main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Religious Discrimination in the Workplace

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by LeeKenobi, Aug 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Woman fired from Muslim-owned business for eating "unclean" food.

I'm rather divided on this issue...

On one hand, they are wrong for forcing her to go by the rules of their religion.

But on the other hand, they own the business and they do have the right to fire someone for not playing by the rules of business, which included a non-pork clause. (ridiculous as that may be)

Either way, I think many will agree that firing her was ultimately the wrong thing to do.

Discuss.

KK EDIT: Let's not use an inflammatory title.

2. Special_Fred

Special_Fred Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    The title of your thread is a bit misleading, considering there is no "religion of tolerance". And yes, penalizing someone for eating pork is completely uncalled for, especially since (as your article states) the policy is not written.

3. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    While I disagree with anti-discrimination laws as applied to most businesses, I don't advocate that people violate them. (I simply do not believe in compelling people to not discriminate. It should be a choice, not a requirement.)

In this case, they are rather clearly violating the law, and they should face the consequences of that. However, I don't believe that this reflects on Islam as a whole. It only reflects on the people involved in it.

Kimball Kinnison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.