main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reflections III Rumblings

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Aug 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    I posted some a news blurb that made it's way to me from Decipher. What do you guys think about the next installment of Reflections?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they should have waited until AFTER Theed Palace to do R3, I hope they're not planning on releasing a Reflections after every two sets, seems a bit much, and I'm still not done with the first two![face_batting]

I think we can expect more combo cards, a couple R2-leftover EU cards such as the Wild Kardde, maybe non-foil versions of the Qui-Gon w/saber and Maul w/saber whose foiled versions are supposedly gonna be tourney prizes at E1 environment tournys I think. I think it was said somewhere that we can expect at least two more E1-objectives as well.

I think it would have been more fitting to wait until after Theed though, to kinda act as a "bookend", if you will, to the three main E1 expansion sets. Also would have given Decipher more time to come up with more EU cards.

Any idea on what the "theme" for R3 will be? The first was "A Collector's Bounty", which was appropriate, and R2 was "Expanding the Galaxy" which was also appropriate due to the EU cards. What could R3 be? I suppose they'll be pushing the E1 concept but I'm still wondering what they could introduce in R3 that would be "new" and make R3 seem less like a rushed effort to capitalize on the previous 2 Reflection sets. I mean it seems like they could have done an Enhanced-Tatooine or Enhanced-Coruscant instead or something to hold us over till Theed and THEN release R3 so new players could catch up on the old cards and all the E1 cards.

I wonder if AI's will be possible to pull from R3 packs? (assuming they include tatooine cards in it which i would think would be a safe bet).

3. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Well two things I think we can expect to see is Endor and DSII stuff in the packs (finally!) as well as the first foils from Tat and Coruscant...maybe foiled EU cards too (hopefully).

4. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    I don't care about foils but I want Maul with Saber and Qui-gon with Saber

5. Wraith_009

Wraith_009 Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    It's will be Reflections 3 "A Money Grabbing Set made for JK bombing financially"

6. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    ouch

7. 4Q2

4Q2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2001
    I too am concerned with the number of expansions coming out this year. At first I thought Coruscant coming out so soon after Tatooine was not so bad, since Tatooine was such a small set and didn't take a huge hunk of change to collect. But now that I see two more expansions are coming out after Coruscant ... whoa! Slow down, Decipher!

I hope there will be Endor and DSII cards in RIII, but I'm not holding my breath. If RIII still has just Premiere through SpecEd, I'm going to have a hard time justifying buying any of it. I just don't need any more Timer Mines!

As for foils, this is what we should expect, I think:

- Jabba's Palace Sealed Deck. Very safe bet, and very cool.

- ECC Lando. They never foiled Lando w/Blaster Pistol. He's the only EPP/ECC/EJP character not foiled. Weird, huh?

- EUs and Combos from Reflections II. I'm not excited about these. The EUs and combos have flooded the market it seems to me. They just aren't special enough that a foil version excites me. What am I going to do with a foil Black Sun Fleet, anyway?? But D. will foil them anyway.

- Tatooine and Coruscant. We'll see a handful of these, anyway. After all, we saw some Endor and DSII foils in RefII. Expect URF Maul and Qui-Gon! Unfortunately, Tatooine was such a small set, there's not much there to foil!

- Theed Palace preview! I'm going out on a limb on this one, but BEP preview cards were well received in YJ:R, and D. always borrows ideas from one product to the other like that.

As for premium cards, I have no idea what to expect. Some more EU? Oh, I hope not. Unless it is the light side Mara Jade Skywalker I've been expecting ever since EJP came out! :) Some new objectives? I don't think D. can put out a product these days without an objective. Besides, they'll want to have RIII booster-draft tourneys.

Well, those are my thoughts anyway. FWIW....

8. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    I agree. Expansions are coming out too fast. What is the rush suddenly?

9. Gadget

Gadget Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2001
    I don't know why they're coming out with RIII as soon as they are. But I have a feeling that they want to get Ep1 all done before the end of the year just because next year they have to start planning for Episode 2.

Not that I really agree with the approach they're taking. As much as I hate large expansions, I would have rather seen one big 360 card Episode 1 expansion that just got everything out of the way. Basically another Special Edition. It would have made sense at least. When SE came out it changed the game forever with Objectives. This set would have had a similar effect, introducing podracing, the senate, effects to make old strategies more powerful, and a lot of new main characters.

I think the reason they didn't do that is because they wanted to make a few personas for each Ep1 main character, and it would have been strange to have 3 Mauls and 3 Qui-gons (or whatever it turns out to be after Theed) in one expansion.

As for me, I'm going to have to find ways to raise more cash for the rest of the year. Get a better job, become an organ donner, blackmail people, sell drugs, become a male prostitute, etc. Well, maybe not that last one. Maybe after the rest of them I'll have enough to make it through RIII and Theed.

10. 4Q2

Apr 6, 2001
    No, I hate large expansions. It's too hard to get all the cards, and you end up with hundreds of extra commons and uncommons you can't use.

I liked the Tatooine expansion. One box, and you got most of the set. Coruscant is okay, but anything bigger than that just becomes too much, IMO.

11. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I'd like to see versions of Leia, Mon Mothma, and maybe even Ackbar (he was on the advisory council) as well as the afore mentioned LS Mara and maybe a new Corran.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They should make a new persona for Corran- perhaps Keiran Halcyon, the alias he used while undergoing Jedi training. One more Jedi couldn't hurt[face_batting] Be interesting if they could work in his talent for alter-mind and energy redistribution as well as his lack of telekinetic ability into his gametext...maybe something to the effect of "if by a weapon during battle, that weapon is lost and you may cancel gametext of one opponent's character present for remainder of battle."

13. 4Q2

Apr 6, 2001
    No, you can't make it an automatic action. No one'd ever target Corran at all with text like that. Try something like this:

"Once per turn, may draw destiny; if destiny < [Corran's ability] may choose one opponent's non-droid character present; that character may not utilize game text or fire weapons for remainder of turn. May subtract 2 from destiny drawn for Alter or Sense if targeted as the 'highest-ability character'."

That takes care of the mind-altering ability.

"May not be targeted by your Weapon Levitation."

That takes care of the lack of telekinetic ability. I can't think of any text that would work in his "energy redistribution" abilities.

What do you think? Are we ready to make a dream card? :)

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Maybe it can just be an Interrupt; similar to Blaster Deflection.

15. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I was thinking the other day that with all the new Jedi masters appearing in Ep1 sets, they could even the DS up by including Joruus C'Boath from the Thrawn trilogy.

Then again, that got me thinking even more (this thinking is getting dangerous). When Zahn wrote his books, the assumption was that the clone wars involved cloned Jedi against real Jedi. Asd it turns out, it wasn't. What happens to Zahn's character now? Is it still Canon? I'm pretty sure that the explaination in the book was that C'Boath was a left over from the clone Wars.

Hmmmmm,

Anyway, i'd like to have Endor and D*II cards in RIII. As for "extras", I wonder what they will do for box toppers? I liked the large objective idea. (Mainly 'cos my retailer gave Hunt Down to me free when he opened a box to get my boosters)-maybe they can enlarge some objectives from the sets after SE.

(BTW, are these oversized objectives "tourney legal?"

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think Zahn specifically said in his books who the clone wars were bought by ( i actually thought the general assumption it was Jedi vs. Mandalorians, which isn't that far off I suppose), just that Joruus the clone was made during that time period, or at least "sampled".

17. Gadget

Gadget Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2001
    Yes, the oversived Objectives are legal. I'm not sure who made the ruling or when it was made, but I've used the big Hunt Down before and never had anyone complain, opponent or TD.

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Uggggh...I just heard from alliedcards.com that Reflections III will break the 60-card barrier with "Defensive Sheild cards." That sounds like a sideboard to me. :(

The other stuff in the set looks decent, though.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    reposting the alliedcards.com info-

-The box contains 30 booster packs.
    -New Mains! - Qui-Gon, Yoda, Chewie, Obi-Wan, Jabba, Leia, Lando, Boba Fett, and Darth Maul!
    -Lightsaber Combat Objectives and theme cards from the exhilarating Episode I Finale!
    -Defensive Shield Cards for the first time in the Star Wars CCG, the 60 card deck limit will be broken!
    -New foil versions of existing rare cards as well as 6 foil previews of the yet to be released expansion set, Theed Palace!
    -Anticipated release date of October 31st!!

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Now, here's my speculation...

My guess is the Qui-Gon and Darth Mauls will be the non-foiled w/lightsaber versions mentioned elsewhere, Jabba will probably be the Episode 1 Jabba, Leia will probably be Senator Organa or something like that (and, what, the tenth Leia persona?), Chewie will probably be an undercover version ala Boushh or TK-422 or as a prisoner or something. No idea what else they could do with Lando unless they are gonna make a "Lady Luck" starship card or something like that. Boba Fett's new persona will probably be an attempt to bring back bounty hunting decks....Yoda and Obi-Wan stump me though...ghost versions perhaps? Yoda w/Gimmer Stick maybe? ("once per turn may attempt to "thwap" one droid present"...hehe, oh I know, "if one of your weapons or devices was just stolen, draw destiny, if destiny > than destiny of stolen card, that card is now stored on Yoda (mine! mine!)" hehe). Sorry, now I'm babbling on[face_batting]

21. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Hehe. Good ones, T2Q!

In Reflections II, the EU cards all had the same rarity -- there were no common/uncommon/rare designations. If Decipher sticks to that, then I don't think Qui-Gon and Maul will be the non-foil "w/lightsaber" versions. That would make them too common.

I bet the Qui-Gon and Maul "mains" in R3 are going to be URF previews of Theed Palace. Similarly with Yoda and Obi-Wan - probably not URFs, but SRF Theed previews anyway.

I agree with your guesses on Jabba and Leia. Those make sense.

Chewie and Lando I don't know. Hopefully it'll be Chewie w/Bowcaster, where Chewie's Bowcaster draws two destinies, and Lando w/Sabacc deck, where Lando can pull a Sabacc interrupt from reserve deck. (I like Sabacc. :))

Boba Fett I have no clue. We already have four Fett personas, only two of which see any significant gameplay (EPP Fett and ECC Fett in Slave I). Maybe a "Sarlacc's Lunch" Fett? :)

22. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    On RFD they talked about there being 100 or so new premiums. HOBOY, a reflections set bigger than a limited expansion!!! (Tatooine)
    So is it going to be the same format (foil, premiums + heap of older cards)

The huge amount of premiums irks me. I was hoping that, now that I am finally buying boxes, I would have a chance to complete a set without too much expenditure, but No, Decipher makes it darno hard to get the set. Curses and naughty words! A box of these cards is expensive! Let's see, 30 boxes, 100 premiums. The sums say that I need more than 3 per pack with no repeats? Impossible I hear you say? YES golly gosh. Darno sighto impossibo.

Grrrrrrrr. The last set tghat either of my local card shops bothered to open a box for was RII. So I can't get singles from anything since. PITA!

Oh my goodness, I'm ranting.

Hopefully RIII will include endor and DS2

23. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    So no one knows what cards will be released?

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    There are plenty of cards being posted on various websites. Here is a link to one of them:

http://www.geocities.com/jetsaredim/hayes/index.html

25. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    I've never met him before (came close a few times) but Hayes Hunter is the man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.