main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Religion in the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by -RebelScum-, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I was thinking of the Bakuran religion the Galactic Balance but what else? The 4 i think of off the top of my head is

The Force
    The Galactic Balance
    The Cosmic Egg (yes... I wondered about this 1 too)

2. Fallen_Jedi21

Fallen_Jedi21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2004
    The Dim-U brotherhood.

3. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Keep in mind that the Force is not a religion...despite popular misconception.

4. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Wasn't Jorg Cardas a follower of the Aing Ting monks? They use the force, but veiw it differently than the jedi.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, religion is the faith in something supernatural. The Force can't be outside nature since it is nature.

6. Silky

Silky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    kinda like buddhism then :p

7. Fallen_Jedi21

Jun 22, 2004
    The Bendu Monks were mentioned in the AOTC Incredible Cross Sections. Might just be primitive version of Jedi though.

8. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    From Hero's Trial (pg9)-

"I am a H'kig priest."
    "Good fortune. We have a holy one in our midst. Tell me something of your religion, H'kig priest."
    "What interest could you have in my beliefs?"
    "Ah, but I, too, am a performer of rituals. As one priest to another, then."
    "We H'kig believe in the value of simple living."
    "Yes, but to what end? To ensure bountiful harvests, to escalate yourself, to secure a place in the afterlife?"
    "Virtue is it's own reward."
    "Your gods have said as much?"
    "It is simply our truth--one among many."
    "One among many. And what of the truth the Yuuzhan Vong bring to you? Aver that you realize our gods and I may be inclined to spare your life."
    "Only a false god would thirst so for death and destruction."
    "Then it's true: you fear death."
    "I have no fear of a death suffere in the cause of truth, the alleviation of suffering, or the abolishment of evil."
    "Suffering? Let me tell you something, priest. Misery is the mainstay of life. Those who accept this truth understand that death is the release from suffering. That's why we go willingly to our deaths, for we are resigned ones. We ask no more of you than we do ourselves: to repay the gods for the sacrifices they endured in creating the cosmos. We offer flesh and blood so that their work might endure."
    "Our god demands no tribute other than good acts."
    "Acts that raise calluses. If this is all that is expected of you, it's no wonder your gods have abandoned you in your time of need."
    "We have not been abandoned. We still have the Jedi."

9. Fallen_Jedi21

Jun 22, 2004
    How about the Ithorian Nature Priests?

10. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    what about what the Vong believe? Or those Monks in Jabbas place.

11. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Bomma Monks,
    the Teräs Käsi masters of Bundiki were, too, some kind of warrior monks, kina shaolin like

12. TwiLeksRokMySox

TwiLeksRokMySox Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2004
    Also, the Fallanassi from BFC would fit, I think.

13. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    under the empire there was a Church of the Empire.
    and post-ROTJ there existed several religions about the sith and the empire.

to some species the early sith lords were like gods and religions formed around them, even when they were gone.

14. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Ffug
    Order of the Sacred Circle
    quay(i think that is the god of the weequey)

15. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    what did Ewok shamans practice?

16. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    The Ewok religion appears to follow some degree of animism. Many elements of nature...even some trees, the sun, etc. are personified (or deified) in one way or another. The Ewoks also appear to follow some totemic beliefs...perhaps believing that the creatures that are sacred to them are the reincarnations of past beloved leaders.

17. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    the Ffib
    the Church of the First Frequency (wiped out by Lord Torbin)

Kam

18. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    That insect dude from the Aduba-3 arc of Marvel.

19. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    would the Sorcerors of Tun be a religioun?

20. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    there was also the order of pessimists from Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire.

21. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    The Jedi and belief in the Force IS a religion. The Force has never been defined precisely in quantifiable terms, even though SW technology is exponentially more advanced than ours. Even the greatest Jedi Masters do not fully understand its true extent -- they cannot, because it is for all intents and purposes the God of the Star Wars universe.

In KOTOR 2, Goto refers to both the Jedi and Sith as religious factions. And Goto knows his stuff, probably better than almost anyone in SW history. Talon Karrde doesn't come close. He's basically the Thrawn of intergalactic crime.

22. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Yeah, religion is the faith in something supernatural. The Force can't be outside nature since it is nature.

Supernatural is subjective. In reality if religions that teach that the supernatuural exist are right, then the supernatural is just aS natural as we are; it'zs just a part of nature that we don't have everyday experience with, so to us it seems special and beyond nature.

On that noite, most people have no experience wit he Force and would consider it supernatural. It's not a natural experience in the lives of a majority of people in the Galaxy. According to the ANH novel, there were few sucesses in quantifying the Force in a scientific manner.

Another point...A religion is not just faith in the supernatural. That is not he definition of a religion.

Or at least that's not the only definition.

2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
    3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
    4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Belief in supernatural is only one definition of religon.

23. Darth_Solidus

Darth_Solidus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2005
    from January 28th, 1975: The Adventures of The Starkiller: Episode One
    THE STAR WARS

"Until the tragic Holy Rebellion of "06", the respected JEDI BENDU OF ASHLA were the most powerful warriors in the Universe."

For what it's worth...

24. Santee Ordrin

Santee Ordrin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 9, 1998
    Eah planet had its major religions or religions relating to their seperate cultres. They all believed in the philosophy behind the Jedi mindset, but did not take that as their religion.

The Ithorians took their belief and understanding of plants to an extreme and placed their faith in plants.

The Ewoks were similar in a different way with ther beliefs.

The Bothans even believed in their own religion. Despite the fact that we did not see it, every culture believes in something supernatural and overall. It would always give them hope. We just did not see it as much as this was not the focus of the writers before the NJO was written. For us as the readers, the Jedi beliefs and customs with t's counterpoint in the Empire and the Sith became the focus of all rligions within the Star Wars Universe. Nothing else mattered to a great extent. And that is where the story was...

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The belief in the Force, as well as the Jedi and Sith philosophies about it do constitute a religion because it has been stated as such in numerous sources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.