main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Remembering Anakin (ANH AU / C-3PO, R2-D2, Luke, OC) [8/3: completed]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by lazykbys, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Alethia: But I also want to see more of Luke, how it's affecting him to find out even the basics about Anakin.

There's a bit of that coming up in the next chapter. :)

[Anakin and Obi-Wan] were heroes and it's really not that far-fetched at all to think that people would have heard of them.

So very true. I wonder how the retcon people at LFL handled this apparent contradiction. My bet is a really effective anti-Jedi propaganda campaign - or, perhaps, one that brands the Jedi as incompetent.

For [Threepio] to be confronted with his past self and memories... Well, it definitely seems like it will have interesting consequences.

Oh, it will. Probably not one you're expecting, but . . . *suppresses urge to spoil*

obsessedwithSW: Been having computer problems, I think I need to buy a new one. I had to sneak on a friends to check my PMs.

Sorry to hear that. I hope the problems get solved, one way or the other.

I thought Artoo would be interested in the news C-3PO gave him but he is after something else.

So far, Threepio hasn't said much that Artoo doesn't know. He's just letting PT Threepio talk for OT Threepio's sake - and not just to bring him up to speed. (Besides, why bother with second-hand knowledge when you can have first-hand experience?) Artoo's letting the protocol droids get used to each other as well.

Perhaps I overplayed my "keep the contents of Artoo's memory vague" card. Hmm . . .

- lazy

2. lazykbys

lazykbys Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    Luke sat across the table from Han, trying to keep his mind on the sabacc cards and failing miserably. Already he'd lost a hundred credits to the smuggler. It was hard to concentrate on a game when bigger things were at stake.

"Then there was the Battle of Cyclex," Han said as he dealt himself another card chip. "The Separatists had a self-replicating droid factory in the asteroid belt. When Republic troops tried to attack, the droids turned on the engines they'd built into the rocks and used them as missles. Only Anakin went in, cool as vacuum, danced around the asteroids like a Twi'lek girl, and brought down the control ship with a couple of missiles. Raise you another ten credits."

"Huh?"

Han groaned. "We're playing sabacc, remember?"

"Oh. Right. Sure . . . um, I call. Twenty-one."

"Sorry, kid. Twenty-two." Han grinned as he reached over to take his winnings. "You're never going to be a good card player if you're distracted that easy. You know that, right?"

Luke shrugged. "I guess. It's just that nobody ever told me the truth about my real father."

"What do you mean, 'real'? Were you adopted or something?"

"Yes. Well, no. Not exactly. But . . . I just want to know the truth - who he really was, instead of the lies Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru told me."

Han gave the card chips a half-hearted shuffle. "You sure you really want to know? Sometimes it's better not to."

"What do you mean?"

"Well . . . sometimes kids have dreams about their parents. They want them to be good and strong and all that. But they find out they aren't, and get all angry because of it. Then they start blaming their folks for not being who they wanted them to be."

Luke looked at the smuggler, and for a moment saw the hurt little boy Han must have been a long time ago. He asked quietly, "Was it that bad for you?"

Instead of answering, Han picked up his mug and scowled into it. He muttered, "I said too much."

"Han -"

He gave him a tired grin as he stood up. "Maybe next time, Luke. Maybe next time."

3. jedi_princess18

jedi_princess18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    I really liked Han here- he gave some insight into his own past while offering Luke some advice. Awesome post!

4. Arcalian

Arcalian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Yeah, Han would know, wouldn't he?

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Han is wise. [face_thinking]

Luke shrugged. "I guess. It's just that nobody ever told me the truth about my real father."

"What do you mean, 'real'? Were you adopted or something?"

"Yes. Well, no. Not exactly. But . . . I just want to know the truth - who he really was, instead of the lies Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru told me."

Han gave the card chips a half-hearted shuffle. "You sure you really want to know? Sometimes it's better not to."

"What do you mean?"

"Well . . . sometimes kids have dreams about their parents. They want them to be good and strong and all that. But they find out they aren't, and get all angry because of it. Then they start blaming their folks for not being who they wanted them to be."

I read somewhere that it is a terrible moment for children to realize that their parents are merely human, with all the faults and virtues of anyone else. I was reminded of that when I read this.

=D=

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wow, Han's really showing his wisdom there. It's very much a sad fact of life.

Luke looked at the smuggler, and for a moment saw the hurt little boy Han must have been a long time ago. He asked quietly, "Was it that bad for you

Amazing what you learn about your friends over a friendly game of cards.

7. Darth-Buddy

Darth-Buddy Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Wow, I finally got caught up. Threepio is cracking me up with all of the "we" and pluralisms regarding himselves. I am surprised that Han remembered so much about the Clone wars, nice job.=D=

8. HandmaidenVeme

HandmaidenVeme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Han gave us a glimps of what his life was like growing up...Poor Han:( . All in all he was able to make something of himself. (yeah he was a smuggler at first, and yes he did have a price on his head, but deep down he meant well and look how he eventually turned out)

9. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005

"What do you mean?"

Maybe Han will give Yoda a run for his money as the ole wise mentor. Luke is learning more from Han than the driods I think!
    Good Job Lazy.

10. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    jedi_princess18: I really liked Han here - he gave some insight into his own past while offering Luke some advice.

I'm not sure why, but the best advice - or, at least, the sort you listen to - seems to come from experience. Possibly this signifies a lack of confidence in the powers of reasoning.

Arcalian: Yeah, Han would know, wouldn't he?

Yup. Having a bloodthirsty pirate in your family tree can do that to a man.

VaderLVR64: I read somewhere that it is a terrible moment for children to realize that their parents are merely human, with all the faults and virtues of anyone else.

I remember reading that, too. There's also a little of the orphan factor thrown in for good measure.

Healer_Leona: Han's really showing his wisdom there.

When it comes to disillusionment, I would say Han knows more than practically any other SW character.

Darth-Buddy: Threepio is cracking me up with all of the "we" and pluralisms regarding himselves.

That wasn't intentional - but hey, it's good to laugh, yes?

I am surprised that Han remembered so much about the Clone wars.

Personally, I'm surprised the OT cast doesn't remember so much. I mean, it's probably the biggest thing that ever happened in the last millennia or so.

HandmaidenVeme: All in all [Han] was able to make something of himself. (yeah he was a smuggler at first, and yes he did have a price on his head, but deep down he meant well and look how he eventually turned out)

When you think about everything life has thrown at young Han, it's a miracle he remained a decent guy. Although I'm just a little bit disappointed that the EU put a polish on his past - I would have preferred a bit more dirt.

obsessedwithSW: Maybe Han will give Yoda a run for his money as the ole wise mentor.

Erm . . . not with his cynical nature, I don't think.

Luke is learning more from Han than the driods I think!

Chalk it up to my bent nature. [face_devil]

And to everyone who's reading this story: Thanks for reading!

- lazy

11. lazykbys

Oct 21, 2004
    Mandi would be the first person to admit she didn't know much about the Jedi. She'd only been seven or eight when the so-called Jedi Purges began, and most of her knowledge was based on second- and third-hand rumors. However, she knew enough to know that Anakin Skywalker's life, as being told by Threepio's previous self, had not been one of an average Jedi.

"They got married? And they didn't tell anyone?"

The droids stopped to stare blankly at her, or at least they would have if they had facial expressions. Mandi wondered if she should have kept her mouth shut, or even left when it turned into a private conversation. But it wouldn't have been possible without her expertise. They owed her.

That's what she told herself, anyway.

"That is correct, Mistress," the silver-headed Threepio said at last. "I do not understand the reasoning behind it - only that Mistress Padmé did not even invite her family. Aside from Artoo and myself, there were no guests at their wedding."

"Well, that's strange. What happened next?"

"I'm sure Artoo can provide more details than I can, Mistress. My ownership was transferred to Mistress Padmé in exchange for Artoo."

Mandi gave Artoo a bemused glance. "Why? Didn't they have rings? No - don't answer that. Rings would have been too conspicuous. But who'd notice that a pilot got an astromech and a senator got a protocol droid, right?"

"I believe that was their intention, Mistress. I must say I was quite happy to be able to fulfill my primary objective."

"But you said Anakin made you to help his mother," Mandi pointed out.

"Well, yes. But I am a protocol droid. I'm afraid my skills were not very well utilized on Tatooine."

"I guess not. So . . . the two got married and swapped you two. And then what?"

"I served Mistress Padmé, assisting her with routine senatorial duties. As for Master Anakin, you will have too ask Artoo. Artoo?"

The astromech whistled something in a low key.

"What do you mean, you don't want to say?" the golden Threepio said. "You're the one who insisted, remember?"

This prompted another low whistle accompanied by soft trills.

The Threepios exchanged looks. Then the gold one said, "I am sorry, Mistress, but Artoo says that what he is about to say is quite sensitive. I don't know what it is, but -"

"I get the point. I'm not wanted here, am I?" She checked the computer's logs and said, "I don't think anything will go wrong, so I guess I'll just excuse myself."

It was an interesting story, but she didn't need to know. Not really. Anyway, she was starting to feel like a voyeur. Before she left, Mandi turned to Artoo and said, "I don't think anything unexpected will happen, but if it does . . . kill the connection, okay?"

12. Arcalian

Arcalian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Yeah Artoo is thinking how in the name of the Maker do I explain this?

13. jedi_princess18

Jun 7, 2005
    The old Threepio sure isn't holding anything back, is he?

At least Artoo is a little more discreet... Vader has no idea what he owes that little droid.

14. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Never thought of 3PO and R2 being wedding gifts. Very practical anyway.

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wedding presents? That does make perfect sense! I'm quite impressed with Mandi not tyring to get more info out of the droids out of curiosty.

16. HandmaidenVeme

Jun 28, 2004
    Do tell R2! Inquiring minds want to know!!!

17. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I can't wait to hear Artoo's side of the story! :D

"I guess not. So . . . the two got married and swapped you two. And then what?"

"I served Mistress Padmé, assisting her with routine senatorial duties. As for Master Anakin, you will have too ask Artoo. Artoo?"

The astromech whistled something in a low key.

"What do you mean, you don't want to say?" the golden Threepio said. "You're the one who insisted, remember?"

This prompted another low whistle accompanied by soft trills.

The Threepios exchanged looks. Then the gold one said, "I am sorry, Mistress, but Artoo says that what he is about to say is quite sensitive. I don't know what it is, but -"

"I get the point. I'm not wanted here, am I?" She checked the computer's logs and said, "I don't think anything will go wrong, so I guess I'll just excuse myself."

It was an interesting story, but she didn't need to know. Not really. Anyway, she was starting to feel like a voyeur. Before she left, Mandi turned to Artoo and said, "I don't think anything unexpected will happen, but if it does . . . kill the connection, okay?"

They sound just like they did in the movies! =D=

18. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    As always, many thanks to everyone who's reading this. I'd e-hug the lot of you, but I'm just not a hugging sort of guy - even on the Internet. [face_handshake]

Arcalian: Yeah, Artoo is thinking how in the name of the Maker do I explain this?

Maybe. But please note how he doesn't have to, because Threepio (PT) is there.

jedi_princess18: The old Threepio sure isn't holding anything back, is he?

Ha! You ain't heard nothing from him. For example, he hasn't told you what it was like living with Shmi, who refused to "clothe" him until years after Anakin left.

Vader has no idea what he owes that little droid.

That would be a matter of interpretation, I think. After all, if it weren't for Artoo, the Death Star would still be in one piece and the Rebellion would be crushed.

RebelMom: Never thought of Threepio and Artoo being wedding gifts. Very practical anyway.

It is, isn't it? I think I got this from a Lit thread.

Healer_Leona: I'm quite impressed with Mandi not tyring to get more info out of the droids out of curiosty.

Well, the thing is, you see, um . . . Mandi's a Convenient Character. Her main purpose is to move the plot along in the direction I want it to go. And frankly, having her listen to the droids talk about the past any more wouldn't move the story anywhere.

HandmaidenVeme: Inquiring minds want to know!

The Secret Love Life of Jedi Anakin Skywalker
    A Thousand-Year-Old Cult Is Controlling the Clone Wars
    My Baby Was a Secret Force Experiment

Please be honest - would you believe any of those articles? Seriously?

VaderLVR64: I can't wait to hear Artoo's side of the story!

Well, if you absolutely cannot wait -

"Larble twurble bliiip!"

You'll have to wait till Thursday to find out what that means. :p

- lazy

19. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005

What is coming next that Artoo is being so careful about?
    I understand Mandi's perspective-your own life seems complicated enough no need to get the dirt on others.
    Good job Lazy I be looking foward to fridays post.

20. lazykbys

Oct 21, 2004
    obsessedwithSW: What is coming next that Artoo is being so careful about?

As you've probably guessed by now, Mustafar. It's not a matter of keeping the information contained, but of making sure they're able to present it to Luke in a manner of their own choosing.

I understand Mandi's perspective - your own life seems complicated enough no need to get the dirt on others.

And yet people keep buying tabloids . . . [face_devil]

- lazy

Threepio waited to speak until he could no longer hear her footsteps. "All right, Artoo. What is so sensitive you had to chase Mistress Mandi away?"

Instead of Artoo, it was his predecessor who answered. "I believe I know. It's about what happened shortly before my memory was wiped, isn't it?"

Artoo bleeped an affirmative. "[i]On Mustafar,[/i]" he said simply.

"No. I believe it began earlier."

"[i]Are you sure?[/i]"

"I overheard Mistress Padmé and Master Kenobi on Coruscant."

"[i]'Overheard'?[/i]"

"I was concerned about Master Anakin," the silver droid head intoned in a stiff voice.

"Would you mind explaining what happened?" Threepio asked. "Some of us weren't present at the time." He glared at Artoo, almost daring him to say that, from a certain point of view, Threepio [i]had[/i] been there. But Artoo remained strangely quiet.

Threepio's predecessor continued, seemingly oblivious to this silent feud. "Before he left for Mustafar, Master Anakin led a clone trooper raid on the jedi Temple. None of the Jedi survived the attack."

"Wait. Do you mean to say -"

"Yes," his predecessor confirmed. "Master Anakin killed them all. Even the children, it seems. Mistress Padmé was most upset by this news. So much, in fact, that she followed Master Anakin to confront him on Mustafar."

". . . And then?"

"Tragedy, I'm afraid. Although Mistress Padmé tried to talk some sense into him, Master Anakin refused to listen. He went so far as to accuse her of conspiring against him."

"But why?" Threepio wanted to know. "How could someone change from a hero to a mass murderer? What could have changed him so drastically?"

"I don't know. However, Master Anakin was becoming overly obsessed with dreams of losing Mistress Padmé. She dismissed it as a first-time father's nervousness, but it [i]is[/i] possible the psychological stress drove him insane."

Threepio nodded. "You may be right. Organics are fragile like that. Unfortunately, this begs the question: how should we present his father's history to Master Luke?"

Artoo suggested, "[i]If we leave out the last few days, we can give Luke Jedi Anakin Skywalker. He doesn't need to know about the madness.[/i]"

"But it doesn't feel like the proper thing to do. Lying, even by omission, is not something I wish to make a habit of."

"[i]I could delete this conversation from your memory if you like.[/i]"

"Artoo, that is [i]not[/i] funny. Please refrain from telling such tasteless jokes."

"[i]Do I sound like I'm joking? There was a reason your memories were wiped, you know.[/i]"

"Are you suggesting I can't keep a secret?"

"You [i]did[/i] mention that you found hiding the truth disturbing," his predecessor pointed out.

Threepio snapped, "That is beside the point. Memories are what define us - sentients, I mean. Denying them from someone is the same as obstructing that someone's growth." He paused as a thought occurred to him. "How would [i]you[/i] handle this situation?"

There was a slight pause before the silver head spoke. "Before I respond, I would like to ask a question of my own. What will happen to me when this is over? I doubt you can afford to keep sharing your central core like this."

"No, I'm afraid not. Even if I wanted to, they would never allow a protocol droid to be kept in this unproductive state."

"Does that mean I will be deactivated, then?"

"Yes," Threepio said, and as he did he finally realized what this meant: he was sentencing a fellow droid to his doom. It didn't help that there was no way around this dilemma without extensive modifications. And s

21. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Another great update! I love your portrayal of Threepio here, he really comes to life (in a droid sort of way, of course!)

"But why?" Threepio wanted to know. "How could someone change from a hero to a mass murderer? What could have changed him so drastically?"

"I don't know. However, Master Anakin was becoming overly obsessed with dreams of losing Mistress Padmé. She dismissed it as a first-time father's nervousness, but it is possible the psychological stress drove him insane."

Threepio nodded. "You may be right. Organics are fragile like that. Unfortunately, this begs the question: how should we present his father's history to Master Luke?"

Yes, that IS the question, isn't it? [face_thinking]

22. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    I agree with C3PO lies by omission isnt the answer.

What does Artoo have in mind now?

Does that mean I will be deactivated, then?"

"Yes," Threepio said, and as he did he finally realized what this meant: he was sentencing a fellow droid to his doom. It didn't help that there was no way around this dilemma without extensive modifications. And since it was simpler and less expensive to erase a droid's memory, there was no doubt in his mind which the Rebel techs would prefer.

"I'm sorry," he said to his predecessor, "but there is no practical alternative."
    Then Artoo asked, "What if there was?"

Good post LAzy thanks for the pm.

23. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    3PO considers himself sentient. That doesn't surprise me. I can see him not wanting to lie to Luke.

And now Artoo has an idea to keep 2 3POs? Should be interesting.

24. HandmaidenVeme

Jun 28, 2004
    2 Threepios....I can only imagine...

Is the galaxy ready for 2 of them?

25. jedi_princess18

Jun 7, 2005
    I find it interesting that Artoo offered to keep both Threepios going- he seemed to have a hard enough time just getting along with one!!

It will be interesting to see what the droids decide to tell Luke...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.