leia said calmly, which Han took as a very bad sign. “But we need to act first, and decisively.

“You sound like a general,” he teased her, rubbing his hands up and down her arms. “But the war is over, Leia.”

“Is it?” Leia turned away, and Han let his arms drop uselessly to his sides. “A part of me fears that it won’t ever end, not really.”

Knowing only a fraction of the nonsense she had to deal with in the Senate, Han wasn’t about to argue that point. Sometimes it gave him sleepless nights, the worry for Ben - he was already showing such power in the Force, even Han could see it. He couldn’t deny that in his darkest moments the spectre of Darth Vader loomed, and could never quite be dismissed.

“Besides, he wants to go,” Leia added, turning back around to face him. “He wants to learn.”

“He wants frizzberry icecream three times a day as well,” Han pointed out. “He’s not old enough to know what’s best for him.”

“He needs training.” Leia wrung her hands together, uncharacteristically unsettled.

“You have the Force too Leia,” he reminded her, taking her hands and rubbing them gently between his own. “Just as much as Luke does. You could teach him control, just until he’s older.”

Leia looked up at him, determination in her deep brown eyes. “But I can’t protect him - on Devaron he will be safe.”

“I don’t doubt it,” Han said. “But he’s our son, Leia.”

Her eyes flashed, and she ripped her hands from his grip. “Do you think this isn’t killing me?” she demanded. “I’m his mother, and a part of me is screaming that he’s only safe by my side. But there are darker forces at work here, Han, I can feel it, and as much as I hate this whole situation, I have to admit that he needs guidance that I just can’t give him.” Her fists clenched tightly, and Han could see the pain etched across her face. “He’ll always be under scrutiny here, always watched, always in danger.”

She was afraid, Han realised, a sick feeling forming in the pit of his belly. He had never seen Leia afraid, not in all the times they'd stared down what seemed like certain death. Han opened his arms and let Leia come to him, press her cheek against his chest and encircle her arms tightly around his waist. He kissed the top of her head and held her - he may not have the answers for her, may not be able to assuage her fears, but he could do this.

“We’ll visit every week,” Han conceded, rocking her slightly. “We’ll be at that damned Temple so often Ben will be sick of the sight of us.”

“I just want what’s best for him,” Leia whispered, it seemed almost to herself. “In just want him to be safe.”

Han stroked her hair and held her close. “I know.”

First Order Base, Unknown Regions

Brendol Hux stood on the parapet of the trench, watching the machinery below drill deeply down through the crust of the planet and towards the Core. It would take years to expand the Base beyond the barracks and hangars they currently had above ground, to mine the natural resources below the forests and replace them with gleaming black and silver corridors, to harness the energy of the core below and eventually the sun above.

But eventually it would be done, and the Death Star would be nothing in comparison.

“Remember this day son.” Hux put a hand on Armitage’s shoulder. His son had been a disappointment since the day he was born - the unintended product of an affair, the resemblance to Hux making denials impossible, and the resultant shame he'd faced from other Officers only to willing to rub the indiscretion in his face. But Hux’s wife was gone, his lover was gone, and he had a responsibility to the boy who, while illegitimate, was his only heir.

Armitage was eager to please, with no real will of his own other than a desperate desire to prove himself. Hux had treated him more harshly than any their cadet, forcing the sliver of potential to flourish through sheer force. After all, a piece of rock could never become a gemstone without heat and absolute pressure, and although he was still a thin, reedy boy of fourteen, Hux was determined to burden the child until he evolved. If not, he would be crushed.

“Our victory begins now,” Hux said, squeezing Armitage’s shoulder hard enough to hurt, and was pleased when his son did not flinch.

“The victory began a long time ago,” a deep, raspy voice came from behind, and Hux turned.

“Lord Snoke,” Hux greeted him, and then nudged his son to stand at attention. “You honour us with your presence.”

After the signing of the Galactic Concordance Hux had found himself unwelcome around his former colleagues. He had thought the negotiations had simply been a way to buy time until the Empire was strong enough to strike back against the Rebels and their so-called New Republic. The only pleasure for him had been seeing that chit Valara deliver one of the drafts, and the weakness in her painfully exposed. The Grand Inquisitor had spirited her away from the Academy before Hux had been given the chance to mould her, instead taking that privilege for himself. Sniffing in derision at the memory, Hux knew if she’d remained in his charge the girl would never have defected. She would have been loyal, or died.

But on finding out the other Imperial remnants were content to roll over and allow themselves to be gutted by the Rebels in exchange for peace Hux had been disgusted. His calls for continued aggression had been ignored, and so he’d taken his son, like-minded officers and loyal cadets out into the Unknown Regions.

How Snoke had found him, Hux still wasn’t sure. He didn’t even really know who Snoke was, other than he was powerful, old, and possessed the same ambitions as Hux. He didn’t seem like it, of course, his species indeterminate, his face white and deformed as if he’d been broken down and rebuilt a hundred times. He was at least two metres tall, looming over Hux who was not used to looking up.

Snoke had been a Grand Admiral once, and before that Palpatine’s secret protege. He'd gone by another name then, one Hux had heard whispered on occasion although what he did to earn his station no one knew. It had been Snoke, he'd discovered later, that had arranged for his and Armitage’s evacuation from Arkanis before the Rebels took it in their rampage towards Jakku. Hux was important, Snoke had told him, and since he'd always held the same opinion it was an easy alliance to forge.

“You will be pleased to hear that your visit to Coruscant was productive,” Snoke said, black eyes on the drill as it pierced another place in the hard rock. “It has made the boy curious.”

Hux had never understood the ways of the Jedi, although he had appreciated the discipline of their academies, taking the chosen few when they were small and indoctrination easy. The next generation of soldiers for the First Order had already begun their training in the barracks and halls of the Base, their only purpose to serve.

But the late Palpatine had been gifted with the Force, and so Hux saw no reason to interfere with Snoke and his dark side acolytes if it helped their cause.

“When do you plan to take him?” Hux asked, looking forward to having the young Solo in his grasp. That was a boy with a fierce will.

“That is not my plan,” Snoke said, and Hux hid his surprise. “An abduction will only make him defiant.” Snoke folded his spindly fingers together and gave a gaping, black smile. “No, I must turn his mind before I steal his soul - let him know that I am the only one he can trust, the only one who will tell him the truth. Then, he will come to me.”

Hux inclined his head in deference. “Then I leave it to you, Lord Snoke.”

Skywalker quarters, Devaron

Luke watched his wife as she prepared for bed. It was the same routine every night, a succession of steps as she moved from the closet, to the refresher, to the dressing table, counting each stride in her head. Luke was always sure never to move anything from its appointed place so that when she reached for something she could always be sure that it was there. He watched as she picked up a brush without needing to feel for it, and began to sweep it through her hair. It had grown long over the past few years, falling halfway down her back in soft brown waves, the brush moving softly through them with an even pace.

It was the small moments like this that Luke lived for - whatever was happening outside in the Temple, their room was a cocoon, a buffet against the storm. Of course, they could never fully escape.

“I had a call from Leia today,” he began softly, uncertain of how she was going to react to the news.

“Is she well?” Valara asked. “I heard Han won another racing title.”

“He did, and she is,” Luke smiled, although it was a little pained. Best to get it over with, he decided. “She asked if Ben can come here to train. He'll be arriving next week.”

Valara’s hand stilled, the brush halfway through her hair. Her face was turned away from him, but Luke could feel a spike of her displeasure through the Force. “Just like that?” she asked, her voice deceptively even. “Without even asking me?”

“Would you really have me refuse my sister?”

Valara sighed, placing the brush back down on the dressing table and turning around to face him. “No,” she said begrudgingly. “But isn't he a bit young? I thought you were adamant about not taking children away from their families.”

“Well, we are his family too,” Luke reminded her. “And Han and Leia will visit often. He's desperate to come apparently, and Leia says she's felt uneasy about the dark influences.” Luke hesitated, the next words even harder to say.

“What is it?” Valara stood and crossed the room, taking a seat on the bed beside him. “Tell me.”

“Hux was there,” he told her, taking her hand and squeezing it lightly. “On Coruscant - Leia found him talking to Ben.”

Luke could almost feel the chill that must have run down Valara’s spine - her face was impassive, the red scars around her eyes stark against her pale skin, but underneath the surface he could sense a swirl of fear. Valara’s throat worked as she swallowed and then blinked twice in succession.

“He wants him,” she said, her voice like lead. “Ben is exactly the kind of child Hux would have chosen for his cadets, or taken to the Inquisitors.”

“Leia thinks he’ll be safer here,” Luke caressed Valara’s cheek, hoping his soft touch would help quell her painful memories. “And that training will help him better protect himself as well.”

“Well that’s one thing we can agree on,” Valara’s unease dissipated as quickly as it had come. “The kid needs boundaries, to be somewhere his abilities are not unique.” She took his hand on her cheek and kissed his palm, then tugged on it lightly. “Now shove over,” she said playfully.

Luke shifted to his side of the bed and pulled back the covers so they could settle themselves underneath. He took Valara in his arms, brushing dark hair back from her face.

“I'll be able to give him one on one training here,” he told her. In fact, he was rather looking forward to it.

“And are you sure you'll have time?” Valara smiled as if she had a secret. “What if in a few months you find yourself with more...pressing responsibilities?”

Luke’s brow furrowed. “What greater responsibility could I have than training my nephew to be a Jedi?”

Valara laughed to herself and the turned over, pressing her face against the pillow. “Good night, Luke.”

“What is it?” Luke spooned her, his arm skirting her side and coming to rest gently on her belly in a position that had become almost instinctive. It was unlike his wife to be coy, usually she told him exactly what she was thinking.

“You've got good instincts, Luke,” she said, resting her hand over his. “Surely you can sense it?”

Luke’s heart skipped a beat as he caught her meaning. He stretched out through the Force, past Valara’s own distinctive and familiar presence to find a small burst of light in her womb.

“You’re going to be a father, Red Five,” Valara said with a teasing lilt, turning back around in his arms to accept his kiss. Luke didn’t know it was possible to feel so much joy at once, his heart fit to burst as he held Valara tightly, his mind already racing with plans and dreams. He had reconciled himself to the likelihood that it would never happen for them - sometimes life was like that, and Luke had always found a way to move past disappointment and focus on what he did have to be grateful for.

“How do you feel?” Luke asked, pulling back in case he was crushing her. He stroked her hair back again as she gave him an amused smile. “Do you need anything?”

Valara laughed and poked him lightly in the belly. “You’re going to be a right mother avian, aren’t you?”

“Can’t help it,” Luke grinned, his hand pressing lightly against her belly. “This little one is going to be the most loved kid in the galaxy.” He felt a fierce wave of affection, for both his wife and the child who was already everything to him.

“I don’t doubt it.” Valara bit her lip, and Luke felt her apprehension, and prodded her to speak.

“I never had a mother” she said with a sigh. “Or anything resembling a healthy parental figure. I know how to teach, but I’m not sure I can nurture.”

Luke knew better than to dismiss her fears - they weren’t unfounded. “Look how far you’ve come in the past few years,” he told her softly. “I don’t think anyone really knows what they’re doing when they have a child - Leia says half the time it’s just stumbling through, hoping you’re doing the right thing. And we’ll be in this together, just like with everything else.”

Valara reached up to touch his face, as she often did when they were alone, tracing the dent in his cheek where bone had been shattered by the wampa attack, brushing across the crease in his forehead, following the line of his jaw and the cleft in his chin. It had become one of her many routines, soothing to them both when she would finally press her fingers to his mouth and he would smile for her.

“You, me and baby Skywalker,” she said, pulling him down to her. “Sounds like a good team.”

18. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Great update! Ominous on 2 sides, but at least there's one happy ray of sunshine.

<snicker>

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Your Han/Leia is of course exquisite and especially touching! Hux with Snoke - just creepy. :p Luke with Valara - SQUEEEEEEE! :) :) The bestest of news! [face_dancing]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

I see what you did there ;)

Thank you! Finally we're getting somewhere :p

Tags: @mattman8907, @EGKenobi, Jedi_Perigrine

15 ABY, Jedi Temple, Devaron

Her X-Wing was being temperamental. Valara ran her hands over the hull as if she could discern the problem through touch alone. She knew every dent, every plane, every inch of the starfighter she had spent years rebuilding, and there were few things that gave her more pleasure than spending hours slowly and diligently working. Let Luke keep his morning meditations, she did her best thinking in the hangar.

Valara rubbed her distended belly, shifting the weight between her aching feet. She felt like a purrgil, lumbering and swollen between star systems. The baby had dropped, and Valara felt utterly graceless as she waddled around the Temple, glowering her discomfort at everyone she passed. She had come down to work on her X-Wing to get her mind off the ache in her back which had left her unable to sleep much the previous night.

Luke didn’t know their child was a girl - he’d wanted it to be a surprise, even when Valara hadn’t been able to resist reaching out to the life inside of her. He’d always had greater willpower, she’d conceded, but had enjoyed teasing him in the past months, hinting one way or the other. But even that had worn thin and Valara found herself agitated, overheated, and above all bone tired.

“When are you going to come out little one?” Valara asked softly, rubbing circular motions over her belly. “I think we’ve waited long enough.” The baby kicked as if in defiance, and Valara let out a huff of air. “Alright,” she said with a strain which turned into a chuckle. “At least I know you’ve got spirit.”

At the back of her mind Valara felt a twinge, and she lifted her head to turn her attention back to her ship without acknowledging the intruder.

“Aunt V?” Ben’s voice behind her, somewhat hesitant. She could hear the slight scuffle of his boots against the floor, as if not sure of his welcome.

“What is it Ben?” As always, she was careful to keep her voice soft and not betray the annoyance she felt at being interrupted.

“Can...can I help you with your ship?”

Valara turned. Ben was bright in the Force, not to the extent that Luke was of course, but the boy had his own unique light she had grown used to. However, there was often a ripple, a shimmer through her Force-sight that Valara told herself was due to his youth. As strong in the Force as he was, Ben wasn’t quite formed yet.

“Of course,” she said evenly. “But why aren’t you training with the others?”

“Uncle Luke is with Laisha and Maliak.”

“Well, they’ll both be knighted soon, and are preparing for their final tests.” It was a big moment for Luke as well as his two apprentices - the first of the new generation of Jedi Knights. “But there are other things to do in the Temple - like joining the others in their practice?”

Ben sighed loudly. “I don’t want to bother them.”

Valara turned back to her X-Wing under the pretense of grasping the power board which would help her locate electrical faults. Ben was the youngest student in the Temple by some years, and had some trouble relating to the others, prone to sullen moods and a constant need for attention. She had cautioned Luke not to show him favouritism over the others, and perhaps in Ben’s young mind that had seemed like a snub.

“Come on then,” she said, patting the side of the open cockpit. “Get in here and you can help me check the controls I re-wired yesterday.”

She felt a small rush of air as Ben scrambled up and into the cockpit. “Careful now,” she cautioned. “Don’t break anything.”

Ben scoffed. “It’s already broken, Aunt V.”

“Well, some things have been fixed,” she said, although couldn’t help but smile as she lightly stroked the hull again. “Do you know the controls?”

“They kind of like the Falcon’s,” Ben said, and she heard him wiggle in the seat.

“Hmph.” Valara scrunched up her nose. “This ship may be a piece of junk now, but she will be great again - the same can’t be said for that scrap heap.” She felt along her power board until she found the button which corresponded with the ignition. It had taken a while to memorise the program, but it had become second nature to her.

“Did that light up?” she asked as she pressed down.

“Yep,” Ben confirmed. “That’s to start the flight sequence, right?”

“Right,” Valara smiled, and pressed another button. “And this one’s to activate the targeting computer.”

“Nothing happened,” Ben told her, although Valara had already confirmed that when he hadn’t heard the familiar whirl of the control.

“Alright,” she sighed. “That needs work.”

“How do you know which wires to connect?”

“Practice,” she said, tapping him lightly on the nose before reaching for her toolkit and withdrawing pliers. “Focus, and precision. I’ve gotten a few electric shocks in the process though,” she warned him, leaning over him in the cockpit to access the panel beside the targeting computer. It was somewhat difficult with her rounded belly, and it always took a few moments to get into the right position but Valara was determined not to let even her advanced pregnancy interfere with work on her ship.

“Watch, and don’t touch,” she said, pulling out two of the wires.

It was easy to fall into instructor mode, explaining the work as she did it, allowing him to help her visually. It was quite companionable, and for a moment Valara saw why Luke always described him as a sweet child - once the pout went away and Ben was truly engaged, he asked intelligent questions. Buoyed by their progress, Valara tried to show him how to reach out with the Force to feel the mechanics of the ship.

“She has no heartbeat or blood,” Valara said softly, pressing Ben’s hand to the control panel. “She is not a living being like you and I, but if you concentrate she can help you understand her.”

Valara felt Ben reach out, his concentration extreme. After a few minutes, however, he pulled his hand away and huffed. “I can’t feel anything.”

“You barely tried,” Valara tried to keep from scolding him, but failed. “You can’t expect to be good at everything right away.”

“I just don’t get machines,” Ben said, audibly shifting in the pilot’s seat. “I’m not good at flying, either.”

“I thought your father took you flying in the Falcon?” Valara leaned back out of the cockpit, sensing that no more work would be done.

“He tried to teach me.” There was shimmer in the Force presence. “I disappointed him.”

“I’m sure that’s not true,” Valara protested, putting a hand on Ben’s shoulder. She could imagine Han being surprised that Ben hadn’t inherited his natural gift for flying, but she couldn’t imagine him being disappointed. Perhaps Han had simply not wanted to place expectations on Ben that he must be a pilot like his father, uncle and grandfather, but in not pressing the issue Ben had taken it as rejection.

“Luke says you’ve got a real gift for telekenisis,” she added, trying to bolster his spirits. “Some things will come easy to you, like second nature. Others you have to work at, and I can tell you from experience, it’s those achievements that are the most rewarding.”

Ben didn’t say anything, but she could sense that he didn’t exactly take her words to heart. He was a child to which everything had come easy; he had loving parents who doted on him, a talent in the Force greater than any other students at the Academy, and a diligent teacher in Luke. Sometimes Valara wanted to take him by the shoulders and shake some sense into the boy - didn’t he realise how lucky he was? She’d had no such advantages as a child, and when she thought back to the half-starved girl in the orphanage who’d been told every day how insignificant and worthless she was…

But Valara always had to remind herself that he was still a child, and she should be thankful that he didn’t suffer the same life she’d had. Ben was looking at her, she could feel his probing gaze even if she couldn’t see it and wondered if he was peeking into her mind.

“I’ll let you practice in my simulator if you like,” Valara said, forcing brightness into her voice. “So the next time you see your father you can show him how much you’ve learned.”

“Yeah, okay.” Ben didn’t sound too enthused, and Valara tried not to take offence. The dull ache in her back had increased and Valara waddled over to the stool by the left wing, sighing as she sat down. A spasm went through her abdomen, and Valara winced.

“Are you okay, Aunt V?” In a few moments Ben was at her side.

“Fine,” Valara said through clenched teeth.

“Is the baby coming?”

“I don’t know.” Valara rubbed her belly again. Aya was an elderly Mirialan woman who’d come to the Temple to learn to use the Force for healing. She’d agreed to act as midwife and had been extremely patient with Valara’s persistent questions over the last months. Aya had mentioned that it could be difficult to know the difference between normal contractions and actual labor, and even the early stages of the latter could take hours.

“Are you ready to meet your cousin?” Valara asked, trying to keep herself distracted.

Another shimmer in Ben’s Force presence, but this one quickly smoothed away. “Maybe I can teach her when she’s older,” he said. “She can be my apprentice.”

Valara smiled thinly, knowing that she wouldn’t trust anyone but Luke with her daughter. “Perhaps,” she lied. “If she wants to be a Jedi.”

“Why wouldn’t she?” Ben’s confusion was obvious, as if he’d never considered that any other path was possible.

“I’m not a Jedi,” Valara reminded him. “It’s not the only path.”

“But you’re not a real Skywalker,” Ben said shortly and Valara leaned back, somewhat stunned. “I mean, by blood,” he added quickly. “But the baby will be the grandchild of the Chosen One just like me - it’s her destiny.”

“Your mother isn’t a Jedi either,” Valara pointed out. “She uses her gifts in different ways.”

She heard Ben’s boots scuffle against the floor again. “I asked her why she didn’t let Uncle Luke train her more, but she never really wants to talk about it.”

Valara grimaced, knowing exactly why Leia wanted to avoid that subject. “I think she’d say she does far more good in the Senate than she could here.”

“How can that be true through?” Ben asked. “Jedi are needed more than senators. And then Mom could move here.”

Rubbing her belly again, Valara was beginning to see that his concerns ran deeper. “I know you miss them,” she said softly. “And monthly visits just aren’t the same. You can go home if that’s what you want, and start your training when you’re older.”

“No.” Ben’s voice was firm. “I want to learn now.”

Valara shifted in her seat, unable to find a comfortable position. “How did you know about the Chosen One prophecy?” she asked, unable to shake his earlier words. “Did Luke tell you?”

“I’ve been looking in the archives,” Ben said, and Valara could sense him become guarded. “When Uncle Luke told me what a great Jedi he’d been I wanted to know more.”

“I see.” Valara carefully fortified her mind, to ensure that Ben didn’t pick up on any wayward thoughts. She knew how deeply it cut Luke not to be able to share the full extent of his father’s story with Ben, but she certainly understood Leia’s position. Valara wasn’t sure she would want her daughter knowing about Anakin - let alone her own dark past.

“I’ve read all the mission reports from the Clone Wars,” Ben gushed. “And watched all the holos - Anakin was fantastic! I want to be a great Jedi like he was.”

“Or you could try being a great Jedi on your own terms,” Valara suggested.

“I’ve got a lot to live up to,” was Ben’s response, and Valara was almost grateful she felt another cramp. She wasn’t sure if it was longer than the first one, but it gave her the perfect opportunity to extract herself from the conversation.

“Help me up.” She held out her hand to Ben who grasped it and her elbow, assisting her to stand. “Let’s go find Aya.”

Luke ran through the halls of the Temple, taking the stairs two at a time up to the infirmary. He’d been out in the forest until nightfall and returned to find Ben waiting for him at the entrance where he’d evidently been posted as lookout. Valara had been in labor for some time already, and on hearing the news Luke bolted, leaving Laisha, Maliak and Ben behind.

He burst through the doors of the room and saw Valara leaning against the wall by the window where the moonlight streamed in, highlighting the sheen of sweat on her face. She was breathing heavily and her exhaustion radiated through the Force.

“V.” Luke was at her side in an instant, brushing the wet hair back from her forehead and lightly placing his hand on her back. “Why didn’t you have someone come and get me?”

Valara turned to him and laughed. “I’m being true to form.”

Aya approached and gave him a warm smile. “There is some time to go yet, Luke, you haven’t missed anything.”

“Except my constant swearing,” Valara said, but her face soon contorted with pain and she let out a cry. Luke took her into his arms, her hands clasping behind his neck and face burying into his shoulder.

“I’m here,” Luke whispered, gently rubbing her back and reaching out through the Force. The intensity of her pain shocked him slightly but he did not flinch, soothing and taking some of it from her as Valara sighed with relief.

“I’m glad,” she said, and held him tighter.

A few hours later, not much progress had been made and Valara’s opinion changed. She screamed and cried through her contractions, pushing him away as she wandered aimlessly around the infirmary.

“I can’t do this,” she sobbed, grasping the edge of the medcot and leaning forward. Aya lay her olive-green hands on Valara’s belly and Luke felt completely useless.

“All is well, Valara,” she said, her voice light and motherly. “It is just taking time.”

Valara shook her head, taking in sharp breaths. “No.” She pushed herself off the cot and lumbered towards the door. “No, I have to leave.”

Luke blocked her way, lightly grasping her by the shoulders. “V, you can’t run from this.”

“Yes I can,” she said through tears, and Luke wondered if a delirium had taken hold of her.

“Valara, look at me.” Luke gently raised her chin until her eyes met his. He often did that, believing that in her own way she could see him. “You promised never to run, remember?

“I’ve been through worse pain than this,” she told him, her hands tightly grasping his biceps. “So why can’t I do it?”

“You are doing it,” he said, reaching out through the Force to envelop her.

“No, I can’t,” she shook her head again. “I can’t be a mother, I don’t know how.”

“I’m scared, too.” Luke brought her back into his embrace, stroking her hair. “It’s uncharted territory for both of us, and I’m so afraid of failing.”

“How could you,” Valara huffed. “You’re perfect, you bastard.”

Luke chuckled. “Far from it, as you well know.”

“I love you,” she said hoarsely and lifted her face, her mood swinging back again. “I love you so much, Luke.”

He kissed her lightly, drinking in her agony tempered with pure joy, sharing his own love back with her. Valara clutched at him as another contraction shook her, and Luke had to hold her tightly to stop her sinking to the floor.

“They’re getting closer now,” Aya touched Valara’s shoulder lightly. “Did you want to move to the birthing chair?”

“No.” Valara looked up at Luke with her cloudy gaze. “I want to go upstairs.”

“Upstairs?” Luke repeated, taking to moment to catch her meaning. “To the tree?”

Valara nodded, and smiled for the first time in hours. He glanced over her shoulder to Aya, who indicated her consent - she’d spoken to Luke previously about letting Valara guide her own childbirth as long as it was safe. Luke realised his wife was reaching out to the Force voluntarily for guidance and comfort, and wanted to be where it was the strongest, where their child had been conceived.

“Alright.” Luke cupped her cheek and kissed her forehead.

The light of dawn was streaming in by the time Luke held his daughter in his arms. He couldn’t quite believe that the tiny baby was real, the warm sun on her pale cheeks almost giving her an unearthly glow. He could feel her presence in the Force already, like a ray of light streaming through his heart. The Force was all around them, in the tree which had watched over the child’s birth, in Valara, in Luke, and now in their daughter. He’d never felt it so strongly.

"What does she look like?" Valara asked, still breathing heavily as Aya helped her to lay against the pillows they’d brought up from the infirmary and propped up beside the Force tree.

"She's beautiful," Luke brushed his fingers over his daughter's crown as he returned to Valara’s side. "Dark hair like you, my love." He lay the baby against his wife’s chest, and her arms folded around the child instinctively.

“You did it,” he said, pressing a kiss to her cheek, and he didn’t remember when he’d ever been so happy.

“Now comes the hard part.” Valara’s shaking fingers traced the baby’s features.

“That wasn’t it?” Luke laughed, although he knew what she meant. He lay his hand protectively on the baby, wanting to hold them both close and never let go.

“So, Red Five,” Valara looked up at him, a grin starting to form. “What should we call her?”

Luke looked out towards the sun filtering in through the branches and leaves of the tree above them. When he turned his gaze back and touched his daughter’s cheek, he knew the perfect choice.

“Rey.”

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :) [face_sigh] !!! =D= Beautiful, simply! Can we freeze-frame it right there? ;) [face_love]

22. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    What a touching scene all around! you painted the picture for me perfectly.

Including that little turd Ben. I just want to drop-kick him across the room. :D

23. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    REYYYYYYYYY! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

You can stop right here. Ben's awful, Luke's wonderful, and everyone deserves to be happy. In the AU of this AU in my mind that's just what happens. ;)

24. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

LOL, if you like! And thank you!

Thank you! And yeah...every family has that kid who is a bit terrible but they're all too close to see it :p

[face_laugh] I think we can safely say that in this AU of the AU none of the terrible stuff in TFA would happen, so fair call!

Tags: @mattman8907, @EGKenobi, Jedi_Perigrine

17 ABY, Tikaroo, Devaron

The small town of Tikaroo was hardly a hub of activity, but market days ensured that the small streets were fuller than usual. Valara always chose that time for her weekly walk into town, the increased bustle of activity making her Force-sight clearer with figures of light ambling around her. The rest of the town she knew well, the landing platform at one end of the plateau and farmland on the other, a cluster of buildings therebetween including a few homes, a ship repairs workshop and a well-frequented pub. On market days temporary stalls were set up in the town square primarily for the farmers to trade goods and produce with one another, although there were a smattering of local arts and crafts directed towards the occasional tourist trade and those that wandered down from the Temple.

Valara hiked Rey further up on her hip as she walked into the town, mentally counting her steps. “Can you walk now Rey-bey?” she asked the child. “Mummy’s arms are getting tired.”

Rey squirmed in her arms but loosened her grip around Valara’s neck. “Yep.”

Valara set her down thankfully but kept hold of the child’s hand. “Don’t run off,” she warned her, and they slowly made their way through the crowd. Rey was speedy when left to her own devices, toddling quickly through the Temple and giggling when chased, but when forced to hold an adult’s hand she almost seemed to walk deliberately slowly, as if it was her own brand of defiance.

It wasn’t as if they were in a hurry, but Valara had always walked purposefully and it took great effort to temper her strides.

“Pika.” Rey tugged on Valara’s hand. “Pika.”

Valara groaned inwardly - someone must have brought a domesticated pikhron to market. Rey was fascinated by animals, and Valara knew if they stopped the child would spend ages petting the creature and trying to make it her friend.

“Maybe later,” Valara lied, having every intention of distracting Rey until she forgot about the animal. “We have to go see Yima, don’t you remember?”

“Yima!” Rey stopped her resistance and allowed herself to be directed through the market to a dwelling on the far side. It was a freestanding building which functioned as a general store, owned by an elderly native Devaronian who spent her days propped up on a small bench outside, watching the comings and goings of Tikaroo.

“Valara,” Yima greeted as they approached. “You’re later than I expected, it’s almost noon.”

“Ah, well,” Valara sank gratefully down on the bench. “I had a time wrangling this one, she just didn’t want to put on her shoes today.”

“And how are you, Rey, my little pet?” Yima’s voice took on a sweetness reserved only for children. “Come here and give old Yima a hug.”

Rey giggled, and Valara released her hand as she bounded over to accept Yima’s embrace. She heard a rustle of paper that she had no doubt was a sweet being unwrapped.

“You’ll spoil her with those,” Valara grumbled more out of habit than anything else.

“Oh, hush,” Yima said. “The girl needs a bit of spoiling.”

“What do you say?” Valara prompted, touching Rey’s arm lightly.

“Ta,” she said obediently through a mouth full of sweet.

“I have your usual order inside,” Yima said, as Valara heard Rey audibly chewing - whatever the old woman had given her, it was sticky. “But can I interest you in a drink before you go?”

Valara smiled - she’d not once turned down the offer so far. “Of course.”

“Boy!” Yima bellowed to her assistant inside the shop. “Bring the order and a cup of vinejuice.” The boy must have been expecting the instruction, for Valara heard his light footsteps approach and felt a filled canvas bag brush by her leg. She held out her hand and he carefully placed a cool metal cup into her grip.

“Thank you.” Valara took a long sip as the boy retreated back inside. “Still the best moonshine in Tikaroo.”

“Compared to the swill they serve over at the pub at least.” Yima tapped her staff into the earth idly. That got Rey’s attention, and she scrambled off the old woman’s lap to croach on the ground and examine it. Valara watched for a few moments, her daughter a bright burst of light in the Force and so familiar to her that she could easily see her movements.

“So any news? Valara asked, taking another sip of vinejuice.

“There was a bounty hunter snooping around the other day,” Yima said. “Said he was a trader of Imperial artifacts, thought Luke might want to have a look at them. Saw right through him, though, he wasn’t looking to trade.”

Valara felt her blood run cold, and she reached down to smooth Rey’s hair. The child was happily babbling away to herself, drawing patterns in the earth and Valara quickly hid her fear so Rey would not sense it.

“Any idea what they were looking for?” Valara asked. “Or who?”

“‘Fraid not,” Yima sighed. “Warned him off right good, although I’m sure he got a great deal of false information from those blustering idiots at the pub.”

Forcing a smile, Valara tried to quell her unease. There was a reason she and Luke guarded their privacy - even the knowledge of Rey’s existence could be dangerous, and there was still the looming threat to Ben.

“Let me know if you see him again.”

“Of course.” Yima patted her hand. “Other than enjoying your company, my dear, the Temple has revitalised this town - if it wasn’t for all the new customers I’d have to go live out in the forest with the Elders.”

“Farnay seems to enjoy it,” Valara pointed out with a smile.

“Nice girl,” Yima agreed. “But I prefer stone walls and new blood. Like this one,” he said, the scratch of her cane against the ground pointing her in the right direction. “Fresh off the transport.”

“Hello,” a youngish sounding voice greeted them. “I wonder if you could help me, I'm looking for Luke Skywalker.”

“Aren’t we all,” Yima said, elbowing Valara lightly. “The man owes me eighty credits from last week’s sabacc game.”

“Oh.” The sound was enough to convey deep confusion and surprise. “I mean, I'm looking for the Temple.”

“So, you want to be a Jedi.” Valara assessed the girl, whose presence in the Force indicated a mild strength and no deceit.

“Yes ma’am.” The sound of the girl’s boots clicking to attention made Valara smile - she was probably New Republic military. “I docked my Y-Wing at the depot because the Temple’s landing bays appear to be unregistered. I couldn't get a visual either.”

“That Temple’s had a history,” Yimi told her. “But Master Skywalker is smart, has a cloaking device over the place now - you can't land there unless you've got clearance codes. Likes his privacy, does Master Skywalker.”

“Yes, they say that,” the girl said absently, and her Force presence shifting, indicating she had dropped to one knee. “Is this your daughter?” she asked.

“Yes.” Valara reached down and touched Rey’s shoulder protectively.

“What’s your name little one?” the girl asked. “I’m Sesha.”

“Rey.”

“Aren’t you pretty?” Sesha enthused. “You look just like your Mama.”

Rey giggled, easily won over by captive attention. Valara eased her grip, sensing no ill will and not wanting her daughter to grow up to be a suspicious and solitary child like she had been.

“How old are you, Rey?” Sesha asked, practically cooing. “Two?” she said, after Rey must have held up her fingers.

“Not quite,” Valara chuckled softly.

“You’re just smart for your age, huh?” Sesha continued, and audibly rustled through a bag or pack she had with her. “Here, would you like this?”

“It’s a small wooden puzzle,” Yima murmured to Valara.

“They make them on Gianisilla, my homeworld,” Sesha explained. “You slide the pieces like this,” she instructed, and soon Rey was happily playing with the toy.

“Can I get to the Temple on foot?” Sesha asked as she stood again.

“Getting there isn't the problem,” Yima’s voice was noticeably softer. “Getting inside is another matter - they say there's some kind of test at the entrance, and only the pure of heart can enter.”

Valara grinned - baiting tourists was one of Yimi’s favourite pastimes, and it was certainly worth the listen. Her words weren’t strictly a lie, if “pure of heart” was taken from a certain point of view.

“I thought...they said Master Skywalker would accept anyone who wanted to learn.” Sesha sounded a bit worried.

“If they write to him, yes,” Yimi told her. “He’ll often come to greet the transports if he knows who's coming. But he's not going to let every ruffian who wanders by into the only Jedi sanctum in the galaxy, is he? Not after what happened to his predecessors.”

“I suppose that makes sense. I'm sure I'll pass the test.”

“Well you can hire a local guide at the pub over there, just don't let them talk you into game hunting, it’s illegal.”

“Oh.” This time Sesha sounded disappointed. “I'm running somewhat short of funds, I had to refuel unexpectedly and-”

“That’s alright,” Valara cut her off. “I’ll take you if you like.”

“Oh, do you train at the Temple?”

“No, but I live there.” Valara leant down to grasp Rey’s hand. “We’ve got a few errands to run but meet me back here in an hour and we’ll head back.”

“Oh, I’ll help you if you like,” Sesha said.

Valara didn’t like at all, but she’d learned to deal with over-eager youth. “Fine,” she sighed. “You can start by carrying that bag.”

Some time later they set off into the jungle, Sesha laden down with Valara’s purchases. The girl hadn’t stopped talking since they’d met, and Valara only half-listened to her stories of a childhood reading stories of the Jedi, of joining the New Republic Y-Wing corps where her commander had suggested she might be Force sensitive.

“So here I am,” Sesha said, keeping pace with Valara’s quick strides. “To see if he was right.”

Rey had gone to sleep in Valara’s arms and so she chose not to answer, hoping Sesha would allow a bit of silence. She got a reprieve of perhaps thirty seconds.

“Does Master Skywalker really owe that woman credits from a sabacc game?”

Valara smiled to herself. “No.”

Sesha exhaled. “I thought not.”

“I can tell you from experience, Luke's a much better player than that.” Valara’s cheeks felt pleasantly warm at the memories.

“You mean...he actually plays?” The girl sounded incredulous.

“Sesha, you’ll find that Luke Skywalker does a lot of things you wouldn't expect.”

Rey stirred at her father’s name. “Daddy,” she said sleepily.

“Yes, darling.” Valara stroked her hair. “We’ll see him soon.”

Sesha seemed not to notice, or at least Valara did not sense increased scrutiny in the Force or anything which indicated the girl had noticed the connection.

“It’s just, he’s this legend,” Sesha was stuck on the topic. “I know he was a pilot, but everyone talks about him like he was some kind of god. I guess I never thought of him as…”

“Just a man who plays sabacc in his spare time?” Valara finished for her. It was a conversation she had with half the people who came to the Temple, expecting no less than true enlightenment from Luke. She knew how heavily that burdened him, that in even in their solitude he could not escape his infamy and the weight of expectation.

She felt a flush of embarrassment from Sesha - who had the worst natural shields Valara had ever come across.

“Silly, isn’t it?” Sesha gave a nervous laugh, and Valara shifted Rey in her arms trying to ease the weight. Her child shifted and sighed, but soon settled back against her shoulder.

“Yes,” Valara agreed. “But not uncommon.”

“I’m glad I met you first,” Sesha enthused. “So I don’t make a fool out of myself in front of Master Skywalker.”

She really should just tell the girl, Valara told herself, take pity on her youth and ignorance so she would understand.

“If you’re not a Jedi, why do you live at the Temple?” Sesha asked.

“My husband is a Jedi.” Not a lie, although not the whole truth either.

“Oh, that’s great,” Sesha said. “I mean, I read all about the non-attachment rules the old Jedi had. I think Master Skywalker has done the right thing getting rid of them. I’m not sure I could give that kind of thing up.”

Valara smiled to herself - no doubt most of Luke’s other students felt the same way. “Have you got someone special in your life?”

“No.” Sesha sounded almost sheepish. “But...one day, I hope. Is your daughter Force sensitive?”

“Yes,” Valara stroked Rey’s hair again. “She’s very strong in the Force.”

“It’s so wonderful that Master Skywalker lets families live at the Temple.”

Valara bit her lip to stifle a laugh. “We’re here,” she said, coming to a stop at the edge of the jungle.

“I don’t see anything.” Sesha was no doubt looking across the plateau which appeared no different from the rest of the landscape

“Listen,” Valara instructed her, and finally the girl fell silent. It was obvious to Valara without concentration - the hum of the generator powering the cloaking device.

“I hear it,” Sesha said after several minutes. “So, what do I do?”

“If the Force is with you, you’ll know.”

The circular courtyard at the base of the main tower was as tranquil as the day Luke had first found it fifteen years earlier. The fountain had been repaired and now flowed freely, the flagstones cleaned and weeds removed although Luke had let the surrounding gardens continue to grow wild rather than trimming them back to their once-carefully manicured state. He preferred them that way.

Nor had he rebuilt the statues which had once lined the courtyard, bearing faces of great Jedi of old. Luke strongly believed that while respect of past figures helped inspire young Jedi, erecting statues seemed like a kind of vanity he wanted to avoid.

Ben stood by the fountain holding a lightsaber, his eyes tracking the training remote which hovered in front of him. It was easy to see himself in his nephew, although physically they could not be more different - Ben taller than a twelve year old had any right to be, dark hair and eyes with a serious mien. But when Luke had stood on that spot years earlier he’d had the same focus, the same determination to succeed.

“Remember to trust your instincts,” Luke advised him. “Let the Force direct you, not the other way around.”

“You mean I’m not in control?” Ben asked, and again Luke saw himself, this time on the Falcon asking Obi-Wan if the Force controlled his actions.

“You can always be in control of yourself,” Luke advised him. “No matter what, Ben, your choices are always your own. But if you open yourself up to the Force it can work through you to achieve great things.”

Ben swung the lightsaber to block a blaster bolt that streaked towards him from the remote. “This doesn’t seem that great,” he said, blocking another bolt with ease.

“There are many who would think it was,” Luke told him sternly. “Always be thankful for your gifts Ben, and mindful of the responsibility they hold.” Valara had warned him to temper Ben’s pride which could quickly run to arrogance, and Luke was mindful of that advice. But he also knew Ben was on the brink of puberty and didn’t want to be too quick to assume danger in normal teenage emotion.

He wondered how the old Jedi Order had dealt with that, although by then the padawans had been through years of vigorous training already. It made him uneasy to think about, the repression of emotion taught so young and Luke had never once questioned his decision not to train children. Ben was the exception, of course, and every day Luke wondered whether he should have persuaded Leia otherwise when she’d asked to send her son to him. The past two years he had been careful not to overwhelm Ben with advanced training - rather he’d focused on control and sensing exercises, together with basic skills such a telekinesis for which Ben had shown great aptitude.

Today was the first lesson with a lightsaber. Ben had been begging for months, and Luke had finally relented after confirming with his wife that he’d sufficiently mastered basic combat technique.

“Try not to shift your blade too much,” Luke advised, as Ben was slashing the saber though the air following the movements of the remote. “Centre your focus, and you’ll know when to move.”

Ben nodded and stilled. Luke could feel the Force flow powerfully through him as he deflected a succession of blaster bolts.

“Well done.” Luke waved his hand and disabled the remote, which floated gently down to rest on the stone by Ben’s feet. “I think that’s enough for today.”

“Aw, Uncle Luke, can’t we keep going?” Ben asked with more than a hint of a whine. “This is so much fun!”

“I know,” he agreed. “But everything in moderation.”

A familiar beep sounded from the far side of the courtyard, and Luke turned to see Artoo roll up. He warbled and beeped some more, and Luke laughed.

“What did he say?” Ben asked, shutting down the lightsaber.

“He thinks I’m a hypocrite.” Luke walked over to Artoo and placed a hand on the droid’s dome fondly. “When I first came here I went four hours straight with that drone.”

Ben’s eyes widened. “Really?”

“It’s not something I would recommend,” Luke said, although he still remembered the elation at mastering the skill.

Artoo began to beep again. “Your Aunt and Rey are back,” Luke translated for Ben. “And apparently they’ve brought someone with them.” He held out his hand and Ben obediently placed the lightsaber in his palm.

“When do I get to make my own?” he asked, clearly not interested in whoever Valara had brought back from market.

Luke smiled indulgently as he clipped the blade to his belt and turned towards the courtyard entrance. “When I think you’re ready.”

Valara appeared within a few moments, Rey in her arms and accompanied by a young blonde woman wearing a yellow flightsuit. He felt the returning presence of his wife and daughter through the Force, as always a balm against the wearying day. Rey must have felt it too, for immediately her head popped up from Valara’s shoulder and she scrambled out of her grasp, toddling over to Luke with beguiling speed.

“Daddy!” Rey cried as Luke swept her into his arms, giggling uncontrollably as he held her up in the air. She kicked her legs in glee as Luke lifted her higher, and then brought her down to kiss her chubby cheek.

“Hello my Rey of light,” Luke said. “Do I get a hug?” In response Rey flung her arms around his neck and held him tightly. “Thank you, my darling,” he managed say even though the vehemence of her embrace was crushing his windpipe. He tapped her arm lightly, and she pulled back with a cheeky grin on her face.

“Did you have a good day, my love?” he asked as Valara approached, giving her a light kiss. She rubbed his arm lightly as she often did as if to orient herself, her cloudy eyes looking in his direction but not quite at him.

“I picked up a few things in town,” was her reply, the corner of her mouth quirking up into a smile.

“I can see,” Luke said, turning his attention to the woman who was still standing at the entrance to the courtyard, nervously shifting from one foot to the other beside some carry bags. He could feel a fierce embarrassment emanating from her.

“Hello.” Luke gave a broad smile to try and put her at ease. “Welcome to the Temple of Eedit.”

“This is Sesha,” Valara beckoned the girl and she scuttled forward with a look of apprehension. “She wants to be a Jedi.”

“It’s such an honour to meet you, Master Skywalker,” Sesha said in a rush which betrayed her nerves.

“Call me Luke,” he told her, shifting Rey to one arm and reaching out the other to shake her hand. “You made it through the first test, then?” Finding a way to get past the shield was easy enough for one with the Force - Luke had been inspired by the many Jedi holocrons he’d discovered in his travels and adapted the technology to suit his purposes.

“She did well,” Valara answered for her, although Luke detected a slight amusement in his wife he couldn’t quite place. “And she’s a pilot.”

“Oh really?” Luke’s interest was piqued.

Sesha nodded, still slightly dumbstruck. “I’ve docked my Y-Wing in Tikaroo.”

“Y-Wing, huh?” Luke shook his head. “Well, we won’t hold that against you.”

Sesha laughed nervously again, and Luke knew the first thing he would have to teach her was how to shield properly. “I feel a bit stupid,” she said, twining her hands together. “I didn’t realise you had a family.”

“Ah.” Luke looked over at his wife and knew by her smile the reason she was so amused. “Well, that’s because I want to keep them all to myself”

“Your daughter is beautiful,” Sesha continued, smiling at Rey who basked in the attention, pressing her hands to chubby cheeks and giggling.

“She’s clever, too,” Luke gushed, unable to stop himself when someone opened the door. “Rey,” he addressed his daughter. “Where is your...hair?”

Rey immediately lifted her hands to the crown of her head where her dark hair was pulled back. She yanked out the tie and lifted her arms in triumph, mussing up her hair spectacularly. .

“Oh, well done!” Sesha clapped her hands together, and Rey mimicked her, giggling again. “Where are your eyes?”

Rey pointed to her face, then her feet, mouth and elbow as she was bid. When Luke asked where her belly was, she lifted up the rim of her shirt with glee and patted her round little toddler tummy before dissolving into fits of laughter. Luke and Sesha followed suit, although he felt a twinge in the back of his mind and realised Valara had not joined in. He knew how difficult she found it sometimes, not being able to truly see her daughter, to recognise her own features and Luke’s in the child they had created together, to see Rey’s infectious smile.

“Where’s Mommy?” Luke asked Rey, who immediately pointed to Valara. “Where’s Ben?” he said next, realising someone else who’d been left out of the conversation. Rey pointed to her cousin, who had been practicing a kata a few feet away and probably trying his best to ignore them. Hearing his name drew his attention however, and he stopped his practice and turned to them.

“My nephew Ben,” Luke introduced him. With the poise and etiquette no doubt learned from his mother, Ben came forward and greeted Sesha. It was perfectly polite, if unenthusiastic.

“Ben, would you be able to show Sesha around?” Luke asked him. “They can assign you quarters, and tomorrow we can start.”

Sesha seemed surprised. “Just like that?” she asked. “I’m in?”

“This place is for anyone who wants to learn,” Luke told her. “I’m still learning myself.”

“Thank you, Master Skywalker.” Sesha shook his hand again enthusiastically. “I hope I’ll see you again soon, Rey.”

“Bye-bye.” Rey waved her small hand. “Bye-bye.”

“Thank you for bringing me, Valara,” Sesha said, embarrassment seeping through again. “I’m sorry I assumed, well…” Clearly unable to finish the sentence, she laughed awkwardly and turned back to Ben, who rolled his eyes.

“Come on,” he said, taking off in the direction of the main Tower.

“When he shows you the landing bay,” Luke said as she left. “Log an empty spot and you can move your Y-Wing there.”

When they were safely gone, Luke shifted Rey up on his hip. “So your mother had her fun today, huh?”

“My life would be pretty dull if that constituted fun,” Valara said dryly.

“It’s not like you to be mean,” Luke said more seriously, but Valara laughed.

“Most people would say it’s exactly like me.”

“And they’d be wrong,” Luke said, turning his gaze to Rey who was counting her fingers. “You can be curt, sarcastic, blunt…”

“I love it when you sweet talk me.”

“But never mean,” Luke pressed on, not about to let her deflect. “Not with a reason.”

Rey squirmed in his arms. “Pika!” she called out, pointing towards the edge of the courtyard. “Pika!”

A small herd of pikhrons had appeared, and Luke let Rey down so she could bound over to them. The matriarch was at the head of the pack, turning her large black eyes to Rey and lowering her head so the child to pat her gently. The animals were long-lived, and Luke was certain it was the same female pikhron who had found him in the glade so many years earlier. They had shared a moment then, an understanding in the Force to know that the other would never hurt them. The old beast had even helped save his hide from Sarco Plank, and Luke always kept the courtyard open for them to forage and drink from the cool waters of the fountain.

Rey absolutely loved the beasts, delighting in stroking their soft fur and receiving slobbery kisses. His daughter was a wonder, a being of pure joy who inspired the same in everyone she met, forming natural affinities with ease.

Valara walked over to where Rey was intent on petting the pikhron matriarch, kneeling down beside them and stroking the animal’s side, reminding Rey to be gentle. But Luke wasn’t going to let her escape the conversation that easily, and he followed.

“Why didn't you just tell that poor girl who you really were?” he pressed, crouching down on the stone.

“And who am I?” Valara asked him. “Luke Skywalker’s wife, Rey’s mother. Is that all?”

“No,” he told her, reaching forward and tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear. “But part, surely.”

“Sometimes I just feel so…” Valara touched the scars at the corner of one eye. “Dependant.”

“So...you’re trying to revert to that woman who used to push everyone away so she didn’t have to risk caring about them?”

Valara smoothed down Rey’s hair gently. “No, I wouldn’t ever want to go back to that.”

It was only then that Luke realised perhaps the issue went deeper - that maybe rather than just having fun with Sesha, Valara had wanted the girl to know her as someone other than his wife. She had few people in her life she was close to - Leia hadn’t visited in months and Laisha had left soon after being knighted on her quest to find her lost sisters. There was Yima in Tikaroo, but the town was hardly stimulating. As much happiness as Luke knew he and Rey gave Valara, perhaps she needed something new.

“You know, the Temple’s running pretty well now,” he said. “Maliak’s doing well taking on some teaching duties and his own apprentice. Maybe we could get away, just the three of us.”

Valara pulled back Rey’s hair and began to plait it idly. “Where?”

“Anywhere,” Luke smiled. “We’ll go flying, find some interesting planet to explore.” He reached out through the Force, touching her mind gently and then enveloping it.

“And what about the Temple?” Valara asked, although he could see she was drawn to the idea. “What about Ben?”

Luke reached for her hand, drawing her to him and into a soft kiss. “They’ll both be here when we get back.”

Valara pressed her face against Luke’s shoulder, and he felt her troubles melt away as he wrapped his arms around her. Rey soon turned her attention back to them, tugging on Luke’s sleeve until he let her into the embrace.

He held them both, wishing it could be forever.

Ben gave Sesha a perfunctory tour of the Temple although she didn’t seem to pay much attention, first gushing about meeting Luke and then embarrassed she hadn’t handled the event better.

“I feel so stupid,” Sesha said, oblivious to Ben’s dark mood. “I never thought Master Skywalker would have a family, but I suppose it makes sense.”

“I dunno.” Ben shrugged. “I think maybe the old Jedi had it right - they didn’t have any distractions.”

Sesha chuckled. “When I was your age, I thought stuff like that was gross as well.”

Ben scowled. No one took him seriously, everyone saw him as just a kid, and even then they preferred baby Rey. Everyone was always going on about how cute she was, how smart she was, how strong in the Force she would be - how with her pedigree she could be the greatest Jedi to ever live. People used to say the same thing about Ben, but he was now painfully aware that in their eyes he had been superseded. That he had inherited his strength from only one side of his family.

They walked down the long corridor to the administrative area. “Go see Madame Sililai in there, she’s a Neimoidian and will get everything sorted for you.”

“Oh, okay.” Sesha beamed at him. “Nice to meet you, Ben.”

“You too.” Ben turned away before she asked him to help her any further. He didn’t like being given tour duty - he was at the Temple to train with his uncle, not show people around. The day had been going so well until Valara and Rey had come back, would it have killed them to stay in town for a while longer? And then everyone had completely forgotten he was even there, it was insulting.

He’d been frustrated by Luke’s pace at training him - Ben knew he had the talent and maturity to handle much more than he was being given. In the old days he’d be a padawan by now, accompanying his master on missions - boys his age had fought in the Clone Wars, but Ben was being held back.

As Ben walked to his quarters, he wondered if his uncle was jealous. He’d been nineteen when he’d started his training, and Ben had already outstripped his talents. Luke had said that it had taken him a while to master the training remote in the courtyard, that he’d even struggled opening the latch where the machine had been kept! Ben had been manipulating objects and switches like that since he was a child.

It made sense, Luke was keeping knowledge and training from him because he was intimidated by Ben’s potential. That he could be better than Luke, better than precious baby Rey. Ben clenched his fists, his mind made up.

The voice in his head was getting louder. Ben was certain it was his grandfather, reaching out to him from beyond the Force to guide him. But he couldn’t have a conversation, couldn’t ask questions, only hear whispers. But there was someone who maybe wouldn’t be as secretive as his uncle.

Ben knew the Empire had been evil, and that those left behind would always be trying to find some way to get back in power. He’d met a bounty hunter out in the forest, where the voice had directed him to go. The man had given him a gift; a communit with one frequency punched in, and a message from Brendol Hux, the man Ben had met several years earlier on Coruscant.

They were trying to recruit him, Ben knew that. But that didn’t mean he couldn’t get from them the information he wanted, especially when Hux’s message had been that their leader knew the ways of the Force. Would he tell Ben all the secrets his uncle was keeping from him? He had to find out, and knew he was smart enough not to be influenced by their lies.

Locking the door of his room, Ben barricaded his mental shields so no one, not even his uncle, could possibly sense what he was doing.

Then he turned the communit on.

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  25. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek, Ben!!! Nooooooo. Oh, dear. I am on the edge of my seat here. What an ending to that chapter. You know I love this story, gal. I love little baby Rey showing off her tummy. hee!! I remember when my little gal used to do that. And I love the live and Temple Luke and Valara and the Jedi have built. This story is amazing, but that's no surprise, given its amazing author!! ^:)^[:D][face_love] I'm sorry I haven't been around in so long. I need a class in grad school on fic. How can I make that a reality?? [face_laugh] Love ya, gal!!!