main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Religion in the YJCC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JediANGELA, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    Lately on the YJCC I have been seeing some threads that remain open that are clearly relgious based. Those threads from a personal stand point make me feel very uncomfortable. I know that I don't have to click on them, but just knowing that they are there makes me feel very anxious, knowing that someone can go in there and start badmouthing other religions. Personally I know that I have nothing to add, but I still go in there to make sure that no one has said anything bad. I have reposted the JCC clause about threads on religion down below.

A. Serious topics: The JCC will allow discussion on serious issues (capital punishment, political crises, religion etc). However, discussion on topics of this nature should maintain a relaxed atmosphere. Genuine in-depth discussion/debating (where increasingly small groups of dedicated users dominate proceedings, featuring lengthy posts and increased reliance on outside sources to make points) is better suited to The Senate Floor. Each thread will of course be evaluated on its individual merits, but any that are determined to be evolving into Senate material will be redirected there.

Here are some of the threads that I am talking about(and yes some mods have posted in them): http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/27607769/p1/?16
    http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/27597064/p1/?173 (this one is borderline)
    http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/27601004/p1/?56

I know I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing (some threads there have made me feel very uncomfortable before), but its threads like those that can cause trouble. What does everyone else feel about that? I'm probably going to hear it here I know.

2. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    My impression is that this is a YJCC matter rather than a Comms matter. Have you PM'd the JCC moderators about why those threads were allowed? That might be a fruitful approach. I hope I didn't miss the gist of your post though.

3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Angela, JCC rules aside for one second, I know the biggest rule of thumb that we all try to enforce is to make sure all religious denominations are treated with respect. As long as we maintain respect for both users and affiliations, most things will go okay. It's something I've said for a while. Make sure respect is maintained no matter what. I haven't had a chance to read those threads yet so I'm not sure if that's the case with those specifically.

4. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002

I'm not sure where it belongs. Im just saying that some of the YJCC mods have posted in those threads. I really dont want to start anything, and I dont want to call out anyone, and I really dont want to bring up the revamping of the YJCC rules thing again. But I left the boards once due to a religious thing, and this really can apply to the boards as a whole, not just one forum.

5. carmenite

carmenite Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Having participated and/or read the threads, I personally didn't see anything there that was particularly troublesome/inappropriate for YJCC. I like the option to have some less hard-core discussions, and YJCC would definitely be the place for them as opposed to the Senate. If the idea of the threads make you uncomfortable, but you enter them to make sure everyone's behaving, I'd kind of encourage you to just steer clear of them, and let the mods take care of it - it's why they get the big bucks! If a thread becomes innapropriate then they'll lock it, but until then, I kind of think they should be allowed to continue.

Isn't the point of Comms - to bring things up that you have questions about and want to start a discussion on - though?

6. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Honestly, I don't think those types of threads are a problem. In real life I enjoy discussing religious people's views (i.e. why they believe what they do). I think you learn more about yourself that way. If the certain posters turn nasty then the mods can deal with them. I don't see any reason for you to click on the thread if you don't want to do so. And I don't think a humourous thread about a religion or religious figure is necessarily a bad thing. I know I have certainly made them here. If you turn on a tv you'll no doubt find the same sort of thing. I was raised as a Catholic (now agnostic (heart) or atheist (head)) and never had any problem with that sort of thing existing. No one is being persecuted for their beliefs here. It's just lighthearted fun. Just my opinion.

7. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    I guess my first question would be: What about the topic of religion on the JCC makes you uncomfortable? Is it the actual discussion or is it that people might start badmouthing? Do you not like to talk about religion or other religions beside you own, or do you see the JCC as just not the place to start?

In terms of religion, things can get nasty - both on the boards and 'out there' in real life. As someone who doesn't follow an organised religion, I probably have a very laid back and accepting view of the discussion, so I tend to moderate them that way.

Basically, what other people have said to you - ie: PM a mod if things seem to you to be going pearshaped or stay away from the threads if they make you feel bad - is sound advice.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm sorry you feel religious discussion is a problem, and that it makes you anxious, but it's wrong to satisfy the anxieties of a few by removing discussion for everyone. I sacrificed a lot to ensure that serious discussion has a place in the JCC, and it has always been gone well when moderated properly and given corresponding respect from everyone (moderators and regular members alike). I feel like the guidelines for serious discusion (which obviously includes discussion of religion) have worked well since they went into effect in late January of 2006.

We could have a society of total sameness where no wrong choices were made and where everyone was "okay", but I prefer to leave that kind of dystopia in Lois Lowry's Giver. In real life, we always have competing interests and beliefs, and so long as those differences are discussed respectfully, they belong in the JCC.

9. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    What happened to the No Religious Threads rule?

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Was discontinued a long time ago (not in any one pronouncment, but it just faded away and dicsussion of religion/politics was allowed more as people posted them more and handled them well). It was the product of a different time, before a lot of what has evolved in terms of moderation and the membership came along.

11. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002
    What is making me feel uncomfortable is that I left the boards for a few months two years ago because of a relgious discussion ( I think it was in the JCC or here in comms). I really dont want a repeat of that again. My thought is that to my recollection, threads about relgion were always locked in the past in the JCC, and why are they being allowed now? I thought for sure that the one posted over the weekend was going to be locked. It seemed to me to be borderline preaching. The one about Ann Coulter is harmless enough, since it is about a news article. The one that was posted today seemed harmless enough in the beginning, but as it progressed it seemed to have gotten some relgious undertones into it(one particular post, once again, Im not calling anyone out).

I dont mind discussing relgion, but when I feel that someone is pushing religion onto me is when I get mad.

I wasnt going to post this thread, until I saw that one post.

12. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Yes, Comms exists to facilitate communication about board wide policy and the JCC is certainly something that affects the boards generally. Perhaps I misread the initial post, but PMing the moderators in the JCC would be a good place to start when trying to understand why the threads in question were allowed in the JCC. The PMs are not the exclusive place for discussion but are a place to start.

:)

13. LadyWhilla

LadyWhilla Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Try being a witch at this time of year. Talk about persecution, name-calling, disrespect, ignorance, slander...the list goes on. Paganism is a religion too but I suppose it's okay to slam it at Halloween. :rolleyes:

I can take all that. I've been dealing with it for years but if you're going to discuss religion in the YJCC, all of them should be included.

14. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I was just wondering about the rule, please don't write me up.

I don't like the current trend either, but oh well.

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    My thought is that to my recollection, threads about relgion were always locked in the past in the JCC, and why are they being allowed now? I thought for sure that the one posted over the weekend was going to be locked.

They're allowed because there's an interest in them, and because they work with good moderation. They've been freely allowed for close to three years now, with scattered exceptions before that.

I dont mind discussing relgion, but when I feel that someone is pushing religion onto me is when I get mad.

What qualifies as "pushing religion onto [you]"? If you feel uneasy with discussion about religion, I suggest you avoid any such threads. If you choose to participate in them, you naturally make yourself open to comments from others.

16. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Whilla, no one person or group should be treated any different then the rest. It's all about being consistent with everyone. If you have an example to the contrary, please PM either one of the administrators or one of the forum moderators. I know that is the standard old cliche, but I promise we do listen.

17. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I'm having trouble understanding what your problem with the threads is, Angela. Why do you feel you need to "make sure that no one has said anything bad?"

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The thing is that certain users are using these threads to attack Christians and put us down.

19. Wilderness_Comedian

Wilderness_Comedian Jedi Youngling star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Happens in every thread.

20. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Shouldn't serious topics be taking place in the Senate vs. the JCC? Nothing is ever done seriously in the JC so someone is bound to get offended in a religion thread based on some ignorant remark by one or more of our notable JC posters.

Lets look at the forum descriptions real quick:

JCC - Want to relax after discussing Star Wars? Then get to know your fellow Jedi Knights here!

Senate - Come discuss and debate* important social, political, and cultural issues* with your fellow Jedi Council members.

From a common posters point of view wouldn't it be best to direct religion based threads to the Senate, or at the very least establish the fact that many responses on the JC can/will offend people. Just my opinion though, take it for what you want.

*= Bold for emphasis.

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    No. We had this debate some time ago, and what you see now is the result of the conclusion/decision. Some people do like and participate in serious discussion in the JCC. We can't and shouldn't base policy off the sensitivities of a few people who might get offended at times. That's using the least common denominator to do things, and that's always best avoided.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I've always thought that a large part of the problem of religion in the JCC is that... you CANNOT (it just CAN'T be done) have the same leeway on levity, brashness, insulting and downright perversion that is the JCC in any sort of a discussion on religion (other than Festivus; I encourage it in my annual thread).

If you have to already modify your behavior to post in a thread I've never seen how it was a good plan to "let it be," but it's not my headache.

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Hey, look at it this way - the large number of threads on witches and witch hunts that have popped up in recent weeks are just begging to be derailed with educational posts. So really, it's an opportunity. :p

24. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Personally I like the way things are done now. I was just presenting an idea that could appease those people that get offended. Personally I think people are hare-triggered to get insulted on the internet anyways.

My personal belief is that if a poster doesn't like a thread/topic don't contribute to it. Now if only more people held that belief...

Now I thought the JCC Witch Hunt was pretty funny. Minus the education that got stuck in there of course. :p

25. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003

You know...I know this woman who just won't listen to me [face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.