main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padu, KY Relay for Life.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by rodan70, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    How about creating a team of the Paducah Imperials to walk in the Relay for Life in either McCracken county Or in Johnson County, Illinois. Cause I know the one in Johnson, it's in mid june, and since we are part of the community that it would be good idea.

2. Valhalla

Valhalla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2006
    I would be up for it. I lost both of my parents and one grandparent to cancer. Since then I give to St.Judes and ACA on a yearly basis.

3. LordINVAR

LordINVAR Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2002
    I Third the motion.

An Imp Walk for life - in costume? Ought to be GRAND!

4. pacervader

pacervader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2005
    If one of you guys could take the reigns on that one it would really help out. The walk here in KY is in a couple weeks I think and I am swamped in school work so I wouldn't be able to organize it, but it sounds like a great idea. pv

5. TK8049

TK8049 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2006
    when and where cause you know im there. Imperial walkers. Is any one else laughing at that. The only problem I see with this is that these things usually go all night long and under the rules your supposed to have someone in your group walking at all times. I guess the question I'm asking is will everyone that shows up stay all night and if so will they walk.Find out more info on it and post it on the boards.I think it would be awesome we could cook out,play minis,watch movies,build GONKS,get your @$$ kicked by me in STAR WARS Trivial Pursuit,the fun never ends.

6. LordINVAR

Mar 13, 2002
    I LIKE it!

It will be like waiting in line all night long for a new Star Wars movie that is not coming out!

Ahhhhhh. memmories.......

Could be a blast. If we made it one.

7. Nardo

Nardo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2006
    That sounds like a great idea. I would love to participate.
    Imperial walkers... that is a good one.

8. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    so is anyone working on this thing?? i thought it was a good idea. I wouldn't mind helping, but have no info on it.

9. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    k. well i just went online, and the mccracken county one is 5/19. That is really soon. I am not so sure we could get everything together for it. Opinions? Maybe we should plan for next year, and do it right? Just a thought.

10. Valhalla

Jan 26, 2006
    Ok Ladies Gentlemen and other species,

I called the McCraken County office for the American Cancer Society today. The walk as Nardo relayed "snicker" to us is May 19th. For us to enter a team captain must be chosen to go to meetings and collect money. Each team (comprising of 2 to 15 people) holds a cost of $150 to enter. This is to cover the cost of T-Shirts, tent, and other hand outs that are given during the evening. May 15th what they call "Bank Night" when all Fund raising earnings are turned in. You may also do fund raising at the event itself. She mentioned some teams bring grills and sell food, some bring drinks for sell. Usually they can get these items donated. The event night fundraiser that really intrigued me was the face painting. If we could get our costumed crew, Vader, troops, Leia, and such, we could sell pics (granted we follow up the purchase of the camera idea). We could also sell shirts or build a new Gonk for raffle. We don't have to do this this year but would be great for next. What does everyone think?

11. pacervader

Jun 27, 2005
    Ok,
    This sounds great and all, but I will not be able to do this all myself because of finals this week. If everyone is interested in doing it, I'm open to it, but we will need a majority on this one as far as partcipation and helping get it off the ground. I know several members are going to a comic con on that saturday, and for me personally, I have my wifes and daughters b-day parties to plan for that weekend so it will be tight. But if 8 or 9 members want to do this I will make it work, the club can pay the fee, and we can sell pictures with the costumes, and raffle off a gonk, per Valhallas suggestions. We can also grill out and sell food. Again, it sounds like a chance to help out a great cause and have some fun, I just wish it wasn't so soon and on that weekend. Post your thoughts. pv

12. LordINVAR

Mar 13, 2002
    This is a terrific idea for us as a club to really put together something spectacular for the cause and the community - however, there is really not enough time to properly plan our club's involvement, because for something like this every one of us should participate if we are able.

So let's put this on the docket for next year - and compile all the info we need to contact the right people so we are ready for next year.

There is also not one - but several of these Relay For Life's in the area - and if we plan for one, we might even be able to do a couple of them so that those with schedule conflicts can stil take part. Do costumes, a barbeque/snack fundraiser to boot.

Thanks to those who have gone to lengths to get info. I'm all for making this a big part of next year's efforts.

13. rodan70

Apr 1, 2002
    The one in my county, Johnson county illinois is in Mid June. In Vienna, I'll drive everyone up here if they would like to have a team. I thought it would be a good idea and some fun. May 19, we should just up in costume and have some fun. 1 year ago was the line party for ROTS.

14. rodan70

Apr 1, 2002
    Johnson County's Relay for life is June 30th @ Vienna City Park. 100 dollars per team and we have til June 16th to sign up.

15. kywildcatt

kywildcatt Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2006
    OK. Here's the scoop. The deadline for Relay For Life registration turn in is 6/16/2006. The $100 commitment fee is due then. We need a definite count of who will be coming and participating. The event is 6/30/2006 and is an all-night event. If 20 of us agreed to participate that will be $5 each to cover the fee. In addition to the fee, participants are encouraged to seek additional donations for the American Cancer Society. I've asked my boss if she will help sponsor our team and she has said yes, but I have not been given an amount as yet. Khristen has asked her dad if his business would also like to help and yes, but again we do not have amounts as yet.
    We are encouraged to bring camping equipment, games, food, and !!!costumes!!! for the event. The costumes will be encouraged for the midnight madness portion of the event. We can sell food at the event to help raise more money.
    Who will be participating? Can anyone else ask around for donations/sponsorships? In addition to donations we can take orders for luminarias, which are candles lit in honor of someone with for $5. Anyone willing/able to volunteer camp supplies etc?
    Khristen and I have kind of taken an active step in this with Yuri. Please email me at kywildcatt@yahoo.com or call me at 270-217-5817 with responses. We really need a response soon to confirm we can do this.
    Let's have a strong showing for a good cause and a good time!
    Sarah Rule

16. pacervader

Jun 27, 2005
    Thanks for all your work on this event guys, it really helps me out. I have a large camping tent and some other supplies that we can use. Also I am waiting to hear back from my father-in-laws business about a donation and I know nardo is asking her family business for a donation. Whatever amount we need after the donations the club will cover. We do need to know how many people we have coming from the club. I will be there of course, so if you would like to participate post on this thread so we can get an idea of how many team members we have. I would like to get at least 10. Also, I have the paperwork we need for the Guiness record, so I need to know how many people want to be involved in the duel also. We can help out a great cause and if we get the world record we will be the most famous fanforce in the star wars fan community for at least a day or so.....or until someone tops us, lol. so post here to partcipate in the relay, duel, or both. pv

17. Valhalla

Jan 26, 2006
    Good Lord willing and the wife don't rise, I'll be at the relay for life. You can also put me down for 2 luminaries.
    As far as the duel goes. I can help out with behind the scenes work if any is needed.

18. kywildcatt

May 29, 2006
    Thanks for the positive response Chris. We do need responses from everyone because we have to fill out a team roster form. Also, we have about 15 envelopes for team members to use for collecting donations and luminaria requests. If anyone needs me to get them a packet let me know; I'll be bringing the info on Saturday to OMGCon as well.
    Sarah Rule

19. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    What times exactly will we need to be there? I will probably have to work the 30th and the 1st so I'm trying to figure out when I can get some sleep. Can some of us do half a night or something? That would be great - I definitely want to be there to be a part of the event and be a part of the duel if I can.

20. kywildcatt

May 29, 2006
    It's an all night event. The goal is to try and have one member on the track at all times. I'm going to get directions from Yuri, I believe it's at the park in Vienna. I'm sure whenever you can make it is fine, as we need people all night. Yuri will be attending the team captain's meeting on the 20th. He should get the final details then, but it usually runs from 7pm to 7 am or something like that.

Sarah Rule

21. TK8049

TK8049 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2006
    I'm in!!

22. rodan70

Apr 1, 2002
    I'm in, Trey(Spongebob) and Bobby (Yubb-Nubb) are all in, too. The Relay Starts @ 6 pm and ends @ 10 am. We need to get there Early and ret the stuff up. And if ANYONE would LOVE to wear their costumes, it would be great. I know it will be hot, but if you would change into costume when it gets dark, that might be better.

23. kywildcatt

May 29, 2006
    Ok my boss has sponsored us fo $25 dollars, and Khristen's Stepdad has for $10 so we're up to $35. We need to raise another $65 for the commitment fee.
    Sarah Rule

24. Wil_Sinistar

Wil_Sinistar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2006
    Ok, Steak Out has come through with 55$ so I believe we have all of the entry fee covered. Thanks Bubba.

25. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    That's great!!! Deadline is today for the money so timing couldn't be better. Are we going to have a planning meeting for this event or just work it out here in the forums and when we get there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.