Redemption for Palpatine...?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Trajjin, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Trajjin Jedi Padawan

Sounds like a wierd question, with no evidence to back up any answer but its good Star Wars conversation.
    Does anyone think that Emperor Palpatine could have been redeemed by something or someone and turn him back to the "light" side or was he too far gone down the road to madness like a "Hitler" or "Stalin" type?
    Anyone have any thoughts? Are there any clues to his past before TPM?
  2. JediJeffro Force Ghost

star 5
    Palps was beyond redemption a long time before TPM.
  3. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    True. Palpatine had already sacrificed any moral ideals way before TPM. If he was trained in a similar way to Maul by his master, then he would've become a Dark-Side user at a very young age.

Imagine Mr. Burns from the Simpsons, then take away the glimmers of goodness that even that character has. Palpatine is the closest you can get to evil in human form.
  4. The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Master

star 4
    Palpatine is pure evil. Which makes him so cool :). Ian McDiarmid is the perfect actor for this role, he was Awesome in ROTJ.
  5. ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Palpatine represents the anti-christ in my opinion. And the anti-christ is far beyond redemption
  6. Darth_Trajjin Jedi Padawan

7. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    Also keep in mind Lucas' fondness of good vs. evil. Its always one extreme or the other. No inbetween really. And I'd have to say Palpy is about as bad as you can get so no, no redemption there.
  8. Imperial_March Jedi Knight

star 2
    palpatine's evilness was redeemed by his death
  9. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    Sometimes I imagine Palpatine saying "I love you" to someone. Always cracks me up! :)
  10. Sophita Jedi Master

star 4
    Unlike Anakin, who is "evil" but still holds ideals, Palpatine is a man of pure evil; he long ago stopped caring about anything but himself.

No, there is no redemption for Palpatine.
  11. ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Also keep in mind Lucas' fondness of good vs. evil. Its always one extreme or the other. No inbetween really

Anakin seems to be an in-between IMO, at least the PT Anakin but you can argue OT Anakin/Vader is also
  12. Anakinisthechosenone Jedi Knight

star 1
    I agree.. he was long past redemption.. he was so far gone.. nothing could've saved him.
  13. Vanthorne_OX Jedi Knight

star 3
    He could have been redeemed. I believe everyone has that chance. However, that is not the route Lucas took. If all the bad guys are redeemed, it's not as powerful. We get to see someone who doesn't get redeemed, while at the same time seeing someone who does, Anakin. We see what could have happened to Anakin.
  14. Yomin_Carr Force Ghost

star 4
    Redemption for Palpatine? I think he's written to be pure evil. He never shows even the tiniest glimmer of goodness (although Vader doesn't either in the OT until the end of ROTJ). Vader, I believe, was deserving of redemption, but not Palpatine. It would seem kind of... silly...
  15. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Palpatine is too late for redemption.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.