main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Release of Indiana Jones scores [confirmed!]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Cerrabore, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
  2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    This is great news. No matter what format they may take, I'll get them. (Except a plain reissue of TLC, as I have that on CD already.) Certainly, an expanded/complete release in the style of the Star Wars SEs would be the ideal. Or maybe a box set issue in the style of the ROTK CR.

3. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Expanded Temple of Doom and Last Crusade please.

4. Trentman359

Trentman359 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    These will certainly be released at some point but 2008 would be the most logical year since the new movie is coming out. I just hope they give us the complete scores and not just straight reissues.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Indeed. Complete scores, please.

6. Regan21286

Regan21286 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    As long as @#$!%^ Sony doesn't handle it, I think it'll have a good chance to be complete scores. I would certainly like to upgrade in audio quality over the bootleg Last Crusade CD floating around.

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't really care who handles it, so long as they are complete scores and good sound quality. Oh and no paper packaging.

8. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    It would be excellent to get the ultimate score like we got with TPM. I am still surprised we haven't had the ultimnate editon of AOTC and ROTS. The rest of the films have been released. Why not those two films. I just don't understand it. WHY?????

9. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    We've got another quite extensive thread on that topic, full of hopes, dreams, disappointments and threats.

10. halibut2

halibut2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2004
    Should be the Music Forum motto LOL

11. Trentman359

Oct 18, 2002
    I'm really aggravated that we dont have these scores. They are right up there with the SW trilogy. Its a crime that I cant go into my local record store and buy them. They cant even be found on the internet (for a reasonable price.)

12. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I agree that these releases are long overdue. I've been listening to IJatLC a lot lately, and I HATE having "Indy's First Adventure" just END and then skip over the hat moment and the Portugal segment.

13. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    In a recent interview, music producer Mike Mattessino had this to say about expanded Indiana Jones scores:

"There's a new movie and there will be a new album along with it and that will be the focus [of summer 2008]. The sensible opportunity will be if and when the time comes for a DVD box set (in HD, I assume) containing all four of the Indiana Jones movies.

"But there are still a lot of obstacles that would have to be overcome for a score project to happen, not the least of which is that it would be extraordinarily expensive to do."

This doesn't sound very encouraging, although Mattessino is not affiliated with Lucasfilm, Amblin, etc. and thus isn't privy to the kind of insider information that Steven Await may have.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Why would it be extraordinarily expensive to do?

15. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade would incur heavy reuse fees. Unlike Raiders (London Symphony Orchestra), they were recorded with union orchestras in Los Angeles (not to mention a union choir in Temple of Doom's case). Lucasfilm and Paramount are also pretty stingy with the licensing of their materials; it's just difficult to get them to cooperate with expanded score releases.

16. Trentman359

Oct 18, 2002
    This is so frustrating.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Difficult does not mean expensive.

18. Phyllis01

Phyllis01 Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2008
    GK edit: Please don't spamvertise.

19. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    ... As I said, reuse fees. Besides, I trust Mattessino when he says there are obstacles, financial and logistical.

20. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    You know, it never occurred to me that TOD and TLC weren't recorded by the LSO. And I even own the TLC cd! I guess that's a casualty of ripping and listening on iTunes. I remember reading the liner notes in the OST for Star Wars over and over back in 1977. In addition to commentary from JW, they even list all the musicians and their instruments!

But I'd still be somewhat happy with download-only release of these puppies.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I cannot imagine that reuse fees would be extraordinarily expensive. Scores recorded by union musicians in Hollywood are released and rereleased all the time. Surely it's not that big a deal...

22. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Re-releases are pretty rare. How many of Williams's post-1985 (or so) L.A. scores have received expanded treatments? Home Alone 2 is the only one I can think of.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I was talking about anyone's scores, not just Williams'.

24. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    There are also other considerations. Sometimes it's that the studio doesn't really know what it's got in the vaults, and is unwilling to take the time to take a look -- or is just plain uncooperative. The market for film scores is tiny. Sometimes the original masters are damaged or lost or incomplete.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes but again, those things don't relate to "extraordinarily expensive."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.