main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Regulations on Fan Edits

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by SlashMan, Nov 25, 2013.

1. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    So I've had an idea for a Star Wars fan edit that hasn't really been done yet (to my knowledge); re-editing Star Wars as a silent movie from the 20s. To make it more interesting, I'll try to have it follow the "Lost Cut" more and include alternate footage and unfinished footage when possible (though I'm not going to go through the trouble of downgrading every special effect). The score would also be greatly simplified from John Williams' large scale orchestral pieces, and be reminiscent of the time period.

Anyways, this is all in the planning stages, and I'm quite caught up with other work to pursue this immediately. But what are the limitations that come with such a project? Despite having a new score, I assume YouTube isn't going to allow the full movie. What is the current climate that Disney holds on fan edits? Obviously, this is not for profit, and all credits go to the original makers.

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    "What is the current climate that Disney holds on fan edits?" you ask.

My answer would be a big fat "I don't know yet".

Obviously if they decided they didn't like them, they'd have their work cut out for them DMCAing the ones that already exist…

Rick McCallum loves you!

Jarren_Lee-Saber and SlashMan like this.