main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Reference guide for media stories *mod approved*

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CEB, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    One of the things that's likely to happen more and more in the next couple of weeks are stories about TFA in media outlets that are interested in clicks and sales and not so interested in robust research or useful information.

We're all from different parts of the world, and I've noticed that saying "the Sun prints lies" for example seems to carry less weight when used as a rebuttal than it would if there was an existing thread to refer to, for a guide about trustworthiness of sites.
    I want to keep it light hearted in tone and avoid any real reference to scandals, politics etc - but I will talk about the angle various publications are likely to take in relation to the film Feel free to add your own from your part of the world, or add to what I've put.

Guide to UK media

The Sun:
    What you need to know - owned by Rupert Murdoch under News UK. His companies used to own distribution rights to Star Wars, now don't.

Reputation: poor reputation in UK, even by tabloid standards. Very popular newspaper though.

Stories to expect: anything with a whiff of scandal; rumours of relationships between cast, disharmony on set, exposes of previous bad behaviour. Look for sources. If source quoted is "an insider", and unnamed, then it's likely to be either made up or blown out of all proportion

The Guardian:
    What you need to know - liberal leaning newspaper. Read by teachers, vegans and many people who don't think it's left wing enough for them

Reputation: mixed. Good writing amongst an increasing reliance on clickbait. Expect them to publish lots of star wars stuff in the next two weeks,

Stories to expect: lengthy piece by a professer of gender studies on how BB-8's switch from male to female and back during production shows that the GFFA is far ahead of the U.K. In accepting transgender people; another writer pointing out that Daisy Ridley is wearing make up in one scene, showing how sexist Star Wars is. Amongst the think pieces, there's likely to be little of substance that isn't covered elsewhere

Daily Mail
    What you need to know: socially conservative newspaper, incredibly popular and despised in equal measure
    Reputation: staunch defenders of an idealised England that never existed. I

Stories to expect: "How TFA affects house prices for middle class families" and quite possibly an exaggerated taking at offence of anything within the film that's perceived as ungodly or a bad message to children. They'll be the first to point out if any actors start to put weight back on, and they're also the most likely (along with the Guardian) to have a lengthy interview with a star of the film in which they gloss over the film as if it's a kids film that is beneath talking about.

Any more for any more? I've deliberately had a dig at papers across the political spectrum, as I don't want this to be about right/left wing media, but more about the way the papers cover media stories, so we don't get any panicky reactions to whipped up clickbait

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.