main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Redemption of Shadows: Xan/Obi AU 2/17 Author's Note

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Seraphena, Dec 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I liked Bruck's thinking.

2. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Those two will make an interesting pair. :D

3. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    Sighs to bad bruck didn't die 8-}

4. Seraphena

Seraphena Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    Bekah_K: Yes, she does.
    Keeper_of_Swords: Thanks
    obi_ew: Interesting in one word for it
    Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl: at least he?s changing. :)

Rayn listened to the hushed conversation with only part of her attention. Jax and Avali had worked together before, so no reason to worry on that score.

Xanatos. That had been a surprise. Twisting a lock of hair around her finger she thought about it. He looked happier, healthier. Smiling, not something she had seen him do a lot. And Obi-wan, what had been even more of a surprise. It had been so long since she had seen him that Rayn could hardly recognize him. He had grown so much.

?Tisp.? Jax?s voice broke into her musing.

?Sorry Captain.? She apologized turning her attention back to business once more.

?What can you tell us about the Raiders?? Avali asked again.

Mentally reviewing the information from interviews with the survivors and from Bruck, no Razi I have to get into the habit of even thinking of him like that, had given her Separately there was little to conclude but everything together.

?Well organized and well armed.? She replied thinking each piece through. Despite Alecto and her crew of , to put it bluntly, slicers no pattern had emerged that they could track.

?We need to know more before I can make a judgment. Not enough information.?

?What are your instincts?? Avali asked. The Guildsman trusted them, always had.
    Before she could answer the door opened. Three pairs of eyes watched Xanatos enter. One respecting the Jedi and all they stood for. One watching the dark haired man looking for weaknesses, the other just watching those sapphire eyes.

?I hope I am not interrupting.? Xanatos said with a grin.

?Nothing, just working through the information.? Avali greeted him, pushing a chair in the Jedi?s directions. ?Sit down. Tisiphone was just talking through some ideas.

?Not enough information.? She muttered.

?Still.? Avali pressed. ?I?ve rarely seen you wrong.?

Bitter thoughts of all things that could happen if she was, Rayn pushed aside. Duty and honor. ?Few of the attacks have been reported. Most of the information I have is from ships reported missing in this sector. Usually they didn?t report in for their next destination, or if they were freelance their friends pitched in the information once it became clear what we were dealing with.?

?Freelance?? Xanatos asked with a sardonic smile. Rayn resisted the urge to slap it off his face.

?Smugglers then, if that makes you happy.? She replied snidely.

?Of course, continue please.?

?The only thing I keep coming back to is the nature of the ships or their flight plans.?

Jax motioned for her to continue.

?It?s a theory only mind you, but from what I?m seeing so far I?m expecting them to have a place or two in common, maybe three. We?re still working to back track the flight plans of some of the ships, but if I?m right then somewhere along the lines the raiders were able to get a hold of the ship?s manifests and routes.?

?Interesting theory. But beware of closing your mind to the other possibilities.? Xanatos said softly. Rayn knew what he meant, but the tone.

If I told you who I was I?d bet you?d be more willing to listen. She thought growing angry.

?As I said it was a theory. Until your precious commander comes up with more information ??

?He?s not my precious anything.? Xanatos snapped back.

?He?s certainly acting like-? Rayn stopped in mid-sentence letting the information working through her brain.

?What?? Xanatos asked impatiently.

Not enough information. Her logic informed her. On the right path. Her instincts screamed.

?Never mind.? She said finally ignoring Jax?s questioning look. ?My apologies gentlemen. I am very tired.?

Gathering what serenity she could Rayn fled the chamber without a backwards glance hurrying to the comfort of her ship.

5. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Interesting!

This may have been stated in the fic somewhere, but I can't recall it right now - why doesn't Rayn want Xan or Obi to know who she is or where she is? Or is that part of the fic waiting to be unraveled?

~Bek

6. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    waiting to be unraveled.

7. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I'm kinda surprised that Xan doesn't suspect something about her. He must be slipping in his old age! :D

8. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
    ~sighs sadly and crys~

I hate Rayn now!!!!!!!!

9. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    Bekah_K: Thanks
    obi_ew: This should answer your questions, so to speak
    Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl: trust me there are days everyone hates her. :)

Sorry about the delay, loads of stuff for work and studying and wedding plans.

Xanatos watched her leave with narrowed eyes. They way she walked, there was something familiar about it, something he knew that he should remember. But his attention kept drifting to her knee, the jerky movement. That alone threw off all his attempt at trying to think if this was someone he should know.

?Is there much else?? The Captain asked his low voice cutting through Xanatos?s introspection.

?Not really. Jedi De?Crion is it possible that you could talk to the Commander again and see if he is will to release the arrival and departure logs to us.? Avali?s voice was resigned as if the Guildsman suspected that no matter how hard Xanatos tried he would not be able to accomplish it.

?I?ll ask. I take it that he has been less than helpful.?

?That would be one way to put it.? Avali said with little apology.

Nodding Xanatos rose. ?I can?t promise anything, but I?ll see what I can do.?

Returning to his quarters Xanatos tried to put the woman out of his mind. But he couldn?t. That serious expression, those haunted eyes.

He cast his mind and found his apprentice meditating. Cocking an eyebrow Xanatos just waited. The Force sung around the boy and the Master found that he could just not hold on to his irritation.

It was the will of the Force that they were together. The force and a certain dark haired -.
    Vague memories danced in his mind. He could still feel the cold of Devos, and the haunting specter of madness. He had spent many hours meditating on what had happened, mostly to give himself some measure of peace. Clearly he remembered the emotions, the emptiness and the loneliness, it was the visual memories that he could never really understand.

Both Master Jinn and Master Yoda had worked with him trying to uncover them, Xanatos had only the sketchiest of details as to how he had been rescued, De?valin and Rayn had never wanted to talk about it. Of the mental torment, those vision forced on him to break him, Xanatos remembered every detail. Shuddering he tried to push aside the haunting nightmare where he had been force to kill his sister.

Vague images of a duel flittered through his mind. Joining Obi-wan in a meditative pose Xanatos tried to chase down that elusive thing.

*/Sabers flashed, sapphire and green. Sparks danced in the cold corridor. Ivy eyes looking up at his in the light of his saber at her throat. The eyes held resignation and acceptance of her fate. /*

Nausea rolled in his stomach, bile scorched his throat. Falling forward he rested on his hand and knees breathing shallowly. Not something he had created, a true memory. More disturbing since he now knew Rayn had been the one to find him.

Looking at his apprentice he was relieved to see Obi-wan was still deep in meditation. On unsteady feet Xanatos moved to look out the room?s only observation window. Watching the stars glimmering brought some peace

Of all the question, why dominated his mind. Could this Tisiphone be Rayn? Why hasn?t she said something? Is she undercover? Who is Captain Mercy?

The last he had heard Rayn had left the Jedi for the Out Rim, Master Gallia had offered him the comfort that she had reports that Rayn was alive and well. Now a counselor Master Gallia was also in charge of the more covert affairs of the Jedi. Ones that he had known all too well.

If it was Rayn, time alone would tell when they had a moment of time away from sharp ears and prying eyes. Maybe then she would talk to him. Until then he would be just a player on the stage.

10. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    upping, since it didn't like it the first time, Double posts. erg!

11. Bekah_K

Sep 3, 2002
    That answers my question! :)

Nice job!

~Bek

12. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Okay I feel better now! :D I didn't think my Xan could be that clueless!

13. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
    ~falls down to her weaken knee's, tilts her head up to the sky, throws her arms up and screams with all her soul: PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

14. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    Sorry about the long delay. Having to deal with a lot of family stuff right now, some good, some bad, but that means that I have very little energy to write what I think is good. I hope to have something posted by Saturday. If not feel free to bug me.

Thanks

15. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Hope things settle down for you soon. :)

16. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Just catching up. still have more to read, but this is great so far!

17. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    UP!! i'm not confused anymore. :D

18. Bekah_K

Sep 3, 2002
    Come back when you can! :)

~Bek

19. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    Thank you all for the words of support. As promised (though a day late) the next installment. I'll get to individual replies as I can. But thank you again.

____

Fuming Xanatos attempted to release his anger and annoyance to the Force, but that was quickly becoming a very unattractive notion.

Of all the stupid arrogant-

/Master?/ Obi-wan?s tentative though brushed past the swirling tide.

Working to control the emotions before they controlled him, Xanatos turned to his apprentice. The poor boy was running to catch up, and Xanatos bite back another curse. The lad hadn?t reached his growth yet and small legs had a lot of trouble keeping up with the Master?s much larger ones, especially when the master just wanted to get away.

/Sorry Obi./ Xanatos sighed. Once again he had tried to talk to the Station Commander, and once again his aides had turned him away. Four days and nothing, no sign of the man. Always he is too busy, he is dealing with other issue. No time for the Jedi.

Looking down the hall he caught a glint of dark metal in the view portal and a sly grin formed. Not long after the abortive meeting the strange crew had left to deal with other issues. Apparently they were back.

Xanatos studied the approaching ship. His smile grew as familiar lines and sleek design adroitly attached itself. It was a nice ship, whatever its name. Checking the manifest he noticed it was calling itself the Erinyes now. How appropriate.

Looking down at his apprentice he shared the smile.

/Could be, maybe./ Obi-wan said finally.

/We have work to do padawan./

They made it several steps down the hall when a streak of dark browns and golds collided into them. Xanatos grunted at the impact, but his instinctive use of the Force kept him upright.

The cause of the impact bounced back up from his sprawl. Tugging at his forelock of hair the boy gave them a half bow. ?Sorry about that sirs. Knight De?Crion, Padawan Kenobi.?

Stunned the silent they made no protest as the boy continued on his mission, from the looks of it towards the Medical station. Sapphire eyes narrowed, the uniform hadn?t been totally familiar, brown and golden hue edges. Not enough time to see the ship?s patch. He hadn?t recognized the dark haired boy, no one he knew had eyes like twin pieces of tiger?s eye.

But the boy had known them. Something more than just the familiarity of several weeks on station.

They continued on, past the spacers working on their ships, and the crews moving supplies. The last bay was not the largest, but still quite substantial, three ships now rested there.

Xanatos?s breath caught as he surveyed the damage. One looked as if it had been dipped in dark paint. Black carbon scored ceased the ship from stem to stern, nothing serious, but disturbing in the extreme.

The second ship looked worse, some of the crew, a small number, much smaller than what should be expected to man such a craft, were work already to repair a hull breach near the engines. Cutting torches were already working to trim away the jagged edges. The engines were being looked to as well.

Xanatos was pushed aside as a small group of healers pushed past the stunned Jedi. Three dress in that same brown and gold met them and divided into two groups. Regret and sorrow whispered in his mind as the doctor tended to the crews. Several float stretchers were taken from the ship, and he couldn?t help but murmur a soft word to the Force as several shrouded forms were taken. The Forces lamenting surprised him. Sapphire eyes widened as he felt the Force surrounding all in this bay. Shock ripped through the bond with his apprentice, as they both sensed that every sentient in the hanger was force sensitive. Strong or weak, some barely trained, but each and all firmly lodged in the Light.

?I said I was fine.? A familiar voice echoed from the third ship, and Xanatos feared to look. Worse that the others, he was surprised it actually made it here. Twi

20. Bekah_K

Sep 3, 2002
    Great post Seraphena, and Welcome Back! :D

Was Xan possibly talking to Rayn in that last section? :)

~Bek

21. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    Rayn was talking to Xanatos. Sorry missed a bit when putting it on here. Fixed it. :)

22. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Really liked this post. Glad Rayn is finally going to open up with Xan. :)

23. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    Bekah_K: thanks
    obi_ew: we can only hope. Thanks.

As appreciation, you are getting a long one. Setting up the why and wherefores that will happen later. Promise I tried to make it make sense.

There was something delightful about reporting to the Council via the Holo. Besides those wonderful buttons marked ?off? and ?mute?. Xanatos enjoyed every drop of the perverse pleasure as he twisted the dial to shrink the Council to something a little more appropriate, about 5 inches.

Behind him Obi-wan was snickering through the bond though no expression hinted such a shocking thing on his angelic face.

/Laugh it up, Bratling./ Xanatos replied.

A ringing tone and the Council turned its attention on them.

?Greetings Knight Xanatos, Padawan Kenobi.? Master Geitt formally addressed them.

The pair bowed to the miniature council just as formally. ?Greeting Honored Masters.? The dark haired Jedi replied smoothly.

?We have received your preliminary report on the situation, and have forwarded the relevant information to the Republic Fleet.? Master Geitt paused and looked them over. ?However concerns have been expressed as to the recent actions and decisions.?

?Not clear is it why replaced the Station Commander needs be.? Yoda interrupted.

?It is kind of difficult, not to mention bad for the Republic?s image, to be running a station while you are under arrest for piracy.? Xanatos kept his voice even.

Several of the Council looked shocked.

/I thought it was quite clear in the report Master./ Obi-wan said dryly.

/Maybe too clear my apprentice, next time we?ll use smaller words./

?And your reasoning for this?? Master Geitt asked.

Xanatos shrugged. ?we were sent here as observers. The representatives from the station and the shipping concerns have no issues with the action or the logic behind it.?

/No they just wanted him lynched without a trial./ Obi-wan pointed out.
    /Considering what he did, and why I can?t say I blame them./

?Commander Pela is arguing that he is a scapegoat for the real pirates.?

/That figures./ Xanatos sighed. /Then again it?s the only choice he has./

?I have reviewed the collected data Masters and it was included in my report, these included several bank accounts which Pela accessed regularly, communications between him and other implicated. Sensor records matched the scanner data with a ship that attacked a convey recently. Commander Pela was found to be in command when it surrendered.

Yoda?s piercing stare lost none of its intensity crossing over the vast distance. ?Trust do you the source of this information??

Tucking his arms into the sleeves of his robes Xanatos phrased his response very carefully. ? There is no reason to doubt them Master, I have sensed no deceit. ?

Those all seeing yellow eyes turned to Obi-wan. ?What about you, young Obi-wan. Concur with your master?s impression do you.?

Even though his Master had warned him, he was still startled that the Council would want to here his opinion.

?My master had covered everything.? He stated finally proud that his voice sounded at least somewhat confident.

?Learned anything have you?? Yoda pressed.

?Yes master.?

?Tell us you will.?

Obi-wan wasn?t quite sure what the diminutive master was looking for. Seeking the comfort of their bond, he felt his master?s pride and amusement.

Taking his time to gather his thought. ?We are not always the solution to everyone?s problem. Sometime a Jedi?s presence can be more of a hindrance than a help.?

?And this time??

Obi-wan felt all eyes on him and shifted uncomfortably. ?At first we had to prove that we would not interfere, rumors abound. Though now that I think about it probably due more to someone deliberately doing it than just station gossip. We watched and listened, and finally the representatives understood that they needed to take step, do something to fix their problems.?

?Did nothing did you??

/What does the old troll want?/

24. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    So Xan recognizes Bruck? I'm glad he is finally going to demand some answers. :)

25. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
    I'm reminded of this saying:

It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it?s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn?t. Because they were holding on to something."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.