FF:WA Remakes of films.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Symmbian, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Symmbian Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm 30'ish and I've seen Hollywood in it's usually fashion, rehash some films now twice or three times over. Nothing new and inventive just reheated old films and series.

I covered my ears when someone told me Voltron and another old series are going to be movies, and cringed when I saw the
    recent trailer of Get Smart.

It left me wondering, with talk about Transformers recently being worth the effort and being true to the series;

Are film makers and companies doing remakes that are deliberately bad so they can do it again in a decade or two time
    and sell the idea to another generation that hasn't seen it.

Harry Potter, LOTR fans have been ardent about how the films stay the course of the books and such. And unless you're like
    Uncle George that likes to re-release the same movies over and over, well made adaptations only make their money once at the cinemas.

Are we being made to suffer through some of this crap just so they can do it again down the track, just wanted to get everyone's opinion.

Symm
  2. Aztek Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't think they are intentionally making bad films so they can go back later and plunder the audience. I think it might be a case of them realising the old movies were either bad or now seriously outdated, hence their reasoning for remaking the films.

The thing that really gets me is why they would choose to remake existing films when there are countless brilliant novels that could, and probably should be adapted.

There needs to be some co-operation between film producers and publishers to get some more original stories onto the screen.

As long as hollywood does not completely destroy the essence of the novel they should be fine.
  3. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich re-make Godzilla, again.

:p
  4. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Good remakes are few and far between. In my opinion, a film based on a book/old film/tv series etc is only good if they do one of two things.
    1. Recreate the story from a very different angle and style, like Battlestar Galactica or Blade Runner.
    2. Stick to the ogiriginal source as closely as what's reasonable for the medium like Harry Potter, Lion the Witch & The Wardrobe, Hunt for Red October (though every other movie based on a Tom Clancy book was done very differently from the book).

Movies that get things spot on in some ways but deliberately make huge departures from the original don't sit right with me (I'd place LOTR and the recent Never Ending Story tales in that category). I figure if they can be so close in some areas then why do it so differently in others and in 99% of cases I'm certain the film could have been even better if the film makers had followed the original more closely rather than having to put their own stamp on the story.
    You get others like Eragon that are only similar to the source in a few key ways but overall are a very different story. While I thought the movie of Eragon was not a bad film, I think it would be extremely difficult to do a sequel that's even remotely close to the second book since so many key plot points from the first book were changed.
  5. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Really, it comes down to what will make money. An original franchise is untested and has every chance of bombing at the box office. The opening day is now crucial to a film's financial success--there's so many coming out you can only spare a matter of weeks when films once were screened for months at a time (remember the original run of "The Gods Must be Crazy"? How it was showing in cinemas like 52 weeks or so?)

And an unoriginal franchise -- a remake -- has a guaranteed crowd, whether it's from those who love the old series or those who hate the idea of a remake -- both will wind up going to see it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.