main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Remembering Anakin (ANH AU / C-3PO, R2-D2, Luke, OC) [8/3: completed]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by lazykbys, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazykbys

lazykbys Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    Title: Remembering Anakin
    Author: lazykbys
    Timeframe: several days during and after ANH
    Characters: C-3PO, R2-D2, Luke, OC, etc.
    Genre: slightly AU, drama?
    Keywords: memories
    Summary: A tech discovers Artoo's secret backup memory after the Battle of Yavin, leading to the eventual resurrection of Threepio's PT memories.
    Notes: Inspired by LordTarr's Forgotten Memories.

[b]Remembering Anakin[/b]

When the Rebel Alliance first settled down on Yavin IV, Mandi Kage had claimed as her own a room that was as far away from the starfighter hangar bay as possible. She had hoped this would put a stop to her habit of taking work home, so to speak, but it was only a matter of weeks before she turned it into a second workspace for projects that didn't quite fit with her official duties.

[i]Maybe I'll stop pretending I have a private life and sleep with the X-wings at our next base,[/i] she mused. If nothing else, it would mean less to pack when the Empire discovered where they were hiding. Like, for example, right now. Word of the Rebels' victory had to be speeding towards, if not already at, Coruscant. In a matter of days a fleet of Imperial Star Destroyers was sure to come demanding vengeance.

[i]Don't think about that,[/i] she scolded herself. [i]Concentrate on the job in front of you.[/i]

The job in question was an R2 astromech unit with half its damaged components on display on top of the work table that dominated Mandi's quarters. Its owner, the pilot Luke Skywalker, was peering worriedly at a diagnostic tool. Up close, he didn't look like a Hero of the Rebellion. But he was the one who'd killed the Death Star earlier that day. All the Rebels were talking about it.

All except for Mandi, that is. And, as far as she could tell, Skywalker himself. Unlike a lot of pilots she'd met, he didn't exhibit the planet-sized ego that seemed to be part of the package. On the other hand, she [i]had[/i] heard about his "womp rat" boast made prior to the Death Star mission. Maybe his quiet demeanor was just because he was worried about his droid.

"Anything?" she asked him.

Skywalker shook his head. "I'm not getting anything. I think the shot completely fried Artoo's main circuits."

Mandi switched the wiring on a few logic boards. "Better?"

"No."

"How about if I do this?"

"No - wait, I'm getting a signal! It's weak, but -"

"Hold on to that thought. I think I can . . . aw, shoot!" Mandi leaned away from the astromech, fanning the acrid smoke away from her face. "Where'd you get this droid, anyway? Some of the parts go back before the Clone Wars!"

"We bought him used from Jawas," Skywalker said softly.

Mandi winced as her tragic past sensors detected another family torn apart by the Empire. She never knew what to say in these circumstances. She decided to go on as if nothing had happened. "It might be easier to replace the memory core and the central data processing unit."

Skywalker's face became alarmed at the suggestion. "Wouldn't that make Artoo . . . well, [i]different[/i]?"

"Maybe. But I think it's due for a memory wipe anyway."

"No. I won't let it happen. Artoo and me . . . we've been through a lot together."

Mandi shrugged. "Whatever. I guess we can bend the rules for a Hero."

Her vocal capitalization of the word made him blush. She had to admit he looked cute when he did that. It was too bad he was still young. Mandi liked older men. And while it was true that fighting the Empire made people old before their time, Skywalker had yet to age prematurely in that fashion. [i]If only he was ten years older . . .[/i]

"You and this droid -"

"Artoo."

"Right, you and Artoo. You've had him a long time, huh?"

Skywalker did a double take as his whatever he was about to say got ambushed by arithmetic. "Just a few days, actually. But it seems longer."

Mandi laughed. "I know what you mean. Sometimes you meet people and it's like you've known them sinc

2. HandmaidenVeme

HandmaidenVeme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I want to know what the little guy's hiding as well!

Please add me to your PM list if you have one.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oooh, wonderful idea lazy!!! Might I also be included to the PM list? :D :D

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Great idea! I'd also like to be on your PM list if you've got one! :D [face_praying]

5. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Artoo is actually hiding a lot - This ought to be a fun ride though I think some of what he's hiding will be painful for Luke.

6. Padmeshandmaiden

Padmeshandmaiden Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 1, 2006
    OOOOOO!!! I bet I know what he is hiding. I bet it is Anakin and Padme's wedding along with a couple of other things such as Mustafar. I can not wait to see. PM list please![face_alien_1]

7. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    wow.. what a great story idea!

Someone who knew I would like this pointed it out when I got home today!
    I will keep up with this one

8. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    First - as always, a big thank you to everyone who read this.

Next . . . um, isn't anyone worried about Artoo? I mean, the next post could be Luke & co. watching a holorecording of the wedding while the droid's still a pile of parts. Maybe I need to build a reputation as someone who will kill characters just for the heck of it. [face_thinking]

[/blockquote][b]HandmaidenVeme[/b]: [i]I want to know what the little guy's hiding as well![/i]

You'll have to wait a few more posts. First I need to get Artoo up and running.

[blockquote][hr][/blockquote][color=SpringGreen][hl=Black][u][i][b]Healer_Leona[/b][/i][/u][/hl][/color]: [i]Oooh, wonderful idea [b]lazy[/b]!!![/i]
    [color=LightBlue][hl=DarkBlue][i][b]VaderLVR64[/b][/i][/hl][/color]: [i]Great idea![/i]
    [b]Noelie[/b]: [i]wow.. what a great story idea![/i]

As mentioned in the first post, the core idea (Artoo making a copy of Threepio's memory) is [b]LordTarr[/b]'s. The direction I'm going to take it, however, is completely my own - and I'm willing to bet it's not what you're expecting. Hee hee hee.

[blockquote][hr][/blockquote][b]RebelMom[/b]: [i]This ought to be a fun ride though I think some of what he's hiding will be painful for Luke. [/i]

According to my twisted sense of humor, pain is part of the fun. ]:)

[blockquote][hr][/blockquote][b]Padmeshandmaiden[/b]: [i]I bet it is Anakin and Padme's wedding along with a couple of other things such as Mustafar. I can not wait to see.[/i]

And I can't wait to see your response at how things [i]really[/i] turn out. :D

[blockquote][hr][/blockquote][b]Noelie[/b]: [i]Someone who knew I would like this pointed it out when I got home today![/i]

Really? Thank that someone for me, please. :)

[i]I will keep up with this one[/i]

Thank you! Updates will be on Thursdays, probably early in the morning (board time).

[blockquote][hr][/blockquote][b]HandmaidenVeme[/b]: [i]Please add me to your PM list if you have one.[/i]
    [color=SpringGreen][hl=Black][u][i][b]Healer_Leona[/b][/i][/u][/hl][/color]: [i]Might I also be included to the PM list?[/i]
    [color=LightBlue][hl=DarkBlue][i][b]VaderLVR64[/b][/i][/hl][/color]: [i]I'd also like to be on your PM list if you've got one![/i]
    [b]Padmeshandmaiden[/b]: [i]PM list please![/i]

Righty ho, you're all on the list.

- lazy

9. jedi_princess18

jedi_princess18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    I love this idea. You know, I've always wondered why Artoo never volunteered any information.

Please PM me when you update!

10. Arcalian

Arcalian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Add to PM list please....though I wonder if Luke may not like all that he learns....

11. Dahlia_Santary

Dahlia_Santary Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Oh, I gotta be in that PM list of yours! So, Mandi found a little something in little Artoo. I wonder what it could possibly, possibly be?

Update on Thursday? Is there anyway you can be persuaded to update before that? [face_batting]

12. lazykbys

Oct 21, 2004
    jedi_princess18: I've always wondered why Artoo never volunteered any information.

It could be that he forgot. Quite a lot happened to him between RotS and ANH - e.g., the Droids animated series. Oooh, I feel a trip down Memory Lane coming up . . .

[/blockquote][/blockquote][b]Arcalian[/b]: [i]though I wonder if Luke may not like all that he learns.... [/i]

Assuming he [i]does[/i] learn it. Those who have read my other WIP (the one I [i]swore[/i] I'd update on a more or less regular basis) know that I like keeping things secret from my characters. ]:)[blockquote][blockquote][hr][/blockquote][/blockquote][b]Dahlia_Santary[/b]: [i]Update on Thursday? Is there anyway you can be persuaded to update before that?[/i]

Sorry, but no. RL being what it is, Thursday is the only weekday I can be sure of having time to post stuff.[blockquote][blockquote][hr][/blockquote][/blockquote][b]jedi_princess18[/b]: [i]Please PM me when you update! [/i]
    [b]Arcalian[/b]: [i]Add to PM list please....[/i]
    [b]Dahlia_Santary[/b]: [i]Oh, I gotta be in that PM list of yours![/i]

Sent, sent, and sent. :)

- lazy

[hr]
    Luke didn't know what made the hangar bay seem emptier: the lack of people who'd been there when he had returned victorious from the battle, or the lack of X-wings and other starfighters - and the pilots who flew them - that hadn't made it back.

There were only a handful of techs and pilots present, going over the fighters to make sure they were fit to fly. It was anybody's guess when the Empire would come. Hopefully the Rebels would be long gone when it happened.

[i]I should be cleaning up for the ceremony,[/i] Luke thought. Helping Mandi with Artoo's repairs had given him and his flight suit more stains than the Death Star battle. By all rights he should be busy making himself presentable so the Rebel Alliance wouldn't be ashamed to give him a medal.

It was strange, being a hero. All his life he'd been just Luke, or Wormie to his friends. He didn't [i]feel[/i] like a hero. Now that the initial excitement had passed, he was starting to wonder if he was worthy of it. Sure, he'd saved countless worlds from the threat of the Death Star. But wouldn't a true hero have been able to save people close to him as well?

[i]Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, Biggs, old Ben -[/i]

And, should things go badly, Artoo as well.

"Master Luke," Threepio said, interrupting his thoughts. Again. "How is Artoo? Are you sure he will be all right?"

"Mandi sounded optimistic," Luke replied. According to her, a secondary memory unit had been concealed within the false motivator's casing. Her guess was that it was used to circumvent memory wipes. She had also claimed it should be possible to use that backup memory to reanimate Artoo.

But she hadn't explained exactly how she meant to do this. Nor had she mentioned why she needed Threepio [i]and[/i] the X-wing Luke had flown. On top of all that, she had also neglected to say she would be late.

Luke was considering calling her on his comlink when she arrived, pushed a repulsor sled ahead of her. On it he could see Artoo's blue and white form.

"Sorry I'm late," she apologized. "I didn't think it would take so long to put everything back in. You must be Artoo's counterpart."

"Indeed I am, Mistress. I am See-Threepio, human-cyborg relations. I am fluent in over six million -"

Mandi held up a hand to stop Threepio's torrent of words. "That's nice, but all I need to know right now is that you two are counterparts. Ready?"

"For what?" Luke asked.

"Didn't I tell you? Okay, tell me what you know and I'll fill you in on the rest."

"You told me about the backup memory, but that's about it. How are you going to use it? Why here? And why Threepio?"

Mandi flashed him a toothy grin. "One thing at a time. The data in the memory unit is useless by itself. It needs the core algorithms and the default memory - that is, the parts of a droid that survives memory wipes. Are you with me so far?"

Luke nodded. "Go on."

"[i]But[/i], Ar

13. DarthVaderette

DarthVaderette Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2004
    Hi :)

Can you PM me with updates?

14. Davedrag

Davedrag Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2006
    it's good keep it up:D

15. HandmaidenVeme

HandmaidenVeme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Thanks for the PM!!
    I have no doubt they'll be able to get R2 up and running, but I wonder if when they replay his memories will Luke even know who those people are, and with all the tinkering around will some of Threepio's mememories emerge?

16. jedi_princess18

jedi_princess18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Interesting. I wonder how Threepio's own memory wipe will affect this...

Thanks for the PM!

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Sure, he'd saved countless worlds from the threat of the Death Star. But wouldn't a true hero have been able to save people close to him as well?

Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, Biggs, old Ben -

Awww, as much as one would like to one can't save everyone. [:D] SO there's no big interest at this point to see the old memories. Makes it even more exciting. :D :D Makes perfect sense that both the X-Wing and 3PO are needed for R2's reconstruction.

Fascinating update lazy!

18. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Ah, Hope for Artoo. I hope they can back up enough information to boot him up.

Please add me to your PM list.

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Artoo [face_love] Gotta love him! (Or it, or her?? :confused: )

Thank you for the PM, I wouldn't want to miss a single post of this!

=D= =D=

20. Dahlia_Santary

Dahlia_Santary Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2005
  21. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    DarthVaderette: Hi :)

[Obi-Wan] Hello there. [/Obi-Wan]

Davedrag: it's good keep it up

I'll most certainly try (insert Yoda quote).

HandmaidenVeme: I wonder if when they replay his memories will Luke even know who those people are,

Er, if Artoo turns out okay, then he'll be there to tell Luke who's who. Not that I'm saying that will happen, but just pointing it out. And - well, Anakin and Padmé were probably holonews celebrities, y'know? I'm sure some of the older Rebels would recognize them.

and with all the tinkering around will some of Threepio's mememories emerge?

Threepio's PT memories will be ressurected later in this fic. But I ain't saying how.

jedi_princess18: Interesting. I wonder how Threepio's own memory wipe will affect this...

:eek: Darn it, I should have taken that into consideration when I wrote this! Now I'll have to rewrite the whole dang thing and . . . just kidding. :p

Healer_Leona: Awww, as much as one would like to one can't save everyone.

You know, I think I have an unhealthy fascination with survivor's guilt. And with wanting to take heroes down a peg or two.

SO there's no big interest at this point to see the old memories. Makes it even more exciting.

Let's call this the Monster Movie Method. You get as much milage out of anticipation and a few quick glimpses as possible before having the monster jump out of the shadows.

RebelMom: I hope they can back up enough information to boot him up.

Fear not! The next chapter will be from Artoo's POV (actually, 3rd POV limited - but you know what I mean).

VaderLVR64: Artoo [face_love] Gotta love him! (Or it, or her?? :confused: )

Him. Most definitely him. Because, y'know, he's got this masculine programming thingy. A female Artoo would be . . . *gives plot bunnies a wary look*

Dahlia_Santary: Up!

*slow, weary sigh*

Normally I don't respond to ups, but -

No upping unless it's been at least a day since the last post, okay? Thanks.

DarthVaderette: Can you PM me with updates?
    RebelMom: Please add me to your PM list.

Right on. You're both on the list now.

- lazy

22. Davedrag

Davedrag Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2006
    love it oh is luke going to be surprised when r2-d2 knew his moma and daddy:D

23. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    But wouldn't a true hero have been able to save people close to him as well?
    Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, Biggs, old Ben -
    And, should things go badly, Artoo as well.

I like this reference to much of Anakins motivations and fall!
    I find this story a very interesting premise, and hope to see more!

24. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Davedrag: oh is Luke going to be surprised when R2-D2 knew his moma and daddy

[Luke] No! That's not true! That's impossible! [/Luke] :D

Araxie: I like this reference to much of Anakin's motivations and fall!

Um . . . gosh. I never thought of it like that before. It must be the archetype. Yeah.

I find this story a very interesting premise, and hope to see more!

I'll post an update tomorrow, as scheduled.

Thanks for reading, folks!

- lazy

25. lazykbys

Oct 21, 2004
    Note: Artoo's dialogue is in italics because it's in Binary. Anyway, none of the alternatives - [brackets], CAPITAL LETTERS, colored text, abusing links, 1337 5p33k (once was quite enough, thank you very much), 1337 \/\/i7h 7r4n514710nz (please, don't click on this link because a 404 often offends), etc. - seemed right.

- lazy

Droids do not sleep. Therefore, the metaphor of death being but a deep slumber is lost on them. The closest they can come to the concept is powering down when their services are not required. Even then, they are marginally aware of their surroundings, which is why deactivation comes as a shock to them.

It took R2-D2 several cycles to adjust to the sudden shift in reality. One moment he was in a landspeeder headed towards Mos Eisley, the next he was . . . [i]not[/i].

His internal chronometer indicated a day had passed between then and now. However, there was nothing in his data banks to tell him what had happened during the interval. A quick self-check diagnostic informed him that much of his old circuitry had been replaced with new logic boards.

R2-D2 cursed inwardly. He'd spent years adjusting those circuits. Still, it was probably better than the alternative - whatever it was.

"Artoo Detoo, thank the Maker you're alive!" The voice was instantly recognizable as C-3PO's. A quick visual scan told him Luke and a human technician were also nearby. Unlike C-3PO, who now seemed embarrassed by his show of concern, Luke looked delighted.

"I'm glad you're back with us, Artoo," the young human said. "For a while I thought we lost you."

"[i]Lost?[/i]" R2-D2 whistled a query for more data at C-3PO.

"I don't understand the specifics, but your primary memory core was damaged. Really, Artoo, you should learn to be more careful."

The information made him rock on his treads. "[i]My prime core? Damaged? But that means . . . I[/i] died!"

C-3PO gave him an odd look. "What do you mean, died? Of course you haven't, you silly droid. It's not like you had your memory wiped."

R2-D2 started to explain, but getting his counterpart to understand his distress was as futile as calculating [i]pi[/i] to the last digit. C-3PO simply couldn't get it through his circuits that a droid was not merely the sum of his data. Digital information could be downloaded, whereas the core algorithm was what made individual droids unique.

It occurred to him that C-3PO might sympathize that, due to the damage and subsequent repairs, there were parts of his memory - which, strictly speaking, was also his predecessor's memory - that he was having trouble accessing. But this was merely a minor irritation. And having C-3PO feel sorry for this would be a [i]major[/i] irritation.

"[i]Just like a protocol droid,[/i]" R2-D2 beeped with scorn. "[i]You can't see anything past the surface.[/i]"

"And I suppose you think [i]you[/i] can? Just because you are equipped with scanners does not mean -"

"Cool it, guys," Luke interceded. "You're both suffering from post-battle stress."

"I beg your pardon, Master Luke, but droids are not susceptible to emotional imbalances."

"Really? You could have fooled me. Anyway, you two have an appointment with a lube tub. I want you looking your best at the ceremony."

R2-D2 swiveled his dome back to face C-3PO. Likewise, his counterpart turned to look at him. One of the advantages of being in a counterpart relationship is the ability to know, sometimes, what is going on in the other's logic boards without exchanging data. In this case, both knew this was not the time to argue.

"Of course, Master Luke. I apologize for Artoo's behavior."

R2-D2 only warbled weakly in protest. Until he had integrated the old memory files with his core algorithms, he would defer to C-3PO in matters of human-droid relations. He only hoped it wouldn't last too long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.