main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA Relay For Life 2010 - Photos, Prizes and Aftermath.......

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Adalia-Durron , Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Yesterdays Advertiser: Yesterday was World Cancer Day

This event is organised by the International Union Against Cancer (UICC) and supported by the World Health Organisation, which is working to raise awareness of cancer prevention around the world.

Cancer will be diagnosed in 23 Australians today, but experts say research here and around the world means more than ever will survive the dreaded disease. Diagnoses of cancer and the number of deaths from the disease continue to grow in Australia. Almost 12,000 more Australian die each year from cancer than 30 years ago - largely because of the nations growing and ageing population.

Nearly 44,000 Australians will die of cancer this year, but death rates from most forms of cancer are falling. Increasingly effective treatments for cancer developed through intense and ongoing research, have brought the number of deaths from the disease per 100,000 people down by nearly 15 per cent in the past 30 years. Nearly two thirds (60 per cent) of cancer patients will survive more than five years after diagnosis and the survival rates for many common cancers have increased by more than 30 per cent in the past two decades.

Some Facts:

Prostate Cancer: More than 16,000 new cases a year (nearly 30 per cent of male cancers). Risk of being diagnosed by age 85 is one in five. Kills more than 29000 men a year.

Melanoma: More than 10,000 new cases as year (10 per cent of all cancers). Risk of being diagnoses by age 85 is one in 14 for men and one in 22 for women. Kills more than 1200 people a year.

Lung Cancer: About 9180 new cases a yyear (9 per cent of all cancers and 19 per cent of cancer deaths). Risk of being diagnosed by 85 is one in 12 for men and one in 24 for women. Kills more than 7400 people a year.

Bowel Cancer: More than 13,000 new cases a year. Risk of being diagnosed by age 85 is one in 10 for men and one in 15 for women. Kills more than 4160 people a year.

Breast Cancer: More than 12,000 new cases a year. Risk of being diagnosed by age 85 is one in nine for women and one in more than 700 for men. Kills more than 2700 women and about 19 mean a year.

Some sobering facts IMHO, and a reminder as to why we do this event. There are very few people in this world escape the touch of this horribe disease, it touches most of us in some way through friends, distant relatives or close loved ones. So......in the immortal words of Darth Meanders....Relay On! [face_dancing]

2. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    Hear, hear!! [:D]

3. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Oh Shush up! You pushed my important information back a page! :p

4. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    Was it important? I didn't read it :p

5. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Reposted for those who missed it!!!

Yesterdays Advertiser: Yesterday was World Cancer Day

This event is organised by the International Union Against Cancer (UICC) and supported by the World Health Organisation, which is working to raise awareness of cancer prevention around the world.

Cancer will be diagnosed in 23 Australians today, but experts say research here and around the world means more than ever will survive the dreaded disease. Diagnoses of cancer and the number of deaths from the disease continue to grow in Australia. Almost 12,000 more Australian die each year from cancer than 30 years ago - largely because of the nations growing and ageing population.

Nearly 44,000 Australians will die of cancer this year, but death rates from most forms of cancer are falling. Increasingly effective treatments for cancer developed through intense and ongoing research, have brought the number of deaths from the disease per 100,000 people down by nearly 15 per cent in the past 30 years. Nearly two thirds (60 per cent) of cancer patients will survive more than five years after diagnosis and the survival rates for many common cancers have increased by more than 30 per cent in the past two decades.

Some Facts:

Prostate Cancer: More than 16,000 new cases a year (nearly 30 per cent of male cancers). Risk of being diagnosed by age 85 is one in five. Kills more than 29000 men a year.

Melanoma: More than 10,000 new cases as year (10 per cent of all cancers). Risk of being diagnoses by age 85 is one in 14 for men and one in 22 for women. Kills more than 1200 people a year.

Lung Cancer: About 9180 new cases a yyear (9 per cent of all cancers and 19 per cent of cancer deaths). Risk of being diagnosed by 85 is one in 12 for men and one in 24 for women. Kills more than 7400 people a year.

Bowel Cancer: More than 13,000 new cases a year. Risk of being diagnosed by age 85 is one in 10 for men and one in 15 for women. Kills more than 4160 people a year.

Breast Cancer: More than 12,000 new cases a year. Risk of being diagnosed by age 85 is one in nine for women and one in more than 700 for men. Kills more than 2700 women and about 19 mean a year.

Some sobering facts IMHO, and a reminder as to why we do this event. There are very few people in this world escape the touch of this horribe disease, it touches most of us in some way through friends, distant relatives or close loved ones. So......in the immortal words of Darth Meanders....Relay On! [face_dancing]

6. GuriWannabe

GuriWannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2005
    I've just been approved for 3 weeks of long service leave from the 1st to the 19th of March, for last min costume and relay preparations, and then time to recover after the relay, not to mention the AC/DC concert :p

Also on the 18th Feb I have a workplace committee meeting and I am bringing up the suggestion for a fundraising casual day at my work, therefore anyone dressed in casual attire has to pay a donation, I'm going to suggest that this casual day be for Friday the 26th Feb, this is the last day before I go on leave.

7. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    That sounds totally wonderful Guri!!! I hope your boss sees the benefits of it! Print out hte above facts and show them, might help! RELAY ON!!!! [face_dancing]

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Ok, the kit arrived just a few minutes ago. I received only ONE receipt book, so I have divided it up a bit to distribute it. The Copies of all Receipts MUST be returned to me, this is very imporetant. Also, if you get a purple box, it also MUST be returned to me. Sadly only FOUR of these have been given to us. I will do my best to send them to those who have asked.

Additionally, please can you PM me your T Shirt size, so I can order your shirts for the day!

9. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    Raided the recyclable cans and bottle left over from the office Christmas party, so Miss Meanders scored another $30 for he total. She's almost there.

And MrsMeanders is chipping in from spring roll sales, so if anyone wants any left me know.

10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    That's fabulous DM!! She's over half way by alot!! We still have half the last lot of spring rolls we ordered, ate half on Sunday night for dinner! YUMMY!!!!

Got this email today.

Thank you for your teams? registration in the 2010 Victor Harbor Relay For Life. Your support is appreciated and all funds raised from the event go directly towards Cancer Council?s research, education and support programs.

Get Others Involved

With such a worthy cause at hand, if you know anyone else (who is not in your team) and would be interested in participating, please encourage them to register a team at relayforlife.org.au. The more teams participating, the more fun the event will be and the more we can raise for Cancer Council SA.

People take part in Relay for many different reasons, but all have a close connection to the cancer cause. At Relay For Life we remember those who we have lost to cancer, but we also celebrate life and survivorship.

FUNdraising Ideas

We want 2010 to be the most successful Relay yet and we need your help to achieve it. So we wish you the very best for your years fundraising and see if you can beat the goals you have set for yourself and your team.

If you are struggling to think about your perfect fundraising activity, here?s how to raise $150 in ten days:

Day 1: Put your own $10 in

Day 2: Ask your partner or a family member for $10

Day 3: Place a collection box at your local store or café and aim to raise $10 in coins

Day 4: Ask two of your co-workers for $5 each

Day 5: Email three friends and ask them to donate $10 online

Day 6: Mow a neighbour?s lawn for $10

Day 7: Cook a friend dinner in exchange for a $10 donation

Day 8: Ask two people from your local church or community group for $10

Day 9: Ask your boss for $10

Day 10: Sell six Candle Bags for $5 each

For more FUNdraising ideas visit relayforlife.org.au

Thank you once again for your support for the 2010 Victor Harbor Relay For Life and let?s all work together to make it the best relay yet!

Karen Dutton

Relay For Life, Team support

PS ? a great way for your team to get exposure in the town is by putting a story in the paper. Pull together all your team, write a short paragraph on why you Relay, who makes up your team and what fundraising ideas you?ve got coming up, attach a photo and email it through to the Times. It?s a fantastic way of getting your team some great exposure as well as continuing to encourage more teams to register! Contact Karen Dutton on 0421 750 264

Hopefully this helps you guys with your fundraising! A Morning Tea at work, you bake a couple of cakes, and ask for gold coin donations for a piece, telling them all about the cause, and see how fast the $$$ add up! Have friends over for a themed dinner, and put the collection tin out!! My Aunt recently invited friends over for a breakfast for her birthday, and she asked for donations for the Haiti crisis instead of gifts. She raised $260! I'm going to ask a certain 'someone' for a donation instead of a Valentines gift! ;)

11. GuriWannabe

GuriWannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2005
    Information Pack arrived today :)

Thanks [face_love]

12. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    Got mine too thanks :)

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Hopefully everyone has their kits now, and we can get stuck into the fund raising!! RELAY ON!! [face_dancing]

14. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    Yee hah! [face_dancing]

And the last sparkly piece of MissMeanders costume arrived yesterday.

15. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Look forward to seeing it complete!! Speaking of such starts frantically sewing!

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Just a Note Everyone, make sure you keep all receipts from all deposits and make sure you have all deposits made by the Wednesday BEFORE the Relay. ;)

17. LittleTinGoddess

LittleTinGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 7, 2006
    Adam and I are both looking forward to the relay and promoting awareness as Adam's mum passed away from a long and painful battle with breast cancer this morning.

18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Oh NO! LTG, please forward all our warmest wishes and love to Adam on this very sad loss. I cannot tell you how saddened I am by this news. [:D] If there is anything we can do, please just ask. [face_love][:D]

19. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    That's sad news LTG and Adam. My heartfelt condolences to you both.

20. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    $15 of doughnuts, Anzac biscuits, fruit bun and apple-pecan custard Danish goes a long way - over $150 raised at my morning tea at work this morning.

I'm stoked.

Relay on [face_dancing]

21. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    Our thoughts are with Adam at this difficult time, LTG :)

22. PadmeDurron

PadmeDurron Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2009
    Sending my love [:D]@};-

23. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    .. working on a letter box ..

24. LittleTinGoddess

LittleTinGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 7, 2006
    Thankyou Addie, DM, Toddi and Padme. Means alot to Adam and I[:D] [face_love]

25. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    [Mon Mothma]Many cardboard boxes died to build this letterbox [/Mon Mothma]
    [image=http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/Meanders/SAFF/DSCN7907.jpg]

Still needs a bit more work and a lick o' paint :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.