Reflections: A Vignette Collection (FINALLY UPDATED: HOBBIE KLIVIAN "The Other Guy") 04/29

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Daughter_of_Yubyub, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina_and_Jag Force Ghost

star 5
    I just wanted to say that this is really cool and I think the R2D2 thing was really different. :D
  2. Angel_9 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Cool after being away from the boards for almost a month i come back and find a couple of really kick...errr....great posts from you DOY. Thanks for doing the R2 post, i don't know why, but my friends and i always love putting in dialoge of R2 when ever he is on screen.

Well again thanks for the Kick-orc post. You rock and keep up the great work. i hope to read more soon.
  3. Goo_Child Jedi Master

star 4
    Over twenty-five years ago, I saw my world destroyed. A month ago, it happened all over again.

I get chills... KEEP IT UP. I love these!

Oh and BTW, I think Jacen would make a wonderful one.

4. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    Thanks J&J, Angel and Goo_Child. I'm terribly sorry about how long this took, but I've started university and DRL is making my life difficult. Anyway, here we have Tycho during Rogue Squadron.

What Needs to be Done

Why am I doing this?

I know I shouldn?t even be asking myself that question. My belief in the cause has never wavered. Not when we were the Rebel Alliance, and certainly not now that we?re the New Republic. How can I be questioning myself now, when our goal is so close to realization?

I have to keep fighting against the Empire. That?s just what I do. It isn?t always easy, especially not when my own government is trying to stop me. I think that?s what?s been giving me these doubts. They won?t let me out there where it counts unless I?m helpless in their crosshairs. If it weren?t for Wedge, they wouldn?t even allow that. It makes a man wonder.

My friends died for this? For a government that doesn?t trust a loyal, willing soldier? So many young men and women who thought they had something worth fighting for. They gave their lives and this is what we accomplished?

No, I can?t let myself think like that. This isn?t about government, it?s about people. Ordinary people. The citizens of the New Republic who have the right to go about their lives in peace. They have done nothing to hurt me, and so I cannot turn my back on them. I have to continue doing whatever I can.

Then there?s all the new pilots. So much like my friends were once. If I can?t be in my fighter, the least I can do is make sure this new batch can be effective in theirs. No one thinks I can do any harm in a simulator... not yet anyway. So until they take even that away from me, I?m going to make sure that these new Rogues receive the best training I can give them.

Every mission, I wonder if its enough. Did I teach them well enough that they?ll make it back alive? Will they accomplish their goal? I should be out there, flying alongside them. I have the experience of so many battles. I teach them as best I can, but that can?t replace being out there to cover them. All I can do is try to catch them if they bail out.

I know it?s an important job. I know more than one pilot who has been saved by a swift pickup after going EV. If I didn?t think it mattered, I wouldn?t stick around. After all, certain parties have made it excruciatingly clear that they don?t want me around. Sometimes I wonder how they would react if I just listened to them.

Of course, that would be giving up. I can?t just stop fighting. As long as a remnant of the Empire exists oppressing any part of the galaxy, I have to carry on. No matter what anyone else might say, I know what I need to do. And I?m going to keep doing it until they lock me up.

Besides, plenty of people still want me around. Sure, the higher ups may be wary of me, but I still have my loyal friends. Wedge hasn?t doubted me for a second. Even if those who don?t know me as well are wary of me, I still have him. Wes and Hobbie too, even if they aren?t around. And Winter, wherever she is. Sith, I miss her. This would be so much easier if she was around.

But I can?t have everything. I guess I?ll just have to carry on as best I can.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002
  5. Devi Jedi Master

star 4
    I love your Tycho viggie! It's excellent! :D
  6. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
  7. RogueSticks Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh great post! And I don't usually read Tycho stuff so that's saying a lot. I really do adore the posts on this. Thank you for letting me know you'd updated!
  8. Gabri_Jade VIP

VIP
    star 5
    Great job! I like Tycho a lot. It's nice to read something from his point of view. :D
  9. Emperor_Joe Jedi Master

star 4
  10. Jaina_and_Jag Force Ghost

star 5
    Awesome!!! :D I hated how they never really developed Tycho's character when he was suspected by some Reps and you did a wonderful job showing how it would be. :D Great depth!

J&J
  11. Xaara Force Ghost

star 3
    First, I have to apologize for falling behind on this thread. I'd forgotten how much I liked it!

This last post was particularly emotional. Tycho is such a wonderful character (meaning, of course, that he is almost entirely ignored in profic), and I think you really managed to capture his thoughts in this short but pointed vignette. The whole post is reflective, but not overly so, as if Tycho had just taken a breath between picking up some EV pilot and returning to his house arrest. This sentence was my favorite--it managed to capture so easily the entire feeling of the vignette:

This isn?t about government, it?s about people. So true, and that's Tycho's ethical dilemma in a nutshell.

I look forward to reading more in this series!
  12. TKeira_Lea Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I saw Tycho Celchu and was instantly intrigued. Great insight into his mind. Poor guy has always gotten the short end of the stick, but you did a wonderful job of getting into his mind.

I thoroughly enjoyed this post. I will try to venture to the earlier ones at some other time...
  13. Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That was a fantastic viggie, DoY! I loved how you delved into Tycho's mind...you had me tearing up...
  14. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    You know, I swore I would never let this happen to me. I said I would never turn into one of those authors who left their fic untouched for eight months at a time.

I was wrong.

I fought DRL, and for a long time, DRL won. But no more!

Yes, it is in fact an update!

The Other Guy

The Dour One. I suppose I could get excited by not having a more exciting nickname. What would be the point though? I?ve spent the better part of my life as the other guy. I resigned myself to it a long time ago.

Just look at the people around me. Most people would be the other guy in this group. For that matter, most people would kill to be the other guy in this group.

I was doomed to other-guyhood from the day I met Wes Janson. Next to Major Flamboyance, everyone else just manages to fade into the background. Where would he be without the ordinary people though? It?s hard to be funny when there?s no one to set up the joke? A galaxy of comedians would have no audience. Straight man isn?t a glamorous role, but it?s my role. It?s not as if I?m jealous of Wes. He?s my best friend, for sky?s sake!

Then there?s Tycho. Women see Tycho as sad and lonely, when he?s really not. It?s appealing to them though. I, on the other hand, just look grim. Grim just isn?t as attractive for some reason. Why is it that all the really appealing traits are always wasted on the guys who have no need of them? Just my luck, I suppose.

Finally, there?s General Wedge Antilles. Hero of the Rebellion, destroyer of Death Stars, liberator of worlds, conqueror of insurmountable odds and fearer of Ewoks. He makes everyone look like ?the other guys?. He?s a living legend, he?s larger than life. It?s hard for us mere mortals to compare to him. Not that we really try. Friends don?t compete over that sort of thing. Not friends who have been together as long as we have at any rate. It just wouldn?t make any sense.

Wes would probably tell me that Other Guy is not the worst thing people could call me. He?s never been one to pass over a chance to make a Bacta Boy remark. It?s just the way he is.

Then again, being immersed in bacta seems to be just the way I am. I for one would be very content to do battle solely in deep space. At least that way there would be no ground for me to worry about. Would I still find a way to get injured? Oh, probably. It?s just my rotten luck, after all. Or good luck, I suppose. They haven?t managed to kill me yet. My injuries have been getting increasingly creative lately too. Sooner or later, they?re going to run out of ways to land me in a Med Ward. Or at least, that?s what I keep telling myself. I?ve been trying out positive thinking. One step at a time.

Positive. Like... being in bacta isn?t so bad. It gives me a chance to reflect on my life. Sure, I?m covered in sticky orange goo, but I?m having some real time to myself.

Ah, who am I kidding? This just isn?t my thing. I have come to one conclusion though. I can accept being the other guy. In the end, wars aren?t won by the handful heroes. No, they?re won by the thousands of other guys.
  15. Gabri_Jade VIP

VIP
    star 5
    Yay, another! :D LOL at Hobbie trying out positive thinking! [face_laugh] Very authentic characterization the whole way through. I love it, Yubs. :D
  16. Emperor_Joe Jedi Master

star 4
  17. Xaara Force Ghost

star 3
    Excellent job, Yubs - a highly accurate characterization of Hobbie condensed into a short vignette. Once again, you've managed to take a character I think I know well and illuminate another aspect of his personality. I'm jealous of your command of language and your facility with your characters' voices.

Your little sneaky analysis of the rest of the Fab Four in relation to Hobbie was well-done and subtle enough that I felt as though you were presenting a picture rather than a monologue.

The last two sentences summed everything else up perfectly, and were a satisfying conclusion to a satisfying vignette. Good work! :)
  18. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    What a great post! And the last part was very very true: good on ya for saying it!

*Derisa*
  19. Devi Jedi Master

star 4
    (small nitpick: ) Isn't bacta pink, not orange?

Otherwise, excellent viggie! *thumbs up*
  20. Pelranius Force Ghost

star 5
    Hobbie and positive thoughts.... what, has Barney taken over the GFFA?!

Keep up the goodwork, DoYY.
  21. JediMaster_Horn Force Ghost

star 3
    Hey DoY-- you're a literary genius!

I've only had time to read the first three vignettes, and I've got to log off now, but next time I'm on, I'll read the rest.

Anakin's, Wedge's, and Wes's were GORGEOUS,and I'm sure the rest are too.

Keep up the good work!
  22. Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Great new vignette, Yubs! Sorry it took me so long to reply- blame DRL and bad memory :p

Anyways, you managed to get Hobbie's voice perfectly. Awesome job!

~LtJS @};-

23. Lank_Pavail Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Glad to see this upped, I've been looking for it. :D And looking forward to more, Yubs. :)
  24. hansolorox Jedi Padawan

Awesome Job Yubs! Hope to see more!
  25. Mirax_Corran Force Ghost

star 4
    Anakin's: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Wedge's: Rousing =D= Made me want to get up and shout "YEAH!"

Wes': Touching and funny

Winter's: Perfect :) That's how I imagine Winter. Why are the authors so mean to her and Tycho? Why?

Han's: CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!!!!!

Jaina's: sweet and sad :(

Tycho's: the highest praise I give: I printed it out to keep.

Hobbie's: see Tycho's

Leia's: So sad :_| you captured her perfectly
    Myra
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.