main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA Relay for Life 2009

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by _Master-Skywalker_, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Ok, back from the meeting at the Encounter Bay Footy Club, and firs thing I noticed.....it's cold. Very cold, at 7pm I suspect it was 10 degrees already so be prepared people. Yes, there are going to be fire barrels, four in all in the centre of the oval, so you have them as warmth. Gas powered heaters are allowed, no fires in individual camps. ;)

The Club Rooms will be open, there will be table tennis set up in there and the toilets inside will be open for use. There are also outside toilets that are well lit and will be cleaned by Saturday. ;) The Canteen will be open and serving Hot Dogs, Hot Chips, Baked Potatoes, Sandwiches, and Soup available for sale till late. The Coffee/Hot Chocolate van will be there again, and will serve as long as people want the stuff.

This year, there will be a 'MISS RELAY' quest, but I am not pressuring anyone to enter. It's up to you lot, if you want to enter, PM me and I can let you know whats needed. Points are awarded for many events like this. There will be a mini Olympics with Sack Races, Obstacle Course and Balloon passing (with no hands!) plus many more events! So be ready for some FUN! There will also be 'Lap Challenges', Poker Laps and Lego Laps, information will be given on the day on how this will work.

As said before, the camps will be on the outside of the oval, still on the actual oval, in front of the barriers, but the walking track will be 12 metres inside the oval. The track will be smaller. It has been requested that our tents face inward this year, toward the centre of the oval, this way we can see all our walkers all the time! There will be a bit of action going on there in the centre for fun, and entertainment ;) [face_shhh]

No camps are to be in front of the Club Rooms up to the goals to the north of the club rooms. This is where the stage, CC tents etc will be. NO ONE is allowed into the Oval Area before 11.30, the GATES WILL BE CLOSED!! So no point in getting there early and having to hang outside, not worth it.

Team Captains will register the arrival of the Team, and during the first hour and half, anyone wishing to register to walk in the Survivor Lap can do this. There will be Relay merchandise and such for purchase as well.

Movies will be shown all day, all night till 6am, and will be rated G, alongside the Massage tent. Only Registered walkers are allowed to use the massage facilities.

Breakfast will be provided to registered walkers only, wrist bands will be issued at the start and checked for breakfast. Bacon, eggs, bread, yogurt, fruit, weatbix, cornflakes and coffee/tea. A Feast!! Starts at 7am, finishes at 8am.

The candlelight ceremony will be at 8.30pm, so all music etc will stop then. All 'tribute/memory' bags/candles should be in place by then. The bags are $5.00 each and sand will be provided for them. This year the candle are battery operated, so no burning bags. They should be placed on the camp side of the track, facing inwards to be read. This is usually a quiet reflective time during the relay.

Alcamahol is allowed, to registered walkers and guests, in moderation. We have to be careful, as apparently one young lady was advertising her 18th to be there on her facebook and everyone to come along, bring booze and get hammered as you can stay the night! Drew made it very clear, no drunkenness will be tolerated, if you drink to much and get out of hand, you will be asked to leave. NO GLASS ON THE OVAL, AT ALL! If you have a beer or such, must be in a can or plastic.

No Star Droppers and no Kebab Skewers for any BBQ's due to the danger of them on the oval for the Football players later in the day.

LOO ROLLS! We have been asked to bring spare Loo rolls as the club will not cover extra loo paper. It was suggested that the rolls be auctioned off to teams who didnt bring enough, so bring them!! Its suggested you take your roll to the loo with you, then you know you will have paper! [face_blush]

Last of all, I have medical information forms. These forms MUST be filled out before the Relay, and MUST b

2. Dark-Lord_Alf

Dark-Lord_Alf Beloved Member of the SA Fan Force 1979-2013 star 4

Mar 19, 2005
    What no SAW ? Geez can't a man watch a quality slasher film in public anymore...not that i'll be watching the movies when i walk just a glance by...

Not even the Star Wars Saga is rated G

G = Gumby

3. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Sorry, but there are about four 'kids' teams this year! So be on the watch out!

Few things I thought of at 4am....the ovals watering system will be marked out, do not punch pegs into it or it will cost YOU! ;)

I wanted to reiterate, BRING WARM CLOTHES / BEDDING! It was 9 here in Adelaide at 4am, so it will be about 5 degrees down there if not less!! Drew joked about it being minus 4, but few laughed! ;) Also, the oval is GREEN!! Very GREEN!! Tarps are recommended under tents due to the moisture in the ground!! Who would have thought? Moisture!?!? :eek:

Now to go yell at Bob Jane T Mart for not putting my spare back properly and having it drop out from under my car whilst driving!!!! :mad:

EDIT: Convoy down to Victor. If anyone wishes to join a convoy to Victor Harbour on Saturday morning, we will be meeting between 10.15-10.30 (leaving at 10.30) on the Side of South Road, (heading South) just before Sherriffs Road/Pimpala Road Intersection in Reynella, parked on the side of the road. This area is also known as 'Fast Food Corner or Junk Food Corner' (see google map for the location.)

This year there are some convoy RULES:

No one will pass anyone, what ever order you take off in, is the order you stay in, for safety reasons.
    No speeding. I am locking in my cruise control ;)
    Keep a distance of at least 2-3 seconds between each car, no tail gating.
    Some of us will have 'Walkie Talkies', if people wish to stop or see another team member stopping/pulling over, those with the 'Walkie Talkies' please advise the rest of us.

also

Let me know now if you wish to stop in Mt Compass for one of their Bakeries special pies or donuts, we can do that as long as we all are in the know. It's dangerous trying to pull several cars over when some don't know why they are pulling over in town. ;)

Any other questions? No one for Miss Relay? Sabre? DV? :p LOL (They know I'm teasing them) ;)

EDIT Two: TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO BANK MONEY!!! IT MUST BE IN THE BANK BY CLOSE OF TRADING TONIGHT!!!! And Dont forget to bring ALL your receipts for deposits to the Relay and pass them directly to me. I have paperwork to collate it all, and the receipts are very important. ;)

4. DarthVercetti

DarthVercetti Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Money banked, receipt on hand. All set.

Now to start packing!:p

i'll ask mum if she wants to join the convoy. will let you know :D

P.S- New PC? HELLZ YEAH! :D:D:D:D

5. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    I'd be jealous if I didnt have the exact same PC minus Vista :p

gratz though.

6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Well Done Guys!! We are looking really good everyone, thank you to each and every one of you for keeping in contact, keeping me updated and doing your part. I know I appreciate it.

Just a side thought, Drew reminded us this year that you win HUGE points for registering your team for next year at this years Relay. We could do it, it'd cost us $10 each and we'd be able to start working towards next year as soon as we wanted. So, I urge you all to think about it, $10 isn't much, and it could have us as 'Team Number one!' I'd be happy to put my $10 forward.

7. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    Weather still seems to be staying dry.. but it will be very cold.

As Addie has said many times, remember all to pack your jumpers, rugs and quilts... we're in for a cold one.

Forcast is still reading 7-8 minimum which may still go down [face_worried]

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Yup!! Gonna be cold.

It's gonna be lots of fun people, a few surprises and cold..... :p

I have started putting stuff out to take, packing the kids beanies and gloves, packing extra blankets and popping in an umbrella just in case. ;)

9. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    anyone who could work out a way to attach an umbrella to their saber... a late baton chance isnt out of the question..... LOL!

:p

10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    LOL!

Counting down now guys!!!

RELAY ON!! [face_dancing]

11. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    I need to buy some batteries for my torch.

12. LittleTinGoddess

LittleTinGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 7, 2006
    I'd be more than happy to have DV or Sabre join me on my shift. Or anyone else for that matter!

Oh will there be urns there for hot water? So I could bring cup a soups?

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    They said there'd be tea and coffee, so I don't think they'd have much issue with you taking just hot water for soup. ;)

Remember, you get a hot breakfast too for registered walkers!

14. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    REMEMBER YOU PLATES AND CUTLERY!!!!

I've forgotten every year since the first :p

trust me, waking up to scrounge for a plate or worse, going without breakfast, is not fun.

15. Dark-Lord_Alf

Mar 19, 2005
    Also the Shirts...I almost forgot...slaps self on hand

I very much plan to walk wit either team...there are those I wish to catch up with :)

16. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    *never got his shirt*

Oh well, by the looks of the weather, even if I wore it no one would see it :p

17. GoddessJainaSoloFel

GoddessJainaSoloFel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2004
    7-8 degrees??? That's t shirt weather ;)

I'm looking forward to catching up with those I haven't had a chance to see yet!!! Woohoo let's have a fun weekend everyone! :)

18. Merrick77

Merrick77 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 28, 2007
    And the bikies aren't going on their ride there tomorrow either! have fun folks.

19. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    They're not!?!? The News says they are!

The Victor Harbour Mayor has welcomed them in a news report....Justifier says we might be held up for hours if we get caught behind them......but if they go past, we might just take the back way to Victor ;) There are TWO ways. ;)

20. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    Always two there are, no more ... no less.

21. Dark-Lord_Alf

Mar 19, 2005
    Note to self....

BRING THE RELAY BATON !

If i forget may i be beaten to a pulp with an Artifical Limb

22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Who has an artificial limb to beat you with!?!? I have a back up if you did forget ;)

Packing the car soon, throwing in a couple tarps to put under the tents, to keep them dry. Those with tents might consider doing the same, the oval will be damp, very. The Rain is predicted to stop by tomorrow though, so fingers crossed.

DON'T FORGET TO BRING YOUR RECEIPTS!!!

23. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    Don't forget to charge the camera batteries ;)

24. Merrick77

Merrick77 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 28, 2007
    Yeah ACA said bikies run cancelled, otherwise Justifiers right about being stuck!

hope the weather clears up! All the best folks.

25. TK1571

TK1571 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2003
    See you all there, have a safe trip down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.