main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Refraction: Drabbles from the Blue Side (SWTOR)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Commander-DWH, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Title: Refraction: Drabbles from the Blue Side
    Author: DWH
    Characters: Finley Tuering, Cabrie Elthwen, Doc, Kira Carsen, Lord Scourge, other SWTOR characters.
    Timeframe: SWTOR
    Summary: Assorted drabbles from the SWTOR timeline
    Notes: Cabrie is a Jedi Consular who belongs to SoA, but since we played together I can’t separate her from Finley’s story. Finley is a Jedi Knight. I reserve the right to add other characters from other classes as I see fit, and make up OCs if the mood strikes. I’ve set writing aside for a long time, so this is my way of getting back into the groove of it. Drabble prompts were lifted from a list I found online.

While this takes place during SWTOR, 300 years after KOTOR, for my own continuity purposes it’s going to be entirely in line with the events in my Blue Side of the Force series. That doesn’t really matter here, but it could show up later.

Introduction

Finley never had much patience for rules.

Only the silly ones, she told herself as she shimmied across the pipes suspended over the hallway. This was the first time she’d seen outsiders at the Telos Jedi Academy, and she was desperate to know why.

She froze as she heard footsteps. Snatches of murmured conversations included ‘war’ and ‘come out of hiding.’ Could it be? Would they finally leave this place? It had been so long.

In her excitement, she lost her grip on the pipe and fell directly before the adults.

Sheepishly, she smiled at the newcomers. “Hi, I’m Finley.”

Complicated

“Why is this taking so long?” Finley heaved an impatient sigh and flopped her 16 year old frame on the couch. “They promised us we didn’t have to stay here anymore.”

Master Elane replied, “You know it’s not that easy. Not since the sacking of Coruscant. Our first priority must be safety.”

Finley grimaced. “I know you’re right, but this place is cold. And has a weird presence to it.”

“An archivist fell to the dark side here, many years ago,” Elane replied. “I suspect that’s it.”

“So leaving is tricky and staying exposes us to the dark side. Great.”

Making History

Finley possibly arrived too early at shuttle bound for Tython. After bouncing around for years, she was finally headed to the home of the Jedi. As such, she’d been sitting alone on the shuttle for some time before another Jedi with short blonde hair and a calm demeanor stepped on board and took the seat across from her.

The girl looked at her and smiled. “Excited to leave?”

“You have no idea,” Finley replied. “I’ve just got a feeling, everything truly begins on Tython.”

Her eyes sparkled. “I think you’re right. I’m Cabrie.”

“Finley,” she grinned. “Pleased to meet you.”

Rivalry

“Cabrie! Race you to the bottom?” Finley pointed at a series of steep paths down the hill.

Cabrie looked down appraisingly and shook her head. “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“Jedi agility, think about it. It’s good practice!” Finley grinned.

Cabrie thought for a moment, then nodded. “Let’s do it.”

After a countdown, Finley and Cabrie took off. However, Finley did not expect to see Cabrie vaulting over her head as she jumped from one plateau to the next.

When Finley caught up with Cabrie, she pointed accusingly. “You didn’t tell me you’d jump!”

Cabrie shrugged. “You didn’t ask.”

Unbreakable

As the sun rose over the ruins beyond the Tython Jedi Academy, Finley watched the light as it slowly filtered through the ancient brick and across the fields. The home of the Jedi was thousands of years old, and had been abandoned long before she was born.

The Sith tried to wipe them out, and succeeded in destroying their temple on Coruscant. Even the old Dantooine Enclave had to be abandoned hundreds of years before, after a Sith attack. Scholars might see recent history as a sign the Jedi were waning.

Finley knew better. The Jedi would not be broken.

BONUS DRABBLE! (Not entirely part of this set, and certainly not very serious, but I found it on my hard drive and I know I've never posted it anywhere)

TOR Jedi Hoods are Stupid

Kira found Finley looking mournfully into a mirror. Of course, she could only make out her expression thanks to the mirror, since her hood was up. It was always up. “Finley? We need to talk about your wardrobe choices. I’m not judging or anything, but that hood-”

“It’s stuck to my head,” Finley interrupted.

“It’s what?”

“You heard me,” she scowled. “I’m not sure why, but I think there must have been some adhesive or something when we attacked that chemical plant.”

“Huh.” Kira blinked. “I did think it was kind of weird it never fell down when you ran.”

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Nice drabbles, and very good idea that you did them in an ongoing sequence rather than standalones. Less clunky.

I liked the one on the shuttle with the girl sitting opposite. Flowed pleasantly and naturally.

Liked them all really.

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I used to not be the biggest fan of drabbles, but in the past few years, I've really come to like them. To see snippets of a life, but telling a connecting story, it's really an interesting way to tell the story and to read. This is a great example of that! I loved these!

I love Finley! I think your introduction gave us a good idea of who she is, I look forward to reading more about her!

The bonus drabble was hilarious!

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    As far as I'm concerned, you should continue getting back into the groove. And this can be a good example for many other authors - to start with smaller bits and then, perhaps, move onto something longer. Just like mavjade, I used to be sort of reserved when it came to drabbles, but in this context, as self-motivation, they're the next best thing to, well, whatever is sliced bread of the GFFA. Not to mention that they're getting you to write again, which is a great thing to begin with. :)

Finley is a very likeable character. I am not sure if she is this person as the only other things that came up in search was this very set of drabbles on another site and the biography of Finley Quaye (!); so I'll assume that you fleshed out her story beyond what the game offers OR that she's your OC who happens to have the same name.

I'm giddy to see Tython here - especially since Dawn of the Jedi happens twenty-three millenia before SWTOR. Glad that the game mechanics of SWTOR resulted in a return to this wonderful planet. :) This is yet one of these cases where one can learn new things through fanfics.

Introduction
    That was funny! And very realistic. :) Nice to see a Padawan being just an awkward teenager, falling over things and giving an odd first impression of herself.

Complicated
    That sarcastic reply at the end of the drabble was hilarious. But when one takes it seriously, it's just the way most choices in life are.

Making History
    Cabrie belongs to SoA, you said. Can I ask who that is?

Another great miniature from the life of a young person and, once again, no matter how much they're taught patience, they will be as excited as any other kid, when going somewhere. I'm pretty sure that Finley ignores the more dangerous aspects in favour of her excitement. :)

Hands down, the best of the set.

Rivalry
    Parkour...in space! And cheating to make it extra-youthful. And once again, great punchline!

Unbreakable
    Seeing hope in ruins is a reminiscent of people getting up on their feet after all kinds wars and seeing hope in a natural setting and thinking about it is a very starwarsy thing. A wonderful finale to this set of drabbles - a cold shower followed by a hot shower, in a nutshell.

TOR Jedi Hoods are Stupid
    Could that thing be Force-sensitive chewing gum? ;)

I enjoyed this greatly!