main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reinstate Darth Sapient Petition Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord_NoONE, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    LOL

To be fair, though, an initial investigation to the matter would have done little to ease anyone's concerns. The Privacy Policy on collectingHQ's site states:

From time to time, CHQ may sell, barter or trade parts of or the entire list of registered users to advertisers, sponsors or partners. [i]You may elect to not have your registered address used in this manner on the registration page[/i].[hr][/blockquote]
    Yet a quick visit to the registration page will show that this is false - there is no 'opt-out' option on the registration page. And in order to get beyond that page, you have to submit your info. So, you have to submit your info and [i]then[/i] ask CHQ not to use it for profit (although really it only states that your [b]address[/b] won't be used in that manner... it says nothing about your name or email address).

Thus, even if [b]Sapient[/b] looked into it, he wouldn't have found much comfort from CHQ's site. Only through communication with Philip would any comfort come... and apparently Sape got a note that stated something about the boards possibly being shut down, thus he reacted.

Vertical

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    hey...Sapient is a Manager now.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yet a quick visit to the registration page will show that this is false - there is no 'opt-out' option on the registration page. And in order to get beyond that page, you have to submit your info. So, you have to submit your info and then ask CHQ not to use it for profit (although really it only states that your address won't be used in that manner... it says nothing about your name or email address).

Thus, even if Sapient looked into it, he wouldn't have found much comfort from CHQ's site. Only through communication with Philip would any comfort come... and apparently Sape got a note that stated something about the boards possibly being shut down, thus he reacted.

Without comment on the subject at hand, Philip informed all of us that we were all going to automatically be opted-out before he demoted anyone.

4. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    Without comment on the subject at hand, Philip informed all of us that we were all going to automatically be opted-out before he demoted anyone.

When did he say that? I don't remember hearing that...

5. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I absolutely see what you're saying, Vert. But again, it doesn't quite add up for me, at least. Because Sapes said himself in various places, it seems he didn;t want to give up his anonimitytytyty. Not so he could avoid sales pitches or what have you. And, as Jim said a couple of pages back:

"I can tell you that I signed up myself -- when I was checking it out for a couple of other mods -- and it's quite obvious what information is asked for. How anyone could be confused as to the data wanted is beyond me. "

That is my only issue. All this was caused because he didn;t check it our properly. It makes it sound like he didn't even look at the site.

At this point I'd also like to make a joke about The Passion of the Duct Taped Genitals, but can't be bothered to weave it in.

6. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I agree with all of that, Ignant, definitely. I'm just thinking that there may have been other concerns Sapient had such as who would have access to the info, when and why it might be used, etc., that only Philip could have told him.

And if Philip did state from the beginning that all mod registrants would be automatically opted out, that was not the impression I got... but as I have said, all of my info is second-hand, so I concede that it is not reliable.

Vertical

7. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    "When did he say that? I don't remember hearing that..."

You were probably distracted by something shiny.

8. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    i just re-read the two posts by PW in the mod squad - neither of them say anything about opting out.

it's something i asked again AFTER the demotions started, but i lost access to the MS before the question was answered.

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    We were not informed at the beginning that all moderators would be opted out.

Of course, people's definition of "beginning" may vary. The initial details amounted to a short e-mail that requested our personal information. After that, it took some cajoling for Philip to grace the presence of the Mod Squad, where he proceeded to insult people for their privacy concerns.

Apologies have apparently followed since then, but let's not forget the initial confusion.

10. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    "I agree with all of that, Ignant, definitely."

Case closed. Like a smart democrat or a compassionate republican, us both being wrong is an impossibility.

11. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    let's also not forget the fact that none of the demoted mods have seen any of these apologies or explanations since they were made after we lost access to the MS

12. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    And, if we are to believe Philip's explanation, the ones who were demoted were the ones we wouldn't want around our families. [face_plain]

13. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    "let's also not forget the fact that none of the demoted mods have seen any of these apologies or explanations since they were made after we lost access to the MS "

Good....good...Post in this thread with all your bitterness, my young apprentice.

And that is an example of what life would be like if I was geeky.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Apologies: my timeline was in error. Philip made his statements post-initial demotions and pre-resignations/pre-second round of demotions.

15. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    I was demoted and lost access to the MS before he'd answered my question. Same with Kate. So it was pre-resignations, but not pre-second round.

16. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    To be fair, though, an initial investigation to the matter would have done little to ease anyone's concerns. The Privacy Policy on collectingHQ's site states:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From time to time, CHQ may sell, barter or trade parts of or the entire list of registered users to advertisers, sponsors or partners. You may elect to not have your registered address used in this manner on the registration page.

Yes, and the privacy policy also states:

Under no circumstances does CHQ divulge any information about an individual user to a third party without permission.

Well...there's a discrepancy.
    And a quick look at the Terms of Service reveals:

Any communication or material you transmit to the Site by electronic mail or otherwise, including any data, questions, comments, suggestions, or the like is, and will be treated as, non-confidential and non-proprietary. Anything you transmit or post may be used by CHQ or its affiliates for any purpose

And another discrepancy. :)

17. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I believe this thread has fulfilled its purpose and it should probably be locked. Either that or a mod needs to change the title of the thread to indicate the new topic that apparently has wrested this thread from its initial purpose.

Anyway, I am glad DS is back but I hope that he has only rejoined the fold of moderators on his own terms rather than caving on principle or otherwise.

18. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Yes, the privacy policy there is a jumbled mess, full of contradictions and discrepencies. Which is why, had I been in that situation, I would have most certainly not provided my information until things were clarified to my satisfaction, where I knew who would have my info, and for what it would and wouldn't be used.

Vertical

19. Darthette

Darthette Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2003
    You are now officially wasting your time

Thanks, I'll decide for myself when I'm wasting my time.

20. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I've been wasting time for practically 6 solid years now. I don't need a heads up.

Vertical

21. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    You are now officially wasting your time

Shouldn't that be the welcome message whenever you log in?

22. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002

I'll be the judge of that.

23. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000

You're three pages late. Was there nothing better to reply to than that?
    Besides, if you don't realize that all of your time spent on the JC is wasted, then you shouldn't be making decisions for yourself.

24. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Will you decide everything for me now, Dani?

25. FateNaberrie

Jan 31, 2000
    No, that's Jim's job. Please read threads before you post in them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.