main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Red Letter Media and other Prequel Reviews

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    The same Oscars that gave Annie Hall the Oscar for Best Picture over the original Star Wars, right? That didn't even nominate ESB for Best Picture (or any of the subsequent Star Wars films for that matter).

How are the Oscars in any sense relevant to forming your opinion?

In my experience, the opinions I respect most are those which are well-articulated, honest, and wholly owned by those who express them. I don't much see the point in liking something simply because I am told to.

2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    He told Luke Vader killed his father to protect him from the truth. wouldve been quite a burden at the time if Obiwan told him everthing from the start.We're not talking beyond ANH here either.

3. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    So, you are suggesting that the entire description of Anakin Skywalker was a lie. All of it. That's an interesting take. That makes the entire scene pointless.

TOSCHESTATION and Jcuk like this.
  4. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Have you seen Gladiator? Well I saw it at the cinema when it came out PAL before it won its awards so what are you going on about?????

5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    No, but clearly it was not something like some people thought about.

Is Anakin a great pilot in PT? Yes, is he a cunning warrior? Yes, after he was knighted and experienced the war, we can see it in EP III.

Their friendship? Why should we look at Obi Wan's lines which has lies, or should we look at Obi Wan and Vader's reaction against each other in OT?
    Why would that protect Luke? It would only let him hate Vader, his own father for wrong reason, and could deliver a huge blow to his mind once he knew the truth. Both could lead him to the Dark Side.

"Your father was killed in the Clone Wars" is a much better one if he wanted to protect Luke.

Well we have to view the OT as a whole, not look at one film.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Quite frankly, if you have to twist the dialogue to the point where you think Obi wan is lying about hi friendship with Anakin, that's a problem. That is a person trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole.

He also talks about how Luke's uncle didn't agree with Anakin going off to follow Obi Wan into adventure, and in the PT the characters don't even know each other at all. Not until Anakin comes looking for his mother. None if it matches up. The PT does not fit well with the OT at all.

V-2 likes this.
  7. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    if I'm not mistaken Slowpoking is saying:

Obi-Wan: well lets see your dad..well he was obsessed with your mother, had plenty of tantrums, killed everyone he stood for, including kids, what else, oh, nevver listened to anything I said, but aside from that he was..ok

wouldn't have gone down too well

Valairy Scot likes this.
  8. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Yes, I have (although it's been a number of years) and I very much enjoyed it, especially Joaquin Phoenix's character. That said, if I had to choose between Gladiator and the PT, I would choose the PT as I enjoy those films more and find them to be better. That's solely my opinion, of course, and you may disagree.

All I'm saying is that I don't decide what I like or dislike based on popular or critical consensus or awards such as the Oscars. I don't consider Schindler's List and Pan's Labyrinth to be great movies because they've won Oscars. I consider them great movies because I've seen them and found them to be stunning pieces of cinema.

Andy Wylde and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  9. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Then you agree with Slowpoking, Obi Wan is lying about his friendship. The whole conversation is a lie according to you.

V-2 likes this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, Anakin knew about Owen in EP II.

Sure, why wouldn't he think this way after Anakin became Vader?

11. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I think your talking bile and you think I'm talking bile. Let's agree on that a move on

12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    They were strangers in that movie, and that character never had any say on whether or not Anakin left home to become a Jedi. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say people making exuses for the films. There is no logical way to tie in what Obi-Wan says about Luke's uncle with what we see in the PT. None. He didn't even know Anakin until he came looking for his mother.

They had no relationship of any kind. None.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Where did OT say they know each other well, so it's clearly your understanding rather than the fact.

Owen thought Vader should've never become the Jedi, what's wrong with it?

14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Ridiculous, without a relationship the character of the uncle would have no reason to care whether or not the character of Anakin is following Obi Wan off into adventure. It doesn't require my understanding. It only requires the most basic of logic.

Again, this is just excuse making for the movies.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    We didn't know about it in the movies, but the OT novel did mention their love.

Remember Yoda's words?

Obi Wan did say it.

Well he didn't stop Tarkin when millions of kids were about to be killed, so yeah.

Yeah that fit him well.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    then i'm totally lost :p

carry on

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Why wouldn't he since he was taking care of Anakin's son? Why couldn't people care about others even if they aren't that much related?

My point is, OT did give quite a few hints of Anakin, and most importantly, Anakin was not dead in OT, he played a very big role in OT. Why should we judge him base on Obi Wan's a few lines?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    He wasn't taking care of Luke at the time, Luke wasn't even born

This statement from ANH makes it clear that not only did Uncle Owen have a relationship with Anakin, but disapproved of his leaving home and getting involved with galactic affairs. That is clearly very different from what we see in the PT. The PT shows us two strangers, one a Jedi apprentice already off getting involved in the galaxy returning to the planet to find his mother. They are not compatible. They are two different stories. The PT does not align with the OT. Lucas botched it.

You can't have an opinion about someone leaving the planet and getting involved that you have never met. Anakin left Tattooine as a young boy.

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well he did take care of Luke when Obi Wan told Luke that.

I quoted this line before, it never said he had any close relationship with Anakin, or he was there when Anakin became a Jedi.
    Owen disagree with Anakin's choice, thought he should have stayed here so he would not have become Vader, what's wrong with it?

20. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    If he did not know Anakin, he would not have an opinion about one stranger out of a galaxy of trillions of strangers going off and doing anything.

Look at that quote, it's past tense. It's describing not only how his uncle feels today, but how he felt when it first happened. It's clear, ANH is describing two men who had a relationship. Probably even brothers to be honest.

21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He knew, just didn't have very close relationship, and he was taking care of Anakin's son. Why couldn't he care of it? And it was quite clear he was worrying Luke would go to the same path as Anakin.

Yes, before Obi Wan told Luke about it, that's why it's past tense.

22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Come on, that's why it's past tense? You're just messing with me now, aren't you? He couldn't have had an opinion at the time that Anakin left because they didn't know each other. And that is exactly what ANH is telling us, that not only did they know each other but that Owen did not approve AT THE TIME.

You are just denying the obvious at this point. That is what it takes to make it fit. A willful participant such as yourself.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, nowhere said he was there when Anakin went with Obi Wan. It's only your theory, don't use it as the fact of OT like many people did.

Obi Wan firstly mentioned it's what Owen told to Luke, so this has something to do with Luke. So clearly, Owen thought this way because Anakin became Vader and he didn't want Luke to go to the same path as his father.

Oh I forgot to mention, Owen lived with Shmi for a while, so of course he would have heard a lot of Anakin from his stepmother.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

Theory? It's not a theory. It's what he said. He did not agree with Anakin's decision to leave and get involved. He did not share Anakin's ideals. That is what Obi Wan said. He didn't say it had anything to do with Anakin's final fate. He said he did not agree with Anakin's decision to leave because they had different ideals. Don't give me this theory talk. It's not my theory. It's the story as written in ANH.

If anyone is changing that story, it's you.

And nowhere in the movie is Obi-Wan living with Shmi mentioned. I'm assuming that is some EU thing,which is neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    As of 1980 Anakin was an angry person and someone who eventually fell to the dark side, not the person you imagined who was pure, noble, distinct from Vader and fully eliminated by the TESB retcon. Get it now?

Child Anakin isn't supposed to be "accomplished", he's just supposed to be "great". That's covered by him being seemingly the only human who can pull off the podracing, not to mention also being the Boonta winner. Obi-Wan's ANH dialogue says nothing of Anakin's piloting skills at the time when Obi-Wan met him. By the time of the Clone Wars he clearly is an experienced pilot of spacecraft. In fact none of Obi-Wan's comments in ANH are inapplicable to Clone Wars Anakin or phrased so that they could only apply to child Anakin.

Owen, not Obi-Wan.

It is only your own assumption that his alleged opinion was formed at the time Anakin left. The film said no such thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.