main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Religious Intolerance

Discussion in 'Communications' started by beezel26, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I am sorry but I really tired of people insulting people of faith around these boards. I dont mean users by name but just people of faith. Its harrassment on the highest level that users get to insult faiths of all types and pretend they are better then others. They don't seem to get that some of the same users may or may not be of the religion but still its insulting.

I don't care that they are godless but can they at least be tolerant and not bash religion and the faithful.

2. MaidenLumpe

MaidenLumpe VIP star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 13, 2000
    Are they harassing specific users for their beliefs, or making general comments about religion?

The latter is acceptable, the former is not.

V-2 likes this.
  3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Foot -> mouth

Well done on the wonderful generalisation that it is only atheists/agnostics that attack other religions rather than it having been done by people of the "faithful".

Edit: Also, if you're going to jump on an "issue of the week/day to be indignant about" please do so by actually trying to type out something useful and productive like a more detailed description of what the problem is and what are possible things rather than the usual shtick of "here's some sort of issue, do something".

4. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Sorry usually those who get the intolerance part are those who worship a god. But yes, atheists get it too I didn't mean it put that way.

Maybe those of faith, whatever faith seem to get the short end of the stick around here.

its as if those who do practice their faith more fervently then others are mocked and ridiculed by many so that if you want to talk about any religion and your own religion for that matter the minute you do you are considered crazy. The others just seem to insult religious people to put themselves above the faithful.

I dont see this on the Senate mind you but its prevalent on the JCC.

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I have no idea if you're actually serious here, given the aforementioned intolerance and generalisations mentioned above, if if you seriously consider people who don't agree with your religious beliefs to be the "highest level of harrasment".

But either way, if you think someone is breaking the TOS then follow the guidelines. If you want to make a complaint in comms, the very least you need to do is provide examples, and even then, this should only happen after contacting mods etc.

What is the point of this again?

6. MaidenLumpe

Feb 13, 2000
    Again, are individual users being mocked, or is it more general?

The latter is acceptable, the former is not.

7. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Okay, who had money on this?

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Not me, my money was on breakfast cereal choice intolerance.

Ender Sai likes this.
  9. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    I can't begin to describe the abuse I've received due to the fact that I eat 'Special' K. :(

10. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    I am constantly being treated as a second class citizen because I eat Apple Dapples instead of Apple Jacks, Fruity O's instead of Froot Loops, and so on and so fourth.

11. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Festivus for the rest of us!

Amazing.

12. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Cocoa Dino-Bites, FTW!

13. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I was actually going to congratulate the thread starter of a certain JCC thread that they managed to make a religious thread (when I last read it...) that didn't turn ugly by Post #3, complete with saying how it's less offensive because nobody would, in fact, defend religious zealots - and, when I last read it, nobody had.

Never thought I could be this wildly wrong :(

Of course, none of this would ever happen ever again if we just kicked out religious threads from JCC altogether. It'd be quieter, but more like the serenity at a pretty lake, instead of a post-apocalyptic world. And we never get to the "post-" part as long as we do have religious threads.
    The Senate needs some Daseinsberechtigung, after all... [face_whistling]

14. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    The kind of intolerance is heaped upon any who are willing to speak out about their religion. Its as if being religious puts you on a lower plane then the rest of the Users.

There are those who would probably talk about their religions and how they feel about it but their are a large majority that will push them down and make them feel small.

listen nobody wears their religion in the sig or their profile, but still that doesn't give the right to the rest of the JCC to insult any religious activity.

Its like being faithful around here makes you akin to being crazy or worse.

15. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I want ur stash, beezel.

16. MaidenLumpe

Feb 13, 2000
    Hey, beez, can you answer my question, please?

Is it individuals that are being mocked or harassed for their particular views or beliefs?

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Beezel. Give examples.

18. Goddess-Jaina-Redick

Goddess-Jaina-Redick Jedi Knight star 4

May 5, 2005
    Beezel, can we please see examples of this "religious intolerance"? You can't just say it happened and expect everyone to try and guess what you're talking about.

19. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    EJEMPLOS POR FAVOR

20. MaidenLumpe

Feb 13, 2000
    All I'm finding is a comment by Prenn which is obviously sarcasm directed at an entire group, rather than an individual user.

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Poor Christians being persecuted. My heart goes out to them. :(

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I take it you haven't seen the HEAD ADMIN's sig then :rolleyes:

23. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Not all are brave enough like him, besides do you know what form of christianity he practices. So if you knew would you insult the rest. No one insults jews cause everyone likes DP4M, but what if he wasn't here. What if someone had a problem with kosher food or circumsion. Faith is just that, faith. Something we should be thankful for, not insult. The same faith that moves men to talk about their god or gods or whatever is the same faith that moved Galileo to defend his scientific findings against the church. Without the same sort of faith that defines the twenty first century. We should be tolerant of those with different views, not insulting. If we allow all religious zealots to be insulted what about those who like Star Trek, or other parts of this forum. Should we say that those who havent seen all the star wars movies and read the books as less then the normal user. No.

24. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    So the shrooms have obviously kicked in by now.

25. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    [face_love] beezel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.