Regional Meeting

Discussion in 'St. Louis, MO' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    I know we've been tossing around the idea here and there, and after talking to someone from KC who had the same idea, I finally made a thread for it. Here it is. I figured we'd keep it in neutral territory. It's going to take us a long time to plan and excute this. The ETA is next summer. Feel free to post and share your ideas. I'm imagining this will be a joint effort between KC and us, as we are the biggest and oldest two FanForces in the area.

Here goes nothing!
  2. Darth_Djinn Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey everyone I am the "someone" from KC just thought I would officially introduce myself... I am Darth_Djinn Interim PR Officer for the Heart of the Alliance KC FF. I look forward to reading your ideas and planning this!
  3. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey Darth Djinn! :)

I posted my comments at that thread that was linked.

I think this would definitely be interesting, if nothing else. I posted the KC Ren Faire idea.

So this will be in the summer of next year? Is that what we're shooting for?

Of course, I can't see what tomorrow will bring, so I can't say for sure that I am DEFINITELY in for this... ;) But it sounds cool. And we are big enough now that we can do this.
  4. Dagobah_Diva Force Ghost

star 4
    Are there any Sci Fi conventions in the area anytime next summer? We could try to coincide with something like that...or just get a hotel room (or several) and party the weekend away on our own. ;)
  5. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Yes, it was Djinn, who got me on this tonight :p Credit where it's due.
  6. Darth_Djinn Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey somebody worked just fine since no one here knew who I was... so I introduced myself so that everyone know who that somebody was... and since they will be seeing my name on a lot of posts over the next year!
  7. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Funny how these things work out... I am in. :D
  8. twilek69 Jedi Master

star 4
    Let me know if I can do anything to help. This sounds so exciting!!!
  9. Darth_Djinn Jedi Master

star 3
  10. twilek69 Jedi Master

star 4
    Having in St. Louis is a great idea. We have tons of free attractions, the zoo, the St. Louis Science Center, Art Museum (donation suggested I believe), Grants Farm, Anheuser Busch Brewery Tour, The Arch (though you have to pay to ride up to the top), History Museum in Forest Park, The Muny free seats (have to get there really early though) and so much more. We all know the are really well and can help with hotels/motels, etc. Also, I know quite a few of us would be more than happy to put some people up. I would. Forest park would be a great place to have a picnic and we could all pitch in for the cost. This is so exciting. Let me know what I can do!!! Also, Greyhound, Amtrak and the airport for anyone who needs to come in that way. Plus our metro transportation could at least get someone to a hotel/motel after they arrive on any of the above.
    Yay!!!!!
  11. padawanjo Jedi Padawan

The best place to have such a meeting would be the Univ of MO in Columbia...it's central to both KC and STL and if a student group sponsors the meeting then we may get space for free (which is always a good thing).

We could make a mini con of sorts....

12. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    If it were just Missouri I would agree, and orginally that's what we thought. But now we have shifted from just a MO meeting, to more of Midwest in general meeting. Tonight when I get home I'm alerting Chicago, and am considering inviting Indiana as well since I know they are less than 5 hours away. My thought was to do every FanForce within a 5 or 6 hour radius of StL.
  13. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    I had a couple ideas while I was bored at work today. I want to run them by you guys before I present them to the whole midwest:

• T-Shirts- We make a specialized T-shirt for this event and "sell" them for cost of materials plus a dollar or two to put toward the event. This way everyone gets something cool as a souvineer (sp?) and everyone contributes to the cost of the event. I was thinking having "Midwest FanForce Regional Meeting" or the like on the front with the Arch in the background. Maybe have all the FF names (& logos?) who are coming along on the back (DJinn idea).

• Care Packages- We send each FanForce coming two or three "care packages" filled with St. Louis/MO maps, public transpo info, attractions, etc. We can get most of this free at the tourism offices, and I have one of those a couple miles from here.

• Atraction weblinks/Agenda- pretty much list fun things to do here and their websites. We use that to see what everyone wants to do.

• PayPal account- I've been thinking that an account could benefit our chapter for keeping funds together for meetings with out having someone with cash in hand. It would be very easy for me to set up an account with a pair of debit cards for us in general, and to use the account for this. It would make the T-Shirt idea a lot easier and collecting money for other things we might need for this too.

• The other stuff on my list deals with hotel locations and picnic details (extra BBQ pits etc). Thoughts?
  14. NIBBOR11 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sounds like a good plan. =D=
  15. twilek69 Jedi Master

star 4
    Dajuan,
    Those are great ideas!
    The only thing with paypal is they will charge a fee if someone sends you money when you have a business account. And in order to have a paypal credit/debit card you have to have a business account.

I can help with hotels, motels, etc. for prices. Once we have a set date I would be more than happy to check on line and call around for rates.

Maybe someone with a truck can arrange to pick up some borrowed grills for the picnic site. Our grill could be borrowed, but I don't think it would fit in our car. Tower Grove and Forest Park are centrally located, so they would probably be the best bet for a picnic site. Plus people could wander over to the Zoo, Science Center or History Museum while in Forest park or Botanical Garden if in Tower Grove.

We could have friendly competitions too. Tug of war, and other such picnic games and maybe have a traveling trophy for most games winned or something like that. If we decide to make it a yearly thing, then the group that wins would get the trophy for a year and then need to bring it back for the following year and of course have bragging rights. We could rename the picnic type games and give them fun "Star Wars" names. And maybe a group trivia challenge.

Just some ideas.
  16. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    I know about the paypal fee thing. I have one myself. It's only if people send you money and it's not that much.
  17. NIBBOR11 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Dajaun you have mail
  18. Darth_Djinn Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey all decided to come in and see how you guys were doing. Figured I should talk a little more since you guys are going to be seeing a lot of me in the planning thread I thought I should post in here and see if anyone has any questions about the KC FF group?
  19. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    How many are in the KC FF? And how many do you think will come to the regional meeting?
  20. Darth_Djinn Jedi Master

star 3
    that is a good question we have approx. 98 posters on our forums (making them members) we have approx 30 active members (been to at least one meeting or event) and we are still gaining new ones almost daily. as far as interest I will know more as we get a little more laid out but at this point I can say about 8-10 (remember though as things continue to gel the numbers will solidify more.
  21. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    **Spit-take**

Is there anything I can help out with? Dajuan, I sent you an e-mail back earlier.
  22. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Yes in fact there is, you have a PM :)
  23. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    Yep, I found that out a few minutes ago. ;)
  24. NIBBOR11 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not to step on toes, but are some of your people over at Coreplanets as well?
  25. Darth_Djinn Jedi Master

star 3
    yea we have a few, LordStimpy and there are a couple others that I know of.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.