main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Redemption of Shadows: Xan/Obi AU 2/17 Author's Note

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Seraphena, Dec 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    The fact that they're all together again means they can stir up some trouble now. 8-}

~Bek

2. Seraphena

Seraphena Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    obi_ew: more answers than he probably wants to hear
    Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl:Thank you, that quote is one of my faves and it is so true.
    Bekah_K: So true. :)

Thanks all for being patient with me, I?m working on a few aspects of my writings. Once again I?ve lost my beta, and that makes three gone. *sigh*

/ Stuff/ telepathy
    */ stuff/* Force vision.

To me telepathy is a two pronged thing, those that have the talent can talk to others with the talent. Those that shared a bond can talk with or without the ability.

?Where should I start?? she asked sounding resigned.

?The beginning is usually the best place. Why did you leave??

Pushing away from him she stood up. Wobbling a little Bruck reached out and steadied her. Xanatos was surprised. Normally she would growl at anyone trying to help, but she let the boy.

Through their bond he felt the mishmash of emotions. Resignation, pride, hope, fear, love. Typical Rayn.

?Would it be easier to show me??

?No!? The two other males stated firmly to Rayn?s obvious disgust.

/Am I missing something?/ He asked touching her mind gently.

/Stubborn overprotective arrogant./ she muttered.

/If its about your health I think they have the right./

/If I may intrude/ a rumbling bass mental voice joined in. /I?m assuming there is a conversation/ . Xanatos noted absently that the man?s mental presence was deep ocean/spice/and a distinct shade of pale brown.

/I?m betting there is./ Bruck interjected. Widening the area of their sending they included all present.

/Xanatos, Jax. Jax Xanatos./ Rayn introduced. /Bruck you already know Knight De?Crion. There happy./

/Don?t stick your tongue out unless you mean it./ The dark haired Jedi warned. /Good if you are up to this-/

/I?m fine./ her presence swirled moodily.

/Besides discovering listening devices in my rooms. I think there are plenty of things to talk about./

/Don?t forget to say things out loud for the nice recordings./ Jax half joked.

?Our last mission together? Rayn said settling herself in a chair. ?I discovered files, data about some sort of experiments dealing with Force Sensitives.?

?Any idea what?? /Devos?/

/After we got you I was prompted to keep looking and found some interesting things./

?None of my tech or docs have a clue.?

?We don?t have many theoretical scientists on board.? Jax stated /It appears biochemical at least or genetic./

?I can forward it on and let some experts take a look at it.? /If you trust me./

/Of course I trust you Xani./

/It looked that way, to a lot of us when you just left./

/I had to./ The anguish in her eyes was eloquent.

/Master Jinn was beside himself, he still thinks its something he did./

/Self centered mule./

Bruck?s gasp of surprise at Rayn?s words.

/He is./ She defended. Bruck tried to stifle his laughter.

/The trick young Bruck/ Xanatos said sonorously. /is never say it to them or where others can heard you./

/Aren?t you the one that called Yoda a-/
    /I think we are drifted from the topic at hand. If you don?t mind./

?After the incident at the Temple ? /Bond./ ?I needed time to heal.?

Looking at the silent Jax Xanatos cocked an eyebrow. /Two weeks tanked. Physical therapy, and no unnecessary use of the force./

/Not sure its helping./ Xanatos said tentatively. He didn?t want to antagonize this man.

/Several people thought she should go to one of the Jedi Healing temples, but her majesty wouldn?t hear of it./

/Pride before the fall Rayn./

/it?s getting better./ She protested.

/No its not./ Jax said. Obviously an old argument. /Your nervous system is still erratic especially in

3. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    *Sighs.* i give up trying to second guess what you're planning. its just easier to just read it and then wait for the next post without thinking about what will happen next.

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I have to agree with Jacen . I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. :)

5. Bekah_K

Sep 3, 2002
    Interesting! But I third the above suggestion! :)

~Bek

6. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    jacen200015, obi_ew, and Bekah_K: Motion carried. Thanks all.

Watching the droids work was soothing. It reminded Xanatos that the universe didn?t stop. The welders and programmers still did their work and life moved on.

?It is a beautiful ship isn?t.? Jax stood beside him and for a few minutes they were both content to watch.

?How is she really?? Xanatos asked

Jax leaned against the rail. ?I?m not sure.? He said after taking the time to gather his thoughts. ?When she first got back it was bad. Not just the physical, but the nightmares, the doubt.? The other man grew quiet and Xanatos exercised patience. ?All the doctors warned her to go to the Jedi Temple, too see if they could help. She wouldn?t go.?

?Even after three years she?s still having problems.? It wasn?t a question.

?Her nervous system was badly abused by the amount of energy she was pouring through her body. Rayn has worked hard pushing herself to get back to her former abilities. Hasn?t quite made it all the way yet. And now this.?

?And what happened??

?Typical Rayn. The battle with the Vigilant was messy. Our ships are small enough that we can avoid most things. Rayn ordered herself on the boarding party. I had my hands full dealing with the fighters. I felt her battle, against the dark creature that Pela had become. Once he was out the rest surrendered. The fighters kept coming though. When the hull breached on her ship Rayn just acted. She was able to hold a bubble around the ship until it could be locked down. Still she lost a third of her crew.?

Xanatos was shocked. ?A Force bubble?? A child?s exercise, but impractical for large applications. It was too energy consuming. She had said she had shielded the command deck. A bubble keep atmosphere in, shields didn?t. Exponentially hard and more draining.

Jax?s laughed sardonically. ?Yeah. She?s not suppose to do that. Little things, everyday things fine. But every time she over reaches, goes that deep into the Force I think we loose a little bit of her. She won?t quit.?

Xanatos shook his head. ?She won?t. She doesn?t know how.?

?Hopefully the Jedi Healers will be able to do something for her.?

?Maybe.? Xanatos looked back out at the droids. ?Thank you.?

?Just take care of her.? The man growled as he left.
    #####

Obi-wan was still awake when his master returned. Meditation hadn?t provided the answers nor had just trying to think through it. Their bond was strong enough that Obi-wan had been able to see the vision as it had unfolded in his Master?s mind. It was growing stronger. Some times now matter how his master tried to shield him, Obi-wan could still feel things. The strongest shields that Xanatos could created blocked everything but strong emotions.

That horrifying sight, once that filled his master with confusion had brought the apprentice almost to his knees in despair. He hadn?t pulled himself away or pushed away the warning the Force had been giving him. Calming his racing heart Obi-wan looked carefully at the memories of the rest of the vision.

#/ The rubber and metal taste of the re-breather tainted every breath. Dark halls brightened with orange and blue flames. Racing through halls and room the two Jedi attempted to out run the flames. The next chamber they could slow from the force assisted speed. Acid smells but not smoke nor fire.

/Careful Obi-wan./ Xanatos cautioned. Darker here than anywhere else in the complex. Only the lights below dispelled the dark. A catwalk spanned the room. Wide enough for them to move side by side. Obi-wan untangled his braid from the strangle hold it had tied around his neck. The shadows hid details, but the floor lights outlines the dark form that waited for them at the other end.

The cowled head moved to track their movement and took a step forward. Obi-wan felt a brush of Force energy. His master stiffened.

/Stay out of this Obi-wan./ The bond between them closed down tightly as his Mas

7. Bekah_K

Sep 3, 2002
    Rayn watched the two boys as they sparred. They started out tentatively, but each step they both relaxed more and Rayn felt the pleasure of the Force as it touched two of its own.

/Going well?/ Xanatos asked

/Very well. Are you coming to play too?/

She could feel his sardonic amusement. /Maybe later./

Loved it. The gangs together again.

Does Rayn know about the vision Xan had? :confused:

~Bek

8. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I'm so glad that Obi and Bruck can get over the past and maybe be friends. :)

9. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    A short bit for what I am working on next, should tide you over until I can post again, I want to make sure everything is just right.

Bekah_K: no she doesn?t.
    obi_ew: yeah, me too.

Several days of fun and excitement. Xanatos sighed. Or at least control chaos. Two padawans, one Jedi knight, One sort of Jedi, and all the spare time they could handled. Not exactly conducive to his sanity. Not when he had already had to keep the boys from taking apart two hover-skifts, the room?s comm unit, and generally kept them from killing themselves, each other and the rest of the station. There had been many hours of meditation. He couldn?t understand why Rayn hadn?t had any problems. Remembering Obi-Wan?s return from his last time ?helping? Rayn?s crew he shuddered. She probably had the hyperactive duo doing things that he didn?t want to know about. The boy had been covered head to boots in grease, grim, and sweat. Knowing her she had probably dipped Obi-Wan in a bucket of dirty lubricate and considered it just compensation. The major repairs had finished with a day to spare, and the rest of her crew and friends had gone already.

And not too soon. The promised transportation was due today sometime. Master Yoda hadn?t been able to give him a firm estimate. All the little troll would say was that it was detouring off another assignment. Better than waiting a week for a ship from Coruscant, but still. When Yoda avoided a topic it usually meant that the ancient Jedi had something planned. Manipulative little troll.

I really don?t want to know what the devious green one had planned. He sighed. I almost feel sorry for who ever it is. The boys were saying their goodbyes, talking to anyone they could get to listen or answer a question.

Rayn hadn?t said how she was going to handle the situation. It would look weird if a new Jedi suddenly showed up the same time Tisiphone disappeared. Bruck was still dressed in his crew clothing and his hair and eyes the changed colors. Too many details. Too many lies.

The buzzer stopped his pacing. A flash of self pity. What had the boys done now? The thought ran through his mind. Rayn was found of pointing out that since both boys were Jedi they were really his responsibility not hers. He was beginning to hate her logic.
    The door opened before he could reach it and Xanatos stared in shock. Jade eyes cool and distant watched him intently. As she walked the items braided into the hundreds of tiny braid jingled. Her skin pale and perfect.

The only hint of Rayn was the hint of laughter through their bond.

Posture, dress, attitude. Nothing was of the woman he knew, but the Captain he was getting to know. Loose black pants were neatly bloused out in scuffed black boots with their tarnished silver buckles. The white shirt was neatly tucked into the pants. But it was coat she wore that intrigued him.

More form fitting than a Jedi cloak, it had some similarities. A deep hood hung down her back, and while the sleeves were designed to allow the arm full movement, the cuffs tied to keep them from slipping over the hands. There were differences. Where the cloak was designed to be easily removed, her coat looked to fasten snuggly against her chest, and the buttons stopped at the wait letting flair out. The material itself he couldn?t tell from just looking, but the matte black fabric looked to be some sort of light armor. Functional, practical, and well thought out. Ready for action, battle or command. Amused jade eyes laughed at him, before settling into a cold disregard. He wondered who had designed it.

?Master Jedi De?Crion?? She asked. Her voice was a bite of winter wind on Hoth.

?Captain Tisiphone.? He said with a bow.

She smiled wirily. ?Both are titles Master Jedi. Either will do.?

?Might I have your name Captain, for our records and formality??

?Isis Donavan. You asked to see me?? A touch of Outrim accent.

?The transport will be arriving soon. I had

10. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I'm really starting to enjoy the relationships you are developing between these four. I can't wait to see what type of trouble they all manage to get themselves into! :D

11. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Good posts!

I liked these parts:

The Force sung around the boy and the Master found that he could just not hold on to his irritation.

Sabers flashed, sapphire and green. Sparks danced in the cold corridor. Ivy eyes looking up at his in the light of his saber at her throat. The eyes held resignation and acceptance of her fate

She looked like hell. Dark hair hung in knotted lengths. Her eyes were sunken and dark circles under her eyes told of unending exhaustion. It was apparent something was wrong.

creature of anger and hatred. Wrapped in darkness and secrecy. A memory of someone?s mind. Behind it pure darkness and evil

Two figures battled in the dark. One with two blade, the other with one. The room shook around them. The force twisted reality and the blade cut through metal with ease.

12. Bekah_K

Sep 3, 2002
    A makeshift family - surrogate mom, dad, and the kids. Love the interaction.

Bet Xan didn't realize Obi could get into so much trouble, or be such a large handful, with a friend, - of his age - around. :D

~Bek

13. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    obi_ew: Thanks, and knowing the four of them I?ll just have to say wait and see.
    Keeper_of_Swords: Thanks
    Bekah_K: No I don?t think Xan though about that part.

There was no mistaking three of the Jedi who waited for them. His former Master waited with serene patience and calm expression. De?valin watched everything, his glacier blue eyes moving relentlessly taking everything. Serest, didn?t seemed too surprised to see Xanatos leading two boys and a civilian. The fourth wore the sash of the Healer?s order, and wasn?t one he was familiar with.

The two that knew them best and one that could find a secret in a room full of lies. The Force has a sick sense of humor.

The two boys to his left, they bowed formally. Hands still behind his back he signed a question.

?Jedi know Isis??

She stepped forward to stand by his side. The movement natural and confident. A single tap on his hand as she passed ?no.?

/Is life ever fair Master?/ Obi-wan asked with a sigh.

/No my little troublebringer. Though this better be a fast ship. As it is we face a week and a half in a small ship with those three and Rayn in an interesting mood. What do you think our chances are of escaping unscathed?./

/Patience is a virtue and hate leads to the Darkside./

/Somehow I foresee much meditation./

They boarded, Xanatos leading. Isis stood back allowing them their reunion.

?Master, De?valin, Knight Serest.? Xanatos greeted them ?Thanks for picking us up.?

The long haired master just smiled. ?Nice to see you in one piece. Hello Obi-Wan.?

The surprise of his master and his padawan brother was a balm to his irritated nerves. I?m not the only one. He cheered himself I knew Yoda was hiding something, I just didn?t think he?d be hiding something from everyone. He?d probably say it was good for our systems or something.

?Initiate Chun.? Master Jinn greeting stepping forward.

Xanatos?s eyes narrowed as a sharp, and unfortunately fleeting dark emotion skittered across his senses. Anger?

?Yes sir.? Was the phlegmatic response.

?Xanatos.? Qui-Gon growled.

Xanatos raised his hands to ward off the glare of his former master. ?It?s not my fault your former master has a twisted sense of humor.?

Jinn just sighed and Xanatos remember his manners and his part to play. ?This is Captain Donavan.? He introduced Isis with a beckoning gesture. When she was close enough he placed a supportive hand on her shoulder. ?Isis and her crew were the ones to rescue Bruck. She was also in command of the task force that captured Pela.?

?A pleasure to meet you Captain.? Master Jinn bowed. ?Thank you for bringing one of ours home.?

?A pleasure Master Jedi.? Isis returned the bow with a regal or rather in Xanatos?s opinion authoritative nod. ?I do hope that my presence is not burdensome.? Xanatos felt goose bumps every time he heard her speak.

?Not al all Captain.? De?valin interjected. ?A trip to Coruscant and back is the least we can do as a small repayment for what you have done for us.? Xanatos heard the curiosity in his padawan brother?s tone.

?Let me show you to your rooms.? Qui-Gon said looking at his first padawan.

?Shall we get this show on the road??

Tradition had it that an apprentice carried their master?s bags. Xanatos quipped grabbing the heavier of his bags before Obi-wan could take it. Obi-wan took the rest of Xanatos?s and his own, grumbling at his master in mock annoyance.

?If we must.? De?valin sighed taking Isis?s bag.

Xanatos felt the laughter rising. Qui-Gon looked at him oddly and Xanatos just waved him off. It wasn?t something he wanted to share yet.

Serest went forward to the pilot?s chair and the rest to their rooms. It was going to be a long trip.

It took them a day to get settled and comfortable. Isis, Xanatos noted spent her time in the common room or her rooms. The transport was a smaller version had rooms for everyone to have their

14. Bekah_K

Sep 3, 2002
    I think they suspect something about Isis. :)

Wonder what Yoda has up his sleeve. :confused:

~Bek

15. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Loved Obi-Wan and Bruck's attempts to pawn their veggies off on Xan! Too funny! [face_laugh]

16. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    Bekah_K: there is just no fooling some people :)
    obi_ew: Thanks

De?valin watched them leave with a slight smile. He had never heard of Isis Donavan, but now that he had seen her, there was no question. As she walked the coins and charms braided into her hair chimed together. She was shielding and doing a very impressive job of camouflaging her true signature. But he could tell. The bond between them had never been cut, and no matter how much she tried, Rayn would never truly be able to shield out her master. She could keep her emotions, her thoughts, and the exact location of her presence all to herself. On a crowded planet she might have even been able to remain undetected, but on a small ship, with a bunch of Jedi. He shook his head. Talk about arrogant.

Each of the bronze and copper charms had drawn his eye. From the stalking panther on the braid behind her right ear to the small Tarni pennies on the little leather tongs, he knew them.

?Something wrong De?valin??

His former master looked at him with amused eyes.

?No, not at all.? De?valin replied. ?What do you think of the captain??

A sly grin. ?She?s interesting. Dedicated to her work. Commanding, charismatic, almost compelling.?

?True.? They both shared a smile. Now they understood some of the strange instructions and comments of the Council. From Yoda?s caution to look beyond the obvious you will; to Adi?s required bug inspection.

?I have to say that I?m impressed.? Qui-Gon admitted. ?A little annoyed, that they didn?t trust us, but impressed. You?ve done well.?

?I don?t know how much I actually had to do with it. Rayn raised herself for the most part.?

Serious blue eyes studied him for a moment. ?I?m sure Rayn would have something to say about that statement.?

?A lot probably.? He looked back up the hall. Serest had disappeared into the Cockpit once dinner was over. It was strange, his once best friend had become so distant over the last year or two, now they hardly saw each other, even if both were in the temple at the same time.

Giving Xanatos and his horde some time to get started they followed at a leisurely pace. A peaceful silent descended, finally they were all together.

They stepped into chaos. Soft balls of all colors and sizes were flying every which way, so orbiting the two still boys, some making erratic ellipses around the room. They stood at opposite ends of the large room and De?valin could see the sweat rolling off of Obi-Wan?s face. That didn?t seem to bother them. They had identical glints of determination, and huge smiles. Xanatos and Isis were not silent either, each called encouragement to the boys, both equally which teasing the other. Xanatos was supporting his padawan, but what surprising was that Isis was supporting Bruck unwaveringly.

Concentrating De?valin could almost feel something between her and the boy, tenuous and faint it was almost as if. He shook his head. She wouldn?t have. A grin threatened to break his stoic demeanor. That was something else he would have to talk to her about, at length.

It seemed a variation on an old exercise, each boy had to keep their balls in the air. It seemed that they had added several other criteria as well. Each ball had to remain moving, and they had to attempt to hit their opponent. Laughter and cheers meet each attempt. Even if they missed most of the time it was still an impressive display of skill on the boys parts and deviousness on the creator. Tactics, force control, manipulation, and concentration. Impressive. Captain Donavan lounged on the next bench shouting her own encouragement to the two.

Evidently Xanatos had gotten tire of being derided in front of his own apprentice. A large soft ball bounced off the side of her head.

The room froze. Even the balls still hanging in midair stopped their rotation.

Fluidly she rose from her seat. Striding forward she came to stop just in front of Xanatos hand on her hips. With her back to them De?valin couldn?

17. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Sweet moment. :)

18. Bekah_K

Sep 3, 2002
    A form of mush! I liked it! :D

?Good to hear him laugh again.? Qui-Gon said.

I guess Xan hasn't had much to smile or laugh about during the years Rayn has been gone, other than Obi-Wan's antics.

Nice job!

~Bek

19. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] :p :p :p :p :p

Edit: Is Serest the bad guy?

20. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    obi_ew: Thanks
    Bekah_K: I sneak it in where I can
    jacen200015: Maybe? :)

Once again thanks to all my readers.

Xanatos just laid there. Still breathless from the unprovoked attack by his traitorous padawan he just stared at the tearing jade eyes. Every time their eyes met it would send them both into paroxysm of laughter. Almost Perfect. His sense of his padawan was a flame, bright in his mind, full of laughter, his former master lurked nearby, probably close, but the solid calm he had always associated with Qui-Gon was a blame all in its own. Grounded and unmoving. De?valin?s presence was too a gift, like a cool breeze on a hot day. All the people he cared most about where here including ?

He narrowed his eyes. The faint touch to his mind, and the jade colored innocent gaze. /One really annoying, sneaky pain in my-/ Laughter exploded from both of them once again.

It stunned him and humbled Xanatos to feel their bond so close. He only knew of one, maybe two now, that Rayn allowed this close in her mind. Behind the walls and the shields, the masks and the mirrors. His heart-sister was a fragile thing here in the core of herself. So hidden, obscuring herself in the shadows. He could feel the thoughts trickling in her mind. That she deserved to be hidden, that she needed to remain on the outside.

How well he knew those feelings.

/Two sides of the same coin Xanatos./ Her mind twisted and turned. He knew it well, his mind was a labyrinth or a fortress.

/They are here, we can trust them, our masters./

/Yes./ Her response was unhesitating and sure, though nestled in it a hint of reservation.
    /What is it that bothers you so?/ The years taking care of Obi-Wan and being taken care of by him had opened his battered heart, and had shored up the fragile areas. Maybe, hopefully Bruck would do the same for her.

/Our clan is one thing. Family, tied and bound by the Force, but also love and friendship./ If Rayn was making logical and philosophical arguments her conclusions were going to shock him. /But that can?t be said for all the Jedi./

Unspoken, yet interwoven in the though was the yellow-orange of doubt and uncertainty. When had this happened? How had she learned doubt?

/Tell me please./ Xanatos felt her hesitation.

/Serest./ A jumble of feelings, emotions, doubt, confusion.

/You don?t trust him, but you don?t know why you don?t./

Blinking her eyes several times she moved the contacts off her irises.

/Watching you do that makes my eyes itch./ Their close contact allowed him to feel the rumble of laughter.

/Focus./ She teased. /It?s just that Serest-/

/Is your Master?s close friend./

/And yours?/

Thinking about it Serest was a friend, of sorts. More than an acquaintance, but not one of the close circle. Someone he could banter with, someone that could see that dark humor and not wonder. But more that that Xanatos was not so sure.

/ Trust your feeling is about the only advice I can give./ Their thoughts and feelings echoing between them. On instinct he distanced himself to check her shields with a gentle fore probe. Interesting. To all intents and purposes she still felt like Isis, with negligible talent and no training. Here joined to her mind like he was he could feel the pulse of force energy, the ever presence song of it in her mind.

He could also sense both Master Jinn and De?valin watching and the disappearing sense of the boys.

/Care to explain?/ Through the remains of the training bond, something Xanatos used to ignore, he heard his master?s thoughts quite clearly. Sighing he disentangled himself from Rayn?s long limbs. Looking at his former Master it was hard to keep the slight smile off his face.

/Not my place?/ He said with a slight nod in the direction of the woman who was looking up at them with wide eyes.

/That?s a first./ De?valin interjected weaving himself into their conversation. ?You?ll be interested to note that we did spend

21. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Wow! Things just keep getting darker and darker here! :eek: It will be interesting to see who is behind this new drug and why.

22. Bekah_K

Sep 3, 2002
    Yeah, they're all together again. :)

/A drug. Still in development that would permanently separate a force sensitive with their ability to use the Force./

Not good!

~Bek

23. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    obi_ew: Thanks, I hope it will be as fun of a ride to read and it is to write.
    Bekah_K: Very not good. :)

Note: The Kata scene was written while listening to Schubert?s rendition of Ave Maria, it is one of the most glorious pieces of music I know.

Xanatos?s sleep was sporadic that night. He would drifted down into the comfort of sleep only to be jerked up again. By the fifth time, it was tiresome, by the tenth he gave up. Pulling on a pair of leggings and an undertunic he grabbed his lightsaber and headed to the workout area.

Exhaustion nipped at his heels the entire way, he couldn?t understand why he couldn?t sleep, just that it was not going to happen.

He entered the room and saw that it was already occupied. Even in the low light he recognize Rayn?s distinctive aura. Enhancing his vision he watched her. Dressed in only a pair of workout pants and a form-fitting undershirt. Her bare feet struck the mat with precision and total silence. She could fight in full uniform and kit, the training masters had seen to that, but Xanatos knew she preferred the simplest and least amount when she practiced.

As he watched tears welled in his eyes. Unarmed she moved fluidly, no sound from her footsteps as she spun slowly. Her eyes closed he was certain she was lost in the music in her mind. A leap, the Force held her twirling form high in the air, and ever so slowly descending again. Turning her arms, she moved languidly, unhesitatingly. This was no longer just a kata. A prayer, a benediction, performed with nothing more than her body and her total trust in the Force.

Elemental, a form they had once performed together. Alone she danced. The undulation of her body spoke of oceans. The movement of her arms, the kiss of the wind. Tentatively touching her mind, he felt her welcome and her joy. Stepping in a the beginning of the next part, he flawlessly joined the dance. Fire, to her air. Earth to her water. There was nothing between them but the Force. Their shields lowered he could hear that eternal music, and he knew she was seeing the spectrum of colors of the dance. The final set, they leaped again, the ceiling here to low for the full movement. Suspended it was nothing more than stillness, nothing less than total trust in the Force and their partner. There was nothing in her mind of fear, not of him or the Force. To her, neither had ever let her down. The simple truth was freeing and placed a weight on his heart. Such simply thing to others, the basis of self to Rayn.

A chill lifted the hairs on the back of his neck. Her eyes snapped open. Rayn fell. He caught her adroitly and gently lowered her to the ground.

?What happened?? he asked. She starred through him. Those violet eyes grabbed his. The ship rocked. Both Jedi picked up on the erratic sound of the hyperspace engines.

They ran. Qui-Gon and De?valin met them in the common room. Another shudder and they felt the ship drop suddenly from hyperspace. Nausea gripped Xanatos?s stomach. The inertial dampeners did much to soften the transition, but it was so violent that even with their Jedi training they were thrown off balance.

Obi-wan and Bruck both flew into the room, expressions serene, but Xanatos felt Obi-Wan?s uncertainty and he placed a steadying hand on the boy?s shoulder. Sending his support through their bond. Obi-Wan closed his eyes, Xanatos felt the conflicting emotions of the boy and the Jedi Obi-wan wanted to be.

Bruck ran into the welcoming arms of his master. Memories and fear tripping around him like a hurricane. Ignoring everything but the boy, Rayn gathered him in her arms and soothed away the edge, allowing his control. A pleased smile flittered across Rayn?s face. It vanished as the common room door hissed open.

Serest came from the cockpit his expression closed. ?The hyperdrive malfunctioned.?

?Any idea what caused it?? Master Qui-Gon asked. The brown haired knight just shook his head.

?Not yet.? A yawn interrupted his words.

24. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    After much thought and looking over the section posted and written, I've decided to take some time and rewrite this. It just doesn't seemed to be going where I want it to. I'll repost when it is back on track. Thanks to all for their responsed and reviews. Sorry about not getting it right the first time.

25. Seraphena

Jul 20, 2003
    Thought I'd posted it, up it didn't go to the top. Oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.