main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson REID PARK ZOO HOWLOWEEN 2006

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by dialswiftjustice, Jun 2, 2006.

1. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Ok, instead of having to traverse 5 pages of old material, I created this new thread for this years event. I contacted Vivian the Educatin Director who actually thoguth I was returning a call since they were, ironically, starting to touch base with participants. Here is ths jist of the conversation:

Dates: October 27th, 28th, 29th (a Friday-Sunday)

Time: When the sun goes down (specific time pending)

Location within the zoo: Same as last year, by the Pola Bear Enclosure, this is great becuase it is close tot he back gate, parking, and changing trailer.

Backdrop: She basically gave us carte blanche here, but reiterated, it must not interfere with the flow of traffic. Therefore a flat backdrop is perfectly acceptable. But, the polar bear enclosure and our whole area is huge so I was thinking we should have a large backdrop, or two different scenes, or one scene and a club information display withour banner, the posters I am creating etc. She requested pictures for final approval.

Areas of concern:
    Weapons! Anything that looks remotley real cannot be held or displayed, and of course pointed. She said props and weapons that are obviosly fantasy based like lightsabers are fine, but nothing that looks like a gun, and (sorry Jack) she specifically mentioned Chewy's blaster, and Jango's blasters. This is a major area of concern to her and she claims to have mentioned it to us last year during the event, but said it wasnt stopped, I told her how diminished our sight and hearing is and she understood. It obviously wasnt such a problem that she made us leave or not wan tus back, but we have to make sure we dont violate this, we are in the non scary part after all. Any weapons that are questionable can be preapproved by her, she would he happy to have another meeting later.

Vivian is super nice and I really hope we dont upset her. These rules must be adhered to, especially by the new people who have not experienced such as major event. This is THEevent of the year because over 4000 people or more will see us, see our banners, get cards, and some will want to join.

2. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Brainstormin time!

I hate to say it but our backdrop might actually cause too many people to stop to want their picture in one place...thoughts?

What do you guys think of posters randomly displayed with images like this

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/TucsonFanForce/Parties/100_1686.jpg]
    or this, showing some of the stuff we do

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/TucsonFanForce/050606%20Metabolic%20Festival/Makingnewfriends.jpg]

3. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    I wonder if she was the ..."lady" who told me to put away the bowcasta on that Sunday night. On behalf of Jango, Bly, and myself, if that's her attitude on weapons,then we just won't show![face_whistling]
    [face_whistling]
    [face_whistling] :D Yeah, like that is gonna happen!:D
    Okay, so basicly, ONLY the Sith and Jedi are going to be "armed". If we should invite the DSG to this and some of them choose to accept and show, they need to know that, too.

Seriously, I understand her position. I am always frightened when somebody points a painted 2x4 with rubber balls glued to a stick and sheet metal at me.:rolleyes:

4. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    You all know my opinions on the weapons...so I am not gonna say anything except this. I will holster my pistols, and they will stay there..if thats not good enough, I'll spend Halloween in Phoenix with my DSG brothers.

5. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    Well I have to admit that the holsters are a big part of my costume. Here is a question, what if I wire in my blasters? That way I am unable to pull them out. Myself I have not spent alot of time on my blasters but as for Jack and Frankie who have spent alot of time and money on them that is an integral part of their costume. I will leave my blasters at home if I truly need to, but I would much rather wire them in.

6. KickingnScreaming

KickingnScreaming Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2006
    The blasters can come but they must remain holstered. I can get zip ties from work, as many as everyone needs. TO be fair jack from your towering height last year someone could probably not tell how real or fake your blaster was, even though we did reassure them several times. Anyways, every other weapn we have should be acceptable, lightsaber, force pike etc.

7. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Oh, so all the humanoids get to carry their weapons, but not the Wookiee?!?
    This is a blatantly specist/racistattitude on the part of the zoo people. Oh wait, they're people, so they get to carry weapons, too!! Like that guy over there with the tranquilizer rifle, he gets to carry it and point it at...OOWW! Hey, idiot, what's the big ideea wit thejsa dkar;t'.alfd'.....zzzzzzzzzzzz...[face_tired] I-) I-)

8. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I will do what is asked of me.

If I am the guard I'd look kinda silly without the pike... kinds like a large (not a term use often for me) red jelly bean

9. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    Jack, Jack you awake over there? I think the zookeppers just shot Jack in the buttox.......

10. KickingnScreaming

May 26, 2006
    Cat,

I will be coming and helping the guys on the first night as Leia.

Would you like to borrow the Leia costume for the other nights? It would be a way for you to dress-up and not have anything on your head, because I heard you might not be able to do Shaak Ti because of the weight of the headress.

Let me know.

11. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I would be honored to wear the Leia dress.. thank you for the offer.just not sure if I am small enough to get into it.. if I lose enough weight between now and then I will be thrilled with the idea :)

12. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Will the real 2006 Howl-a-ween thread please stand up?

13. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    lEAVE IT TO JACK TO REVEAL ME AS A FRICKIN MORON!! [face_beatup] Ah well, it aint hard.

14. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    In no conceivable way am I inferring that anyone is a "FRICKIN MORON", but for the record, wasn't it Frankie that "bumped" the old zoo thread up?

15. KickingnScreaming

May 26, 2006
    Date Posted: 8/4 6:52pm Subject: RE: REID PARK ZOO HOWLOWEEN 2006
    Will the real 2006 Howl-a-ween thread please stand up?

16. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    arent "ya'll" glad i didnt move. Ill be there and I may have 3 different costumes: 1 for each night!!!!!!!!!!

YAY DARKSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [face_skull] :mad: [face_pumpkin]

17. jedirevan1

jedirevan1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2006
    YAY DARKSIDE!!

I'm glad you didn't move, so's Brian. [face_dancing] I'll be there all 3 nights also.

18. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Awesome! You're lightsabers will look great. Ill have an update for the meeting, anyone have any questions they'd lik eme to ask the zoo coordinator?

19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    No wonder I couldn't find this thread.. it had landed at the bottom of page two....

bumping it for current events.

20. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    You know, I was really looking forward to actually doing this at least one night this year, but something has come up for me. That exact weekend, we in the Band (yes, all 260 of us) are traveling to LA for a few performances. On Satruday, we perform at the LA Collesium for a High School Band Competition. On Sunday, we perform the world's most depressing and dark music, at the Happiest Place on Earth, Disneyland. We actually leave on Friday night, and get back on Monday morning. You guys have a lot of fun, and maybe [face_praying] I can do this event next year.

21. Mugen

May 7, 2005

:mad: [image=http://www.angrybanana.freeservers.com/images/angry_banana.jpg]

22. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    enjoy the trip Tim.. you deserve some fun in the middle of the school year!!

23. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    I think we should organize who dresses as what at the zoo, just so we can plan accordingly. I guess we can talk more about this on Sunday at the comic shop meeting. Do we have a complete list on who is gonna be there for sure?

24. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Looks like I might only be able to come on the Friday...I'm going to be going to Chicago that weekend for a food expo (I'm excited, I've never been to Chicago, and it's a free trip!)

25. jedirevan1

jedirevan1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2006
    I'm planning on being at the zoo all 3 nights. 1 of those nights, possibly more, will be as Darth Revan.