Lit Redundant, Counter-Productive Speculation Time Is Over: "The Star Wars" Announced

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    So, this Sequel Trilogy thing, right? It totally should ignore everything before it. Like, totally. Nothing before ever happened. Not even Han and Leia getting together. I mean, that's too cliche, right? They should go back and completely blow our minds by having Leia marry some prince or something, as she's a princess, and princesses marry princes, like in all the other Disney movies. And Han? He should get grumpy and end up being the antagonist or something.

That's what they should do. None of this EU poodoo.

You hear me Disney?
    Last edited by Zorrixor, Mar 12, 2013
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. cdgodin Force Ghost

star 4
  3. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Oh crap, they're gonna cancel Invasion again.

HARDER.
  4. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Just because you said that, they're cancelling Dark Times. Good job.
    Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  5. Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji

VIP
    star 4
    OH HAI

[IMG]
    Barriss_Coffee and Havac like this.
  6. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Exactly.

Now that Leia is officially a Disney Princess, she needs to dump Han and marry Prince Isolder in EU 2.0.

Nothing else makes sense. You don't want to be the only princess without a prince at the ball.
    Last edited by Zorrixor, Mar 13, 2013
  7. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    So this should be announced soon then, right.
  8. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
  9. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    I'd be hugely surprised if that happened. Tony Stark is a major draw of the MCU, but he's not larger than the MCU, and they've already set precedent with Banner and Rhodes. When RDJ wants to move on they'll recast him, have the new Iron Man appear in the latest Avengers flick to establish him, then give him his own Iron Man movie after that.

The relevant quote from Freige/Marvel being: "I hope Downey makes a lot of movies for us as Stark. If and when he doesn't, and I'm still here making these movies, we don't take him to Afghanistan and have him wounded again. I think we James Bond it."

While I don't expect their continuity to remain super tight forever (no more than it does in the comic books), the shared universe is really important to them. Reboots are a long way away. It took James Bond forty years.
  10. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    Why are you still talking? We got KOTOR Omnibus. Or are you waiting for The Lost Legs: Darth Maul?
    BoromirsFan likes this.
  11. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    @Ulicus: Oh, I'm not saying I'd expect them to retell the story of how he became Iron Man again, no, that's why I said "all but" a reboot.

But I don't expect them to continue to be bothered about adhering to every tiny little detail the way something like the EU has done. When RDJ stops playing him, it'll give them the excuse to throw out some of the things they dislike and redesign it enough so that if, say, the new director just hates Pepper Potts, and doesn't care for the way RDJ's Iron Man interacts with her, then a future director would just shrug his shoulders and write her out as easily as Megan Fox was replaced for Transformers 3.
    Last edited by Zorrixor, Mar 13, 2013
  12. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    That's not remotely like the Amazing Spider-Man situation you initally described, however. :p
  13. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Well, I haven't watched the Amazing Spider-Man, so aside from using it as an example for how fast companies are to reboot nowadays, I admit I'm not clued in on the specifics of how exactly it rebooted things.
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think the only thing that will get wavy is the character ages- RDJ will probably move on when he feels he's too old for the role and so, in the next movie, we'll have a slightly younger looking Stark to carry things forward and they'll just handwave the timescale of events ostensibly taking place in 2025 with a Stark just as old as he was in 2008 despite still having been born in the mid 60's.

ASM was a complete reboot- a new version of the origin, new tone, a new dynamic with Peter's family (and how they tie to Osborn and his origin), him back in high school with Gwen as the love interest and no MJ.

The only carry over from the Raimi films was the Lizard being the villain of the movie (as he was scheduled to be at some point for when Raimi was developing Spider-Man 4) but that was just a developmental thread, not an actual follow-up on the plotlines of the first trilogy.

Interestingly enough, given the new tone, ASM was almost crossed over with Avengers (Marvel wanted to put the Oscorp Tower from ASM in the NYC cityscape for Avengers, but they were too late in post-production to implement it), despite the different ownerships.
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Mar 13, 2013
  15. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    They got to keep RDJ at least till the Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy cross-over...
  16. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I would think RDJ is on board until at least Avengers 3, with likely an Iron Man 4 in Phase 3 (or, at the very least, the kick off film for Phase 4).
  17. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I think Avengers 2 will be his last appearance as Iron Man.
  18. cdgodin Force Ghost

star 4
    I remember RDJ stating that he signed on for 3 IM movies & 3 Avengers movies, but I could be mistaken.
  19. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Your theoretical director is an idiot.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Mar 13, 2013
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    He's not signed for anything now, I think- IM3 is his last contracted appearance. However, Marvel will undoubtedly deliver several dump trucks of money to his house to get him to sign on for 3 more (my guess being IM4 & 2 Avenger movies), plus maybe a cameo or two in other flicks.
  21. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
  22. cdgodin Force Ghost

star 4
  23. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I'm totally getting banned for that.
    BoromirsFan, cdgodin and Zorrixor like this.
  24. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    instantdeath likes this.
  25. DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    You (Coop) got me :p
    Last edited by DarkEagle, Mar 13, 2013