main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Reign of Fire!! This Friday!!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Chocolate, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    And in the last days, man shall awaken the beast of ancient ages and legends lost. The beast will rise and take to the sky, carrying with them flame and death. The cities of man shall burn and fall as the sun sets on mankind. For the time shall come when humans shall no longer bare the mantle as the dominant race on Earth. And there shall be a kingdom of Dragons... a Reign of Fire!!

Friday night. Cinemark Legacy. Exact showtime to be announced when we confirm if/when there is a DLP showing.

2. HoboZuckuss

HoboZuckuss Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    I'm there! Been waiting for this movie for a little bit. I had a slight Dragon obsession for a while when I was younger so I'm excited. Now I just have to cross my fingers that'll there'll be a DLP showing.

3. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    Nonsense, there has been a dragon around these parts for over a thousand years

--Bilbo

4. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Crap...I'll be out of town this weekend. Oh well. :)

:cool:

5. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    They're still playing Lilo and Stitch, and ATOC on the DLPs at the Legacy.

But I'm gonna try and make it.

:)

REIGN OF FIRE
    ( PG13:Intense action violence, 102 min.)
    Now showing on 2 screens.

9:00am 11:00am 11:40am 1:40pm
    2:20pm 4:15pm 5:10pm 7:05pm
    7:50pm 9:45pm 10:30pm

6. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Then I would propose we go to either the 7:50 or the 9:45 showtime. I personally would prefer the 7:50, and then we all go out for munchies and some drinks afterwards.

Any objections??

7. HoboZuckuss

Jun 5, 2002
    Either one is fine with me but the 7:50 would probably work out best. I might head home after that though, depending upon the wishes of my mother. She still likes to have a little control here and there. I'll definitely be there for the movie though.

See ya there.

8. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    L8R the better for me [and tony doesnt get off work until 10p]

gonna do a noonish show of road to perdition then catch ROF with you guys.

9. Epyon22

Epyon22 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    Allright finally a gathering that I will be able to attend, been busy lately. Either time will be good for me.

10. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Well, I just called the Legacy and discussed the DLP issue and questioned which showtimes were in what theater. Here were the answers:

RE DLP: not really sure why they do not have DLP, but he thinks that the studio decided to not digitize the print. (based on that info, it prolly isn't DLP anywhere)

RE Showtimes: it's playing in theaters 12 (the big one) and 15 (15 is like 10, it's a smaller house). both are Dolby Dig, so no diff in the sound. the 7:50 we were tossing around IS in the largest theater (#12).
    -------------------------

conclusion:

No DLP.

We shall make the official showtime 7:50 as this is the best theater and seems to be the time that best accomodates everyone wishing to attend.

I'll be up there by 7'ish in the little cafe up front. See you all tomorrow!! :)

11. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    Hope ya'll had fun.

Was it any good?
    I was actually leaning toward seeing Road to Predition, I figured that would be the choice for this week.

Hope to see ya Sun!!
    :)

12. jango-joe1

jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    Everybody I know has been hyping this movie...so I just want to know if it was good

Joe

13. HoboZuckuss

Jun 5, 2002
    I really liked it. They did a great job with the visual effects and stuff. The three people that came with me complained abou tit being to slow but i don't think they know what they're talking about. I would recommend seeing it.

I was also thinking, anyone up for seeing Eight legged freaks this wednesday (the 17th)? That movie looks slightly amusing.

14. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    HELL YES Reign of Fire is a good movie! One of the best "dragon" movies i've ever seen. And as stone said, it's also a good "post-apocolypse" movie too. And I had seriously high expectations going into this movie. I have always loved dragons and medieval fantasy. This movie actually made me fear dragons. And i haven't felt that way since i saw "Dragonslayer" as a kid. "Reign" portrays dragons in a way very few movies have, not magical, not beautiful (except in that demented way), but terrifyingly deadly. Seeing the dragons flying over London was just awe-inspiring, and down right scary.

I am smitten with this film.

Oh, and you bet i'll go see Eight Legged Freaks with you Hobo. I love a good B flick any day. Combine that style of movie with modern day effects?? Hell yeah! And for once I think that David Arquette may be good for a roll.

15. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    I also meant to comment on the fact that your friends thought it was slow. Were they expecting an action-only movie?? This movie actually had story, plot, some character development, and even some character evolution. It wasn't the all-action Godzilla movie from 1998. They actually gave some back ground story and tried to put you in the situations the characters were facing. There were times that I felt like i was in that castle when it was being attacked... or that I was Quinn facing off that dragon. (trying to stay spoiler free, you know what i'm talking about).

EDIT
    ----
    Oh, and the beasts are intelligent. They use strategy in their attacks (you'll see what I mean, especially in the "garden".

EDIT
    ----
    Also, there is a great Star Wars reference in the movie as they re-enact the scene on Bespin between Luke and Vader in a mock-play.

16. DonnovanSunrider

DonnovanSunrider Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    I saw it today too, and I agree with Darth Chocolate. This film is a great piece of fantasy/smart adventure cinema.

I think Dragonslayer was the top dragon film until thus far, but this is now the tops.

One of the things that I keep hearing from detractors is that it actually has a plot, like stated above.
    I'll never understand how anyone could be angry over a film being well written and intelligent rather than the drivel that Hollywood throws at us regularly.

The Rings Trilogy, this, wow. The Fantasy genre is finally getting the respect it deserves as a vehicle for quality storytelling.
    I've got my fingers crossed for King Conan: Crown of Iron.

17. HoboZuckuss

Jun 5, 2002
    Yea, my friends prefer movies where everything is just a constant stream of explosions. They even claimed that this was just another Godzilla movie. My girlfriend just doesn't like sciencifiction or fantasy very much and one of the other two is just A.D.D and the the third will just do whatever the A.D.D kid says. (I hope all that made sense). I totally loved this movie. I like how they actually came up with a good look for the dragons. Especially the way they moved both walking and flying. It was a great movie and I strongly suggest going to see it again.

And I got really excited about the star wars refrecne as well. I meant to bring it up last time but I forgot (how could i forget something like that?!)

Anyway I was thinking and early evening showing of eight legged freaks. Sometime around 7ish maybe. I'll look up exact times in a little bit. I really doubt it's gonna be in digital so i'm not sure if we all wanna drive out ot the legacy or not. Depends on where everyone lives closer to. I'm like five minuetes away from Grapevine Mills some i'm all for going there but i've not objection seeing it in another theatre. Anyway i'll make anothe rpost in a little bit wiht more information.

18. JoraDyn

JoraDyn Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    Sorry I didn't make it to the meeting...I saw it opening day, just earlier because my friend had to go to work. I absolutely loved the movie.

I had been pretty hyped about the film but only for like a few weeks. I hadn't really heard about it until a month ago. But the friend I went with later informed me that she had no clue what the movie was about other than it had dragons. So when we went in and the opening sequence had the little boy walking around--she automatically thought it was going to be like the Neverending Story. She was like "great is the whole story going to take place in some kid's imagination?"

I really like the plot. The story was very creative and believable. Well okay I had a couple of tiny problems with things, but they were easily forgotten. I feel like I should change my major and study archeology in hopes of being the first to discover dragon bones!!

I thought the movie was also visually beautiful. I like the visual references. I got chills everytime they showed Christian Bale riding the horse with a rifle slung across his back...but the silhouette could easily be one of a knight valiantly riding atop his noble steed. I really really adore this film.

19. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    You're right Jora, about the visual imagery. I think i even said something of that sort to either Stone or Hobo after the show too. The one scene where Quinn is riding back to the castle, coming through the portcullis (about halfway through the movie, after Van Zan has already left) and he is surrounded by ember sparks flying everywhere... that was absolutely beautiful. Same with the Dragon perched atop the castle. Stunning.

I'll never forget the snarl of the dragon... showing his teeth. Much like a dog, growling and making himself look more ferocious to a rival predator.

I'm going again tomorrow afternoon or evening. If anyone wants to join me, email me and we'll hook up.

20. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Late notice, but Brandon and I are gonna go catch ROF at the Cinemark Tinsletown in Plano at 3:30. Anyone is welcome to come along.

21. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    i sure hope the don't go jurassic park on this film and start cranking out crappy sequels. one _good_ movie and leave it alone, but alas, that prolly wont happen.

and speaking of JP, all they gotta do is bring up the whole: they were all females too, but in the wild with the abscence of a male, one of the females will change to a male. that's just biology 101, and bingo-bango you got yourself a sequel.

but please, in the name of all thats holy, don't do it.

22. Carmen

Carmen Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Actually, I didn't care for it.

I definitely agree that the dragons were the best I've ever seen on the screen. If anyone ever does a live action version of The Hobbit, I want those guys handling the CGI for Smaug.

I also rather liked Quinn and his goofy pal. They did a good job. "Did you make that up?" Priceless.

What really bothered me was Van Zam's little speeches. The first one was OK, but the second one was irritating, and the third one ("We can bring down the beast!") started making me check my watch to see if it was over yet.

His leap towards Big Daddy Dragon (the one seen in the previews) made me wince, but no more so than watching the fighting at Medieval Times.

Everything in the second half seemed a little too long to me. The first time Van Zam & Co. went up against Big Daddy, the whole attack sequence against the castle, the final fight...every sequence just seemed about five minutes too long.

First half okay, second half almost put me to sleep. All in all, I was disappointed.

23. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    I really liked it, myself. And I can't agree about Van Zan, as I thought his character was awesome. His character was one of those rare people that is probably a hopeless failure in normal life. Someone that never really achieves much and never really strives to achieve much. But in extreme circumstances, such people become almost super-human.

Some people are born to be warriors and there isn't much else they're ever good at. And that's what his character is. He believed in the survival of mankind and he was willing to do whatever it took to make sure that happened. No regrets, no compassion, no feeling. He left that for the others to do. His role in life was to kill to protect others. And he did it marvelously.

I really liked his speeches, too. I don't really agree with the new concept that things like high ideals and patriotism are cliche. I think they're very noble and evoke within me the feelings that some things are worth protecting.

Plus, how about that physical transformation the pot-smoking bongo player did!!! He was hardly recognizable with his new Arnold physique.

All in all, I really loved the movie.

24. Nightcrawler13

Nightcrawler13 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
    Saw ROF yesterday and loved it!

I agree with Stone in that I don't want to see JP all over again but I would like to see maybe a comic book series about this. Something drawn by Brett Booth and tell stories from around the world about the rise of the dragons. Even if the only thing worse that dragons are Americans, I think the tales of American dragon fighters would be great! Imagine the visuals of dragons flying across the NY skyline.

Maybe put Chris Bachelo on a good tale of the survivors in the tunnels of NY?

What about some of the military fighting dragons on the open seas from battleships?

I dunno I would like to see more stories.

Anyhoo...

After seeing Matthew McConaughey as Van Zan I have a hard time imagining him dancing around in the nude, smoking out while playing the bongos.
    If it went for that instance I think I would have a serious man-crush on him. I'd probably smoke out with him too also long as he kept the clothes on!
    He was just too freaking cool in that flick!!

25. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    "Man-crush"?!?! Are you having some problems in your married life, Clay?

*nudges Branson*
    [whisper] I think the honeymoon is over. [/whisper]

Seriously, McConaughey is one heck of bad-a$$ in ROF. Hmmm, what is my favorite quote from him now....

"We can do this the easy way, or we can do this the REAL easy way." [face_devil]

or

"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age." ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.