main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

References to Earth or animals/items originating from Earth in SW.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by STG_Mudshark, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Snakes and lizards lived on Dagobah.

So far, I think AotC has been the best as far as keeping out Earthly animals.
    Since RotS was filmed totally in the studios, I think we'll have a new winner ;)

2. RedHeadKevin

RedHeadKevin Jedi Master star 2

May 18, 2004
    Well, In AotC, Anakin mentions deep-frying... mmm...

3. arielthalandra

arielthalandra Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
    I always loved how SW gives us settings that are totally exotic, but containing elements of the familiar. Like the cantina with its house band, very earthlike, but full of weird aliens. And the announcer for the podrace sounded just like some guy on earth calling a race, but had scales and two heads. Plus you cannot possibly miss the sports bar, the movie posters, and the diner in AOTC. Love it, love it, love it!!

A long time ago in a high school far far away (well, actually it's about four blocks from my office, but you know what I mean)I was writing a SW fan fic that mentioned horses and my friend objected to that saying they were "too terran." I took out the horse reference and only years later it occurred to me that humans are pretty darn terran themselves. Oh well.

4. DoctorZaius

DoctorZaius Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2001
    Han yells to someone "Then I'll see you in Hell"
    meaning somewhere in the galaxy their are christians beleiveing in heaven, hell and God. perhaps introduced to them by a man named Jesus?

5. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Still, even a duck has to be taught to swim."

"What's a duck?" Luke asked curiously.

"Never mind. In many ways, you know, you are much like your father."

Hehehehe like that other bit in the novelisation where Kenobi tells Vader that he percieves the Force the same way a spoon might taste food. ;)

This is a silly thread :D

BTW the ducks in TPM have four legs. :p

6. PADME-II

PADME-II Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2004
    I always thought OB1's reference to Sifo-dyas dying 10 years ago in AOTC to be rather amusing.

7. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Han yells to someone "Then I'll see you in Hell"
    meaning somewhere in the galaxy their are christians beleiveing in heaven, hell and God. perhaps introduced to them by a man named Jesus?

You've never heard of the Intergalactic Mormons?

8. STG_Mudshark

STG_Mudshark Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Good imput everyone. Though I never predicted the thread would involve so much ducks. But it dose make sense since GL was invvolved with the "Howard the Duck" movie.

But the whole "familiar yet otherworldly" aspect of STar Wars is always been apart of its storytelling appel. Personally the distant past of the Star Wars univer is just ripe for new stories and ideas. There is a vauge time line prior to the Events of the Prequel movies, but aside from Tales of the Jedi, its never been really divled into. I think the farther back you go (or dream) in the SW univers you'll find humans begining their connections to the Force and the foundation of the Jedi as you find humans venturing out of the Solar system to a galaxy far, far away. Hey its Star Wars, possibilites are endless.

9. NidLoc

NidLoc Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2004
    about the I'll see you in Hell line, Chirstianity isn't the only religion with a concept of Hell, The Anciet Greeks and Romams had Hades(which had two parts Hades and Elysium, if you were bad you went to Hades, if you were good you went to Elsyium, if you were an evil titan you went to tartarus which made hades look fun) which is were most of the Chirstian and muslim concept of Hell comes from(Judaism does not have any mention of Hell but a place called Sheol were instead of being tortured for eterninty the souls of the evil are just apart from G-d a kind of hell if you think about it) The chinese whose religions are alot older then Chirstianity have many different hells(see the movie Big Trouble in Little China for a running gag about this particular belief). So its safe to assume that in the galaxy far far away there are several conceptions of a place in the afterlife were the wicked go.
    Also about the duck in the Novelization of AHN. You have to remeber that some of the orginal drafts had Star Wars taking place in a distant future of ours(kinda like Star Trek or Dune) also as a child after reading that line and not knowing about Obi wans orgins( who his parents where and what planet he was from, stuff that may be addressed in the EU in the next few years,Lucas had banned almost all writing about Obiwan till the prequels, case in point Joruus C'baoth was orginally supposed to be a mad Obiwan clone but lucas made Zahn change it) I always hoped till the prequels that maybe just maybe Obi-wan had either been to Earth or was from Earth.

10. Plurimus

Plurimus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 1999
    In the DVD of ANH, you can see an image of a falcon or an eagle looking through a window when they're in Mos Eisley. Don't know if it was there in the original or SE.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Take a look at this pic:

[image=http://www.egosystem.com/starwars/images/anh/a_galaxy_how_far_away.jpg]

It's very hard to make out, but you can use it as a marker the next time you watch ANH.

The astronaut in this cantina scene may or may not have an American Flag on his sleeve. Even the web page that displays this pic says "appears to be" but I have never heard of a true confirmation on this.

Two thoughts; just from a storytelling point of view, placing objects from our world into a fantasy one makes for something to identify with. It is a suggestion that we may not be so differant from the denziens of the story regardless of the environment.
    The other thought is to suggest that denziens from our galaxy have made their way to the GFFA. The events of the films may not have taken place a long time ago from our time, but from the time of a future storyteller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.