main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA Relay for Life - Some team ideas to discuss

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Meanders, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Master-Skywalker_

_Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2005
    Alfie & Guri make excellent collage's !! I don't know if they want to do one, but I'm sure it would look great if they did :D

2. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    That's what I was thinking ;) Flags for those who want to do them, and for those who want to be on the collage... or even if they want to be on both, they can be ;)

3. DarthVercetti

DarthVercetti Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Sounds like a good idea. Will see what i can do for a flag this year. Probably just be four pieces of A4 paper stuck together and drawn on. LOL![face_laugh]

4. TK1571

TK1571 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2003
    i like the collage idea very much ;)

5. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    Had a book sale at work today - getting rid of old stuff that was in the building when we moved in.

[image=http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/Meanders/SAFF/DSCN5669.jpg]

Thanks to work for letting me set this up. I made a nice little profit for RFL :)

6. Phoon

Phoon Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2006
    Hi all, well I've just been reading some of the earlier posts in regards to R4L, and while I was considering joining you all next year, I must say that the above comments were quite hurtful and disrespectful. To categorise the entire 501st with events and opinions of the NO (in Sydney) is both foolish and narrow-minded. Like Toddi suggested; it is unfair to say NO or 501st's primary concern is to get on TV, when we DO put a large amount of time and effort into charities. Maybe those who are prepared to have a dig at the 501st should get their facts straight before shooting off at the hip, and actually visit the TAG boards more often to see just what it is we do, and get involved in.

I know many of you have loyalties to both SAFF and 501st, so are reluctant to speak up over the above raised issue, but I cannot let this go unnoticed. I would do exactly the same thing if one of the 501st/TAG members started having a go at SAFF, saying that they were not as committed as 501st was. The true meaning of 501st and SAFF is to help those less fortunate than ourselves - period! All this inhouse bickering is pointless and not at all why I joined the 501st or SAFF.

To say that we at TAG/501st are only in it for ourselves, or a chance to be on TV is the most insulting thing to say to someone like me, who takes great pride in actually making those less fortunate, smile for a moment and forget about their misfortunes. This is the reason I had no hesitation in boycotting the Norwood Pageant this year for the Marion Game Traders opening, when $500 was offered to go to the Starlight Foundation if we were involved. At first I felt bad for not being involved in the pageant as I had planned to be all along, but considering the comments I have just read, I am happy that I went with my decision.

I feel that if SAFF really wanted 501st to be involved with R4L, posting comments on how uncommitted you think we are to charities, is NOT the way to go. We do need to be able to work together for that common goal, and disrespectful comments are only tarnishing SAFF/TAG 501st relations, not strengthening them. Please think before posting such comments, and think of what the implications may be. If anyone disagrees with what I have said, please don't hesitate to make comment.

7. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Phoon,

I truly am sorry if any of the afore mentioned comments have offended you in anyway, or anyone else for that matter. Speaking of my own personal comments, I did not refer to TAG or the 501st, my comments were about NO & they were probably abit harsh also.

It's possible that my comments have come across more harshly than I had intended. Any group, anywhere doing charity work at any time should be & would be encouraged by myself. I am just dissapointed at the lack of interest & enthusiasm from others in Australia in the R4L event. It's their perogative of course, it's just a little dissappointing is all.

SAFF have been doing it for 2 years now & raised around $10,000 & it is a charity I feel very strongly about. I lost my Mum to cancer a week before Xmas in 2004 & it's made me very driven to do all that I can & encourage others to do all that they can also to rid the world of this terrible disease.

Other SAFFers have also been touched by cancer, some more extremely close to home & I am EXTREMELY proud of SAFF & the effort they put into the relay. They are my family & I love them all.

I encourage the 501st whole heartly to join us at the relay, I couldn't think of anything better than sharing the weekend with the 501st at the relay in 2008.

If the comments have offended, I am sorry, they were not meant to be offensive.

8. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    I can't argue with anything you have said, Phoon.

Since that particular post, M-S has clarified with me what he actually meant. Clarification might be an idea you may want to pursue :).

It's great having you as a part of SAFF. I especially love your distinctive armour and cheekiness (see AAMI Stadium photos :p).

Toddi

9. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Ok, had thoughts, but changed them. I hope this is sorted.

10. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    I say again" Any group, anywhere doing charity work at any time should be & would be encouraged by myself. "

The 501st are more than welcome at the R4L next year & any charity event SAFF participates in. Anything that raises awerness & raises money for a good cause is wholeheartedly encouraged.

11. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    SAFF has a number of members in the 501st and we all think very highly of them. That's why SAFF invited them to join in the R4L next year if they are able to.

Posts aren't easily deleted in these forums, so they stay... even if misunderstandings are resolved off the forums.

I am sorry if you have felt anything other than welcome in SAFF, Phoon.

12. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    I hope that this has cleared some things up, if you or anyone else has any further concerms please feel free to shoot me a PM, or even a phone call I don't mind , my door is always open to any SAFFer about any concern that they might have. :)

13. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Wow.. interesting....

As a 501ster I must say that it really didn't even register as offensive. I knew where he was coming from perhaps.......

14. Phoon

Phoon Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2006
    Okay, thanks for the clarification MS. And, please don't get me wrong, I have always felt welcome with SAFF; you are a great bunch of guys and girls, and very dedicated to charities, especially R4L. I'm guessing most of us have been effected directly or indirectly by cancer, so can understand what an important event this is. As most of you know, I do quite a bit for 501st and TAG, and am passionate and proud of what we accomplish too. To be categorised with the actions of other groups did hurt, and I felt needed to be brought up at the time.

It's true that these forums can be easily misunderstood and in hindsight, I apologise for not sending off a PM for clarification first.

Having said all this, I hope this doesn't change my, or other 501st's, relationship with SAFF. Like I said, we should all be working together for that common goal, and leave any 'differences' we may have, at the door... All sorted? I hope so :)

Phoon.

15. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    [:D]

all sorted ? Absolutely :D

change the relationship between 501st & SAFF ? not in my eyes. Any SW organisation that is helping raise money and awareness of a charity is always welcome at a SAFF event IMHO.

The 501st & SAFF have had a wonderful working relationship & I certainly hope that that will continue long into the future.

I really hope too that the 501st can get a team for the R4L next year & I'd love it if you could be there also Phoon.

[face_peace]

-----------------------------------------

now, the lists :D

SAFF

MS
    SP
    DV
    Addie
    Jabbathenut
    REACTOR_DRONE
    D.D
    SC
    DLA
    GURI
    Kooky's Spirit and (probably) photograph.

501st

Quin
    e-i
    Tyken

what about others...TK, you going to do the relay in 08 ?

16. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    I'm glad that little misunderstanding was sorted out. I think both groups, SAFF and 501st have lot more in common, much more than any differences. But I thought I'd add a few words on my motivation for trying to set up a separate 501st team this year.

I've been deeply involved in the last two SAFF relays and its been a most rewarding, even though at times, frustrating, experience. Now even though there are a lot of us involved in both groups, I wanted to give some other TAG members, who don't usually frequent the SAFF events, an opportunity to be more directly involved in next years event. We've always had troopers help us out with pre-relay fundraising events but its different to the experience of spending a weekend away and living the event. Its one of those things that is too good to keep to yourself. Even the RFL guides suggest if you've already captained a team once, why not try to get more people involved. So that's what I'm trying to do :)

Even so, there are not too many SA-TAG members who are not involved in SAFF, and of those a number of them have young families for whom a weekend away is a huge undertaking. But on the other hand, having an official 501st team in SA might inspire those in other states to have a go as well. Who knows?

MS - 501st/TAG lists are developing on the TAG forums - not quite a team of 10 yet - we might have grab to some of our TAG recruits off your hands *cough* JTN ;)

Phoon - Never be put off making any comments in the threads if you think things are going off the rails. Better to get these things cleared up early on.

[face_laugh] .. realises he's wearing this years RFL T-Shirt ..

17. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    I'd like to be involved this time. Will have to hold that thought for now at least though.

18. TK1571

TK1571 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2003
    Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, Evil_rex and I will be joining the 501st team. we have asked others to join up on the boards but unfortunately it does take time to get people interested in something they have never been told or involved in.

19. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    SAFF

MS
    SP
    DV
    Addie
    Jabbathenut
    REACTOR_DRONE
    D.D
    SC
    DLA
    GURI
    Kooky's Spirit and (probably) photograph.

501st

Quin
    e-i
    Tyken
    Evil Rex
    TK

20. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    New Years sales are a good time to look for a tent for RFL if you don't already have one :)

21. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Have a lovely pink and purple tent!! :D Stands out!!

22. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    really looking forward to it- not all that long now , it's 08 now.

23. TYKEN_BLADE

TYKEN_BLADE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2004
    Have a quick look

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=rQUU8qZWSSo

24. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    I'm going to put in the registration form for the 501st team this week, so I'll be chasing up people for money and details soon :)

And as far as I can tell at the moment...

501st

Quin (TB1254)
    e-i (TB7845)
    Tyken (TR3013)
    Evil Rex (ID3206)
    TK (TK1517)
    Meanders (TI3482)(cpt)
    Luche (TI1387)
    ArcticFox (TC7717) ?
    Phoon (TD7401) ?
    Mrs Phoon?

25. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    alot of that was really hard to watch. Very emotional. but THANKYOUfor making that video & putting it up for view.

It just reiterates ALL the reasons why we do what we do & I'm so blessed to be involved with such a wonderful group of people doing the best that they can do to make a difference.

Bring on Relay 08 !!

& thanks DM, please keep me posted with how the numbers are going :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.