main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Redemption (Obi/Xan/baby Luke; set around Ep. III ~(complete)~)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks for clicking! :D

This is not a vignette - I'd just like to make that clear since I post so many of the things. :p This won't be a long story, but it won't be very short, either - I expect to have maybe ten posts, total. No spoilers - I am spoiler free. (Spoil me, you die. :p )

And Su, get your butt in here.

Title: Redemption
    Summary: Xanatos has turned away from the Dark Side after decades of living with it; what next? Obi-Wan and a young blue-eyed infant are about to find out.
    A/N: The first part of this - this first post, here - was originally posted on the Classic board: Redemption (Ep. III fic, AKA - Really Kewl Oba Fic w/ Xan Included). I decided to expand upon the fic. :) (No idea why.) This first post was beta'ed by LadyPadme way back then (as a vignette). :)
    A/N2: I currently have two things to say - one, I need a beta so someone better pop up, and two, I have about 13 pages written of the story at the moment. I'll probably update in a few days. Pay attention to point number one. Thank you. I may not post until I get a beta.

:p

Onto the story. ;)

~*~*~*~

The cloaked figure kept to the corners and dark shadows of the buildings, running lightly along alleyways. His shoulders were hunched down protectively, his arms held curved in front.

It was raining heavily, making the normally dark and dirty Corellian city of Mangeht appear even grungier. Mangeht was known for its total dislike of any government entities, and their interference. Here, everything was a matter of survival and money, never ethics.

It was a good hiding place for a Jedi, and his young charge.

The watching man would never have believed the cloaked figure was Obi-Wan Kenobi, had he not seen the Jedi's face purely by accident. Obi-Wan had been crouched on the ground, his dirty, torn cloak pooling around him in the sewer water in which he knelt, resting. His arms had been curled around something he was holding, his back hunched over it protectively as he gazed down. His hood was drawn down very low.

He had only been passing Obi-Wan when Kenobi shot a wary glance up and around; just as quickly he looked back down, and that brief appearance of his face vanished. He had seen the ginger hair, streaked with a few brushes of gray, stuck to the Jedi?s face with sweat and rain. The blue eyes, normally full of serenity and sometimes even a gentle humor, were dark and nearly unreadable, showing only worry and paranoia.

Though paranoia was a good thing to have these days, even for those that the newborn Empire had no interest in. He himself had held to wariness, had used what remained of his wealth from the days of the Republic to make himself a haven where he would never be found.

He should just leave the Jedi alone. It was none of his concern.

But something within him held him back from doing that. When Kenobi had risen from checking whatever he was holding, the watching man had followed him, keeping his distance carefully. Obi-Wan could very well sense the presence of a tail if he wasn?t careful enough. The Jedi was skilled, and more importantly, he had something ? whatever that bundle was ? to protect.

Jedi took those things seriously. The watching man knew that very well, for the same principle had been drilled into him. For a time, he had lost that. Perhaps . . . perhaps he had found it again.

Even as Obi-Wan kept to the shadows, his follower did the same. He trailed at enough of a distance that he could barely see the Jedi. He would often glance at his surroundings, knocking his long black hair out of his eyes, and wonder where indeed the Jedi was going.

Which was how he saw Obi-Wan?s other stalker.

He doubted this other one had his own such harmless intention ? curiosity, really ? as he followed Kenobi. This new stalker was clearly a bounty hunter, perhaps even one of those hunting specifically for Jedi. The camouflaging matte color of the Twi?lek

2. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    The first time I read this I did think it was a short lil viggy. Glad to hear you will continue it.

If you need my help, let me know by PM

3. jedi_nayru

jedi_nayru Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2002
    I loved this the first time I read it!

I'm glad you've decided to expand it.

4. VadeyFan2002

VadeyFan2002 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2002
    Yeah! At last you'll make it a whole story.
    Thanks

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    It's wonderful as a viggie but it should be even better as a full-length story. I look forward to more!!

6. Haqqy_Hoddit_Pabawan

Haqqy_Hoddit_Pabawan Jedi Master

Oct 22, 2003
    Yay! You're expanding it! I absolutely loved the vignette, and am looking forward to see where ya take it. :D

And only ten posts? *pouts* 8-}

BOO!

HHP [face_devil]

7. Angel_Skywalker

Angel_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2002
    Xanathos was to the right time at the right place... Maybe the force has some plans with him ;)

Can´t wait for the next post!!!!

Angel

8. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Eagerly awaiting more! :)

9. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Wonderful. I look forward to some more.

10. Seraphena

Seraphena Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    Eagerly wanting more.

No spoiling hmmm. So I shouldn't send gifts to get more posts. *darn* :)

11. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    YIPPEE! *claps hands in delight and sits down to wait for some more.*

12. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    PadawanKitara: Thank you. :) I wrote it as a little viggie, so I'm not surprised. :p I just got a bunny to add onto it. :)

jedi_nayru: Thank you! :D Hope you'll be along for the ride. ;)

VadeyFan2002: Aye, at last. ;) Thank you. :D

dianethx: I certainly hope so. :) This is the first time I've ever tried to do this - turn a viggie into a longer story. :p Thank you! :D

HHP: [face_blush] Thanks! :D I hope I fulfill your expectations. ;) And ten is a guesstimate. :p

Angel_Skywalker: Oh, the Force has plans. Many plans. Much like myself. [face_mischief] Thank you! :D

obi_ew: Thanks! :)

CrystalKenobi: Thank you. Here's to hoping I post again soon. :p

Seraphena: Thank you. :D And yes, 'gifts' would be a bad idea if you're saying what I think you're saying. 8-}

jacen200015: *giggles* Thanks for the enthusiasm! ;) :cool:

13. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Hmmm... I must admit I'm quite intrigued. Bring it on. :D

*hums to herself patiently*

14. Seraphena

Seraphena Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    obaona: of course not, don't do that to people. I was thinking chocolate, candy, a certain blue eyed Jedi. That type of spoiling. ;)

15. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    RebelScum77: *giggles* Thanks. :D Hope you decide to stay on. ;)

Seraphena: That kind of spoiling when would be more than welcome, thanks. [face_mischief] :p

16. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    This is interesting! Can't wait for more!

The Jedi was skilled, and more importantly, he had something ? whatever that bundle was ?to protect.

Jedi took those things seriously. The watching man knew that very well, for the same principle had been drilled into him. For a time, he had lost that. Perhaps . . . perhaps he had found it again.

Looks like Xan found his calling. Looking after Obi-Wan and perhaps Luke?

~Bek

17. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    It's on it's way back to you :)

18. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Bekah_K: We'll see. ;) :p And thank you! :D

Many thanks to PadawanKitara for beta'ing! :D Sorry this post is short, but blame Kitara. Just kidding! :p The next one will be longer. :) This is more of an introduction than anything else. :p

~*~*~*~

It was the absence of the light pitter-patter of rain that alerted Obi-Wan to the presence of the intruder. He had little money on him, and was forced to resort to ?lodgings? that were protection from the heavy rainstorm, and not much else. There was no door, and the room itself was small, smaller than many cells. From the smell of the place, it had been used by vagrants from time to time, when the ?owner? wasn?t around to charge.

Throughout the night, Obi-Wan stayed awake, listening to the pitter-patter of rain falling outside the door. When the sound quieted, he knew immediately that something had to have interrupted the steady stream of water.

He soundlessly and quickly rose to a sitting position, lightsaber in one hand. A figure stood outside the door, wearing a dark and heavy cloak with the hood pulled down. A brief flit of panic wormed it?s way into him as he wondered if the Twi?lek that had been killed a few days ago had accomplices. But as Obi-Wan watched, tense and ready to fight, the man threw back the hood, and took a cautious step in, after a moment of edgy silence.

Xanatos.

Obi-Wan exhaled in something akin to relief. A strange reaction, but considering the events of a few days ago . . . well. The encounter with the former Jedi had been full of mixed feelings ? fear, relief, hope. Xanatos was looking well, if not exactly worry-free. His black hair was only slight damp, and fell past his shoulders. His midnight blue eyes stared at Obi-Wan deeply, his face tilted downwards, giving him an even more intense look. The broken circle scar was faded, almost invisible, something Obi-Wan hadn?t noticed before.

The other thing he realized was his failure to realize who Xanatos was before he pulled back the hood. Obi-Wan?s control of the Force, his trust in it, was slipping. It was something he had first recognized days before, but he was filled with fresh dismay.

Xanatos, looking awkward, finally broke the silence. He jerked his chin at the bundle besides Obi-Wan. ?Is that the child?? he asked.

?Yes,? Obi-Wan replied cautiously. Luke lay beside him, sleeping, curled up in Obi-Wan?s cloak. It left the Jedi rather cold, clad only in a black tunic, pants, and his boots, but it kept Luke very warm, and that was the most important thing. Especially as young as Luke was. He also would have to get more milk for the boy soon, and that didn?t promise to be easy.

Obi-Wan sighed, after another minute of silence as Xanatos . . . fidgeted. ?Why don?t you just tell me why you?re here, so I can sleep??

?I . . .? Xanatos hesitated. ?You?re not going to sleep anyway,? he finished with a bit more confidence.

Obi-Wan gave Xanatos his best flat expression, refusing to blink at the silly dodge. ?I don?t know what you expect of me for what you did ?? What was this? Had saving Obi-Wan been part of some plot after all? He had not thought so at the time, but the knowledge that Xanatos? had saved his life ? and Luke?s ? was days old, and wariness took over.

?I don?t expect anything,? Xanatos said hurriedly. ?I ? I didn?t have an ulterior motives, Obi-Wan.? He paused, uncertainly, looking absurdly vulnerable to Obi-Wan?s cynical eyes. ?It was just . . . coming, sooner or later.?

?You mean ? the fact that you aren?t dark?? Obi-Wan asked curiously, not really relaxing but more willing to listen to what Xanatos had to say. His interest at Xanatos? presence and attitude was growing by the moment. He had pushed the incident where Xanatos saved his life out of his mind, focusing on other things instead of pondering how out of character it was for the man.

Xanatos nodded. He cautiously took a few more steps into the shelter, eyes flitting around and finally resting on Luke. Not looking away, he spoke. ?I came because you looked like you ne

19. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    I was about to offer to beta the rest of it for you, but it seems to me that I've been made redundant!

Oooer, and a very good thing - I loved this viggie, and seeing it continued is teh :cool:

20. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    This is really good!

Obi-Wan is holding out hope for Anakin because of what he is witnessing with Xan.

Xan is finding his place, and perhaps, Xan can help Obi-Wan find the belief he once had in the Force; to strengthen his belief in it once again.

More soon Please!

~Bek

21. Haqqy_Hoddit_Pabawan

Haqqy_Hoddit_Pabawan Jedi Master

Oct 22, 2003
    Xanatos nodded again, somewhat hesitantly. The man was acting truly odd, at one moment seeming eager to please and the next falling back to his old, taunting ways.

I liked that line - it shows that even though he's taking a step toward the light, his old behavior he knows best, in a way; he falls back on it when he's uncomfortable with himself.

And I like Bekah's idea that Xan might guide Obi back to having faith in the Force, to overcome his bitterness - I think that's the term you used - that events in the galaxy have given him.

More soon? :D

22. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
  23. Wisdom

Wisdom Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2003
    one word: wow.

:D

Wisdom

24. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Excellent. I was hoping that someone would help Obiwan. Look forward to more.

25. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Burkie: You'd never be redundant! :p :D And thank you, sweetheart. ;)

Bekah_K: Yes, that's it exactly. :) They're also going to help each other out quite some bit. ;) :D Thank you! :D

HHP: Yes, that's exactly right. :p Xan is in the light, but he could slip back, and he's already slipping back into old behavior patterns. :p And Bekah_K is right. ;) And yes, more soon, hopefully. :) Thanks! :D

obi_ew: :p

Wisdom: Thanks! :D

CrystalKenobi: Thank you. :D And I may torture Obi-Wan, but I always help him out of it. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.