main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Redundant, Counter-Productive Speculation Time Is Over: "The Star Wars" Announced

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Going by the variant covers, yeah that is Leia. :oops: I guess Annikin isn't on the cover to issue 1.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    He's on the cover under Kane.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's Vader. You can tell by the armor.

4. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Maybe Leia and Annikin fused into one character.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yes, Annikin is on the main cover- he just happens to have his hair in a blonde ponytail. In the issue, he's definitely a boy (unless a gender reveal happens later, but probably not), though still with the blonde hair. Looks kind of like an Elf from Lord of the Rings actually (or maybe that's because I just saw the Hobbit trailer recently). Leia is a different character, one who already has the bunhead hair style too.

Ok issue. Not quite a good story, its more of an interesting novelty in picking up all the names that will show up in the actual Star Wars, most of which are completely different from the final product (though there are some things already set, such as Annikin looks like trouble). Not to mention story elements from both the OT and prequels. Heck, some of the background almost reminds me of the Legacy-era Empire too at that.

Quite good art throughout. Several ships, and most of them have that nice Star Wars feel to them, such as the Stardestroyers (one word) that we've seen in previews for months now. The ships have a nice retro feel to them, sort of like the OT, but not quite, appropriate for a proto-Star Wars tale. Interesting news too- turns out Sean Cooke has done a number of designs for this series. I don't think any have shown up in this issue yet, but at the back they had some sketches by him, presumably for stuff that will show up later on, so that's a major plus for this series.

Not bad start, even the cover and pages have a nice glossy feel, I'll almost definitely be buying the rest of this series at least.

6. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Stardestroyers zipping around Alderaan like atmospheric fighters! PROTO-PROTO-MALGUS. Leia is but mere weeks from becoming a frat girl. Annikin's brother is deeeeeaaaaaad.
    SKYWALKER. DARKLIGHTER. STARKILLER.

Read the issue, enjoyed it. Good, not great. Has potential. Looking forward to more.

Incidentally, I've always wondered how the Original Trilogy would have turned out had Bail and his wife always wanted a boy and Leia had been the twin taken to Tatooine to be raised by the Lars family.

EDIT: Sorority, I meant sorority!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Luke as spoiled Prince would actually be pretty amusing.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    How would Episode I been received if the yippee was followed by what happens here, and it was a huge fakeout and there was an older brother and Shmi's explanation becomes a stretch.

9. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    I don't think you can lead into The Star Wars with Episode I, period. Shmi's son is suddenly Luke except he can't be the messiah figure since he's relegated to the Obi-Wan role. Annikin's father is rather explicitly established, Vader isn't even more machine than man now, and Leia doesn't seem consequential other than as a potential love interest slash hostage.

I can see how basic narratives of Episode II and Episode III would have gone had The Star Wars been what we'd gotten on the big screen back in '77, but Episode I - and the entire need for an Episode I - gets jettisoned in such a scenario.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I mean what if Jake Lloyd got run down by Maul and it turns out he had an older brother.

11. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    OH.

...huzzah, we have a Skywalker conditioned to hate the Sith who would never go over the likes of Palpatine? Long live the Republic?

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I always loved the pulpy feeling of this draft, so it's great to finally see it. Fantastic designs and great art.

Bib Fartuna and Ulicus like this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Nope. :p
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's definitely a woman in each cover, and the middle one makes it undoubtedly Leia.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ok so I no longer have to feel embarrassed thinking the Annikin from the previews was a female all these months..................

Gorefiend and Todd the Jedi like this.
  15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Well I read it, and I must say, while I expected it to be significantly different from the Star Wars we all know, I didn't expect it to be this different. Didn't look much into the previews since I didn't want to spoil myself, so I say it's a good first issue. The art is fantastic.

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    To people who are familiar with the screenplay--is it pretty faithful? Any standout differences?

17. Backbench Jedi

Backbench Jedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2013
    Dammit, i hoped the guy with cool mask will be a major villain.

18. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    A distinct lack of curves... :p

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
  20. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    It's very faithful to what I remember, probably too faithful for my tastes. When I read the screenplay, I remember thinking he's throwing way too many characters at us at once, and that's exactly how I felt with the comic. I wish it had developed some of the characters a little more than the screenplay did.

While I can say that so far it's interesting to read, I can tell why GL re-wrote it many times.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ^ I haven't read the comic yet so I'm going to avoid the official thread, but I did read the script once, and that was exactly my impression. I remember it was sort of like the Dune universe in terms of the politics and all the royal houses fighting -- almost like a Dune fanfic.