main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Religion

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by halibut, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    We've had a request for a religion thread, and naturally it has raised concerns as with politics, this is an issue that can cause very heated discussions.

But I'm happy to give this a go, but we'll be keeping a close eye on things. So before we get going, there will need to be several ground rules

1) Be respectful
    2) Discuss posts, not posters
    3) No telling people that their beliefs are wrong. By it's nature, religion is a matter of faith and beliefs. Saying that a person's very personal beliefs are wrong is disrespectful and will undoubtedly derail the thread
    4) By all means, question people on their beliefs and posts, but don't try and "trap" people. There are no right and wrong answers here.
    5) Let's steer clear of religious jokes and the like. Try and keep this serious.
    6) If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing. Be civil.

We'll be watching ;)

2. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Religion is a brave idea for a thread, but a fascinating topic to discuss. :p I guess I'll begin by saying that I'm an atheist, but I do possess a large amount of respect for the values that different religions teach to those who practice them properly. However, I've always been one to operate more on tangible logic than on faith, if you will, and so I've been reluctant to accept a higher power that I cannot actually see, and that operates at a level of reasoning that I cannot comprehend.

But there are plenty of good people out there who are religious, and who maintain a healthy stance toward those who elect to participate in different religions or in no religion whatsoever. My best friend goes to church every Sunday, and there's nothing wrong with that. :cool:

3. MasterMonkey13

MasterMonkey13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2008
    Good idea for a thread! I myself am religious and a good friend of QGR who posted above. Which I think shows that as long as we consider the feelings of others this thread can be highly successful. I am a life-long Christian, maybe you can tell from my signature what my favorite Bible verse is. :D Some people think it's wrong to discuss religion, but I think this will be a good thread.

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm pretty much the same as Qui-Gon. I'm an athiest, but a lot of my friends are Christian (including my mother), and I have respect and knowledge of their beliefs. I know that religion makes some people do very stupid things, but the vast majority of religious people are decent folk, and lead a good life. If that's down to their religion then that's a good thing.

What I really hate, though, are the door-to-door conversion squad. Do they not realise that their success rate is going to be zero, and they are doing more harm to their cause than good?

5. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Those door-to-door folks visit here often and it really makes me insane. I don't answer my front door any longer but they'll see me going to my car and almost run if they spot me. What the heck? I think it's because I've told them I'm a witch. One poor guy cringed and almost cried when I told him I was proud to be a pagan. I really thought he was going to curl up into a ball on my porch.:p

No, I'm not a witch, so don't freak out and flame me. I do go to church, just not frequently.

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I deal with them by telling them that my wife and I are already church-members, and wish them well in their evangelical pursuits.

7. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I've tried that and it never worked. They always wanted to sell me on their religion.:rolleyes:

8. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    I will disagree that the door-to-door people are not doing any good. Because there is a group from my Church that has brought people to Christ through door-to-door Evangelism. But there are people who don't do it the right way. That annoys me too because it gives all the rest of the Christians a bad name.

If you didn't already guess I am a Christian. I am a long believer, and I love the Lord more then anything.

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    More than Tacos??? :eek:

Seriously though, the people we get (Mormons, JWs etc) are very aggressive with their "selling". It might be a UK thing, but your average non-believer will automatically lump all the different Christian denominations into the same basket, hence my more harm than good comment.

I would suggest that the door-to-door evangelism conversation should go as follows.

"Hello there. We are members of xxxx church and we'd like to give you this booklet regarding Jesus. My number is on the back, so if you get a chance to read through it, and you have any questions, please give me a call. Have a nice day"

That way, the homeowner is not on the defensive, and is more likely to actually read what has been given to them.

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    I think that those door-to-door people really are doing a disservice to their religion, because when it?s 9:00 Friday night, Dad is snoring on the couch, Mom is engrossed in a game of Hearts on her laptop, and we?re screaming over Cade Bane, and the doorbell rings, suddenly everyone is directing every ounce of their anger at the poor, cowering little guy in a suit standing in the doorway. :p

Really, I don?t understand why members of a religion have to seek recruits in such a way. If people are interested in joining a church, they?re perfectly capable of doing so by themselves. This soliciting just turns more people off to religious individuals, in general. I don?t mind people who adhere to a religion, but I really wish they?d keep it a bit more to themselves.

We were at Barnes and Noble two days ago (buying Outcast, of course ;)) and I overheard a conversation between a man and a woman who apparently hadn?t seen each other in a long time. The man asked the woman how her depression was, and the woman said that she didn?t have depression anymore because she?d found God. The man went on to ask her if she was religious, and she replied that she was not religious, but that she had found God. Then, she raised her voice and said loudly, "I have acknowledged Jesus Christ as my lord and savior and he has led me to the light. I live with him in my heart. Jesus speaks to me."

Now, if she wants to believe that Jesus speaks to her, I?m fine with that. It?s not hurting anyone to have a set of beliefs. But to raise her voice like that in a public building is a manifestation of the arrogance that many religious individuals possess, that their way, and only their way, is the right way.

Fortunately, none of you guys are like that...:D

11. MasterMonkey13

Dec 19, 2008
    Great point M_M. There is a way to spread the Good News without being overbearing.

That's what Christians are called to do, spread the Word. Of course, as I said above, those who do it the wrong way or extremely overbearingly, as M_M said above, can turn people off.

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I understand that Christians are to spread the word. But there needs to be an element of common sense. Going to a random house at dinner time and knocking on the door is hardly going to catch the homeowner in a state of listening. We are in the age of the telemarketer, and unsolicited personal intrusions are simply not welcome. Perhaps the church should realise this and change their tactics. Cold calling will just not work, and will consequently prove detrimental to the cause.

Yes, you may well get the odd person whose life will be changed, but so what? It's not a quota system where you need to get so many converts a month. The idea is make people aware of the message, and inclined to receive it. And cold calling really isn't the way to do that, unless you go by my suggestion earlier.

13. MasterMonkey13

Dec 19, 2008
    I understand what you're saying, which is why my church doesn't do the door to door thing. There are ways to spread the Gospel without going door to door. But I'm not going to say anything agianst those who do. It's their choice. :)

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm a Reform Jew (note that it's Reform, not reformed - it's a denomination). But I'm not very religious at all; I go to services every Friday night when I'm at school, but that's more of a social/cultural thing.

And I have to say, I'm a complete ***** when it comes to proselytizing. Jews don't do it, so while I in theory understand why other religions do, I find it completely offensive. Whenever I get stopped on the street I tend to just say "I'm Jewish" and walk away (when I'm home and they come, I'm not supposed to answer the door if I'm home alone and if my dad's home, he's polite enough to, well, be polite about the rejection). Jokes are one thing - I tell one of my friends that Judiasm is awesome because we've got potato pancakes (she loves them) - but random strangers coming up and trying to convert me is a total turnoff.

I respect everyones' beliefs (except those who mistreat women or something because they say it's tehir religious duty) so I think mine should be respected back - especially since Reform is the least intense, so we pretty much look and act like everyone else.

The thing that always strikes me as funny is when someone says something about their religion (Christanity in particular, since that's pretty much the dominant one where I live) and then I have to make them explain it. My mom is Jewish, and her mom, and her mom, going back, so they didn't know enough to explain anything or think to explain anything. So I can tell you all about the Protestant Reformation and the difference between Catholicism and Greek Orthodoxy and what the Madonna Enthroned is, but I think I had to have someone here explain Easter to me a few years back 8-}

15. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    I make killer latkes, Nat.=P~ My kreplack is pretty amazing too.:D

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    =P~ I'm coming to your house for dinner!!

17. Darthrevan4ever

Darthrevan4ever Jedi Master star 6

May 3, 2008
    door to door people do not help their religion I am a christain and know that there are better ways to show people our way and bring them to chirst but I also respect those who do not believe and have many friends who don't

18. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    *we all chuckle nervously*

:p

Seriously, it's so quiet in here!

Jag and Nat, I've never had a lakte. Do they taste like regular pancakes? =P~

19. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I love latkes, but we call them rårakor here. Whenever my family is making pancakes, which I don't like, I make rårakor to myself. They don't taste like pancakes at all and they're made of onions and potatoes. Now, I don't know what you serve with your latkes, but we eat them with lingonberry jam or sourcreme and roe. =P~

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    They are delicious =P~ No, they're not anything like pancakes. They're potato pancakes, so they're made with potatoes and oil (or out of a box, like my mom does :p ). We usually put applesauce on them. They're amazing and if you ever get the chance to try them, do it (not in a restaurant, because even at Jewish delis they're not that great, but if you ever meet someone who makes them at home, get yourself an invite because they're amazing).

21. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    You must shred potatoes and make them. A mix in a box?!:eek: I've never tried that, it's not a big deal to shred the potatoes and mix them up.

They are best with applesause or sour cream. Yum!

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yep :) Probably not quite as good as the real thing, but that's what I grew up on, so I adore them [face_love]

23. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Wow, they don't sound like anything I've ever eaten before. :eek: But I love potatoes...=P~

24. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Wow. A religion thread. Going by what happened back in WNU I'd have thought there'd be more going on here. :p

Honestly, I don't even know what I believe in.
    On the one hand, I have a huge problem with blind faith. I can't get myself to believe in something that I cannot see or hold. I need hard proof. And the bible, written by man, isn't hard proof for me.

But then I don't want to believe that there isn't a higher might out there somewhere. But then again I ask myself, if there was, where is He? Is someone watching over us? If so, why not intervene?

These are, no doubt, questions everyone has asked themselves once in a while. Valid questions at that.

Instead of saying that I believe in God, I say I believe in life, I believe in Nature.
    Nature is what gives us life, from which we thrive. It makes more sense to me than to say I believe in God.

And I too don't like religious solicitors. I don't like anyone ringing my doorbell and advertising for something. And that's all it is in my oppinion -- advertising.

Here in town a lot of young people group up and give out little leaflets. Especially during the first of the month when everyone gets paid. It's a better idea than going from door to door and you reach far more people.

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised by this thread so far. :) Personally I consider myself Christian, but in quite a private way. I go to church around Christmas, but not more than that. I see my faith as something between me and God, and I don't need to have a lot of other people involved in it. This also means that I don't like debating religion. I don't think you can proove religions, that's the difference between faith and science, and I get as much annoyed by Christians who try to convert people as I do by atheists who feel the need to "explain" how wrong it is to believe in something like a god.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.