1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Brisbane (11th-13th November), Adelaide (18th-20th November)

Oz Comic Con: 2017

FF:SA Relay for Life - Some team ideas to discuss

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Meanders, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    By having the 501st with us decreases the number? How so? If they can't get 10 next year they wont be there at all, so how is joining us going to decrease them? I know DM struggled this year to get the 10 together. I don't know who will lead them next year, but they may have the same issue. On top of that most the 501st are SAFF anyway.
  2. _Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight

star 5
    I'm just

[image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/_Master-Skywalker_/deadhorse.gif]
  3. Sabre_11 Jedi Knight

star 5

Addie is quite right. I cant see the private sections of the TAG boards, but in the public area there wasnt much of a response. Jabba and I had to join them to get the number to 10, but only just.

I think it would be much better merging the SAFF and 501st. Sure, if next year the 501st get a big response, they can go hell for leather, but as of right now, merging the two would relieve a LOT of pressure on the Imperial Walkers captain.
  4. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    So we aren't allowed to discuss this idea openly? Not everyone sees it all one way or the other, and to discuss it puts ideas out there. Yes, one theme has worked in the past, but there is no reason why we cant have two. There is no reason we can't have a big SW team and another theme, dont matter what, just for variety. Its all ideas and we are all entitled to discuss them.
  5. Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR

star 6
    Would it not be possible for SAFF to field a team, and have some SAFF members help make up the 501st team? The two teams seem to work as a cohesive unit. :)

With new SAFF members on board and enthusiastic about next year, it gives them a chance to experience R4L as a SAFFer!

Just a thought. :)
  6. oz_skipp Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Whilst that would look awesome, I think (if you get one 'main' tent) having a Death Star motif would look even better.

I was involved with a group that made a 20 foot high geodesic dome a few years back that would make a wonderful Death Star...pity it collapsed. That being said, I have contacts that are making one at the moment...

I should get my but down to Victor for one of these someday. My work is getting involved in teh Adelaide one (this week? or has it been?).
  7. starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight

star 5
    I don't remember reading anywhere that said no one was allowed to discuss it. Just opinions.

I'm sorry but I don't agree that 'there is no reason why we can't have two themes'. Sure, another team, yes, with a different theme. But I don't think that having two separate themes within one team has as much impact. That's just my opinion though. I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

I think this year was fantastic with the combined SAFF/501st effort. But that's all Star Wars. Yes, I realise that we all have other costuming interests too, and I have a lot of them.

But for me, SAFF and the Relay is Star Wars. It's now become a personal tradition for me.
  8. _Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight

star 5
    I am only giving my opinion also ;)

seeing as this is a SW forum, not a general costuming group I thought we should theme Star Wars be it with 10, 15 or 20 members is all, it's just my opinion & I never said it couldn't be discussed.

I just think it's weird to be representing a SW group costuming as anything other, which goes for anything, I thought for a second about wearing my new Indy this year & thought, no that would be wrong.

We have members with Battlestar costumes, Stargate costumes anime etc... but to represent SAFF, you should be wearing SW, like I say shoot me if you like & have, but it's just my opinion ;)
  9. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    Sure I saw a dead horse being flogged....thats how I took it, its not worth discussing as its been discussed to death. isn't that what 'flogging a dead horse' means?

Look, I was only putting forth the ideas the whole group talked about at the end of the Relay yesterday, it wasn't just me. I didn't even suggest it, just thought it was a good idea. Its a long way off, we have alot of time to think about it....and talk about it.
  10. _Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight

star 5
    flogging a dead means, we're going round in circles talking about this & we're unlikely to agree & maybe need to agree to disagree on it.

Doesn't mean it can't be discussed ;)
  11. DarthVercetti Jedi Padawan

star 4
    true indeed. I think the one team is better.

A Harry potter team could be cool but would there really be enough people to make a team? It would struggle about as much as the 501st did.

I think we should stick to the one team and the Star Wars team.
  12. Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR

star 6
    There would be enough for a HP team, DV. ;)
  13. _Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight

star 5
    I'm just trying to look out for our best intentions. Our image & the way the group is portrayed publicly. I have nothing against HP & if some organisation wants to do a HP theme I think that's great. I wouldn't like to see it at the expense of SAFF's primary theme which is Star Wars. Like I say, I'm very passionate about SAFF & I ALWAYS want what's best for SAFF. :D
  14. Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR

star 6
    Perhaps the issue has gotten slightly muddled in the discussions?

It may be that some SAFF members are considering a Team HP for next year's R4L, but they obviously couldn't enter under the 'SAFF' name. Though they may use SAFF (forums) as a way of organising things ... even if just initially ... they would enter under another name ie Team HP.

That way the integrity/public portrayal/primary theme of SAFF is maintained.

That's how I see things, and how I've viewed the idea when A-D brought it up after it was initally suggested by someone at R4L.

This is where there may have been some confusion? (And hope this post wasn't confusing) :)
  15. _Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight

star 5
    =D=

that is exactly what I have been saying. I agree with you OWT.
  16. starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight

star 5
    Thanks for the clarification :)

Personally while I think it's a neat idea, I am concerned what this means for a team SAFF.... meaning, will we still have enough members to have a team? We barely had enough for a SAFF team, plus a 501st team this year - how would we go with a third one?? It seems like there will need to be a good number of non-SAFFers involved for it to work.
  17. Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR

star 6
    I think there would be enough 'new' SAFFers (especially if recruitment continues on current form) to fill the gaps. At the end of the day ... it is each individual's choice as to which team they represent. :)
  18. Darth_Meanders Jedi Master

star 5
    Trust me, you didn't miss much. There wasn't a huge response in the private areas of the TAG boards. Most of the work was done talking to people directly. Pretty much 90% or more of active TAG-SA members these days are active in SAFF as well.
  19. Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan

star 4
    And that in it's self is a potential problem

In Fact... my count is 3 TAG SA members aren't members of the SAFF
  20. Darth_Meanders Jedi Master

star 5
    Okay, I'll downgrade my 90% estimate ;)

But you're right. We can only get to all the TAG via the TAG forum, but in the end we didn't end up with any TAG-only team members this year. Next year might be different.
  21. Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan

star 4
    *nods*

Something that we will need to talk about no doubt :)
  22. Darth_Meanders Jedi Master

star 5
    And on the subject of relay themes, even sticking to the Star Wars theme there are things we can do to make us more cohesive as a team.

Jabba suggested, that like one of the other teams, if we get get registered early enough we can do up the relay shirts, maybe screen printing SAFF logos or "Using the Force to find a cure" or similar on the back.

No one at the relay cares if we are SAFF or 501st. At these events perhaps the separate group names should be less to the fore, and simply highlight the fact that we're a bunch of fans joining the cause.

23. Darth_Meanders Jedi Master

star 5
    [face_laugh] You're not selling me on the idea.

Whatever we do, remember we have to be able to transport it to Victor and get it all set up in about an hour. And it shouldn't blow away.

.. has visions of a 20 foot Death Star obliterating all other campsites .... true to form but maybe not too sociable ..

.. has another vision of using a Swiss Ball painted up and rolled around the oval as a baton .. [face_thinking]
  24. LittleTinGoddess Jedi Master

star 4
  25. DarthVercetti Jedi Padawan

star 4
    [face_laugh]

Now THAT would be good. We could use the 20 foot death star as a baton. "OVERTAKE US NOW! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!"

:p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.