main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass Red Sox questions

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by DarthIshyZ, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    1. What's the basis of the enmity between the Sox and the Yankees? Is it just the same general hatred that most teams have sort of like everyone except Dallas Cowboys fans hate the Cowboys? Or is there something else there?

2. I seem to remember an incident a few years back where a possible home run was screwed up by a fan of the opposing team by dropping the ball to the field making the hit an automatic second base play. Was that during a Red Sox game? What's the rule there?

Thanks, guys!

2. DeathProof

DeathProof Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2007
    My answer would be the city differences. This is something I can relate to being from Oakland, Ca and San Francisco being our NY.

New York has a king attitude and Boston has the small person complex. Boston is and has always tried to set itself apart from other main cities in the country and New York being so close and it's stature, over time, developed tension.

As for the Red Sox, until 2004, the Sox have been pretty much looking up at the New York Yankees for decades. That kind of time being someone else?s chew toy has had its effect on the fans and general attitude from Bostonians to New Yorkers.

Looking up at the same team winning the division year in and year out is VERY frustrating and add in the tension between the two city's cultural and social differences and there you have it. You could even trace it back to 1920 when the Red Sox sold Babe Ruth to the hated Yankees.

Yankees Suck.

Heck, I'm from Oakland and I DESPISE all things Yankees. They're just 'that' team. Just so happens Boston is a short trip away.

Hope that helps

3. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    Not really a Sox question but, my room mate and I have been going back and forth on this for a few days now and he's asked me to throw it out to the people I know... Here goes:

I am just kind of taking a general poll about something cause its been bugging me lately.

Which are you more interested in and why.

Barry Bonds chase of the all time HR record
    or Craig Biggio's quest for 3,000 hits?

He can't access this site from work and we don't have the internet at home so, I will send his responses when you guys post them! Thanks...

-K.

4. JEDIKNIGHTJOE_D

JEDIKNIGHTJOE_D Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm definitely more interested in Craig Biggio's quest for 3,000 hits. Biggio is an undersized player, who has left blood and skin on the field, which makes him 1000 times the ball player Barry Bonds has turned into (I say turned into since he was an honest and great player for the Pirates).

5. Mohawk-Elvis

Mohawk-Elvis Jedi Master star 1

Jan 28, 2007
    Bonds is an arrogant snob.

Bonds wouldn't know modesty or dignity if it ran up, jumped on his face and began to wiggle.

He is disliked throughout the league.

I think there are only a few people that like Bonds...his immediate family (maybe)... and his steroids dealer.

6. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    D_IshyZ, Ol' DP pretty much summed it up for you. The Sox/Yankees feud goes all the way back to the early 1900's. The Red Sox were the first 'Dynasty' in baseball. They won 5 of the first 17 World Series. Then they sold Babe Ruth and a handful of their other great players to the Yankees. The Sox went into the tank and the Yankees of the 1920s & 30's were some of the best teams ever assembled.

The rivalry heated up again over the years. In the 40's & 50's it was Williams vs Dimaggio. In the 70's the Red Sox had some of the best teams in their history only to lose to the Yankees in new and painful ways (see 1978). It cooled off in the 80's & early 90's because neither team was that good. It then picked up again in the late 90's with Pedro vs Clemens and Nomar vs Jeter. The past 8 years or so have been off-the-wall insane.

I haven't been to a Sox/Yanks game in years. All that changes on June 1st though. :D Can't wait.

7. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    But does anyone remember the incident I referred to? I could swear it was a Sox / Yankees game.

8. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I can't say I remember that incident, so it may not have even been a Sox/Yankees incident. If it was, we might still be talking about it.

9. DeathProof

DeathProof Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2007
    I remember that play but it was more of a odd ball happening than really adding to the hatred bewtween the two clubs.

Don Zimmer being pushed to the ground by Pedro and I think it was Jason Varitek(sp) that got it in on with Alex Rodriguez are the more recent issues with the teams.

10. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Sounds like you might be referring to the HR Mark Bellhorn hit for the Red Sox in game 6 of the 2004 ALSC against the Yankees. He hit a line drive HR that barely cleared the wall, hit someone in the hands and bounced back onto the field. At first the umps called it a ground rule double. After the umps got together and changed the call to a HR.

Is that it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.