main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Redemption of the Exiles - Revised Edition - Complete 3/25 (Dap, OCs, Luke, Kyle Katarn, Rogues)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lane_Winree, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Star Wars: Redemption of the Exiles
    Part Two of the Darvix Zorvan trilogy

Timeframe: 18-27 ABY

Disclaimer: Nope, don't own Star Wars. Wish I did, though. The Star Wars universe belongs to George Lucas. The Knights of the Old Republic plotlines belong to Lucasarts, Bioware, and Obsidian. Characters appearing in this fic but not belonging to myself or George Lucas are property of Michael A. Stackpole, Aaron Allston, and Timothy Zahn.

A Note From the Author: Some of you may recognize this fic. Redemption of the Exiles is the sequel to X-Wing: Rise of a Rogue and is a continuation of the story arc surrounding original character Darvix Zorvan. Similar to what I did with RoaR, I will be posting a edited, revised chapter of Redemption every Monday-Friday until it's finished.

While Rise of a Rogue serves as the backstory to Darvix's character, it is not necessary to read that fic first. If you wish to jump straight into Redemption, you can do that! Should you have any questions, feel free to ask in a comment or send me a PM.

Redemption of the Exiles is a Jedi-centric tale that focuses on the storylines brought up in the Knights of the Old Republic video games and comics. This fic is an adventure that aims to explain what happened to Darth Revan and the Jedi Exile by uncovering clues hidden for nearly four thousand years.

As always, if you'd like to know what I'm up to in the fic writing world or get a glimpse into my various fandom musings, you can hit me up on my LiveJournal or follow me on Twitter with @LaneWinree.

~Lane

~*~

Dramatis Personae

Crew of the "Tatooine Gallows"
    Jedi Master Darvix "Dap" Zorvan (Captain)
    Jedi Knight Kasari Lisae (First Officer)
    Vikan "Vik" Kelrune (Astrogation)
    Zone (Darvix's R2 unit)

With the Jedi Academy
    Jedi Master Luke Skywalker
    Jedi Master Kyle Katarn

With the New Republic
    General Wedge Antilles (Rogue Squadron CO)

Smugglers
    Talon Karrde (Captain of the Wild Karrde)
    Booster Terrik (Captain of the Errant Venture)
    Mirax Terrik-Horn (Captain of the Pulsar Skate)
    Mara Jade (Captain of the Jade's Fire)

Other persons of note
    Anya Darklighter

PM List
    -------
    Ceillean
    Luna_Nightshade

2. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Prologue
    Yavin IV - The Jedi Praxeum

"Stretch out with the Force," Luke Skywalker said. "Feel where the remote is and move accordingly."

"Easy enough for you to say," The young apprentice said. "At least you can see this damn flying ball of scrap when you practice."

"Center yourself," Luke chided. "Your eyes deceive you; feel its movements instead of trying to see it."

The apprentice gritted his teeth as he thumbed on his lightsaber. "I suppose being completely blind has its perks while training with the Force."

As he raised his blade, he stretched out with the Force, trying to pinpoint where the spherical remote was in relation to his blade. He tried to listen for the soft whirring of the object, reorienting his body. Each time, he would feebly spin and position his blade, only to find the Remote was a split second ahead of his actions. He cursed as the sting of the Remote's low-powered laser caught his leg.

"Clear your thoughts," Luke said. "You cannot become in tune with the Force while you are frustrated and angry."

Sighing, the apprentice raised his lightsaber so the blade was parallel with his body. He slowly breathed in, holding the lungful of air as he tried to find the "center" that alluded him so often. Skywalker had told him on numerous occasions that he was too head-strong and impatient. Those attributes would prevent him from fully controlling his ability with the Force. As his mind began to focus, he could feel the Force surrounding him, becoming clearer. Suddenly, through the blackness that lived with him constantly since his accident, he spotted the outline of the Remote. It wasn't much, simply a faint flicker of light against perpetual darkness.

It was the Force, replacing the vision he had lost.

Immediately, he spun towards the image he had seen in his mind's eye, positioning his blade just as the remote fired. He heard a sizzling sound as he lightsaber deflected the shot towards the ceiling.

"Good," Luke said. "Do you understand now? When you are at peace, you can feel through the Force. You can see through it."

"Lovely," the apprentice said sourly. "I suppose this means that one day I can walk around the Academy without a guidance droid holding my hand like some pathetic child."

"One day you will be able to see again," Luke replied, "but only if you can remain at peace with yourself. That is why you fell to the Dark Side, why you were seduced by its quick promises of self-gratification. The Dark Side is powerful, but when you are in tune with the Force, you will be able to accomplish tasks such as this."

"Deflecting remote fire with a lightsaber?" the apprentice asked. "No offense, Skywalker, but that won't do me much good?other than winning bets in cantinas."

"Yes, small things such as this," Skywalker said in turn, "but if you can use the Force to do this, imagine what you can accomplish once you are ready to truly call upon its powers. This may seem trivial to you now, but one day you will understand fully what you can do when you are in tune with the Force."

Prior to his arrival at the Academy, he had never cared much for dates on the calendar, but now it was one of the few things that could take his mind off of the past. If he was correct, it had been two years since he had arrived at the Jedi Academy for instruction, six months since his first lesson with Master Skywalker and that infernal remote.

Two years since the rage-driven duel that cost him his eyesight.

As he stepped off the shuttle ramp, he could feel the world around him was oppressively hot and humid, the jungle climate that he had grown somewhat accustomed to. That must have meant he was finally back on Yavin IV, home of the great Luke Skywalker's Jedi Academy. It was his only home; the last place in the Galaxy where he was accepted. Perhaps not so much accepted as simply "allowed to reside without penalty of being run off." In reality, he didn't care about the fact that he was the perpetual pariah of the Academy. He had a place to stay, a place to sleep, and food to eat. It was more than he cou

3. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Chapter One ? Methods of Madness

Darvix Zorvan slung his towel over his shoulder as he stepped out of one of the Academy's large training halls. By this point, he should have known that "new training exercises" equated to "new forms of cruel and unusual punishment." For the last hour, Skywalker had drilled him in new forms of lightsaber dueling technique. As good as he felt he was with a blade, it was nothing compared to that of Master Skywalker. Training sessions with him were as grueling as any drill he had gone through at the Starfighter Academy years ago.

"What's the matter, Zorvan?" someone asked from behind him. "You look a little winded."

"Winded is an understatement," Darvix replied. "I hold you personally responsible for my current anguish, Katarn."

Master Kyle Katarn, one of the more interesting personalities Darvix had ever met. He was a former Imperial Stormtrooper turned Alliance (and then Republic) intelligence hero. Katarn had discovered his Jedi heritage while in service with the Rebel Alliance and joined Skywalker's Jedi Academy nearly a decade later. Since then, he became one of the most respected Jedi of the new Order, earning himself the rank of Jedi Master. Despite his success as a Jedi, Katarn was one of the more unorthodox members of the Academy. His style was laid back and informal, a refreshing change from the usual up-tight students of the academy.

"How long have you been here?" Katarn asked. "At the Praxeum, I mean."

"About two years," Darvix replied. "Why?"

"You're a Jedi Knight, not another student here," Kyle replied. "Don't you think it's strange that Skywalker hasn't given you any work yet?"

"I'm not complaining," Darvix said with a shrug. "Free food, free housing, and I can ritualistically haze all the apprentices all I want."

"You know, you have exceptionally low standards for yourself."

"The way I see it, I'm never disappointed with my performance."

Darvix thought it was obvious as to why he had never received an assignment of any importance from Skywalker. During his time at the Academy, he had never bothered to hide the fact that he had fallen to the Dark Side of the Force, furthering his image of being one of the most polarizing figures at the Praxeum. Well, at least Kyp Durron was happy he was here. There was another member of the 'fell to the Dark Side' club.

"Skywalker is convinced he can make something out of you," Katarn said, breaking Darvix's train of thought.

"Shocking," Darvix replied. "He hasn't broken into my spice supply, has he?"

He never bothered to hide the fact that he was a blatant spice addict, either. It wasn't a very Jedi-like thing, an addiction to illegal drugs. Then again, very little about Darvix was Jedi-like. He often professed that he was "Just a guy with a lightsaber and an annoying little connection to the Force."

"It boggles my mind," Katarn said. "Antilles told me you were one of the most dedicated pilots he ever had. Either he was lying to get rid of you, or he was hallucinating the entire time you served under him."

"Nah, he just paid me better than you and Skywalker. Either that or he got into my spice supply, too."

Prior to his arrival at the Jedi Academy, he had served under the illustrious General Wedge Antilles as a pilot in his famed Rogue Squadron. In his three year career in Starfighter Command, he had made strong inroads into establishing an unassuming but solid career for himself. What had changed since then? Even Darvix couldn't provide a solid answer. Perhaps losing his vision and falling into the Dark Side had changed him for the worse. Perhaps he had always been a miserable, callous nerf-herder but had been hiding it behind a mask.

"Jedi Zorvan?" a female voice said from his side. "Master Skywalker wishes to see you."

"Again?" Darvix asked. "I just left the training hall."

"He's waiting for you in his chambers," she replied.

Sighing, he waved her off and continued walking, making sure to deliberately plant his foot heavily atop of hers in the process.

"Oops," Darvix said half-heartedly. "Sorry about that, t

4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    So excited about his! Gimme my pilot Jedi!

DP thoughts:

:raises brow:

Squeeeeee!

Smugglers
    Talon Karrde (Captain of the Wild Karrde)
    Booster Terrik (Captain of the Errant Venture)
    Mirax Terrik-Horn (Captain of the Pulsar Skate)
    Mara Jade (Captain of the Jade's Fire)

Double Squee!!!!

Chapter 1:

I love Jedi Academy stuff. It's too bad I hate the JAT. :( At least there's I, Jedi to make it all better!

And boy do I love seeing Luke channel Obi-Wan Kenobi.

"You cannot become in tune with the Force while you are frustrated and angry."

Now where have I heard something like that before? :D

"Yes, small things such as this," Skywalker said in turn, "but if you can use the Force to do this, imagine what you can accomplish once you are ready to truly call upon its powers. This may seem trivial to you now, but one day you will understand fully what you can do when you are in tune with the Force."

Yes, yes, to Skywalker you listen!

In reality, he didn't care about the fact that he was the perpetual pariah of the Academy.

Even moreso than Kyp Durron? :D

To him, the Force wasn't everything. It simply was another tool to add to his arsenal.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, Dap. Luke said that Corran's strengths as a Jedi stemmed from his other strengths. And Luke is always strongest when he's using his brain and physical strength along with the Force.

"Please identify yourself," the droid said.

"Jabba the Hutt," he said.

"Error," the droid replied, "no such name in database, please try again."

Sighing, he decided to cooperate.

"Darvix Zorvan," he said.

[face_laugh]

Chapter 2:

As good as he felt he was with a blade, it was nothing compared to that of Master Skywalker.

Well, DUH. (Please excuse me a moment while I go squee.

SQUEE.

And continuing with the review.)

His style was laid back and informal, a refreshing change from the usual up-tight students of the academy.

Aww, they're not all uptight. ;)

Well, at least Kyp Durron was happy he was here. There was another member of the 'fell to the Dark Side' club.

They should have a 12 step meeting!

And they do realize that Luke would be an honorary member of that club, right? :p

He never bothered to hide the fact that he was a blatant spice addict, either.

Well THAT can't be good. Way to go, Fel.

"Obviously he keeps me around for my rear end. It's like having a nice painting in the lobby."

Well Dap is quite the snarker, isn't he?

"Easy, Artoo," Luke chided. "He didn't mean to bump into you, at least this time."

Yay, Artoo!

oh pride of the biggest desert wasteland in the galaxy

:p

Skywalker, if I'm not mistaken, isn't that redhead you're so infatuated with working for Karrde?"

Ahahahahaaha

(BTW, when does this story take place? Do we get to see the aftermath of VOTF in here? :D )

"Her name is Mara Jade, and there is nothing going on between us. Unfortunately she is busy with other matters and won't be able to work on this one

Other matters = Lando Calrissian?

It wasn't that he was afraid of piloting a craft anymore, he was afraid of confronting part of his past. This meant he would finally have to leave his comfortable world of darkness.

Ahh, this was a really nice analogy.
    Kyle watched Darvix walk out, shaking his head before looking to Luke. "Is this his test?"

Luke nodded. "He's already proven he can be a moderately effective Jedi. This will show us if he's ready to become an effective teacher."

"If he passes," Kyle asked, "does that mean you're finally going to tell him?"

"We'll see," Luke said.

TELL HIM WHAT?!

I'm really liking this story so far. You have a very different voice for Dap already, and you can tell that your writing has i

5. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    :D Yay, here we go again! :D

Gee, Darvix is just a shiny beam of sunlight and warmth, isn't he? :p

BTW, one silly question - What's the timeframe in this fic? (I'm a little lost in time here) --- Oh, got it!

"If he passes," Kyle asked, "does that mean you're finally going to tell him?"

"We'll see," Luke said.

Tell him what? - Oh, wait, Nanci has asked this already - but, seriously, tell him what?

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes Darvix being able to see:) and nice to see Kyle Katarn being in this story.

Nice beginning=D=

7. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Loving this! Dap is so funny. [face_laugh] Sarcastic, witty and a cynic. What else could you possibly want?

And you leave us with a cliffie.

Are you keeping a PM list? If so, mind sending out PM's when you udpate? ;)

8. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Nanci

:raises brow:

Weellll, let's put it this way. Luke figures out a rather creative, forceful way to tap into Dap's strengths to get him off his ass and do something useful.

Squeeeeee!

I figured you'd enjoy that one :D

I love Jedi Academy stuff. It's too bad I hate the JAT. At least there's I, Jedi to make it all better!

A fair chunk of this fic takes place at the Academy. Later on it shifts to more of a galaxy-wide adventure, but to start much of it is at the praxeum :)

And boy do I love seeing Luke channel Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Oh me too :D

Yes, yes, to Skywalker you listen!

Yeah, I'd give that a shot Dap. Things didn't go so well when you ignored your last Jedi mentor.

-- In reality, he didn't care about the fact that he was the perpetual pariah of the Academy.

Even moreso than Kyp Durron?

He and Kyp are neck-and-neck :p

That's not necessarily a bad thing, Dap. Luke said that Corran's strengths as a Jedi stemmed from his other strengths. And Luke is always strongest when he's using his brain and physical strength along with the Force.

That's really the backbone of Dap's personal Jedi philosophy. The Force is more of a supplement, not a primary weapon.

Aww, they're not all uptight.

Just most of them :p

They should have a 12 step meeting!

"Hello. My name is Darvix and I fell to the dark side."

"Hello, Darvix."

And they do realize that Luke would be an honorary member of that club, right?

We don't speak of those shenanigans :p

Well THAT can't be good. Way to go, Fel.

This is your brain. This is your brain on spice.

Well Dap is quite the snarker, isn't he?

Ooohhh you have no idea :D

(BTW, when does this story take place? Do we get to see the aftermath of VOTF in here? )

Let's see, Redemption takes place from about 18-27 ABY. Part of it will intersect with VotF, and you may get to see some aftermath here. It wasn't originally in the fic, but I'm looking for a good spot to drop at least a mention of it :D

Other matters = Lando Calrissian?

Oh good heavens, no!

TELL HIM WHAT?!

Patience! Patience I say! :D

I'm really liking this story so far. You have a very different voice for Dap already, and you can tell that your writing has improved a lot from RoaR (not that it was bad back then, of course). How long ago did you write this, BTW?

Aww thank you :)

Part of the reason that Dap's voicing has changed is because there's a two-year gap between the end of Rise of a Rogue and this post. He's had some time to reflect over what happened to him and, well, he's become rather bitter. The somewhat innocent, wide-eyed boy has been replaced by a somewhat broken, jaded man.

As for when I started this? If I look at the original document, it says May 27, 2006. Last modified March 23, 2008. So, I started writing this about a year after I started Rise of a Rogue. I think I was seventeen? Maybe eighteen.

I do remember being somewhat annoyed that it took me nearly two years to finish it *grumble*

Glad you enjoyed this first little bit. I actually forgot how long this was! Some of the chapters push 13 or so pages. [face_doh]

Hazel

Yay, here we go again!

Strap in for the whacky hijinks of our favorite misanthrope, Dap Zorvan :D

Gee, Darvix is just a shiny beam of sunlight and warmth, isn't he?

And he only gets snarkier from here on out :p

BTW, one silly question - What's the timeframe in this fic? (I'm a little lost in time here) --- Oh, got it!

Yeah, late 18/early 19 ABY to 27 ABY. Covers a bit of ground :D

Tell him what? - Oh, wait, Nanci has asked this already - but, seriously, tell him what?

You shall see :D

earlybird - Kyle's always been a favorite character of mine. I'm always looking for opportunities to use him :D

Ceillean

Loving this! Dap is so funny. Sarcastic,

9. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Chapter Two
    The Misanthrope and the Musician

Kasari Lisae could hardly keep her excitement contained.

When Master Skywalker had informed her that she had been selected to accompany a Jedi Knight into the field, she simply said that the task was an honor to her. Deep within her, however, she was ecstatic to finally be tested in the field. She was close to finally attaining the rank of Jedi Knight, and she knew it. With any luck, this would finally push her over the top. Until then, she would have to find the Jedi who selected her and properly thank him.

She stopped in front of one of the single-occupant dormitory rooms, reserved for Jedi Knights. The plate above the door read "221B," and below it the occupant's name, "Darvix Zorvan." That was the Jedi Master Skywalker summoned earlier, she said to herself. He seemed to have been an odd man, but she couldn't quite place her finger on exactly what was wrong with him. No matter, that could wait for another day. Smiling to herself, she keyed the door-chime.

Darvix found himself lost in thought as his fingers gracefully worked over the keys of his grand keybed, an instrument he learned to play years ago. Before he fled his home world of Nar Shaddaa, he had trained to become a musician. There was a point in time where he had enjoyed performing for others, but those days were long behind him. Now he played to distract himself from the galaxy around him, and when that didn't work ?

He sighed to himself and rubbed his temples. His mind was a mess off thoughts thanks to his meeting with Skywalker. Wedge had summoned him for help, to fight another battle that wasn't his to fight. Darvix had left Rogue Squadron for good two years earlier and he had no intentions of returning to face his former squad mates. Unfortunately, those intentions didn't matter at this point. He had a task to accomplish, but the task would require him to do something he had avoiding for a long time.

After the Republic's success at the Bilbringi system over Reyov Naolin's fleet, Darvix found himself in a bacta tank. In a fit of rage, he had tailed an Imperial pilot to the planet's surface, downing his ship. The pilot had survived the wreck, but Darvix was determined to end his life there. He landed and approached the pilot, but just as he was about to strike down the Imperial with his lightsaber, he was confronted by his mentor, a Jedi and Rogue named Corran Horn.

Darvix had been consumed by the Dark Side, feeling the need to slay the pilot for personal revenge, but Horn wouldn't allow it. Darvix could vaguely remember what had happened during the duel with Horn, but one detail always emerged to haunt him. As he lost his balance, Corran's lightsaber came at his face, slicing through his cybernetic eyes and leaving him completely blind.

Darvix shook his head. He was thinking too much of the past and it was starting to bother him. He often told himself that his life was a mess as it was; thinking about the past would only throw him into a faster tailspin. As he tried to refocus on the instrument in front of him, he found that his thoughts were too jumbled. He couldn't seem to get his fingers to cooperate with him. Suddenly he found himself at a point where music wouldn't take his mind off of his thoughts. He stretched out with the Force, searching for a case that held what he was looking for. He 'saw' it lying atop the keybed, right where he had left it.

He opened the case and withdrew a vial of clear liquid as well as an epidermic syringe. Hastily, he filled the syringe with the fluid, exceeding the dosage that most would consider "safe." Darvix lifted up his shirt sleeve and thrust the needle into his arm, depressing the plunger to inject the fluid into his system. He let out a soft sigh as, almost immediately, the illegal Spice began to kick into his system. The familiar mild euphoria the Spice provided pushed his troublesome thoughts to the back of his mind, allowing him to finally relax.

It was just at that moment the door-chime rang. Darvix cursed and stood up, walking to the

10. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I like this--I like how Darvix feels a little bit like "House," and his new eyesight coming back. Looking forward to his interactions with the Rogue Squadron. PM's please?

11. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Kasari is in for the ride of her young life :p

"You have to be blind, deaf, and dumb not to hear about his antics," Luke replied with a shrug.

And stranded on a deserted planet... and not have the Force...

It's very rare to find someone who has managed to regenerate their own optic nerves. Typically, that is a problem that even bacta cannot fix.

A little Force help there?

His mind yelled at him to put his emotions in check, but for the first time in what seemed like an eternity, a faint glimmer of happiness emerged within him.

Easy, Dap, he said to himself. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Yeah, Dap, you don't want to fell lighter now. Just get back to the bottom of the pit.

12. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Luke figures out a rather creative, forceful way to tap into Dap's strengths to get him off his ass and do something useful.

Oh, I love it when Luke is devious. :)

--And they do realize that Luke would be an honorary member of that club, right?--

We don't speak of those shenanigans

Grumble grumble Dark Empire grumble...

Part of it will intersect with VotF, and you may get to see some aftermath here. It wasn't originally in the fic, but I'm looking for a good spot to drop at least a mention of it

Hee. You know me and my L/M obsession. :D (Which you should be grateful for; you know what I mean! :p)

Patience! Patience I say!

"Kriff patience!"

He's had some time to reflect over what happened to him and, well, he's become rather bitter

Nooooo, really? ;)

As for when I started this? If I look at the original document, it says May 27, 2006. Last modified March 23, 2008. So, I started writing this about a year after I started Rise of a Rogue. I think I was seventeen? Maybe eighteen.

Ugh, Lane, you make me feel so old. :(

He seemed to have been an odd man

That's an understatement. :)

He opened the case and withdrew a vial of clear liquid as well as an epidermic syringe. Hastily, he filled the syringe with the fluid, exceeding the dosage that most would consider "safe." Darvix lifted up his shirt sleeve and thrust the needle into his arm, depressing the plunger to inject the fluid into his system. He let out a soft sigh as, almost immediately, the illegal Spice began to kick into his system. The familiar mild euphoria the Spice provided pushed his troublesome thoughts to the back of his mind, allowing him to finally relax.

Just say no, Dap!

"Whatever it is you want," Darvix said, "I don't have it, and even if I did, I wouldn't give it to you?Well, maybe if you want sexual favors, I can make an exception."

Standing before him was Kasari Lisae,

Why do I think that statement is going to come back to bite him in the ass?

From the moment Kasari stepped into Luke's audience chambers, he knew he was in for a headache.

Awww, poor Lukie.

"General Wedge Antilles?" Kasari asked. "As in, New Republic hero Wedge Antilles? The man who survived two Death Star runs, brought Iceheart to her knees, nearly toppled Warlord Zsinj, and for nearly a decade was the Republic's most eligible bachelor?"

"?It's the wanted poster, isn't it?" Luke asked. "Janson was right. Everyone falls for the wanted poster."

[face_laugh]

But hey! I have to object to Wedge being most eligible bachelor. ;)

He had grown so much within the Force because of his blindness. It had caused him to develop his skills with its use, simply in order to survive in daily life.

That makes perfect sense.

If he were to regain his vision, he might regain some of that false hope that had only served to hurt him in the past.

:( Poor Dap.

His mind yelled at him to put his emotions in check, but for the first time in what seemed like an eternity, a faint glimmer of happiness emerged within him.

Easy, Dap, he said to himself. Don't get ahead of yourself.

D'awwwwww.

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes Dap can see, things sure are getting better now [face_praying] Now the spice away and a nice mission

Great update=D=

14. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    "Whatever it is you want," Darvix said, "I don't have it, and even if I did, I wouldn't give it to you?Well, maybe if you want sexual favors, I can make an exception."

*snorts*

"I just wanted to thank you for allowing me to join you," she said, trying her best to keep a warm tone, despite Darvix's rather inappropriate behavior.

"Don't put too much stock into it," Darvix said. "Katarn told me you were a looker."

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

I have a feeling Kasari isn't going to make it easy on him. :p

From the moment Kasari stepped into Luke's audience chambers, he knew he was in for a headache.

See? :p

"General Wedge Antilles?" Kasari asked. "As in, New Republic hero Wedge Antilles? The man who survived two Death Star runs, brought Iceheart to her knees, nearly toppled Warlord Zsinj, and for nearly a decade was the Republic's most eligible bachelor?"

"?It's the wanted poster, isn't it?" Luke asked. "Janson was right. Everyone falls for the wanted poster."

He's jealous! Oh God, this made me laugh out loud! [face_laugh][face_laugh]

Despite himself, a reluctant smile began to form on his lips. His mind yelled at him to put his emotions in check, but for the first time in what seemed like an eternity, a faint glimmer of happiness emerged within him.

Awesome that he can see again!
    Totally looking forward to his reaction when he sees Kasari for the first time. :D

15. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Luna_Nightshade

I like this--I like how Darvix feels a little bit like "House," and his new eyesight coming back. Looking forward to his interactions with the Rogue Squadron. PM's please?

Thank you!

You actually caught on to one of the early inspirations for Dap's characterization. I originally had in mind he would be a sort of Holmes/House kind of character. There are some shoutouts to both of them throughout the first third or so of this fic :)

And I've added you to the PM list!

Hazel

Kasari is in for the ride of her young life

That poor girl has NO idea what she's in for :p

-- It's very rare to find someone who has managed to regenerate their own optic nerves. Typically, that is a problem that even bacta cannot fix.

A little Force help there?

A bit, yes. The backstory is that when Dap lost his sight as a child, he was told there was no hope to regain it. Over the years he's unconsciously gone through a bit of Force healing that has made it possible :)

Yeah, Dap, you don't want to fell lighter now. Just get back to the bottom of the pit.

Some people are most comfortable at the bottom of the pit :(

Nanci

Oh, I love it when Luke is devious.

Devious!Luke is so much fun :D

Grumble grumble Dark Empire grumble...

Hissssss. Bad novel, bad.

Hee. You know me and my L/M obsession. (Which you should be grateful for; you know what I mean! )

Heee. Yes I do, and yes I am :p

Ugh, Lane, you make me feel so old.

Sorry about that :p

Just say no, Dap!

It doesn't pay to do spice!

Why do I think that statement is going to come back to bite him in the ass?

Because it's Dap. His mouth regularly gets him into trouble :D

But hey! I have to object to Wedge being most eligible bachelor.

He's no longer eligible at this point!

earlybird - thanks! Glad you enjoyed the update :)

Ceillean

I have a feeling Kasari isn't going to make it easy on him.

Oh my stars, she most certainly will not make life easy for him :D

He's jealous! Oh God, this made me laugh out loud!

In fairness to Luke, I'm told Wedge has a very fetching wanted poster :p

Totally looking forward to his reaction when he sees Kasari for the first time.

And you'll see it in the next post!

New chapter below. Thanks for reading all!

PM List
    -------
    Ceillean
    Luna_Nightshade

16. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Chapter Three
    Lessons

Darvix yawned as he stepped into one of the Jedi Academy's large hangers. At one point, the spacious room had held the X-Wing and Y-wing snubfighters the Rebellion had used to destroy the Empire's first Death Star. Now, it was filled with shuttles and transports, save for a few exceptions. The Academy held a small number of their own starfighters, mostly aging Z-95 Headhunters and battle-worn Y-Wings that had been cast off from the New Republic's fleet. Many students were trained to fly combat snubfighters in conjunction with their Jedi training. Skywalker had often said that knowing how to fly his X-Wing had saved his life countless times since retiring from the New Republic military.

There was one anomaly in the hanger, Darvix's personal craft. He smiled faintly as he stepped towards his Incom T-65AC4, more commonly known throughout the galaxy as the X-Wing starfighter. The X-Wing was the mainstay of the New Republic and the old Rebel Alliance, having been introduced by the Incom corporation prior to the Battle of Yavin to supplement the Rebellion's less-nimble Y-Wing bomber. It may not have excelled at any one particular area of combat, but it was the most versatile snubfighter in the New Republic's fleet to this day. While at the Academy, Darvix had fallen in love with the fighter's multi-role design, allowing it to perform tasks from intercepting enemy fighters, to destroying capitol ships.

It had been several long years since he had sat behind the flightstick of his X-Wing. There was a point in time where he could have said that he was an adequate pilot. Those days were long gone, however. Two years away from regular flying had caused his skills to deteriorate. Like any sport or art, flying a snubfighter took constant practice and refinement. Still, as long as he didn't run into any Imperial patrols, he would be fine.

He smiled to himself as he spotted an R2 unit below the snubfighter, working at an open panel with one if its utility arms. He patted the droid's domed head as he knelt beside it to watch it work.

"Hi there, Zone," Darvix said.

The droid let out a happy-sounding warble as it turned its head to look at Darvix.

"Yes, I'm happy to be back," he replied. "How's she holding together?"

Zone gave a rather mournful trill in return. Darvix looked up at his old starfighter, noting almost immediately that it had seen better days. Carbon scoring was all over the once pristine hull of the ship. Dents and dings pitted the surface, and that didn't even begin to cover what plagued the actual structure of the ship. His X-Wing had seen a lot of action in its limited service with the New Republic. A tech had once told him that she was barely space worthy anymore, but Darvix refused to let the ship go. It was nothing a bit of work couldn't take care of.

"I'll be right back," Darvix said. "I need to go get my flightsuit."

Zone seemed to perk up, sounding an excited tweet.

"Yes, looks like we're going to go for a flight," Darvix said, patting the droid before walking out of the hanger.

As soon as he set foot into the hallway leading away from the hanger, he felt someone tap him on the shoulder. Sithspit, Darvix said to himself. He just wanted to return to his dormitory to get his supplies. The sooner he was in space, the sooner he would get to Coruscant, and the sooner he could get this infernal assignment over with. The last thing he needed was to talk to some pimply-faced padawan. He turned to his side, ready to chew out the student, only to realize the student who wanted his attention was Kasari Lisae.

"Jedi Zorvan, it's good to see you have returned," she said. "Your eyes?Is that why you left??"

"The better to see you with, Lisae," he replied, his gaze slowly falling lower and lower. "Katarn was right, you are a looker."

Faster than a womprat scurrying away from an incoming Skyhopper, Kasari glared and brought her hand up, bringing it squarely across Darvix's left cheek. As he tried to rub the sting of his face, she stormed off in a huff.

Darvix stepped into his d

17. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    I like their interactions here. I agree; she does need a little bit of orientation into the world outside of the Academy so she can learn to adapt to it. I think Dap is just the one to help her do that, even if she won't go for what he says too often! Also enjoyed the descriptions of spaceflight and the aircraft. We don't get enough of those goodies in fics! Great update.

18. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    There they go - heading for trouble :p

19. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Skywalker had often said that knowing how to fly his X-Wing had saved his life countless times since retiring from the New Republic military.

Yeeeaaahhh, just a bit. :)

Still, as long as he didn't run into any Imperial patrols, he would be fine.

Why do I think that these might be famous last words? Oh yeah, because Lane is writing this. :p

Zone seemed to perk up, sounding an excited tweet.

Awww.

"The better to see you with, Lisae," he replied, his gaze slowly falling lower and lower. "Katarn was right, you are a looker."

Faster than a womprat scurrying away from an incoming Skyhopper, Kasari glared and brought her hand up, bringing it squarely across Darvix's left cheek. As he tried to rub the sting of his face, she stormed off in a huff.

[face_laugh] Poor girl.

He had done it before and prayed he would never have to do it again.

We all do, Dap!

He'd just have to prepare another batch while in hyperspace.

Here's a better idea, Dap.

STOP TAKING SPICE.

You might find yourself floating around the universe as space debris real fast."

"Watch your mouth, kid, or you're gonna find yourself floating home!"

"You're no different than every other being in the galaxy!" he said. "You're born, and you start dying every moment after you leave your mother's womb. While you trudge through life, slowly dying, people get in your way to try and piss you off, just like everyone else. Why should you react any different than the rest of the Galaxy?"

Well that's cheery. :p

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Dap is great. A rebellious Jedi and the old temple should have had those more.

Loved the interaction=D=

21. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    "Some people are only alive because it's illegal to shoot them."

Aw hell...this is soooo going into my sig. And I swear, I'm making a poster and I'll slap it on the wall so I can stare at it every day and nod in agreement. :p

"And there you go again, elevating yourself above everyone else," Darvix replied. "It's perfectly fine to get upset with someone when annoy the living kriff out of you. Hell, it's normal to get upset. You start suppressing those emotions; you're liable to do something stupid. You can be upset, but it's how you choose to act upon that emotion that matters."

Dap is a very smart guy.
    And you know what I really like about him? He's so normal.

He has flaws. Like the Spice thing. It makes him so much more real.

=D=

22. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Luna_Nightshade

I like their interactions here. I agree; she does need a little bit of orientation into the world outside of the Academy so she can learn to adapt to it. I think Dap is just the one to help her do that, even if she won't go for what he says too often!

Getting out of the academy is going to be good for Kasari. Of course, she's going to have to figure out just what advice from Dap she should and should not listen to :p

Also enjoyed the descriptions of spaceflight and the aircraft. We don't get enough of those goodies in fics! Great update.

Spaceflight and combat piloting are some of my favorite things to write. There are some dogfights in this fic that I had some fun with :)

Hazel - Dap? Trouble? Naaaaaaw :p

Nanci

Why do I think that these might be famous last words? Oh yeah, because Lane is writing this

What? You think I'm going to do something evil? Pfft :D

Here's a better idea, Dap.

STOP TAKING SPICE.

Good luck getting through his thick skull :(

-- You might find yourself floating around the universe as space debris real fast."

"Watch your mouth, kid, or you're gonna find yourself floating home!"

Dap Zorvan, Corellian in every way except birth :D

Well that's cheery.

He's just a ray of sunshine, isn't he?

Earlybird - Thanks! Dap really was a fun character for me to write over the years.

Ceillean

Aw hell...this is soooo going into my sig. And I swear, I'm making a poster and I'll slap it on the wall so I can stare at it every day and nod in agreement.

I really need to get a poster that says that and put it on my wall as well :D

Dap is a very smart guy.

He sure likes to think that :p

And you know what I really like about him? He's so normal.

He has flaws. Like the Spice thing. It makes him so much more real.

When I created Dap five or six years ago, the original idea ws for him to be a deconstruction of Corran Horn. Set them on similar paths, but do a personality 180. Dap has flaws, he's not exactly a noble person, he's got his demons to contend with.

Really, I discovered that's more fun to write than a perfect Sue-type character :D

Thanks for reading all. New post below!

23. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Chapter Four
    Mourning

Darvix flexed his fingers around the flightstick as his X-Wing reverted into real space. As he looked through his forward viewport, he saw the urban planet of Coruscant grow larger and larger. The world had once been the seat of power within the Old Republic and the Empire. Years later, a small group of men and women were sent by the New Republic to capture the planet and further demoralize the Imperial remnant. Those heroes were known as Rogue Squadron, ledby then Commander Wedge Antilles.

The man Darvix had once served under, the man who had summoned him here.

Darvix had served in Rogue Squadron before his arrival at the Jedi Academy, joining the fabled group immediately after his graduation from the Starfighter Academy. Antilles had been reluctant to clear him for active service upon his arrival, but the squadron was short-staffed. They needed a pilot who was cross-trained in terminal slicing. Unfortunately for them, Darvix was the best they could come up with.

It hadn't been his skill with the flightstick that landed him an assignment with Rogue Squadron; it had been a hobby he had picked up years earlier. If his career had played out the way it should have, he would have been assigned to an outer-rim squadron to guard a low-threat facility. Instead, other factors brought him to the most dangerous posting he could have received. Most pilot would have been overjoyed to have received an assignment such as that, and at the time, Darvix had been. As he looked back, he could only see his time with Rogue Squadron as more of a curse than a blessing.

Shaking his head, he keyed on his radio. "This is Jedi Academy stafighter Oh-Eight-Theta hailing Coruscant traffic security. Requesting permission to approach."

"Acknowledged, Oh-Eight-Theta," a nasally voice said in turn. "Please state the nature of your visit."

"Hookers," Darvix said bluntly.

"?excuse me, repeat that, Oh-Eight-Theta."

"Hookers," Darvix replied. "You know. Hoochies, one-night stands, the Lando Calrissian special. Doesn't anyone ever come to Coruscant looking for a good time? Come on, buddy, you know what I mean."

"Prostitution is a felony on Coruscant!" the dispatcher protested.

"Based on what I saw the last time I was there, you're obviously not enforcing that law very strictly."

"Oh-Eight-Theta, unless you state a valid purpose for visit, you will be detained."

Darvix sighed to himself and rolled his eyes. "Traffic security, if you'd kindly look at my ship's transponder code and the clearance I've already sent you, you'll see that I have military clearance. Now, please clear my flight route or I'll have to ask General Antilles pay you a visit. Is that understood??

"Ah," the dispatcher stumbled. "clearance received. You may proceed to your destination along flight-route one-oh-nine gamma."

"Thank you, traffic security," Darvix said, trying to wipe the grin off his face at the same moment.

As his X-Wing went through its shutdown sequence, Darvix undid the harness straps holding him into his flightseat and keyed the canopy release. With a hiss accompanied by the distinct sound of hydraulics, the transparisteel canopy lifted into the open position. Standing, he undid the chinstrap of his helmet, removing it and setting atop his flight console. Placing a foot on the side of his cockpit housing, he leapt to the floor.

He had been directed to a military hanger not far from Rogue Squadron's land-based headquarters. Darvix had been to the building once during his tenure as a Rogue and had been meaning to pay a return visit since he had resigned his commission to Starfighter Command. Glancing at his wrist chrono, he saw he still had a standard hour until he was due to meet with General Antilles. He smiled faintly to himself; he still had time to attend to a personal matter that had been bothering him for too long.

"Jedi Zorvan-" Kasari started.

"What did I say?" Darvix interrupted.

"?Darvix," she said, correcting herself. "Did you have to be so?rude to the traffic controller?"

"What can I say? It?s fun picking on

24. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    Oh, I wouldn't call the Rogue Squadron a bunch of screwups, Kasari.

I liked the little example of Dax's "humanity," and I admit it, his greeting to security made me laugh.

I imagine Dax's sad past will come back to haunt him in other ways now that Kasari knows.

Lovely update. =D=

25. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    "Hookers," Darvix said bluntly.

"?excuse me, repeat that, Oh-Eight-Theta."

"Hookers," Darvix replied. "You know. Hoochies, one-night stands, the Lando Calrissian special. Doesn't anyone ever come to Coruscant looking for a good time? Come on, buddy, you know what I mean."

[facepalm]

"Did you have to be so?rude to the traffic controller?"

Well, he's Dap, so yes. :p

"Honestly, you have the maturity of a ten-year-old sometimes,"

No no no, you're thinking of Wes Janson. You haven't even met him yet.

"My name was Cheriss ke Hanadi," the image said. "I was the first Adumari pilot to graduate from the Starfighter Academy, and was placed into Rogue Squadron. I served as a pilot and armed combat specialist for one year before we were ambushed on a patrol by the Empire's prototype Phantom Starfighter program. One of my wingmen was damaged in combat, and before the Phantom could destroy him, I sacrificed by ship, and my life, to save him."

:_|

He was regarded as being tough and callous.

The tough and callous ones are always the biggest softies. See: Han Solo.

A split-second later, a caf mug came in contact with the Major's head, spilling the hot drink all over the man. Wes bolted out of his seat, yelping in pain. Kasari looked over at the woman who had thrown it, her desk reading "Maj. Inyri Forge."

"Ten points, Forge," the man sitting at Gavin Darklighter's desk said.

[face_laugh]

This is Rogue Squadron? she asked herself, feeling her jaw drop slightly. What a bunch of screw-ups!

No no no, they're not screw-ups, they are wonderful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.