main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Red Tails' Theatrical Trailer

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Ody_Mandrell, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Ody_Mandrell

Ody_Mandrell Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 28, 2003
  2. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    Wow! Looks pretty good.

3. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    This was absolutely epic. I watched it 5 times in a row. I'm sniffing a best picture nomination....

4. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Looks awesome. Though I just can't shake the "Pearl Harbour" vibe I'm getting from this. PLEASE NOT be another Pearl Harbour!

5. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I sense not enough T&A and too much story and character development to be Pearl Harbor.

6. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    It's so trippy to watch a trailer with the Lucasfilm logo that ISN'T Indy 4 or a prequel film.

Movie looks awesome, can't wait to see it!

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That actually looks pretty good. I'm glad things are moving along on this.

We need one of our talented banner makers to put a banner together for it now that we have some footage! :)

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Looks exciting.

9. Pendulous_Dewlap

Pendulous_Dewlap Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2011
    Looks to me like more CGI garbage from Lucasfilm. The late January release date suggests that the film is going to be monumentally bad.

10. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Ever hear of a little holiday called Martin Luther King day?

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Also it won't get buried in the Thanksgiving/Christmas releases. It could be a good thing.

12. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Another off-hand dismissal from Doctor Negativo. Yes, CGI is a special effects technology used by filmmakers to realize photo-realistic images they could not otherwise achieve. Would you like the trailer better if it was model planes matted in with black outlines over rear-projection clouds which bleed through the semi-transparent model plane overlays? o_O

Well, wouldja????

I think the dogfighting looks amazing. The drama, as Havac said in Amphitheatre, looks a bit conventional and the assemblage of the trailer is a bit clunky, but overall the film looks very exciting.

13. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I'm working on it.

14. Pendulous_Dewlap

Pendulous_Dewlap Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2011
    Hey, it's me. (Wait...did I just quote ROTJ? *shudders*)

I want something that looks like it was touched by human hands. CGI is often too disconnected and sterile to inspire audience sympathy; people want to watch a film - full-blooded and real, populated by three-dimensional characters who evoke genuine human emotions, supported by a strong narrative - not a special effects reel.

15. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    Yeah, anyway: this is going to be very interesting to watch. I think we can be sure that it will run 120 minutes & follow a pretty standard three act story structure. However, GL has been working on this since before he made THX11!! I've been reading old archived Newsgroup & Usenet discussions from the 1980's & early 1990's & GL was working on this even back then, as far back as 1982!! He started production on this version in 2005, by personally interviewing (and filming) all of the surviving pilots & military personnel involved. He's spent almost 4 years physically working on this version of the film. I, for one, am stoked. The trailer suggests some of the flatness and stiffness that has crept into Lucas's work starting with TPM, but hey, that's life. Don't pay for a ticket if you can't stand his films. The trailer brought to mind the best episodes of Young Indiana Jones, which is my favorite Lucasfilm project. Honestly, this is the WW2 movie I expected from Spike Lee; instead, he gave us an indulgent and aimless mess (Miracle At St. Anna) but this looks like a good story.

We've all been begging for a trailer & here it is. In a few short months we'll be able to sit down in a warm movie theater and watch an epic George Lucas production, his first since 2008, and his first non-fantasy film since 1994's Radio Land Murders.

Some period war propaganda, narrated by Pres. Reagan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVDbBaC2254

Of note: although there is no boot camp sequence in the film, Lucas put the actors through the training program shown in this film, for several weeks, without any contact with modern life, everything was accurate to period!

PS: I find it interesting (if depressing) to read the comments on Youtube: we still have plenty of old school white racists, anti-Semites and loyal Nazis among us. It's unreal, this being 2011 and all, but these nuts are still with us! The subject of this film is still, sadly, topical and contemporary. And yes, we need to keep "killing" these monsters in our stories as long as they exist in the real world. Maybe one day the lesson will sink in: they are wrong & they always lose...

16. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Maybe one day the lesson will sink in: they are wrong & they always lose...
    Definitely. Don't give in to hate, that always leads to the dark side.

By the way, I think Anthony Hemingway will become a superstar director as a result of his work on Red Tails.

17. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sep 22, 2010
    I like the acting more every time I watch the trailer (which I've seen about 10 times now!).

I think GL did the right thing: hire a good director for the dramatic scenes & handle the battle sequences himself.

18. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Personally, I feel he should've just divided it between visuals & action for himself, and performances & drama for Hemingway. But for all we know, that's what the division might've been anyway.

19. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Looks like a movie I'll spend money to go see in theaters.

About the excessive CGI: All the things in the trailer theoretically happened in the real battles that are portrayed in the film. Craft did explode, pactual men were shredded to pieces by shrapnel, lots of explosions occurred. Maybe the amount of CGI goes a bit over the top, but much of that fits the actual history. Aerial battles weren't cakewalks.

Looking forward to how they pull off all the action sequences and keep it in line with good character development. I'm a geek for action stuff, but I hope that they can keep the movie interesting without having it be an endless string of fighting or a bunch of talking with no action.

20. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Saw it yesterday. It looks pretty damned good IMHO. Better than I thought it would turn out considering all the issues I heard the production endured.

21. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    You saw the trailer or the whole movie?

22. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sep 22, 2010
    I'm pretty sure he means the trailer.

23. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    And just what the heck does that have to do with CG? There were plenty of movies from the '80's that fit your description, but somehow they're above criticism because they're from the optical age.

24. FRAGGLE_ROCKER

FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2010
    Dumb comments abound on starwars.com too, but mostly complaints about the movie being advertised on the Star Wars site. Those are mostly people who haven't seen anything else by Lucasfilm other than SW and Indy.

25. shanerjedi

Mar 17, 2010
    To be fair though there hasn't been anything near the high profile from Lucasfilm as SW and Indy except for Willow when it was released.