main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT Remains of a Memory (TFA spoilers, post-ROTJ-TFA, short story)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Sara_Kenobi, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Spoilers below for the new Star Wars film, The Force Awakens.

Title: Remains of a Memory

Summary: Leia's thoughts after ROTJ, up to TFA. Short story.

Notes: Post-ROTJ-TFA, somewhat AU. There will be some spoilers for the new Star Wars film The Force Awakens.

Author: Sara Kenobi

Disclaimer: Spoilers below.

They were married for less than three months, before Leia got the news.

She was pregnant.

They hadn't even discussed where they might live someday, once things were better in the galaxy. Han was still one to drive into adventure, at first call. He enjoyed being able to step back into his old ways, despite taking a wife.

A difference this time, Han was smuggling for the remnants of the Rebellion. He was hoping to form their very own smuggling ring, to aide the Rebellion.

Leia herself, was trying to find a sense of balance for what was left of the old alliance. Could they form a New Republic? She felt they were on the verge of something grand.

Luke, he had left the Rebellion in search of new Jedi. He had offered to train herself. Shown her some training. Leia was a remarkable student with the Force, and it had frightened her. So much, she had told her brother that she was done with it. It was too much, all of it. Leia felt out of control, when she let the Force flow free. Wild, even.

Leia had felt best suited for the teachings of politics. It was what she had been raised to do. And, it was a life that failed to remind her of the first Jedi she had ever met. The first Jedi she knew that had fallen to Darkness, and never escaped, until it was too late.

Vader. Luke had forgiven the past sins of their father, and moved on. While Leia had forgiven him, she still struggled with the moving on part. Perhaps that was why no part of her wanted anything to do with Luke's new line of Jedi Knights.

Han was supportive, and did not question her on her decision to not become as her father did. Luke was also supportive, but greatly disappointed. He felt it was a mistake. Who better to teach any children she might have of the Force, than their mother?

Leia had argued that maybe her children might not inherit Force abilities. Luke had shaken his head. He said the Force was too strong within her for that to ever happen. Leia had kept further disagreement to herself.

But she already knew how wrong she was. Her baby had the power of the Force. Leia could sense his power, and the connection they shared. And it was strong.

Leia was quick to tell Han of the news, and wanted to plan for a suitable location to move to, once the child was older. Han suggested a world called Naboo. He seen it once as a young boy, and had fallen in love with the place. He had lived there briefly, with his grandmother. One of the most peaceful places in the galaxy. Leia thought it sounded much like her Alderaan.

Could Han do that though? Go off with her and their baby, to some green corner of the galaxy, and forget the call of lady adventure? Leia certainly hoped so.

Their baby came, and with joy, came heartbreaking news. Leia was told that the birth had been too difficult, and she couldn't bare any more children. Han had lost that glimmer in his eyes with the news. He had pictured three children for them in his mind. A peaceful life, once the dust was settled with the last of the Empire. They'd raise their babies, and be happy as Leia brought about a new Republic.

But there would be only one baby for them, a sweet boy, who reminded her much of his father. And a very uncertain future.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    A poignant title and situation. =D= =D= I find it all very plausible that Leia would turn down Luke's offer to train her and the explanation of why she and Han did not have a whole bunch of children. [face_thinking]

Kahara likes this.
  3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I love the thought of Leia, Han and Ben living on Naboo….though something tells me their lives won’t be as peaceful as Leia dreams it will.

Lovely beginning. I look forward to more

=D==D==D==D=

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  4. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I like the beginning and all of Leia's thoughts; they are very plausible.

Kahara likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    A nice tale.

Cannot help thinking that you have a bit of an unfair advantage not providing an excerpt for the awards.

Whomever follows the link to your story to give you "a fair shake" is not going to limit themselves to the 300 words allowed for those who did provide pieces of their fics.

The glimmer fading from Han's eyes at the news that he would not have his imagined trio of children, felt both poignant and curious; I felt his disappointment, even while not initially understanding it.

Luke's disappointment too, on his sister backing away from jedi training, felt as understandable as it did within the EU. At least here, she did get some trainng.

6. Hopefulwriter

Hopefulwriter Jedi Master star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    Very nicely written. Good plot and could lead to other, deeper stories.