main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Reflections Over a Broken Apprentice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthMarly, Aug 15, 2016.

1. DarthMarly

DarthMarly Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2010
    Title: Reflections Over a Broken Apprentice
    Author(s): DarthMarly (marly4077 on fanfic.net and Archive of Our Own)
    Timeframe: Immediately following Revenge of the Sith
    Characters: Darth Sidious, Darth Vader

Reflections Over a Broken Apprentice

Darth Sidious stared thoughtfully out the window as Mustafar began to shrink into the distance. From the neighboring cabin, he heard the screams of Darth Vader as a team of medical droids began their work, most likely having commed their counterparts on Coruscant to be ready to receive the severely injured man. The pain and anger coming from Vader resonated through the Force to become an almost tangible presence on the ship, and a smile crept across Sidious’ face.

The injuries Vader sustained provided Sidious with only a mild setback in an otherwise flawless success in ascending the throne of the galaxy. Still, Sidious now needed perhaps to reconsider Vader as a true apprentice. Vader would most likely need to be encased in some sort of mechanical suit, perhaps not as extensive as General Grievous, but constricting of using some Force techniques nonetheless. Sidious shook his head, trying to imagine the duel that occurred leaving the young man in such a state. He’d never given much thought to Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, always along the periphery vision of Sidious in his quest to bring Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side and ultimately destroy the Jedi Order. To leave his friend a burnt crisp on the shores of a river of lava…Sidious chuckled to himself. Perhaps he seduced the wrong Jedi.

But no, Anakin’s journey to the Dark Side began before his birth, as orchestrated by Sidious and his master. In fact, Sidious had a millennium of Sith to thank for his ultimate rise to power. Lurking in the shadows for centuries before moving out into the open to hold ever increasing positions of power, accumulating funds, bribing the right sentients, slowing gaining possession of the banks, the military, the senate. Patient and intelligent, the Sith finally ruled the galaxy.

Sidious momentarily thought of the Jedi, two of the most powerful on the Council, Kenobi and Yoda, remaining alive. But that seemed of little consequence now. Sidious defeated Yoda, and both Jedi would most likely go into hiding, a wise decision considering the resources now at Sidious’ disposal. He anticipated uprisings anyway, Jedi led or not, and currently had plans in motion of quelling opposition.

A sharp scream from Vader brought Sidious to his feet, and he moved toward the door of his chamber, curious to see his apprentice, experience his pain, encourage his hatred toward the Jedi, toward Kenobi, toward the galaxy. He needed to make Vader see that what were assuredly debilitating injuries could fuel his journey to the Dark Side.

Moving out of the room and to the medical bay, his black cloak pulled up over his own damaged face, he entered the room and breathed in the air thick with rage. The smells of the room, the acrid stench of burnt flesh, did not deter Sidious from moving right up to stand beside Vader. The man seemed asleep, Sidious guessing the medical droids, which moved up and down Vader’s body, removing pieces of burnt clothing and charred flesh, sedated Vader. Sidious reached out and touched Vader’s Force signature.

Sidious involuntarily gasped aloud. He expected a feeble spirit, humbled a bit, in pain. However, Vader emitted a storm of emotions so strong, had they been real elements swirling around the room, a black hole of galaxy-ending proportion would form. He felt deep torment alongside obsessive love, the latter of which Sidious expertly used to his advantage. Confusion, betrayal, sadness. Underneath these, Sidious found eagerness as well, a sense of moving on, a determination to take the path of the Dark Side, to embrace his destiny. Sidious smiled warmly upon this discovery. Vader would become an excellent apprentice.

But not one to hide in the shadows, play the game of politics, as Sidious had for his master, and afterwards. As he watched Anakin Skywalker grow into manhood, Sidious knew he dealt with a man who could not keep his talents hidden, and Sidious already had plans on how to use this trait, which the Sith of eons ago celebrated but Bane put an end to as they slid into shadows. Vanity and arrogance could not be the guiding forces of the Sith; in fact, they led to the end of the Jedi.

The last thought gave Sidious pause as he studied Vader. Now he was out in the open, the main player on the galactic stage. Things would need to change, things Bane and others had not planned for, as this level of dominance remained unheard of in their time. Perhaps Sith should become legion again, Sidious as the general. He already employed several Dark Side users, and perhaps with Vader now incapacitated to quite a severe degree, he’d need to invest further in training more. Snickering to himself, Sidious felt comfort in the thought that Vader would not be able to perform the shifting of the Rule of Two, as Sidious and more than a dozen before had accomplished. No, Sidious should thank Kenobi for making sure Vader would never reach his full potential as a Sith. A sad thought, but true nonetheless, and Sidious allowed himself a little shrug and a smile.

“Master?” came a rasping voice, and Sidious looked up from his study of Vader’s missing limbs to see the young man’s eyes open. Red and yellow, they just about glowed with the Dark Side, pleasing Sidious further.

“Yes, my apprentice?”

“Where…am…I…” Vader got out before descending into hacking coughs and wheezing, desperate breathes.

“No speaking, my friend,” Sidious said in a soothing voice, the same he’d used on Vader for years, the man Anakin always came to for emotional support, to vent about the Jedi. Sidious almost laughed out loud when the phrase father figure came into his head.

Vader coughed more, Sidious realizing he’d most likely need breathing support for the rest of his life. A shade of disappointment clouded his thoughts briefly…such a waste, but there would be others. Onward, upward.

“We are heading back to Coruscant,” Sidious continued. “You will get the proper medical care, and then we shall move on with our plans. But you will need to help yourself heal. Use the Force, think about what the Jedi have done to the galaxy, what Obi-Wan Kenobi did to you. Your hatred will assist in making you stronger.”

Vader’s pained eyes blinked slowly, and he gave a small nod before slipping back into semi-consciousness.

Rising and heading back to the hall, to fresher air, Sidious bypassed his room and entered the mess deck, nobody else about, everyone on the minimally staffed ship busy. Standing in front of the view portal, he saw they’d entered hyperspace during his sojourn into the med bay. The waves of blue flowed by, whipping the ship past hundreds of stars and planets and moons, all now under Sidious’ control. A wide grin spread across Sidious’ face; he’d done it, the grand accomplishment. He’d taken the galaxy for himself, for the Sith. And he intended to keep it, the thousands of systems, the trillions of sentients, forever in the grip of the Dark Side.

Author’s Note: Thank you for reading this little Sidious one-shot. I’m planning on writing a longer story using Sidious, a companion tale to my Tatooine trilogy (marly4077 on fanfic.net and Archive of Our Own). However, I find Sidious a daunting and difficult character to write from, although he is one of my all-time favorites. Thus, this piece is a little experiment in his POV, and I really hope to get feedback from readers. Please comment and let me know what you think.
    Thanks so much again, and please check out my other work. Take care, and may the Force be with you.

2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    The first thing I thought was: "Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that."

But then I saw that you write your use name Marly and then pulled by train of thought away from Charles Dickens "Christmas Carol".

Next I focused on your fan fic title: "Reflections Over a Broken Apprentice".

The Vader fan girl in me was hopeful and so I finally started reading. (Even though I should be in bed sleeping at 1:34am, holidays or not.)

You give the reader a very brilliant insight into Sid(ious)/ Palpatine. His ice cold calculations, his desires, his future schemes - all is there. (And since I am trying to write a decent fan fic about the old man himself, I HAD TO read your story.)

After finishing your story, I have an even better understanding why he keeps his broken apprentice. Thank you!

PS: I also like your icon which shows a certain Disney rat!

DarthMarly likes this.
  3. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    A thoroughly enjoyable read. I think you have captured Sidious pretty well but I was most impressed by the differences you highlight between the two characters. Sidious is a product of Sith patience, someone who has lurked in the shadows as the Sith have done for hundreds of years, whereas Vader strikes me as being more if an old fashioned Sith, all power and brutality and dread. This makes the characters an interesting pair. I also think you are right to make Sidious so dismissive of Yoda and Obi-Wan. As Luke points out overconfidence is his weakness! I would certainly enjoy reading more.

AzureAngel2 and DarthMarly like this.
  4. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010
    Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm looking forward to working on a longer story featuring Sidious, and this really helped me get his thoughts in my head (which I suppose can be dangerous). I cannot post the story here, as I usually write M-rated fics, but I hope to post some other character one-shots in the forums. Looking forward to exploring more fics on this site as well.

And yes, AzureAngel2, I love Remy. He's my spirit animal. And I love Dickens too, however, Marly is my nickname. But I do admit to reading A Christmas Carol every December.

Thanks again for reading and responding!

M

AzureAngel2 and gaarastar58 like this.
  5. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Now I feel a bit stupid, because I do not get the term M-rated fics... *does some extreme googling now*... ah, that stands for M- Mature, like R on fanfiction net. Then write your story there and I come sneaking or get a brilliant beta around here who helps you to filter out the M-rated stuff. NOT the brilliance of your writing! :D

DarthMarly and Jedi_Perigrine like this.
  6. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    I really enjoyed this story--it was very well written. It embodies the Sithiness of Sidious' character, and it paints a good picture of poor Anakin's downward spiral.

Whatever the rating of your fics, let me know when you post another. :)

7. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010
    Thank you so very much!

My longer fics in fanfic.net and AO3 are focused on Obi-Wan's exile, adventure/romance/humor. And the story with Sidious is a companion tale featuring a Sith character I developed in my first Tatooine fic Will most likely be adventure/romance/humor as well. I just like the Sith, love reading the Legends EU books, etc. Hope you'll check out the Obi-Wan stories.

Again, your feedback is much appreciated. Take care!

M

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I still hope that you can post some of your treasures here!

DarthMarly likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I've had this bookmarked for good 2.5 months, but when I first saw it, I was on a nice balcony overlooking a gorgeous waterfront and I didn't want to read about Vader having his body parts screwed on after Mustafar. Now I don't mind.

Sidious' observations here are definitely interesting - the idea that he "perhaps seduced the wrong Jedi" could be slightly cynical, or could be his ways to cope with a decision that Darth Vader may not be physically powerful as, say, Darth Maul was before losing his legs. Now, what he eventually comes up in the end, the decision to go against Bane's rules in his own way and train different dark side users, is plausible and it's a nice tie-in to the Darth Vader comics, where he actually does turn out to have trained some cybernetically enchanced darksiders...

...even better because Vader proves him wrong on all accounts. :D

Great insight into the mind of a megalomaniac!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010

Thank you so much! I'm truly enjoying writing Sidious in my current story on fanfic.net. He's just so delightfully diabolical. And nice to meet another SW comic fan. I've been in and out of the Vader ones recently, a bit more into Poe, but I do love the new stories they're exploring.

Again, I appreciate you coming back to my story. Take care!

Ewok Poet likes this.