main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Release of Indiana Jones scores [confirmed!]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Cerrabore, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Sometimes you can find the original masters in a box marked "Do Not Use".

It's amazing, the chaos that exists in some parts of the industry.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    What about a box labeled "Donut Use."

3. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    As much as I want these scores re-released in expanded formats, I really don't see it happening any time soon.

4. Trentman359

Trentman359 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    In case you still haven't read the Aint It Cool News interview with 'Superman: The Music' producers Mike Matessino and Lukas Kendall, here's what Matessino had to say about the complete score releases of Indiana Jones:

DHARMESH: So, with Superman done, Indiana Jones complete soundtrack boxset is just around the corner, right?

There?s an extraordinary amount of material missing from Temple of Doom and Last Crusade, and a few cues from Raiders.

Summer 2008 seems the opportune time to capitalise on Indy mania.

MIKE MATESSINO: That isn't true, actually. There's a new movie and there will be a new album along with it and that will be the focus. The sensible opportunity will be if and when the time comes for a DVD box set (in HD, I assume) containing all four of the Indiana Jones movies.

But there are still a lot of obstacles that would have to be overcome for a score project to happen, not the least of which is that it would be extraordinarily expensive to do.

DHARMESH: We always discuss his [Williams] golden period, but soon, if not already, fans will be clamoring for expanded albums from the 90s. Home Alone 2 has been expanded, and is available on Varése Sarabande records. Which scores do you think are important to release again with more music, post 80s?

MIKE MATESSINO: Hook, Jurassic Park, the Star Wars prequels, and Harry Potter, naturally.

But again there are hurdles with all of these that will not be easy to leap. But we shouldn't give up hope, we just need to be patient. Look at the ones we have seen over the past decade and a half. We've come a long way.

5. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    ... Yeah.

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Cerrabore already posted that...

7. Trentman359

Trentman359 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
  8. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
  9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Here's hoping. :)

10. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Oh, and I should mention that the original scores are being used in the upcoming LEGO Indiana Jones video game. Will the material simply be drawn from the CDs, or will unreleased music surface, as with the Star Wars video games? Interesting.

11. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    That's encouraging to hear.

12. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    I'm doubting they'll be complete releases, but that's still encouraging and good for those who don't have them already.

13. USTommie

USTommie Jedi Master star 2

Sep 12, 2002
    I have a copy of the vendor-provided presser for the upcoming film, and it says:

Later this yeare, Concord will re-reissue(?) the soundtracks to the original Indiana Jones trilogy (Raiders of the Lost
    Ark, The Temple of Doom, and The Last Crusade
    ). These original soundtracks have been out of print for nearly a decade!

Based on that, it sounds like the expanded scores aren't coming out any time soon. Having said that, I can't wait to get the Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull soundtracks to complete my collection!

14. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I am also looking forward to these soundtrack re-issues, though I'll only be getting the TOD one. Hopefully this news is correct, and these will actually be coming out this Fall.

Also, I'm sure many on here know this, but back in late 1995/early 1996, the "Raiders" soundtrack was re-released in an expanded format. I have this, and it's superb, one of the best film soundtracks ever, period. This seems to have all of the music from the film, in order (this is right up there with the 1997 SW: Special Edition soundtrack releases).
    Though this "Raiders" re-release is out of print now, it may be easier to find than the original IJ soundtracks from the '80's.

15. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    That release of Raiders is not quite complete; it omits several suspenseful cues, notably "Government Agents" and "The Well of Souls" (which is actually available on the double LP release of Raiders). I've also read that it diminishes the mix of the choir, especially in "The Map Room: Dawn." These days it's as rare as the original Temple of Doom album.

There are bootlegs of the complete scores to Raiders and Last Crusade, but they have poor sound quality. There's nothing for Temple of Doom but DVD rips.

16. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    My absolute favorite rendition of the Ark theme is during "Government Agents." It's so quietly menacing.

17. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
  18. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Bit more info from John Williams Fan Network

http://www.jwfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1004&Itemid=1

Concord Confirms Reissue of First Three Indiana Jones Scores

Tuesday, 20 May 2008
    The Concord Music Group has confirmed that they will reissue the soundtracks to Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Indiana jones and the Last Crusade (as we reported on April 2). The soundtracks will be reissued this fall as part of a four-CD boxed set which will also include the soundtrack for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The label hasn't confirmed if the first three scores will be straight reissues of the previously available soundtrack releases, but this is very likely to be the case.

19. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Don't expect expanded releases. The label has called these "reissues", it would certainly be more expensive to expand them, and correct me if I'm wrong, but most expanded and complete score releases are put out by soundtrack-only labels (FSM, Intrada, Varese Sarabande, etc).

20. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    So there is some unreleased Temple of Doom music in the new LEGO game. Unfortunately, most of it is mixed in with sound effects. The exception is the bulk of "Over the Himalayas" (the map sequence), which sounds awesome.

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    My copy of Raiders has a track on it labeled "The Well Of The Souls". Am I missing something, or are you just wrong? :p

22. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    My bad. The double LP contains the full, twelve-minute "Well of the Souls" while the CD only has the first six minutes of it.

23. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I haven't read the whole thread yet, so I apologise if this has already been answered, but I read somewhere that there's a few cues missing of the Raiders of the Lost Ark soundtrack, and apart from the brief moment where the Ark theme plays when Indy shows Marcus and the two army people the picture of the Ark, I can't think what else is missing, so can anybody help? Thank you!

24. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    There are two short cues for the scene in which a German spy poisons the dates and the mystic deciphers the headpiece. There are two short cues (plus an alternative cue to one) that follow "The Well of the Souls." There's a six second insert for "In the Idol's Temple." All these cues are available on a bootleg; the Cairo source music, however, has never surfaced.

The second half of "The Well of the Souls" is only available on the 1995 vinyl release.

25. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I would love that. I saw that Krystal Skull Kingdom was out why not have a box set for the original trilogy of Indy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.