main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends "Remember ..." (Qui-Obi/Another) - one shot

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by pixie11098, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pixie11098

pixie11098 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2005
    Title: "Remember ..."
    Author: Pixie
    Timeframe: JA.
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Someone else
    Genre: Fluff, Mush, Angst
    Summary: A visitor comes unannounced.

She did not remember where home was.

It was warm and earthy at times. Cold and harsh at others. The textures changed. She seemed to be lying on soft furs. Then it changed, and hard pebbles bit into the backs of her hands. She wondered if she was some sort of princess, imprisoned in some dark and mighty castle. Though why the thought of imprisonment should make her think of herself as a princess, she didn't know. Ordinary people got imprisoned too. Often for very trivial things.

And that was another thing: she didn't remember who she was either.

She sighed as she moved from on end of the room - it was a room, wasn't it? - to another. It was small, still, of a rather cheerful, soothing colour. It pleased her to just look at it. It felt as though warm and wondrous thoughts coated the very wall - if one could put thoughts on walls. Vaguely, it seemed to her that she remembered thinking about such things - then again, memory failed, and she was left with nothing but her present surroundings.

She touched the sparse furnishings, the almost bare bed with its worn, yet clean linens. The meager shelves with few personal belongings. Her hands seemed to skim over them, like a gentle breeze. The room seemed to reflect its occupant in more than ways than one - even of it wasn't obvious at first glance. Indeed, one might mistake it to be the room of some common soldier labouring in the Outer Rim - devoid of character and care. And yet, she knew. These were images she had known for a very long time. When all else, failed, she always came back to them, for reassurance.

She moved through the open doorway, coming to rest in a slightly bigger space. This too, was sparsely furnished, in keeping with every other room she had seen, that day. A lone couch stood by the side, draped with robes of varying length and thickness. They were worn and faded too. She carefully touched a fraying length of thread that dangled by the hem of the smaller one, and smiled. A vivid image of herself, bent over some cloth, needle flying in and out with precision, assailed her. That had been a robe too. A blue robe, meant to match the eyes of ...

Her eyes flew to the small shelves on the walls. Tiny shelves, meant to hold only one artifact or two in their small niches. One held a rough, misshapen wooden mug. Another held a beautifully carved, precisely cut crystal. Nearby, on a small peg, hung two slender chains with medallions. She looked at them curiously, unable to decipher the words carved into them. She had learnt to read and write, once, but seemed to have forgotten that as well.

A sudden fierce ache took hold of her. How long must she wait? Grasping at tendrils of memories, fleeing from her like selk slipping through her fingers. Longing, seeking a fleeting touch here and there, peering at vanishing beings, hoping, wanting ...

Still, she told herself, it wasn't as bad as that time when she had been on that rocky, spirit-forsaken barren mass of a planet where draigons clawed at their prey. The fear and misery she had felt then were gone. It was the contentment that filled her with those memories that had drawn her here again. Those emotions were her beacon. Her guiding light. They led her unerringly. At the moment, that was here. Wherever here was. She had wandered around unfamiliar hallways, large corridors, dank and musty stairways, gleaming bronzium columns, until she thought she might go mad with the sheer vastness of it.

Then there had come the people. Men, women, younglings, Ithirians, Corellians - the whole gamut of life in the galaxy. Memory returned of the few races she had known, as she watched them engaged in ... what seemed to be carefully orchestrated weaving of - she could only call it power. It was the same thing that pushed and pulled at her, telling her where to go. She had never understood it - she had bee

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Many breathless moments later, they gave up war and sat back against the couch, disheveled. The elder gave vent to a single word loudly, and with considerable feeling, while the young man gave himself up to chuckles. A moment later, the elder pulled off the securely bound robe, and wrapped it properly around the young man. Contentment radiated from them as they sat still. Long moments passed as they sat thus, seemingly relaxed. So calm did they appear that she thought they might have drifted off into reverie.

Then, the elder moved. He placed a palm against the forehead of the younger, whose head lay against the couch, angled to his right. He stayed thus for a whole minute. Then he moved away, as though satisfied. He placed both hands under the young man, carefully lifted him to the couch and rearranged him, tucking legs that hung off the couch, wrapping the robe about him.

Such a lovely look at the two of them.

He means something to you? She asked desperately, eyes searching for some emotion behind those shuttered blue eyes. Does he?

He deactivated his light-sabre, and slid it back into his belt. His destiny is an important one. He means a great deal to the Order, yes.

She moved back, disappointed. But this was all she was entitled to know. She knew them: close, silent, a world apart. Little was known about them outside this separate world they inhabited. Though they called themselves guardians of peace.

That answer does not satisfy me, she pleaded. An ache was growing in her, one born of fear and unease.

He looked away, and she saw that he was gazing at some of the artifacts on the wall. It is my duty to prepare him towards knighthood. This I will accomplish. He looked at her. Be at peace. Know that you made the right decision.

She sighed. The strange ache within grew. Her time was almost at an end, she knew. Even this was a reprieve she had not dared hope for. Her questions had been answered, technically. It must do.

As she moved towards the small, transparisteel window, she paused. I will ask you one last time. Dare I leave him in your hands?

He had turned away again, shoulder straight. Silence reigned for a few moments. When he spoke, his voice was very low.

As a guardian would leave a youngling to the care of his parent.

She stared back at him, eyes wide. Unbidden, the image of him carefully wrapping the robe around the youngster floated through her mind. Of bright blue-green eyes. Laughing. After the first wave of incredulous disbelief, a soaring wave of relief and joy spread over her. For the first time, she was ... free.

This had an almost haunting imagery around it - lovely choice of words and the way you set the scene - bravo. =D=

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Qui-Gon certainly didn't want to answer the question, at least not in the way she wanted. I'm glad she pressed him on the answer.

She stared back at him, eyes wide. Unbidden, the image of him carefully wrapping the robe around the youngster floated through her mind. Of bright blue-green eyes. Laughing. After the first wave of incredulous disbelief, a soaring wave of relief and joy spread over her. For the first time, she was ... free.

The caring and regard between Qui-Gon and Obi were very evident in the way they treated each other.

I assume the woman was Obi's mother and she had died?

Very lovely piece.

4. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    the beauty is in what is not said

loved it

5. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    I am really glad to see you back.

This was a touching view of what I presume is Obi-Wan's mother.

Thank you for coming to post again! Your fictions are excellent.

6. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    I just found this story and I love it! I like how Qui-Gon was reluctant to answer her, but did anyway. It says so much! Thanks for writing! :)

7. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    I came back to read this again.

Will I ever see him again?

Yes. As the fruit of my labours.

Ah. She bowed. That will be more than enough.

When he turned, she was gone.

That is so beautiful.
    I cried.

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What a beautiful and poignant piece!

She sighed. The strange ache within grew. Her time was almost at an end, she knew. Even this was a reprieve she had not dared hope for. Her questions had been answered, technically. It must do.

As she moved towards the small, transparisteel window, she paused. I will ask you one last time. Dare I leave him in your hands?

He had turned away again, shoulder straight. Silence reigned for a few moments. When he spoke, his voice was very low.

Will I ever see him again?

Yes. As the fruit of my labours.

Ah. She bowed. That will be more than enough.

When he turned, she was gone.

Lovely! =D=

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

That was touching, any Mother would wonder if they had done the right thing by their child and wonder if the caregiver would do the right thing as well.

Sad and warming.=D=

10. C1-J2

C1-J2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2007
    That was amazing! It was a very poignant way of showing what I'm asuming is Obi's mothers feelings. The Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan moments were awesome!

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

Keep up the great work!

Take Care,
    C1-J2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.