Relay for Life 2005 - October 15th

Discussion in 'Orange County, CA' started by LordJedi, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    We're doing Relay for Life again this year. This years event will be in Tustin at the following location:

Columbus Tustin Middle School
    17952 Beneta Way
    Tustin, CA 92780

We'll be asking a lightsaber fighting group to put on a show for us, have some costuming photo ops, games, prizes, and a whole lot more. More information will be posted as it becomes available, so check back often!
  2. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA

VIP
    star 3
    Do we have a confirmed bank night?
  3. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Next Saturday, 10am. We'll meet at the same place we have our monthly meetings, the Denny's on Beach Blvd.

I got an email from William. He won't be able to make it, so no Darth Vader from the 501st. He has forwarded the message on to the rest of the garrison.
  4. crazybirdman Force Ghost

star 4
    DO we have even a vague schedule of events yet? One for us, and any ideas what the other teams are planning? We don't want the pictures, and the saber battle to conflict with anything the other teams are doing.
  5. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Unfortunately, we don't, but we can start planning one for ourselves. The captains meetings have been fairly uneventful of late. Irene went to the one this past Thursday. She said it was just her and one of the guys on the committee. This, after another team captain called all the team captains to let them know about the meeting.

We're still waiting to hear if we'll have power for a video game challenge, so I propose a change. Instead of doing video games, let's do a trivia quiz. We can use the Star Wars trivial pursuit game and charge $1 for a chance to answer a star wars question and win a prize (action figure or something). We probably have enough prizes to do at least 5 questions and we can spread them out through the day, like we plan to do with the raffled gift baskets.

We should be good to go on anything else (as long as it doesn't require power), we just need to develop a schedule. It might be best to just raffle off one basket per hour starting at 12pm. That way, by the time we get to 5pm, they'll all be raffled.

With the weather acting crazy lately, I'm hoping it's nice that day. We should be able to do 30 minute shifts on the track. I'll be starting first at 10am so anyone else can go after me. Aaron and Rion are the only two people on the team that are involved in choreography, so they might want to get their walking done earlier in the day.

Here's the team list so we don't lose it when the site goes down:

Myself (captain)
    Irene
    Rion
    James
    Valerie
    Carrie
    Anthony
    Aaron
    Dustin
    The Ewok - not sure if he's still on the team or not, I'll find out.
    Alex
  6. crazybirdman Force Ghost

star 4
    what time will we do pictures wilth people in costumes, and what time for the saberbattle?
  7. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
    I was going to make a smart alec comment about the saber battle being after it gets dark, but I'll refrain. ;)
  8. crazybirdman Force Ghost

star 4
    Why would it need to be . . oooohhhh yeah. :p
    Just don't forget about the big cerimony they do at night too. We can't interupt that.
  9. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA

VIP
    star 3
    If we are still doing a saber battle, maybe I should consult with my other club and get them to start working on choreo and so forth.
  10. dustinbrewer Jedi Knight

star 2
    Barry,

I understand you have alot of booty for the baskets, but do we have baskets and wrapping for them? If not, let me know how many baskets we need and maybe i could handle that part. I'm trying to think of more stuff to do to raise money AT the event since my donation collection is pretty much non existent.

Should we have a mini team meeting between now and the Relay to really get everything dialed in?
  11. crazybirdman Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't forget that if you have any goodies for the gift baskets, we'll need them turned in at bank night. That way there's time to make the baskets before the event. Also don't forget the October Monthy Meetig will be at Relay.
  12. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA

VIP
    star 3
    I will work on getting stuff for gift baskets. Also, I am harassing everyone for money.

Are we not doing shirts?
  13. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Dustin, yes please get baskets if you can. I seriously think I have more than enough for 5 baskets, so get 5 baskets. Britt happened into TRU when I was getting a bunch of figures for the baskets and I ended up getting all kinds of little trinkets. Can you also pickup raffle tickets when you get the baskets?

Aaron: Yes, please find out if they're going to do choreo. I thought they were and I thought they were already working on it. Also find out how many and what kind of batteries they'll need.

James: Can you still get batteries? If so, bring 12 9 volt batteries and 12 AA batteries. If not, oh well, we'll have to bring our own.

Everyone: The saber battle (if it happens) will take place just after sunset and well before the Luminary ceremony (I think that's at 8pm). It shouldn't last longer than 30 minutes and it really doesn't need to be longer than 15-20. We can have a meeting at bank night to make sure everyone is on the same page. I'd also like to get help from everyone that can be at bank night to put the baskets together. We are suppose to have shirts, I'm waiting for Anthony to send me the graphic that he worked on.

If we have to many goodies to put in baskets, I think we should go forward with my idea for a trivial pursuit contest and prize. Charge $1 to "Test your Star Wars knowledge" and then win a prize. The $1 of course goes to ACS. And if we have enough prizes, maybe we can just raffle more of them off.
  14. dustinbrewer Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ok I'm going to get:

1. Five Baskets and Clear Wrap
    2. One Roll of Raffle Tickets

I will bring these items to Bank Night along with any SW stuff I buy for the baskets.

--Dustin
  15. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA

VIP
    star 3
    Good job Dustin.

I will talk to Don and Smudge about choreo.

I will also bring my canopy to Relay.

I also will be bringing my RV so if we need a fridge or anything then people can use that.
  16. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Everyone post or PM me your shirt sizes so we can get the shirts ordered as soon as the graphic is ready.
  17. dustinbrewer Jedi Knight

star 2
    Dont we have to get a shirt? Trying to stay away from t-shirts personally.
  18. Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Knight

star 3
    my size is Youth Large or Adult Small

this is Rion BTW
  19. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    If you don't want a shirt, you don't have to get one. It would be nice to have everyone on the team wearing some kind of shirt or item of clothing that lets people know you're with OCSWS. So, to make this easier, anyone that wants a short ordered from CafePress once the graphic is ready, please post your shirt size.

There, how's that? :)
  20. Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Knight

star 3
    oh yea what day is bank night? and is it during the day or night?
  21. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Bank night is this Saturday, 10am at Denny's. If you can't make it to that, let me know and I'll arrange time to meet with you before then.
  22. Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Knight

star 3
    that might be a prob you think you can make it wed and well make a shady deal underneath a street light at the park?
  23. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA

VIP
    star 3
    I want a 4X because I am a large dude.

And I will be at bank night.
  24. dustinbrewer Jedi Knight

star 2

Thats cool. I love the art that Anthony's doing by the way. If i could get that art on a button-up collared shirt, now that would be prime.

Maybe we could use that art also for some cheap, couple dozen punker style 1/4 page flyers to hand out at Relay to promote our fundraising raffles over at our campsite? This way we dont have to rely on people maybe hearing the announcer mumbling our raffles over the PA. Well just a thought.
  25. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Sounds like a good idea to me Dustin. We just need to get the artwork so we can get flyers printed up.

Rion: I'll see you at the saber class Wednesday.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.