main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reflections: A Vignette Collection (FINALLY UPDATED: HOBBIE KLIVIAN "The Other Guy") 04/29

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Daughter_of_Yubyub, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBiggerFish

TheBiggerFish Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    These are so great! You get inside everybody's heads so well! I'm looking forward to Han, but I'm dreading it too. You're going to make me cry, aren't you? :p

It doesn?t matter what their weapons shoot if they can?t hit us.
    For some reason that cracked me up! I love Wicket!

Jacen. Even though he turned out to still be alive, the person who came back wasn?t the brother I remember. I just don?t understand him anymore. There was a time when I knew exactly what was going on in his mind almost before he did. But somehow that bond broke when he disappeared. Now all I see is a stranger. I?m afraid to try to get to know him again. I might lose the new Jacen too. Or he might lose me. I wish it was safe to be close to him, or to anyone at all.
    Hmmmm.....you don't mind if I use some of that in an upcoming part of my story do you? That's perfect!

2. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    :eek: You updated and never told me?

Anyways, bark to dark and Destiny's Way Jaina!
    Bark to dark . . . [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

More than anything else, I hate to look at myself in this portrait. I?m standing between my brothers, dressed in my fanciest clothing. Looking at it, I see that I must even have let Mom braid my hair. The grin on my face, I didn?t think anything could ever hurt us.
    :_| Poor Jaina! Seeing everything fall apart around her.

So . . . you say you're moving away from depressing "Anakin's Death" stuff? :p

3. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
  4. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    BiggerFish Thanks. Sure, you can use it.

TSM Oops, typo. Anyway, I lied. :p The next few don't have that. Han is a happy monologue.

5. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks heaps DoY! :D

6. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Well, tonights the last performance. Since I have the morning off, you finally have an update. I realize I've been horribly slow, but I haven't seen anything but my school for the past two weeks. :p

Family

A few years back, I would never have imagined myself in this position. I just never saw myself as the fatherly type. But here I am with two kids, the happiest I?ve ever been in my life.

My old friends would say that I?ve gone soft. Maybe I have. It?s impossible to stay hardened in this life. I?d rather be holding a baby than a blaster now.

Hey there, Jaina. What are you doing awake? Please don?t fuss, you?ll wake your mommy. Don?t poke your brother, kid. How about you come with Daddy for a while?

Daddy. I?ve been called a lot of things in my times, but I think this is my favorite. Leia and I can really make a difference in these kids? lives. Give them a safe place to grow up. We?re a family. A real family.

You just wanted attention, didn?t you? That?s alright. We all need that sometimes. Maybe a little attention now will stop you from making the same stupid mistakes I did.

Promise me you?ll be smarter than I was. You can have my luck, but please, don?t have my brains. You look like your mommy, which was definitely the better choice. Could you do me one more favour? Grow up to have someone else?s temperament. Anyone else?s.

I don?t stand very much of a chance of getting that, do I? You?re going to be as stubborn as your mother, I can tell. Take a few traits from me though. Preferably my better ones. That?s my little girl.

I?m going to be there for you, Jaina. I?m going to protect you from the Empire, and the media, and all the monsters under your bed. I?m going to teach you haw to fly a spaceship and play sabaac. I?ll leave teaching you how to be a Jedi to your mommy and Uncle Luke though. I?ll just be looking out for you the whole time. A Jedi Solo. I never would have imagined that.

And now there?s two of you. Jacen, my boy, you?ll make a great Jedi Knight when you grow up. I don?t know ho much like me you?re going to be, but somehow you?ll be a Jedi. You two are lucky. You?ll always have each other to count on.

You want up too, don?t you, son? I think Jaina?s about ready to go back to sleep. Your turn now.

What do you think, Jacen? You going to help keep guys like me away from your sister? You?re laughing at me. I guess you?re right, there?s not much we could do to stop Jaina. Well, you can help me get revenge on the guys afterwards.

I know that look, kid. That?s you uncle?s ?Han, that is of the Dark Side? look. Don?t you give me that look. My son, the Jedi. We?ll have to think of some different bonding activities, then. How about smashball? You like smashball?

I know, I know, you?re a little young right now, but we can play smashball once you learn some more advanced motor skills. We can still have fun now though.

Where?s Jacen? Peekaboo! Where?s Jacen? Peekaboo!

See, now you?re smiling. You like that, dontchya?

My old friends would laugh to see me now. What they don?t realize is that peekaboo is the greatest game ever invented.

Does that mean you agree, Jacen? Yeah, I thought you would.

7. The_Standmaiden

Jul 28, 2002
    You look like your mommy, which was definitely the better choice.
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I know that look, kid. That?s you uncle?s ?Han, that is of the Dark Side? look. Don?t you give me that look.
    Haha. Little does he know. :p

That was cute! :D And completely non-Anakin's death! :eek: Actually, it was completely non-Anakin, since he didn't even exist yet then. :p

8. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Thank you. :)

And I told you that it was non Anakin's death. You didn't believe I could do it, did you? :p

9. The_Standmaiden

Jul 28, 2002
    Well, you did do that Ewok one, with no Anakin, but one about Han? I really doubted you. :p

10. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    I just found this. And I'm so mad that I've missed it up until now. That's it. Everyone with a good fic needs to PM me immediately so I can catch up.

This was truly a joy to read. I think my favorite was Han followed by Jaina's. All of them though, were terrific. Getting inside ONE character's head is tough enough and you just did half the cast!!! Kudos!

11. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    all of these are fantastic... i hope that there is more!

12. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    awwwww.......*melts into puddle of fuzzy warm feelings*

That was so gorgeous! I love my Han! [face_love]

Daddy. I?ve been called a lot of things in my times, but I think this is my favorite.

He's so sweet!

You can have my luck, but please, don?t have my brains. You look like your mommy, which was definitely the better choice. Could you do me one more favour? Grow up to have someone else?s temperament. Anyone else?s.

yeah right We all know she grows up almost EXACTLY like Han for a little while :p

What do you think, Jacen? You going to help keep guys like me away from your sister? You?re laughing at me. I guess you?re right, there?s not much we could do to stop Jaina. Well, you can help me get revenge on the guys afterwards.

[face_laugh] And I could just see him doing it too! [face_laugh]

Where?s Jacen? Peekaboo! Where?s Jacen? Peekaboo!

See, now you?re smiling. You like that, dontchya?

My old friends would laugh to see me now. What they don?t realize is that peekaboo is the greatest game ever invented.

Does that mean you agree, Jacen? Yeah, I thought you would.

*screams at the adorableness of the scene*
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! I LOVE HIM!!! [face_love]

Gorgeous DoY! Absolutely gorgeous!

13. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    UPping!

BTW, I won't be on the boards for the next two weeks, I have exams at school and I can't afford to come to the boards. *sighs* it seems DRL has won this round. :(

14. Kirana

Kirana Jedi Master star 2

Nov 13, 1999
    That. is. so. cute. *squeals and hugs Han*

15. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    upping......

16. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Don't worry, I haven't abandonned you. I'm just trying to pic a good timeframe for Artoo.

17. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Don't worry, I haven't abandonned you. I'm just trying to pic a good timeframe for Artoo.

Hmm... a blank error. That's a new one.

18. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    And here we go. We have Artoo Deetoo during the YJK series.

Normal Circumstances

Beep bleep beep.

Translating?

I?m starting to realize that I?m not exactly young anymore. I know this isn?t a normal feeling for a droid. Regular memory wipes are supposed to spare us this particular experience. But my path has been far from the one I expected when I was first activated decades ago.

I may well be the only being still in existence that remembers my first owner. Well, Threepio too, but we?ve been partners for so long that we scarcely count as separate entities anymore. We?ve watched governments rise and fall together. How many counterpart teams can say that?

Back when Luke and Leia first started rebuilding, I often wondered why they didn?t ask me what I knew of the Old Republic. After all, I had been there through so much. I could have saved Luke a lot of headaches if he had only asked me about the ways of the Jedi. But who would expect a simple machine to have the answers he sought? Listening to me has never exactly been his strong point anyway.

Take Dagobah for instance. I recognized Yoda the minute I saw him. Even if I was prone to forgetfulness as humans are, I would remember a Jedi Master. I did everything I could to get Luke?s attention, to tell him what was going on.. I could have spared him a lot of trouble, if he had just listened to what I had to say. I suppose he didn?t understand me very well back then. Astrometrech isn?t an easy language for some people to understand.

I honestly don?t know why they didn?t just program me to speak Basic. It seems to me that it would simplify everything a great deal. Maybe they just didn?t think it was necessary. Under normal circumstances, an R2 unit should always have a ship?s computer or a protocol droid nearby to translate.

Normal circumstances definitely fall outside the range of my personal experience. From what the mechanics say, they don?t include deserts. Or forests. Or swamps. Or forests. Or rivers. Or forests. Or mountains. Did I mention that an astrometrech droid isn?t meant to deal with forests?

I?m almost positive that I wasn?t intended for use in training young Jedi. I honestly don?t know how I got mixed up in that business. If I was just navigating to and from the Academy, that would be one thing. But more often than not, I end up as part of some telekinetic exercise. Countless rocks lying around, and yet it?s me that they decide to lift with the Force. Inevitably, the natural conclusion to this is that I tumble to the ground. It isn?t as bad when the students drop me. They?re still learning, I can?t expect them to get it right all the time.

But when Luke drops me, that hurts. It?s not the dents that worry me?I?ve been in enough battles that a couple more scratches won?t even be noticeable. No, it?s my feelings that get hurt then. I go to all sorts of trouble to repay him time and again, and this is how he repays me? No wonder the old Jedi had such lackluster love lives.

Don?t get me wrong. I would never trade the life I?ve led for ?normal circumstances?. The life of your standard astrometrech seems awful dull compared to being a mechanical hero. All I ask is a little appreciation for what I do.

And a slightly less neurotic translator.

19. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_laugh] Oh how gorgeous! What an original slant on R2! I wasn't expecting that one. It would be interesting if he could talk, wouldn't it? I never realised that part about him being in the OR and that he could have helped Luke.

Well done for a creative and interesting vignette on a character most people think is very 2 dimensional! :)

20. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    All priceless, Yubs! :D

I especially loved Han's. Not only was it melt-your-innards sweet, but the characterization was perfect.

And, of course, great fan of Wes'. Right into the mind and straight through the madness to the core. Loved it. :)

Any plans for a Jacen vignette? Straighten out this whole Danni/Tenel Ka mess for us, will ya? :p

21. Emperor_Joe

Emperor_Joe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    The mind of the Smuggler and the droid have been cleared for me.

22. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Oh, God! That was hilarious, Daughter_of_Yubyub!

Some very excellent points you brought up there... ;)

No wonder the old Jedi had such lackluster love lives. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

23. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Thanks everyone! :)

TheBiggerFish It took me a while to get into Artoo's head. I'm glad you think I did a good job of it.

lexu Thank you. I appreciate your compliments about characterisation. I'm glad there's something I get right, 'cause I sure can't do action. :p As for Jacen, I'll have to see. I find NJO jacen to be the hardest character to write.

EmperorJoe Glad I've given you insight.

Lt_Jaina_Solo Thanks. I decided that Artoo would be a humour character, because I was just in that sort of mood.

Tycho will be next.

24. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    oooo....Tycho! :)

25. XaveriiJade

XaveriiJade Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2002
    Great! keep posting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.