main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Red Flight - NJO - Author comment 5/4/03

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by RebelMom, Feb 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Several months ago, I was asked by Womprat208 to be one of a team of writers for an AU NJO story arc. How could I say no to such a nice young man. I developed a plot and then spent a lot of time incorporating somebody else's OCs into it. I tell you writing another's OC is hard.
    Edit:
    This story will focus on Mara and two padawans. No complicated plot this time - I needed a break ;)

Timeframe: Two years after Rebirth, this story is part of the alternate NJO universe as begun in Shadows of a Past Long Forgotten by Padawan Lunetta and Of Pilots and Jedi by Melyanna. This story occurs during the events of Into the Unknown by Melyanna, specifically during Jaina's six-week furlough on Nirauan.

Disclaimers: Star Wars belongs to George Lucas. I'm just playing with his creations and not making any money. Jedi Padawan Helaine "Lainey" Trillium is the creation of Padawan Lunetta and Jedi Padawan Nadia Montaigne is the creation of Melyanna. I have the express consent of both authors to use their characters.

2. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Red Flight
    By RebelMom

Chapter 1: The Mission

The hum of lightsabers was the first thing Talon Karrde heard when he entered the gymnasium. Then came the sizzle of two blades meeting, followed by the crackling of continuous sparring. Talon followed the sounds until he reached their source. Mesmerized by the scene before him, Talon watched the duelists with admiration.

Luke Skywalker swung his green blade in a smooth arc. It was met firmly by Mara's turquoise blade. They parried and slashed rapidly, neither able to get under the guard of the other. Mara twisted her blade with Luke's, attempting to disarm him. Luke pushed her back, then swung at her feet. She avoided his blade by somersaulting over his head. Pivoting on her feet, Mara slashed at his back only to meet his blade as he twisted around. Luke increased his assault, relentlessly slashing at Mara, forcing her to back away from him. Luke pressed harder, pushing his advantage when suddenly Mara stopped resisting and he fell forward. When he stumbled, Mara easily disarmed him. Luke kissed her on the cheek, then retrieved his saber.

Talon watched as the two Jedi walked towards him. He nodded to Luke and held out his hand. "Skywalker."

"Good to see you, Talon," Luke said, grasping the older man's hand.

Mara smiled at her former employer. "What brings you to Coruscant, Talon?"

"A bit of business and a bit of pleasure." He paused, looking at their sabers. "I'd say that watching Jedi spar is a pleasure. That was an interesting move you made Mara."

Her green eyes scrutinized him before she responded. "Doing the unexpected allows you to gain an advantage over your opponent." She stared at him again. "You've got something important to tell us."

Stroking his moustache, Karrde smiled. "Yes. I do, but not here."

"Of course," Luke said. "Care to join us in our living quarters? I'm sure the children would love to see you."

Luke handed Talon a cup of caf, then sat down across from him. He looked up to see Mara carrying Ariella, as she exited the nursery. The little girl was bouncing in her mother's arm, and saying "da" repeatedly. Mara put her down, allowing the child to toddle to her objective. Luke leaned over in his chair and held out his arms. "There's my Ari. Come to Daddy."

Ari brightened at his encouraging words. She started off at a trot, her chubby legs moving as fast as she could go. Her balance not totally developed, she fell backwards. Staying seated for a moment, she leaned forward, put her hands on the ground, and pushed up on her legs until she was in a V position. Once she was upright, she continued her clumsy waddle towards Luke. Her goal reached, she was instantly picked up by her father and held at arm's length. Ari squealed with delight. "That's my girl," cooed Luke, then he kissed her forehead. "Look who's come to visit."

Ari was sitting in Luke's lap, facing Karrde. She reached her arms out for him. Setting his caf mug on the table, Talon smiled and said, "Hello, Ari. My, you have gotten big."

Having sat in Daddy's lap long enough, Ari climbed down and toddled to Karrde, holding her arms up. Mara snickered. "Go ahead, Talon. It's okay to pick her up."

A little uneasy, Talon picked the child up. He tried to set her on his lap but she wanted to stand. Blue-green eyes twinkled as she concentrated on his face. His moustache commanded her attention. Ari reached out her fingers, then touched the moustache. Giggling, she pulled her hand back. Talon said, "What's so funny, little one?"

He was answered by another squeal. Ari began to bounce on his lap. Keeping his hands on her so she wouldn't fall, Karrde lifted her up slightly and tried to set her down. "No!" she shouted, then grabbed for his moustache.

Mara moved in, ready to take Ari, but Talon shook his head. "It's okay, Mara."

Ari tugged on the moustache. Talon pretended to bite her fingers and she giggled and laughed. No longer wanting to stand, Ari had fallen into Karrde's chest as she continued to play with his moustache. Talon felt strange playi

3. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Oh I get the first reply. :) How cute. <sighs contentedly> I am looking forward to this. I liked the baby's name too.

4. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    Ahhhhh... absolutly adorable! :D In a way I really can see Talon being a father in a way. *tries to imagine Talon changing diapers* Hmmmmmm... maybe it was just the moustache and the wet shirt!

Great first post! Looking forward to more! :)

5. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Yay, Mommy!

Ari's such a cutie. :)

6. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Hey, this is really good RM. :) You switched pace from saber sparring to family time so smoothly. :)

Can't wait for more.

7. Marie_Jadewalker

Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2000
    Yea! You're posting!

I concur with Wompy about the seamless transition between deuling and family togetherness. :) Both were very well done. I love that you're developing Ari and L/M within Mely's timeline. Now I'm just curious about what Talon needs to tell them. (He kinda seemed grandfatherly to me in that post, but I guess it could be uncle-like as well. It'd be cute to see what the kids call him--if they're old enough to talk!) Also, of course, I'm just glad my Grand Master's posting again!

~Grandawan Marie

8. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Awww I still love that beginning Mum :D Sooo post more! ;)

9. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey there!

Do y'all mind a newcomer in here? I've just recently discovered this wonderful world of fanfiction. There is so much great work in here, it's a bit overwhelming.

RebelMom, wonderful beginning. I'm a sucker for Luke/Mara stories. Especially as a happy family! I'm wondering if you have links, or an easy way of finding all the other stories you mentioned? (the better to understand what y'all are talking about! :) )

Thanks,
    Bali.B

10. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hey there! If you're looking for the stories Mommy mentioned (which have the Skywalkers in them, but aren't primarily about the Skywalkers), click on my user name to the left of this message. In my biography at the bottom of that page, you'll find links to the stories in the Neverending Solo Kids Saga. Luney's Shadows of a Past Long Forgotten is somewhere fairly high on the boards, as it's an active story.

11. JadeSaber

JadeSaber Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2002
    Oooh! Great start! I loved the lightsaber duel between Luke and Mara; it was great! I also liked Talon's initial insecurity about holding Ari... *sighs* Men... ;)

Hey... wait a second... you didn't tell us what he was there for!! Please post more soon! :)

Oh, BTW, I read your Mara/Padme story. (the wedding night/mirror one) I found it in the locked threads list in the Writers Resource... it was beautiful. *sigh*

Hi Bali.B! Welcome! The more the merrier! I highly recommend that you read Mel and Luney's stories, they are wonderful, I think that you will enjoy them; I know I have! ;)

12. Marie_Jadewalker

Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2000
    Er, I'll be nice and promote the fics of my Mush Master and Auntie Master. ;)

Shadows of a Past Long Forgotten Padawan Lunetta's story (undefinable!), currently active.

Of Pilots and Jedi The first of Melyanna's "Never ending Solo kid Saga" ;) Centers on Jaina and Jagged Fel. Completed.

Change of Heart The second in Mely's saga, centering on Jacen and O.C. Nadia. Completed.

In the Wake of Glory Mely's rewrite of Change of Heart, currently active.

Clouded Memories Melyanna's story centering on Anakin and various O.C. residents of Naboo. Completed.

Into the Unknown Mely's sequel to Of Pilots and Jedi, also about Jaina and Jagged, but pulling in elements from the other stories as well. Currently active.

That should keep you busy for a while. ;) There are also a couple of other spin offs from the line currently in progress or in planning, but you can ask about them later. :)

~Marie

13. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Undefineable, Mushawan? Undefineable... I could explain it in a page or two ;) Basically (Very basically.. ;) it's Helaine "Lainey" Trillium's back story ;)

14. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Holy Cats!

Well, I guess I know what I'll be doing in my spare time for quite awhile! :)

Thanks for all the links and plugs. Can't wait to start reading - too bad you can't curl up in a big comfy chair with your monitor...

Bali.B

15. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    maramaramaramara(breath)marmmaramaramaramaramaramaramaramaramara!

I love my mara! all these fics popping up are really making me happy...so thanks for starting this one, mommy! Ever since ive heard about it ive been excited!

YAAAAAAAYY! And its good and Karrde shows up...making me happy...

16. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Mariah: I enjoyed writing the children's scenes in this story so far. I'm glad you like it.
    Jaded Skywalker: After the fatherly role Talon had in Union, I pictured him as the favorite Uncle type. Of course, no one else knows about it. ;)
    Mely : thanks. Of course Ari's cute. :)
    Wompy: thanks. Luke and Mara have to work family time in between saving the galaxy.
    Marie Jadewalker: I found that it was a lot of work to incorporate the characters and timeline. I'm much more familiar with the EU. Using all these new creations and situations has been challenging. (I'm glad I have a basic plot.)
    Luney: Always with you it's soon. I'm glad you like it. :)
    TheBalinakaBaroness: Glad to have you in our happy forum. don't let it overwhelm you. You'll be crazy like the rest of us in no time flat.
    JadeSaber: Yah, I couldn't have Talon take to the baby too easily - needed some reality. ;)
    Mirror Manifest was recommended in the reading list? I didn't know that. Glad you like it. That was fun to write.
    JadedofMara: I'm so glad you are happy. I can tell you that Mara will be seeing a lot of action in this story (and I'm not talking about mush, though I'll have some of that too.)

Well, since Marie has given you all the links to the story arc (I think there is one more.), I thought maybe I'd give links to all my stories. *shameless self promotion*
    Joy to Sorrow, my first ever fanfic is currently in the TFN Fanfic Archive.
    Zenda'la was my first L/M story.
    Mirror Manifest My first major mush piece. It's short, too.
    The Bridal Shower a silly little piece I wrote for fun.
    Shackled Past My novel
    and lastly Juxtapose a quad of first person vignettes.

*RM contemplates when to post next section*

17. Aftermath

Aftermath Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    Just another wandering newbie dropping by to say good job. I really liked the description of the saberfight and the family bonding. So what business is Uncle Talon up to today?

18. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    Thanks for all of the links!!! I start Radiation treatments in a few days (5 days a week for 7 weeks.) Besides being a big pain in the ###, it's the usual 'hurry up and wait'. Now I'll have more fanfic to read while waiting. RM, I brought "Forget the Presents...." to the pre-op. It was an incredible, terrific distraction from my reality.

19. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Aftermath: Welcome to the boards! Uncle Talon will be explaining his business next.
    Admiral Lelila: I'm glad to offer a distraction. My mom is about 3/4s of the way through her radiation treatments. She's really tired of doctors at the moment.

So here's some more distraction!
    "I thought you might be interested in this information," Talon Karrde began. "I have it from a reliable source that several artifacts from the Old Republic Era have arrived on Cilpar. An antiquities dealer I know has obtained them and is offering them for sale."

Luke leaned forward, his elbows on the table. "These artifacts are authentic?"

Talon pulled a datapad from his coat pocket. "I haven't inspected the items personally, but I have a copy of the manifest. The holos are of exceptional quality and show the artifacts in exquisite detail."

Mara glanced at the virtual catalogue. To her untrained eye, the items appeared genuine, but looks can be deceiving. Though she had seen Palpatine's Jedi museum and was somewhat qualified to determine authenticity, Mara felt that a second, expert opinion would be necessary. She handed the datapad to Luke, who spent more time observing the holos. His excitement was noticeable through the Force. The chance to obtain more Jedi artifacts was very appealing to him, especially the holocron, if indeed it was one. Mara looked to Talon. "Do you have contact information?"

"Of course," Talon replied. "It's after the manifest."

"What can you tell us about the dealer?" Luke asked.

Relaxing back into his chair, Karrde took a drink of his stimcaf. "Christie Mavron has been dealing with antiques since before the war with the Empire. She ran a successful shop on Coruscant for several years until the war escalated. Unfortunately, her connections with certain elements drew too much attention and she found it necessary to relocate. She arrived on Cilpar shortly after Rogue Squadron liberated it following the Battle of Endor. Her business there is prosperous and you'll find her extremely knowledgeable."

Leaning forward, Mara picked up the datapad again. "We'll need more information about Cilpar. Maybe copies of Rogue Squadron's records."

Luke added, "I'll contact Jaina."

Talon shook his head. "Jaina won't be able to help you. She's on her way to Nirauan."

Both Luke and Mara stared at Karrde. Luke found his words first. "How did you?Never mind. What's she doing on Nirauan?"

"She's the official New Republic Representative. Antilles sent her off with his nephew this morning," Karrde replied.

Mara's mouth fell open. "Why that sneaky?"

"Once a Rogue, always a Rogue," Luke added with laughter. "Wedge knows what he's doing."

Grinning and looking directly at her husband, Mara said, "I wonder if Jag knows what Wedge is doing."

Luke shrugged, then turned his attention back to Karrde. "Thanks for the information, Talon. Can we keep this?" He held up the datapad.

Standing up, Talon nodded. "Certainly. I'll be sure to..."

"Talon!" Ben Skywalker squealed as he ran into the room and wrapped his arms around Karrde's leg.

Reaching his hand down to rub Ben's head, Karrde smiled. "Well, hello Ben. Where have you been?"

Ben held up a toy Wookiee figurine and said, "Climbing trees."

"Sounds like fun." He picked up the toddler and gave him a hug. "I've got a present for you."

Dropping his Wookiee onto the floor, Ben began to search Talon's pockets. The smile on his face grew when his hand found a small rubber ball. "Ball!" he exclaimed, squirming to get out of Talon's arms.

Once on the ground, Ben ran to his father to show him the ball. "Look Daddy."

Luke came down to his son's level and looked at the ball. "That's a great ball, Ben. Now, what do you say?"

Screwing up his face in concentration, Ben looked at his father, then his mother. He turned around and looked at Talon. "Can I have another one?"

The main corridor of the Jedi Headquarters was oddly quiet. Ben was riding on his father's back, Ari was sleeping in her mother's arms. The

20. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Ben's quite the handfull...

21. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Screwing up his face in concentration, Ben looked at his father, then his mother. He turned around and looked at Talon. "Can I have another one?"

LOL! That was classic! :D Good post.

22. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Brings back memories. Glad I'm done with that part of raising kids. :) How come Luke didn't jump at the chance to go see for himself? I know this is going to be a Mara fic, but I was just thinking that he would still make noises about wanting to go too.

23. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    I hope your Mom's O.K. Thanks for the post. I'm waiting to read it during the week.

24. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Sticks: Yes, Ben is a handful. He is a Skywalker after all.
    Womprat: Thanks. I enjoy writing children.
    MariahJade: *RM smacks head* I knew I forgot something.*groan* I thought I had put something in there. I'll address it later until then let's just say that Luke had the last mission so it's Mara's turn. :)
    Admiral Lelila: Mom's holding up pretty well considering.

I'll put up the end of chapter 1 tomorrow. Plus I'll start putting dates in the title line to make it easier on you all.

25. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    how could I have missed this story? Ben is soo cute.....reminds me of my two year old niece.....and he has a little sister......is that who is going to be known about in Ben's first birthday fanfic?

In one my stories, Talon is Grandpa to Mara and Luke's kids.....and spoils them all the time. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.