main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Red Letter Media and other Prequel Reviews

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperBrain

SuperBrain Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2013
    none of those are films, neither is death note(madea is crap and barely qualifies as film).

for those saying it's a tragedy and therefore something entirely different; the tragedy is not different than the hero's journey. the name "the hero's journey" may be misleading, but it is entirely possible to have a tragic ending within that. it is just very hard to execute. a tragic ending still requires all that a happy ending does, only in opposite. technically they are not different. the problem is, as i have stated, that when the protagonist is not likable, and in combination with a downer ending, that never works. there are very few movies that adopts those two criteria successfully.

V-2 likes this.
  2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Anakin grew up with his mother til he was 10 or whatever. Then he got freed and his mother actively encouraged him to go and become a Jedi FACT. 10 years (or whatever) after that Anakin turns up looking for his mother FACT. Meets the Lars, Buries her at the homestead and then he's gone. FACT. Years after that Obi wan turns up, hands over the kid and then he's gone. Couple holding the kid turn to look at the twin suns. Credits roll.FACT. And I'm supposed to suspend my disbelief that Owen formed a genuine reason to be upset at Anakin going off to be a Jedi through THEM facts? where was the conversation with Anakin where he tells him he's upset at what he's doing? Anakin would've just said, 'what? Who the **** are you to tell me anything'. No, according to you Owen grew bitter over the years because he got lumbered with Anakins kid. He didnt grimace at the kid at the end of ROTS? And if he didnt want to have the burden, why didnt he just tell Obi wan 'thanks, but no thanks' He wasn't blood related to Luke? He's just the grandchild of a woman his dad married who died years ago.

V-2 likes this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    If he did so, he would not get himself killed later or become Vader, and that's why he didn't want Luke to listen to Obi Wan, is it hard to understand?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    What I think you are saying is that it is your opinion that Owen Lars thought Anakin should have left the Jedi order and moved to Tatooine. Is that an accurate assessment of your ( Slowpokeking's ) interpretation of the meaning of Owen's words?

V-2 likes this.
  5. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah that's right, you know I'm right and rather than answer me you continue with your pathetic argument.

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Enough to give his opinion, actually you don't even have to watch PT to understand why Owen formed that thought and why.

Obi Wan said Luke's father was dead in EP IV, and it turns out Anakin is Vader in EP V and EP VI, so it's easy to figure out why Owen had such opinion, he thought if Anakin had stayed he would not die/become Vader, and he didn't want Luke to go to the same path. The PT did nothing to contradict it.

Why does Owen have to say anything to Vader?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The podracer was already sold and the money was in their hands. Anakin is free so he can do whatever he wants with it. Watch the movie again if you're having trouble remembering things. But again you are the one making things up to fit your point. No where in the movie does it show that Anakin would be homeless if he decided to stay on Tatooine. It is not shown in the movie and it is not a fact. You made that up. Why would Shmi even give him the choice to stay if she thought for a second that Watto (whom she would obviously know quite well) would throw her son out of their house. That is something you made up to fit your point that Anakin would be homeless. If it is not shown in the movie than it doesn't matter in this discussion as you have said.

No you are misunderstanding my point. In Episode I Anakin leaves home (Tatooine) to become a Jedi and this leads him to being involved in a war that Owen thought was a "damned fool idealistic crusade" as dialogue in ANH tells us. So after everything went to hell with Anakin getting himself killed or worse and Owen being left to watch after his son it is not a leap in logic at all for Owen to think that Anakin would have been better off staying on Tatooine instead of going off and becoming a Jedi in the first place. Owen's thoughts aren't stated directly in the PT but again look at him in Episode III he won't even turn to look at Obi-Wan and this sets up the dialogue in ANH perfectly. You need both the PT and the OT to get the full picture of Owen's thoughts about Anakin but it is not contradicted.

Meaning Owen lied about Anakin's involvement in the war because he didn't want Luke to follow the same path. This is not contradicted by the PT one bit because obviously Anakin did fight in the Clone Wars and we see in Episode III how upset Owen is with Obi-Wan. The dialogue in ANH then tells us why he was upset.

So what does the PT show us are Anakin's ideals and what does it show us about Owen's ideals? Anakin wants to leave the planet and help people, wants to become a Jedi and wants to protect the Republic while Owen seems to be the kind that wants a simpler life and he seems perfectly settled on his backwater planet. Anakin is adventurous and Owen is simple and hard working. Their ideals are different so that part of the line holds up and is not contradicted by the PT.

Why would Owen think Anakin was better off staying home (Tatooine) instead of going off to become a Jedi. Maybe because he got himself involved in a useless war (or a "damned fool idealistic crusade" as Owen put it) and got himself killed or became Darth Vader. Maybe because he was left with Anakin's child to raise. So Owen is quite reasonable to think that Anakin would have been better off staying with his mother (which the movie shows was an option) instead of going off with the Jedi. Again Owen is clearly upset with Obi-Wan in ROTS and in ANH we learn why. This part of the line holds up with what we are presented with in the films.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    So by your logic, Owen thought Anakin should have stayed on Tatooine as nobody rather than join the Jedi Order to fight for justice and peace, become a hero? Does it make more sense than the early one? But didn't you say it's stupid yourself?

What I've said is pretty much the most logical explanation base on OT's plot, and PT didn't do anything to contradict it.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I can't even argue anymore I don't even know what your talking about.And you don't either because your answers have become more and more incoherent. Your grammars terrible. Are you drunk?

V-2 likes this.
  10. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Stay with me, Slowpokeking I'm asking you a question about your opinion. Do you ( Slowpokeking ) think that Owen Lars thought Anakin should have left the Jedi order and moved to Tatooine?

V-2 and Jcuk like this.
  11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Wow, now you are out of words? I'm using the OT's fact to explain Owen's opinion, I don't know why is it so hard to understand for a so called OT fan.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, Obi Wan even said Owen viewed it as some "damn fool idealistic crusade".

Andy Wylde and V-2 like this.
  13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    What's so special about movies? And they do have some movie adaptations, are they all crap?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Guys, chill. Personal attacks are NOT allowed. Only warning.

15. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Stay with me now. Slowpokeking. Do you (Slowpokeking ) think that Owen Lars thinks that Anakin's home is the planet Tatooine?

V-2 likes this.
  16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It was never mentioned in the quote, it only mentioned "HERE", it could be or not be.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Just an FYI, but Death Note does, actually, have a film adaptation with a villain protagonist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Note_(film)

Quite a number of people actually like it more than the manga and anime too.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Do you ( Slowpokeking ) think that Owen thought of Tatooine as Anakin's home?

V-2 likes this.
  19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    :confused:

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    What home does he have then? His mother is a slave. His mother is telling him to leave. You tell me what home he has

21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It was never told in OT, so it's not clear.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Fair enough. In the OT when Obi-Wan used the term "...should have stayed here..." to what geographic location do you (Slowpokeking )think he was referring?

V-2 likes this.
  23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Tatooine?

Andy Wylde and V-2 like this.
  24. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Like he was unhappy at being forced into looking after a kid that he was of no relation to.

25. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Is that the geographic location you think he was referring to? I ask because you seem unsure.

V-2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.