main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Redemption for Palpatine...?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Trajjin, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Trajjin

Darth_Trajjin Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2003
    Sounds like a wierd question, with no evidence to back up any answer but its good Star Wars conversation.
    Does anyone think that Emperor Palpatine could have been redeemed by something or someone and turn him back to the "light" side or was he too far gone down the road to madness like a "Hitler" or "Stalin" type?
    Anyone have any thoughts? Are there any clues to his past before TPM?

2. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Palps was beyond redemption a long time before TPM.

3. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    True. Palpatine had already sacrificed any moral ideals way before TPM. If he was trained in a similar way to Maul by his master, then he would've become a Dark-Side user at a very young age.

Imagine Mr. Burns from the Simpsons, then take away the glimmers of goodness that even that character has. Palpatine is the closest you can get to evil in human form.

4. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Palpatine is pure evil. Which makes him so cool :). Ian McDiarmid is the perfect actor for this role, he was Awesome in ROTJ.

5. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Palpatine represents the anti-christ in my opinion. And the anti-christ is far beyond redemption

6. Darth_Trajjin

Darth_Trajjin Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2003
    Good answers..I agree

7. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Also keep in mind Lucas' fondness of good vs. evil. Its always one extreme or the other. No inbetween really. And I'd have to say Palpy is about as bad as you can get so no, no redemption there.

8. Imperial_March

Imperial_March Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    palpatine's evilness was redeemed by his death

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Sometimes I imagine Palpatine saying "I love you" to someone. Always cracks me up! :)

10. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Unlike Anakin, who is "evil" but still holds ideals, Palpatine is a man of pure evil; he long ago stopped caring about anything but himself.

No, there is no redemption for Palpatine.

11. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Also keep in mind Lucas' fondness of good vs. evil. Its always one extreme or the other. No inbetween really

Anakin seems to be an in-between IMO, at least the PT Anakin but you can argue OT Anakin/Vader is also

12. Anakinisthechosenone

Anakinisthechosenone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    I agree.. he was long past redemption.. he was so far gone.. nothing could've saved him.

13. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    He could have been redeemed. I believe everyone has that chance. However, that is not the route Lucas took. If all the bad guys are redeemed, it's not as powerful. We get to see someone who doesn't get redeemed, while at the same time seeing someone who does, Anakin. We see what could have happened to Anakin.

14. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Redemption for Palpatine? I think he's written to be pure evil. He never shows even the tiniest glimmer of goodness (although Vader doesn't either in the OT until the end of ROTJ). Vader, I believe, was deserving of redemption, but not Palpatine. It would seem kind of... silly...

15. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Palpatine is too late for redemption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.