main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Release Date Delayed for Abrams???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by cdgodin, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    So be it.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If you will not follow the schedule....THEN YOU WILL BE DELAYED.
    [​IMG]

KevinM1, lbr789, TrandoJedi and 6 others like this.
  3. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Actually, much as it pains me to say it, the article said Lucasfilm would be producing it in conjunction with Bad Robot.

4. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
  5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Key producers and staff are going to be involved from Bad Robot. But it doesn't seem any of their writers are going to have much of a say. Its a Co production, so anything done will have to be coordinated with Kennedy.

Its probably going to be key Bad Robot staff as oversight of Lucasfilm production departments.

Not to mention, most of Bad Robots production stuff will probably be caught up with their other projects.

6. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I agree.

EVII will still be primarily a Lucasfilm Ltd. Production.

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I'm going on record : Star Wars Episode VII will be released on the 20th of May 2016 .

8. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    As long as by a year delay we will have a better movie, then it's fine.

KevinM1 and DarthBreezy like this.
  9. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
  10. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    On the bright side, Mark and Carrie could lose a ton of weight and be in top shape when production/shooting begins.

Lee_ likes this.
  11. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    Carrie has already lost a ton of weight I believe.

12. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    They've shelved the 3D re-releases, that's a good portent for a 2015 release.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Lucasfilm's resources are not the issue for the release, Abrams' schedule is.

14. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    On the one hand, it's highly dangerous to have a release date without a story. Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Alien 3 are cautionary tales about studios just trying to make a release date when there really is no strong idea or unifying vision for the film. And to paraphrase Mr. Nintendo himself, Shigeru Miyamoto, a bad film that's delayed can eventually become good, while a bad film that makes its release date is bad forever.

On the other hand, I think there's a certain value to the "short-order cooking" of the filmmaking process, as Nicholas Meyer would say. A movie that's stuck in development hell for years can show the anguish of its process and can be robbed of any spontaneity or creative spark. Infinite time and infinite resources doesn't necessarily make for a good film. Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan were shot on tight schedules and came in under budget.

15. Rancorrr

Rancorrr Jedi Padawan

Jan 18, 2013
  16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    RoTS suffered from being pushed out to meet a release date - I'm in the 'give me the best movie you can give me, even if I have to wait' camp...

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The Nintendo comment reminds me of when they were filming Super Mario Brothers: The Movie, and the production team realized that they had never played a Mario game before.8-}

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  18. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    If more time is needed to make Ep VII better, then I pray that Disney/LF will elect to delay the movie rather than give us the cinematic equivalent of Knights of the Old Republic 2.

I'm not unduly worried, though. Disney/LF know they absolutely need to make Ep VII as great as possible in order to reinvigorate the entire franchise and create as many new fans (and bring back as many old fans) as possible. Thus, if they need to choose between hitting the announced 2015 date and taking more time to make sure they release a truly great movie instead of a merely adequate one, I believe (and admittedly hope) they'll pick the latter option.

19. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Although May is something of a iconic month for Star Wars, I wouldn't mind a holiday release!

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah it could be a Holiday Special of sorts!

21. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    It seems to me that 2015 is possible. If Abrams was not comfortable with that then he should not have signed on IMO. He is not the only director that could pull this off. Also, pushing the film to a later date does not guarantee greatness by any means. The key is the script. If this is good, then everything will likely fall into place and can move along quickly. All the post production greatness cannot get past lousy writing (ahem...Avatar). However, I do agree with the opinion that if later means better then so be it.

22. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    2015 is totally possible and feasible, I don't get why people think it's not. Take this into account - it's quite clear Star Wars Episode VII has been in the works for months, as far back as August 2012. There's even ample evidence to suggest that there were plans for the Sequel Trilogy as far back as October 2010, as several entertainment agencies reported at the time that there were "credible" sources in LFL leaking that there were plans for Episode VII within the decade. That means it's quite possible the idea has been thrown around and pre-pre-production might have begun as far back as three years ago. Operating under that assumption, you also have to consider the fact that most of the Star Wars movies were filmed in a 3 year period. Revenge of the Sith, for example, was filmed in Summer 2003 and released in May 2005.

lbr789 likes this.
  23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Although filming in Summer 2013 is not nessesary to get it out in 2015 ....you could start filming right up to March 2014....the problem is Abrams & his schedule & he has a history of delaying films Star Trek into Darkness for one ( it was suppose to be a 2012 release ) .....& also the first Star Trek (2009 ) was supposed to be released December 2008 ! .

24. Crankcase

Crankcase Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2012
    I wonder if John Williams knows something more about Episode 7. Why did he say that the movie will be released in 2015, 2016. Maybe there's really a chance for a delay.

25. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    While it seems like they're going at a pretty fast pace with this movie, but its just another question that we need answers to. Sooo many questions, so little answers.

but yeah I can kinda see it being delayed. I mean if the film ain't ready don't rush it. I dont want it rushed just cause they want this film out as soon as possible. I can wait as long as it gives me a great movie