main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Regarding Redundant Threads?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthRuss, Jan 29, 2013.

1. DarthRuss

DarthRuss Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2004
    Are we really required to be know every post that has been made so we do not make redundant threads? It seems like a thread should only be locked by the management when there are no longer any comments. Just wondering.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They've been very generous when it comes to letting redundant threads exist, but when it gets to be too much they've got to take out the trash.

You don't really need to know anything, all you have to do is use the forum index or the search function to find out.

lol at you bringing this up after having one thread locked, one that was obviously redundant. There's been about a hundred threads on female characters, the actresses that should play them, etc.

This thread on women main characters is on the same page as your locked thread, and it's also listed in the FORUM INDEX that says PLEASE READ HERE FIRST stickied at the top of the page.

So yes, Jedi Merkurian really did need to lock your thread, and the millions of other redundant threads that clutter this forum, separating people who are discussing the same thing and making it more difficult to sort through information.

For example, if the mods didn't lock redundant threads, we would have had a dozen threads on JJ Abrams being the new director, overwhelming the first page with the same topic, burying other topics.

3. DarthRuss

DarthRuss Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2004
    I just find it interesting since there were several comments from different people and no one seemed to mind it. I have been a member of this forum since 1999 and have never had a problem before. I just don't have the time search the forum on every single subject I am interested in. And yes, I know that my membership says 2004, but that was the year that the forum locked and all the memberships were lost because of some server problem and most of us had to renew our info.
    Don't get me wrong, I just wanted to know why.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Say what? I was around in 2004 and don't remember that at all.

It's one thing if a thread on the same subject is on page 20, but if it's in a sticky thread and/or on the first five pages, it's a redundant thread.

5. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    It's cool. It's just only been a forum rule since forever, and for good reason.

I'm sure no one in the thread minded, and I often don't mind myself, but just because a redundant thread is locked doesn't mean the discussion must end, it just has to be taken to another thread, which is why mods often leave a link, or simply merge the comments into the proper thread.

Many JCF users have stated that they find this forum to be a complete cluster **** and at times I agree with them.

Redundant threads need to be locked because they make the forum more cluttered, separate similar discussions and make it harder to find information. In short, they're redundant, and locking them makes this place more organized, more efficient and even more convenient to those who chat here regularly, though perhaps less convenient for those who drop by sporadically.

I'm not a mod or anything and I fully support locking redundant threads.

Summer Dreamer and Valairy Scot like this.
  6. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    That happened to you too?!?! I totally remember that. I used to be "sithbutters"! I was a 1999er too..

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    @OP are you really bitching about using the search function (that's works wonderfully, unlike the old JC)? The mods here have been soooo lenient on redundancy here. Look a couple pages back and quit being a baby.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  9. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    I have to say this round of MODS seem to be more lock happy than the last round you know the darth boys that were modding back in the day.

10. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    You guys are tough!!

But, you're right... We have to keep things streamlined. I imagine it being demoralizing seeing your thread locked though. :)

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Several other posters have phrased things a bit less diplomatically than I would have, but yeah...

Also, I posted here in 2004 and have no idea what you're talking about.

12. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    I think the boards were move to another site or something... I don't really remember and I didn't lose my account.

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Wait, what? darth_boy was a mod?

It's no coincidence that the mods tend to come down hard on redundancy after big news breaks, it's because redundancy skyrockets at the same time.

14. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Deleting threads is like deleting youtube videos. How would feel if I deleted the videos you upload to the internet?

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That never happened.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
  17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Having 10 threads with the same subject matter is silly and confusing, same with what are mostly spam threads about nothing in particular.

Streamlining this place is important, part of the the reason people from other areas of the site are reluctant to come and post here is the huge amount of redundant/pointless threads that fill this place.
    But the mods have improved it significantly, at first this place looked like noob troll heaven and posting here was a major ordeal. Now it is far better and we can have actual discussion about relevant things.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    I think our issue is we have nothing to talk about and some posters want to start a 'sportscenter' thread... You know, one that will headline everything for a while.

Keep doin what you're doin Mods. You're doing a great job.

Soon we'll have plenty to talk about. :)

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Yes, the big problem has been lack of things to discuss which means fans just throw out stuff they want to see (no matter how ridiculous) which is understandable.

20. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Wasn't that moving to a new server and all we had to do was follow the link in the email and reconfirm our password? I know that's all I had to do...

21. Original Oatmeal

Jan 22, 2013
    Let the fans decide what should be talked about, not the mods. If a person starts an redundant thread, then we should just avoid it and only hang out in the coolest threads out there. That would push all the boring threads back. We do not need the help of mods to do that for us. Do not ask what your country or mods can do for us as fans but please ask yourself what can you do for your country, I mean forums.

22. GlueParkEnigma

GlueParkEnigma Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    What's the point of replying on page 56 of a thread that is mostly full of comments not related to the topic anyway. Threads should not be locked but irrelevant comments should be removed or transferred to more appropriate threads you want to people to reuse them. My two cents

Live, Love, Learn & Laugh

23. Original Oatmeal

Jan 22, 2013
    Less likable Comments should be set on Auto-Hide, instead of being deleted.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Mods are there in part to make sure threads do not veer off-topic, which no doubt is more difficult in this forum where stuff like the EU and past movies are important to the discussion of the new trilogy.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The Great Server Crash Of 2004 myth makes absolutely no sense in a thread containing posts from 00'ers, an 02'er, and several 03'ers. Not to mention that most of us were... y'know... here at the time...