Remember How Good The Phantom Menace was?

Discussion in 'Evansville, IN' started by HoosierTrooper, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoosierTrooper Force Ghost

star 3
    I stumbled upon the old trailer for Episode I on starwars.com today, and it actually looked like a good movie. Watch this again.

I got to thinking, how excited was everyone in 1999 before we actually saw it? The trailer looked awesome, there had been so much buildup, and it was the first Star Wars movie since ROTJ! I remember seeing the teaser poster with Anakin's shadow on the wall. It was all so cool!

I admit, I was young enough in '99 that I really did enjoy the movie. It wasn't until later that I grew out of it and realized it was terrible.

How excited were all of you back in 1999 and when did you realize that Episode I was bad?
  2. Mike-El Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was off the Richter scale excited. It was the quality of the Episode 1 toys that really energized my collecting. When the trailer was released I had my friends come over and watch it.

I was such a fanboy that I actually went to the TRU midnight release of the toys just to experience the crowd and be a part of it.

It wasn't until I picked up an Anakin Skywalker figure out of plastic swiiming pool of figures that I really heard my inner collector speak.

It amazes me how similar Ulkesh, YodaJammies, and myself are when it comes to the various ships and vessels of Star Wars. At the time I could have cared less about figures.

A week later I picked up Anakin, several ships and models.

A week after that I bought another 4-5 figures.

I knew it wasn't a good movie when I walked out of the theater. I guess I was like most fans and expected to somehow see C-3PO, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Stormtroopers.

It was too much like ILM Showcase Theater during certain parts. But it did serve a purpose (the movie as a whole).

3. G1Prowl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks to DVD, I actually like it better now that I can skip the bad parts.
  4. navarre1095 Force Ghost

star 4
    I for one hope to find the "Phantom Edit" someday.
  5. yoda_pimp Jedi Knight

star 3
    The build up was awesome. The midnight run to TRU and Walmart, umpiring Little League games to save money for the EP1 toy onslaught, and the sweetness that was the teaser trailer. Just seeing Sidious in the trailer sneer,"wipe them out, all of them" was cool, as was seeing Darth Maul for the first time. Then the movie came out... I was indifferent to it the first time I saw it, but got to like it more the other 5 or 6 times we went to the theater too see it. The DVD rocks because you skip stuff and make it an hour long movie that is good.
  6. WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Master

star 4
    Being a long time fan, I was extremely excited to see it. I liked it the first time I saw it. I was ready to see it again and I was ready to see the next one. I was completely spoiler free, and I was on a SW high, so Jar Jar just wasn't that bad the first time though. Also, after only one or two screenings, you are less critical IMO. Only later did I think that the (animated) effects were overdone in certain cases, continuity errors, whiney lil Ani, etc.

I don't like to skip over stuff in movies, but then again I don't watch TPM much either.

Okay, George, we need a TPM SE...FIX IT!!!

:eek:
    :p
    :)
  7. Edric-The-White Jedi Knight

star 2
    I was 28 when it came out, which means that I was old enough to know a good movie from a bad movie. I saw it 17 times in the theater. Why? Who knows. I liked it better than Attack of the Clones.

It does play out better when you watch it will the other 5. Then, it does make since.

Peace
    Edric
  8. Ulkesh2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, to mark the passage of time...

Back in the mid-90s word was out that a new Star Wars film was in development. I browsed the entertainment magazines weekly for any morsel crumb of info. Finally in late 97/early 98 some early Episode 1 photos were presented. Then the 'misleading' teaser was upon us all. I (and many of you) paid to see movies we did not care a womprat's butt for. We paid only to see a short Episode 1 teaser. Not just once - but over and over. The sighs of geekgasm could be heard in darkened theatres all across the nation as the statement 'Every Saga Has A Beginning' flickered onto that larger-than-life screen. Then the spring of 99 was here. The overnight wait for tickets and toys prompted workplace call-ins. Yes even a strange illness gripped the nation as employees caught the 'Star Wars Flu'. Rock-N-Roll had Woodstock and we SW fans had 'beach party' camp outs in front of the local theatre parking lots. Was the film over-hyped? Yeah it was. The older fans among us that can remember 77 were sure we'd have that long ago feeling again. That we'd make contact with the magic of 77 in 99. Maybe some did. Most I think found disillusionment. Episode 1 was certainly not Episode 4 from 77. Episode 1 was a bloated and crass SFX affair with barely baked exposition. It missed one too many opportunities to make a solid emotional connection. It looked pretty, but played dull. How about the younger post-77 crowd? Did they hook into Episode 1 like the 'elderly' fan did with Episode 4 back in 77? I rather doubt it. The younger fans are a jaded tech-savvy bunch. They are drowning in various kinds of mass-media entertainment. I suspect that the SW of 99 was just another SFX movie to them. Sadly I'd agree. It was just another SFX movie. Face it folks the magic of 77 is long gone.
  9. G1Prowl Jedi Knight

star 1
    I only watched it once at the theater and kept thinking "I waited 16 years for this?".

Still, being the fanboy that I am, I went out and bought Darth Maul on his speeder bike afterward.
  10. inkpenavenger Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sometimes it's really lonely to be the only person out there who really likes ALL SIX movies....
    :(
  11. HoosierTrooper Force Ghost

star 3
    I, for the most part, agree with Ulkesh. I had not been hooked by Episode I. For me, I got caught up in the Galaxy Far Far away even before the Special Editions. It was (ironically) a stormtrooper micromachines playset that got me to go out and buy the Origianal OT. I don't know that Episode One could have done the same thing as the origianls.

But then again, I can't speak for the much younger audience. Maybe it was the right thing for the really younge kids. [face_thinking]

12. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    What a great topic, oh Little Short For A Stormtrooper!

As a life long Star Wars fan (I SAW EMPIRE IN THE THEATERS! *I was 3), I waited forever for Episode 1. Most of my pre-adolecence was spent day dreaming about the "more civilized" age, full ranks of Jedi, evil clones, mandolorians running around, huge capital ships, a brave pilot named Anakin, a General named Bail Organa, Victory Star Distroyers, Republic Dreadnoughts, Y-Wings with smooth streamlined armor (the books say the armor was stripped off over the years for repair work), Yoda training Obi-wan, and a whole lot of other stuff that never happened. The speculations ran wild. I remember this thing called TELENET (or whatever) before the internet, and one of the files being shared (and it took 2 days to download a .txt file!) was the bootleg episode 1 script (I'm talking 1993 here) about the manolorian incursion into Mos Abbondon. Matt Springer (not me, alas) wrote an article in CineFX (was that the name?) about what the 3 movies would be about.

So, we all were wrong-o, but what I am trying to say is that we all had our own version of the movie in our heads for over a decade. Naturally, we were all setting ourselves up for some seriouse Mass Cognative Desinence.....

I did pay to see the trailer to a movie I never heard of, and WOW was I thrilled! The movie, in turns out, was Rushmore and was a great film.

In our dorm, we watched the Invation trailer over and over again. "Portman is so hot dude" "Look at that red guy's snarl He is like a German Sheppard!" "Oh..That Train Spotting guy is going to kick butt!"

That Summer, my friends from high school and I saw the midnight show at Showplace. The line was huge, and the costumes were great. I also got to use what I still think was my greatest joke of all time:

"This is the line for Meet Wally Sparks, Right?"

In the theater their was a guy dressed as a sith with a K-mart light saber and some doof dressed as a Jedi with a fancy 300 dollar saber (I think others on this board saw this too). Anyway, the two mock fought, and the end result was a shattered 300 saber and a crying Jedi. One of my buds yelled out "Evil will always triumph over Good becouse Good is Dumb" We took our seats, and when the opening crawl appeared, the entire crowd screamed! I mean SCREAMED! It was the best feeling ever, untill the first Rodger Rodger. Then the really bad Nemodian accent. Then Jar-Jar spoke. Then Ric "Captain Obvouse" Ole spoke. Then the two headed announcer guy. Well, you get the idea. Our fanboy screams turned to groans.

The ride home, I was the only one who said they liked the film, and I did. All the stuff I mentioned did suck, and was a major let down, don't get me wrong. But what I LOVED and didn't see coming was the machinations of Palpy, creating a fake war to win power in the senate and start his accent to Galactic ruler. I mean, that was awesome, and something the EU never mentioned in the years before the movie, and thus was never in the movie that was in my head. YOu got to admitt, it was cool.

In retrospect, it really was a good movie. It's faults were mainly built into Lucas's plan for the three films. It was a sham war, so naturally Droids are not as scary as Stormies. The pre-civil war galaxy had to be established, as did the little moppit from the desert. I did see the film about 14 times. I took my brother to see it, and afterward he swore off Star Wars for 2 years, "I waited 15 years for a debate on NAFTA in space?" My Dad liked it, which was odd, becouse he HATES any movie that does not have John Wayne as a cowboy, or John Wayne as a GI. "Leave it to Lucas to make a flying pig," was his quote. He also slept through the last hour and a half. But, he really did get a kick out of Watto.

The last two films blew me awayn (except for the love story), and restored my faith in Lucas. I really do, still, wish he had stuck to his quote in Veriaty magazine in 1995 when he said that he would bais his new movies on the God Father, telling the story of Anikans childhood in flashbacks, while the
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.