main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Red pixal problem

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Purserfilm, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purserfilm

Purserfilm Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2007
    Hi!

This may not be the right place to post this, but here goes anyway.

I've recenatly purchesed Adobe Premiere and was editing a short couple clips to just get famialere with the buttons and such, and I tried to import some footage from my Hardrive camera. At first the footage wouldn't import; premiere said it was'nt a format it supported. I checked the manual for both Premiere, and the camera. And the cam manual said that the video fromat was MPEG-2. The file extention for the vid files were .MOD actually i've never heard of these extentions before. Normaly i edit the files inside of Sony Vegas. (Not the full version of vegas mind you, the Movie Studio + DVD Version) And they work fine. Anyway, Premiere dose support MPEG-2 (From what I could tell from the manual) And gave some examples of the .exts. So i just changed the .extention on the file to MPEG, and it worked fine. So i imported the footage. But inside the footage in premiere, red pixal blotches keeps popping up over the course of 3-4 frames, at various times. I don't know whats going on. I imported the SAME footage, with the same, .ext into Vegas, and it works fine. I just dont understand it. Was it maybe that i changed the .ext? Is that the problem? I just dont no why it works in Vegas, and then inside Premiere it gets red blotches. If anyone could help me, I would REALLY appreciate it! Thanks!

2. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Obviously you want Premiere to work properly, but can you not use Vegas as it does what you want?

Alternatively can you import/ re-record the footage straight into Premiere in a different format?

3. Purserfilm

Oct 8, 2007
    I can use Vegas, I just wanted to figure out why that happens as I was going to switch over from Vegas to Premiere because for me having the lower version of Vegas, Premiere is the better editor for me. And I'll have to see about converting formats. The Harddirve camera only records in that one format . . . I guess if maybe I had a video converter or somthing like that I might be able to convert the video . . . I guess I might just render the movie in another format from Vegas and then import the footage into Premiere. But wouldn't that loose the video quality a bit?

4. Goldleader23

Goldleader23 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2003
    My harddrive camera came with its own editing software. To use it in premiere, I had to export it from the camera's software (as a DV-AVI). Quality loss wasn't really that noticeable. Try exporting in different formats till you get one that looks good (and one that works in Premiere). Hope that helps. :)

5. Cramer

Cramer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    That is a common problem with HDD camcorders. Use watever software you need to use in order to change the format of the files into workable files. With some files it is a simple import/export feature with the given software it was packaged with. For some you will be using a more complicated approach.

While the camera manual says that it records in an MPEG-2 format, it does. But the filing system for the camera is a special system and not a conventional Operating System we are used to. This is why you get the file extensions .MOD or what-have-you.

6. YodaSmeagol

YodaSmeagol Jedi Master star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    Yeah, my HDD camera came with a program (CyberDirector) that you can use to import and then convert the file. Or you can use Super, which should also suffice. I've tried a little bit with changing the file extension to something else. Sometimes it works, but then later it doesn't. It's never been a stable method for me.

7. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2006
    If you convert the file to an intermediate codec as is being suggested, use a lossless codec such as Lagarith (google it, its free). It should be picked up by all windows based encoders. This way you will maintain the quality of the footage without the huge file sizes of uncompressed avi. SUPER is an exception to this as it comes with all the codecs it will use. Huffyuv is a lossless option if you use SUPER.

8. Purserfilm

Oct 8, 2007
    Thanks a whole lot guys! I'll try it and let you all know!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.